CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Digital Coaching (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Please check my LB Squat and Deadlift :) (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83875)

Roel Quaas 08-23-2013 06:49 AM

Please check my LB Squat and Deadlift :)

Here is my Squat @ 155.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHDWO...ature=youtu.be

Here is my Deadlift @ 225

I only did 1 rep because I already finished my 1x5 according to SS. I already checked it and notice bad form during my 5 rep set, so I decided to do one with a hopefully better form...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU-Vq...ature=youtu.be

Thanks! Sorry for the really crappy sound.

Blaise Davis 08-23-2013 09:30 AM

Re: Please check my LB Squat and Deadlift :)

Squat - I would tell you to not do low bar back squat it just seems to just put you in a horrible position but then again that may start another riot conversation, try to fight that weight and keep your chest up as much as possible, couldn't see your knees but driving out the knees helps keep chest up as well, maybe mobility work if you want to continue low back squat

Deadlift - looks good from what I can tell....great starting form but with your first move your but hikes up In the air.....you need to sink into to it and keep that but down when you drive if that makes sense

Bill M. Hesse 08-23-2013 09:31 AM

Looks pretty good. On your squats you wobble forward a bit. You may just be getting used to the weight, but try and keep back on you heels a little more. Low bar makes it near impossible to keep your chest up like high bar. Keep your groin and hamstrings stretched and remember to keep rockin' in the free world.

Roel Quaas 08-23-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaise Davis (Post 1189095)
Squat - I would tell you to not do low bar back squat it just seems to just put you in a horrible position but then again that may start another riot conversation, try to fight that weight and keep your chest up as much as possible, couldn't see your knees but driving out the knees helps keep chest up as well, maybe mobility work if you want to continue low back squat

Deadlift - looks good from what I can tell....great starting form but with your first move your but hikes up In the air.....you need to sink into to it and keep that but down when you drive if that makes sense

Thanks Blaise!

On the squat my knees are in V angle, so they shoot out when I drop down.
I started Low Bar since High Bar was killing the area just above my knee caps :(.

Alright! Thanks for the butt tip, I feel it too that it's rising. I have the same problem when doing Power Cleans, it always comes up first. I guess I'll have to have the quads do all the talking at first. I'll try that sinking.

Roel Quaas 08-23-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1189097)
Looks pretty good. On your squats you wobble forward a bit. You may just be getting used to the weight, but try and keep back on you heels a little more. Low bar makes it near impossible to keep your chest up like high bar. Keep your groin and hamstrings stretched and remember to keep rockin' in the free world.

Thanks Bill, yes I do wobble a bit. 155 lbs feels a bit crushing, but not as much as 175 lbs where I can hardly come out of the hole on my last reps. :D. I'll continue stretching more.

I'm still 135 lbs at only 5'3. I need to gain some more weight.

Jeff Enge 08-23-2013 07:16 PM

That really didnt look all that heavy for you, I think you are selling yourself a little short!

The one thing I would add is working on getting everything set before starting to move down. You end up at the bottom with a solid enough lumbar but you are starting out a little soft. That could become an issue when the weight gets higher.

Also, dont use your body weight as an excuse for anything, just work on getting stronger than you were yesterday no matter how much you weigh.

Roel Quaas 08-23-2013 07:18 PM

Also I've noticed my positioning is a bit different on the Deadlift.

I followed a video saying that I should be a couple inches away from the bar before I bend down and set up, but when I pull I noticed a slanted motion and bringing it down, it curved around my knees.

When I initially get really close to the bar and set up, it allows for a straight bar path...

Is the starting position different for everyone? Does it have to do with height and limb lengths?

Jeff Enge 08-23-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roel Quaas (Post 1189252)
Also I've noticed my positioning is a bit different on the Deadlift.

I followed a video saying that I should be a couple inches away from the bar before I bend down and set up, but when I pull I noticed a slanted motion and bringing it down, it curved around my knees.

When I initially get really close to the bar and set up, it allows for a straight bar path...

Is the starting position different for everyone? Does it have to do with height and limb lengths?

You are setting up your deadlift a little too much like a clean. You should be setting up with your hips a little higher - make sure your hamstrings are loaded before you start lifting, they should be the drivers until the bar get past your knees.

And yes, the bar should be very close to your shins, and your shins should be almost vertical.

Roel Quaas 08-23-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1189250)
That really didnt look all that heavy for you, I think you are selling yourself a little short!

The one thing I would add is working on getting everything set before starting to move down. You end up at the bottom with a solid enough lumbar but you are starting out a little soft. That could become an issue when the weight gets higher.

Also, dont use your body weight as an excuse for anything, just work on getting stronger than you were yesterday no matter how much you weigh.

Thanks again Jeff. On the soft start is that the Deadlift or the Squat?

Lol alright my bad, I've been stalling on OHP @ 80 and Bench @ 110 so I kinda been negative these past weeks xD.

Jeff Enge 08-23-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roel Quaas (Post 1189255)
Thanks again Jeff. On the soft start is that the Deadlift or the Squat?

Lol alright my bad, I've been stalling on OHP @ 80 and Bench @ 110 so I kinda been negative these past weeks xD.

Squat, sorry.