CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   phys ed midterm (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=77543)

Joshua Morgan 09-04-2012 11:37 AM

phys ed midterm

I'd like some input on getting a midterm together.

Standards:
2 mile jog

1 min, 30 sec plank hold

Push ups: 30 girls, 50 boys

Vsits: 30 girls, 40 boys

100 jumping jacks without stop

50 burpees without stop

Thoughts?

John C Corona 09-04-2012 11:47 AM

Re: phys ed midterm

[QUOTE=Joshua Morgan;1091127]
[B]Thoughts[/B]?[/QUOTE]

Im thinking I wish I was psychic, cause maybe I'd know what your asking...

Joshua Morgan 09-04-2012 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=John C Corona;1091132]Im thinking I wish I was psychic, cause maybe I'd know what your asking...[/QUOTE]

Looking for suggestions on possible benchmarks that others might have if they were running a gym class.

Dustin Wintczak 09-04-2012 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=Joshua Morgan;1091127]I'd like some input on getting a midterm together.

Standards:
2 mile jog

1 min, 30 sec plank hold

Push ups: 30 girls, 50 boys

Vsits: 30 girls, 40 boys

100 jumping jacks without stop

50 burpees without stop

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

How old are the people being tested? It seems ok with the exception of possibly the 50 UB burpees. That would seem to be a bit much for a group of people who aren't athletes.

Rebecca Roth 09-04-2012 12:24 PM

Seems like you should have done an entry benchmark that you could have retested for improvement at midterm and finals... how would any of those things be meaningful to test if you don't know where the student started?

FWIW, I can't even do 50 burpees without stopping and unless you've trained someone on V-ups specifically 30 is going to take awhile. Every thing you've listed is going to favor those who are shorter and lower body weight. Any chance of Rowing or throwing something mildly heavy for distance or broad jumps to even it out?

John C Corona 09-04-2012 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=Joshua Morgan;1091144]Looking for suggestions on possible benchmarks that others might have if they were running a gym class.[/QUOTE]

*edit* /\ what she said.

How bout % improvements, not really setting reps in stone. How can you expect someone without any pushups to get 50 by mid semester? What grade age ability do they have already? Also, someone who is already advanced in their training will not make gains like newbies.

Daniel Frankle would smoke that test.

Joshua Morgan 09-04-2012 12:53 PM

They're 6th-12th grade. I've been working with them for 6 weeks now.
I'm mainly wanting to do some nontraditional type fitness testing. Doing pretesting would have been a great idea. I wish I had thought about that.

I'm trying to be a bit different in approaching fitness for the kids. Today's warmup before free play time was
10 rounds of:
1 lap around the court, 30 sec plank, 10 alternating cross v-ups, 10 push ups
Water break
4 rounds of:
1 bleacher run, 30:10 of rev lunges, jump squats, and squat thrusts

Rebecca Roth 09-04-2012 12:59 PM

[QUOTE=Joshua Morgan;1091163]They're 6th-12th grade. I've been working with them for 6 weeks now.
I'm mainly wanting to do some nontraditional type fitness testing. Doing pretesting would have been a great idea. I wish I had thought about that.

I'm trying to be a bit different in approaching fitness for the kids. Today's warmup before free play time was
10 rounds of:
Water break
4 rounds of:
1 bleacher run, 30:10 of rev lunges, jump squats, and squat thrusts[/QUOTE]

I get that you are trying to do all around fitness, but no joke you are going to pretty much demoralize any bigger kids - even if they are just built broad/large and not actually fat. Work in short speed/agility drills (think football type training - sprints that will take 15 sec or less for instance), maybe some sandbag (backpack?) carries, flexibility (splits, bridge ups, basic gymnastics) things other body types have a shot at excelling in. Everything in both your posts is going to be easier for small, lightweights.

Dustin Wintczak 09-04-2012 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=Joshua Morgan;1091163]They're 6th-12th grade. I've been working with them for 6 weeks now.

[B]10 rounds of:
Water break
4 rounds of:
1 bleacher run, 30:10 of rev lunges, jump squats, and squat thrusts[/QUOTE][/B]

That was your warm-up? :yikes:...for highschool gym....brutal. I'm all for kids staying active and being fit but if I'm reading that correctly. That's 100 v-ups, 100 push-ups and 5.5 minutes of planking, short break and then reverse lunges, jump squats and squat thrusts?

Sean Smith 09-04-2012 11:39 PM

Remember to have some fun with these kids. Play CF Dodgeball or something, don't just workout for an hour straight.