CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   "Civilized" society and the death of indigenous people. (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=9696)

Jonathon Edward 11-14-2006 09:22 AM

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3859872a7144,00.html

It's a sobering truth that the western lifestyle is not only killing us, but, like a virus, is also infecting and destroying the health of even the most sheltered cultures.

Steve Liberati 11-14-2006 12:54 PM

On one hand its really sad (been to two funerals in the last 2 wks...both due to heart attack related deaths...both overweight guys...the one was only 27 yrs old with two kids).

On the other hand, maybe information as such will act as a wake-up call for some people. Hopefully, more ppl start to realize the slow destruction they are doing to their bodies and as a result begin to take their health more seriously (before its too late!).

Unfortunately the fact remains most people won't change their ways until its either too late or their face with no other options. Sad but true.

Good link by the way Jonathon. I enjoyed the article.

Mike ODonnell 11-14-2006 08:32 PM

"Unfortunately the fact remains most people won't change their ways until its either too late or their face with no other options. Sad but true. "

Very sad..and very true.

Just ask anyone and they will tell you that they need to exercise and eat better....yet most people dont do it...we need to change that general opinion somehow to fix the big problem.

Paul Symes 11-15-2006 03:50 AM

There was just a diabetes expert on TV (UK Channel 5) who said that the reason some races are more likely to get diabetes because of something called the thrifty gene which, she said, made people who came from poor countries more likely to store fat because of the risk of starvation. She seemed to think that being fat is what makes people diabetic. Is she right? I thought having diabetes made you fat not the other way round but I'm don't know about these things, she was doctor....

It does make more sense, to me anyway, is that they just haven't been eating man-made food for as long as Europeans have.

Jonathon Edward 11-15-2006 05:46 AM

Paul - Very similar to the age old question, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" :-)

The fact of the matter is that the indigenous people are not equipped to deal with these types of food, but neither are we! I think what's really atttention grabbing about groups like the Maori and disease is the stark contrast before and after the introduction of modern food. No one is going to take notice when someone in the western world is fat or diabetic, but when you have an extremely healthy people who start to resemble a western culture (in terms of health) it's like night and day.

Back to the diabetes and fat issue. I don't think that it's necessarily one way or the other. People become fat and/or diabetic due to insulin resistance. IMHO, testing for insulin levels would provide a much better picture of the health of a person. You can have normal sugar but abnormally high insulin levels. As you become more and more insulin resistant, your body has to pump out exponentially more insulin to keep your sugar stable. What I'm getting at is being thin does does not mean you can not get diabetes (without gaining much weight) and being overweight does not necessarily mean you have diabetes. The overweight condition and diabetes both stem from the same pathology, but they are not always intimately connected.

Mike ODonnell 11-15-2006 06:23 AM

I've seen plenty of healthy looking thin and muscular people with diabetes....

Coach said it at one point somewhere where there really is only one disease, hyperglycemia (sp?). That leads to heart problems, obesity, increase in risk of cancer, and other degenerative diseases.

Ben Kaminski 11-15-2006 07:29 AM

This is pretty well documented in Weston Price's book, where the same thing took place 80 years ago across the world.

Indigenous people typically are totally ignorant that their diet keeps them healthy. Unfortunately they are also the least adapted of all of us to modern foods. When modern foods arrive they are embraced as status symbols, tasting good, and the old ways typically are discarded.

For some unknown reason, these people usually don't grasp the correlation between their change in diet and their new medical problems. The scientific method must not be instictive.

In one case of an Eskimo family, they had abandoned their self-heated igloos and built a "modern" home that required a constant wood fire to stay warm. They also changed their diet to bread, jams, etc. Their daughter developed tuberculosis as a result of malnutrition. An explorer realized that their lifestyle had kept them healthy and literally threw them out of their house. They were forced to go back to their previous way of living, and their daughter recovered.

I think that basically what we are seeing is Survival of the Fittest. There are not enough animals to feed all the people that we have on this planet. So, people will have to adapt to be able to eat mostly grains.

Hone Watson 11-15-2006 10:36 PM

I'm half Maori and what I can tell you is no form of grains, dairy, or sugar existed in the Maori diet up until about 100 - 150 years ago.

Many Maori and Pacific Islanders probably have undiagnosed celiac disease which increases the risk of getting diabetes when consuming processed carbs quite significantly.

James Lewis 11-16-2006 12:27 PM

"On the other hand, maybe information as such will act as a wake-up call for some people. Hopefully, more ppl start to realize the slow destruction they are doing to their bodies and as a result begin to take their health more seriously (before its too late!).

People have been getting seriously ill and dying from cigarette smoking for decades, and die-hard smokers don't care a bit. A common comment: you gotta die of something! or "my grandfather smoked 3 packs a day and lived to be 95" blah blah blah. Because the damage we do to our bodies is invisible (until it is too late) we seldom get scared, and unfortunately (like watching a horror movie) we quickly forget the scare.

Remember the pictures of the smoky black lungs you saw as a kid in school (or at least I did). I was lucky enough to have a American Cancer Society guy come out with an actual set of cigarette smoke and tar infested lungs...wow!

Mike ODonnell 11-16-2006 12:43 PM

Glutony is one of the seven deadly sins....but more celebrated nowadays. People have lost all grasp of perspective on the fact that our bodies are a gift and it is our moral responsibility to take care of it.

Sad to see people slowly killing themselves on a daily basis....with no regard for saving themselves. And how are people expected to respect others when they can't even respect themselves?

Best thing a doctor could do will tell his patient he will be dead in 1 year unless he makes changes....that's what it takes nowadays.