CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Macros consumption question. (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=84268)

Omar Omar 09-17-2013 06:37 PM

Macros consumption question.

Hey everyone.

So it was suggested to me by the Zone calculator to do 19 blocks

171 g carbs

133 g proteins

57 g fats

I am currently 187# 22%BF according to my weight scale. I train about 9-11 hours per week doing 2 weightlifting sessions a week and the rest is all wrestling and grappling.

I must maintain a weight of about 170 pounds (give or take 5 pounds) but I hope to reduce body fat to 12-15 %

I am not going totally out of my way to "stay in the zone" but I will try to consistently stay within my Macros. Do you suggest i cut down on carbs on rest days and days where I am not training much or should i aim consistently for that amount of carbs each and every day?

Also, what are good sources of carbs asides from the vegetables which i usually consume in abundance.

Blaise Davis 09-17-2013 07:51 PM

Re: Macros consumption question.

protein is important when cutting I suggest at least 1g per pound of bodyweight if you want to maintain or increase strength while trying to lean out....

Phil Washlow 09-18-2013 08:24 AM

Lower carbs on rest days will help you lean out.

Omar Omar 09-18-2013 10:26 AM

Okay. Would you suggest something like the fallowing:

20-30 g carbs on rest days
50-60 g carbs on days of 1 hour of training
Reach 171 g only on instances where I'm doing more than one hour of training.

Or could the above carbs macros be too little and have an impact on recovery?
Thanks.

Jeff Enge 09-18-2013 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=Omar Omar;1195238]Also, what are good sources of carbs asides from the vegetables which i usually consume in abundance.[/QUOTE]

Potatoes and rice are good, clean carb sources.

[QUOTE=Omar Omar;1195331]Okay. Would you suggest something like the fallowing:

20-30 g carbs on rest days
50-60 g carbs on days of 1 hour of training
Reach 171 g only on instances where I'm doing more than one hour of training.

Or could the above carbs macros be too little and have an impact on recovery?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

What's the point of even looking at the Zone if you're going to go so far away from its recommendation most days?

Omar Omar 09-18-2013 12:08 PM

Hey Jeff

I went to other sources (other than the zone) that either prescribed way too much or way too little macros so the zone was sorta the happy middle to use as a starting point.

I want to stick to the macros for 2-4 months then adjust them accordingly. So for me its not about the zone its more about having set macros to fallow.

So I'm not sure if 171 g carbs is okay to do daily or if i should cut carbs on low or rest days

Jeff Enge 09-18-2013 12:15 PM

Probably OK to do daily. That's the right place - and the easiest - to start cutting cals though if you don't see the results you want.

You can certainly modify and eat less on rest days if you'd like, but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid carbs entirely. Which is what 20-60g carbs would be.

John L. Mclaughlin 09-18-2013 12:51 PM

Why do some of you guys eat such low levels of carbs?! I'm not being mena, i just really want to know. I eat a lot of carbs, mostly from whole grains and legumes. No HFCS, sugars, or white starches though. But still, when i did calculate my macros( I don't any more) i was clocking around 280+ carbs a day. However, I do workout for 2+ hours a day, almost everyday(except sudnay) doing WODs and then olympic lifting.

Jeff Enge 09-18-2013 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=John L. Mclaughlin;1195363]Why do some of you guys eat such low levels of carbs?! [/QUOTE]

There are theories out there that carbs cause insulin sensitivity which causes fat gain, so some people take it to the max and try to drop out all, or as many carbs as possible in order to get to a ketogenic state in which the body begins using fat as the primary source of energy. FWIW, I do not subscribe to this diet and as such I'm probably way oversimplifying it.

[QUOTE]But still, when i did calculate my macros( I don't any more) i was clocking around 280+ carbs a day. However, I do workout for 2+ hours a day, almost everyday(except sudnay) doing WODs and then olympic lifting.[/QUOTE]

This could be an entirely new discussion, especially given you've said in other threads that you are 6'4" 175#. I won't go there here though.

John L. Mclaughlin 09-18-2013 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=Jeff Enge;1195368]There are theories out there that carbs cause insulin sensitivity which causes fat gain, so some people take it to the max and try to drop out all, or as many carbs as possible in order to get to a ketogenic state in which the body begins using fat as the primary source of energy. FWIW, I do not subscribe to this diet and as such I'm probably way oversimplifying it.

This could be an entirely new discussion, especially given you've said in other threads that you are 6'4" 175#. I won't go there here though.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by the above? Maybe i should be calculating my macros to really keep gaining? I just got bored of it. I am a really healthy eater though. My moms and octo-pices( however you say egg and fish eater)/vegetarian, and i just don't like sugar or processed foods. Plus, i have celiacs diseas, and that cuts alot of crap from my diet.