CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Female looking for serious help! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35659)

Sarena Kopciel 08-12-2008 06:49 PM

Re: New Female looking for serious help!

Youre not gonna get the look you want with that "diet" . Forget the word diet and eat healthfully and mindfully. Fat is your friend, low fat/high carb is the devil!! Read more about nutrition--that will be the key to your longevity and reduced bodyfat!

Peter Queen 08-13-2008 06:48 AM

Hello Meagan and welcome. Speaking of fat, just make sure you understand the difference between good and bad fat.

Bad fats are your saturated fats which is found in un-lean meat, poultry with the skin on it, whole milk, butter and cheese to name a few.

Good fats:
Monounsaturated fats: which is found in olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, almonds and nut butter for example.

Other good fats:
Poly-unsaturated fats: which consists of omega-3 and 6 fatty acids. Omega-3 is found in fish- salmon, sardines, mackerel, herring. Omega-6 is found in corn, soybean, cottonseed, sunflower to name a few.

Trust me, when I first got into Crossfit, I felt like a government researcher trying to figure all this stuff out as it related to the Zone eating plan. My head was spinning but after I got into the habit of knowing the basic food groups I needed to stick with the rest was easy. There is more info about all of this but I will not bore you. Basically, I do not count calories, not time for that, but I try to eat in a more balanced fashion. I especially made sure that I knew the difference between low density and high density foods such as fruits and vegetables vs. heavy meats, breads and animal fat butter. That was very helpful key in understanding how the body processes food and which foods continue to give you better energy throughout the day and a better fat burning process even when you are not working out. Basically don’t sweat the small stuff, just keep in mind the basics and eat more controlled and you will drop off the unwanted pounds and get lean and conditioned in no time. I still eat foods that may not be considered nutritional but my desire for them has actually decreased over the past several years once I got into a better eating habit. And that certainly did not happen over night. It really was a slow life changing process but with Crossfit, the change was easier to handle.

Good luck, ask plenty of questions, read..read...read and again welcome.
But most of all have fun and enjoy the new experiences and people here.

You are in good company. :highfive:

Peter Queen 08-13-2008 07:31 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that Hydrogenated fat (TFA: Trans Fatty Acids) which is also a bad fat is found in margarines and shortenings. This type of fat helps to promote a high cholesteral count in your blood.

Bryan Gates 08-13-2008 09:02 AM

"Bad fats are your saturated fats which is found in un-lean meat, poultry with the skin on it, whole milk, butter and cheese to name a few."

Actually those are good fats too. Moderate amounts of Beef fat or tallow, lard, dairy fats, egg yolk, saturated plant fats (coconut, palm, etc) do not raise cholesterol.

These fats got a bad name because it was beleived that high cholesterol was the problem and since these contained cholesterol they were bad. They are wrong. Cholesterol is made in the body and dietary intake of cholesterol will blunt this genesis accordingly. As long as you do not exceed the cholesterol production of the body then there is no difference. Cholesterol release is the bodies response to various issues. It has 3 main uses in the body: 1) It is used as a building block for hormone production, including sex hormones 2) It is involved in the production of bile, which promotes digestion of fats 3) It is the main component of cell membranes and structures. Part of #3 is that is helps heal injuries.

It would be foolish and detrimental to eliminate or strictly limit saturated fats from healthy sources. Diets low in fat or more specifically saturated fat will negatively effect hormones. Conversely, anyone whose diet is primarily or excessively saturated fat is going to have problems as well.

Also, concerning "healthy fats" one of the issues with the modern american diet is an extremely high ratio of w-6 to w-3 fatty acids. I beleive the figure is around 15:1 where it should be more like 3:1 or even 1:1.

This lopsided ratio is probably more at cause than saturated fat intake for many chronic illnesses such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, and autoimmune disorders.

Peter Queen 08-13-2008 10:22 AM

No argument from me Bryan. And as you said, moderate amounts of beef fat are not bad. I may have over generalized a bit but my thoughts are based on sound information and personal trial and error. I definitely do not profess to be a dietician but I just employ what eating habits I have found that work well for me. Depending on what your goals are, some would even say that high amounts of fats and calories are good also. I will not argue that point either. Bottom line, everyone needs to find what works best for them based on their goals and try not to fall off the wagon too often. ;)

Thanks for chiming in Bryan, I definately enjoy good and helpful insight. That's what makes this site so informative. :highfive:

Brian Goff 08-13-2008 11:36 AM

Lots of posts on here are talking about nutrition which is ridiculously important, but your diet isn't terrible. One step at a time in my book. Start hitting the workouts then when you start seeing great results, you'll be drinking the Crossfit Kool-aid and want to do better with nutrition (a constant struggle on my end).

So specfically to the workouts. You will look at some workouts and think, "that's it?" Yes. It is. Others you'll see and say, "IMPOSSIBLE," but I promise they are not. Read comments and post to the forum questions about breaking things up. For example, 100 pullups is a ton, but manageable when broken into 20 sets of 5 with minimal rest. Crossfit is all about pushing incredibly hard. You will never 'kill' a workout; rather, you'll be (hopefully) on the floor after gasping for air.

BrandX is a great resource to get started with. Do some research for tomorrow on which WOD (workout of the day) you think you are going to attempt. Any new exercises you can find a video in the exercises section of the main site so that will help you understand thrusters, burpees, cleans, etc. depending on your familiarity.

Overall you sound motivated which is so key. Just go hard at the WODs and listen to your body early on because you'll definitely be hurting after some of the workouts. GOOD LUCK!

Chantal Brien 08-13-2008 03:30 PM

:welcome: Meagan!

Where do you train in K-town? I'm in Québec now but will be posted to Kingston shortly. I only started Crossfit a couple months ago but am loving it so far!

Chris Bigler 08-14-2008 06:07 PM

Meagan/Chantal, and any other Kingston crossfitt types

I've been following the crossfit regime for a few years now, and although I'm not a firebreather like Greg A, Eva T or some of the other big names, I've had amazing results and can't get enough of it. The facilities (by that I mean the base gym) here in Kingston are good, but not nearly as good as in CFB Gagetown.(I can't believe there are only two C2 rowers here) That being said, the more crossfitters that work together here in K-town the better. I've started training a friend of mine who is interested in the Crossfit way of life. If you're ever looking for anyone to workout with or bounce ideas off, give us a shout.

We're more likely to make some positive changes here in Kingston, to the benefit of all the closet crossfitters if we have a united front...i.e 10 people complaining that there aren't any good chin-up stations in the gym would be far more effective than if I shoot my mouth off in a bizarre pull-up tirade on my own.

Like a number of people have mentioned diet is key...I'm still fighting the good fight where that is concerned....I fall off the wagon every now and then, but when I'm diligent with respect to diet and my WODs, I can drop weight like nobodies business.

If you're here in Kingston, you're close enough for the cert in Toronto 11-12 Oct....this would answer a huge percentage of your questions

just my 2 cents

Sarena Kopciel 08-17-2008 08:35 AM

more info about fats [URL="http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/"]here[/URL] and [URL="http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat/"]here[/URL]

wfs links

Jay Cohen 08-17-2008 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=Bryan Gates;374465]"Bad fats are your saturated fats which is found in un-lean meat, poultry with the skin on it, whole milk, butter and cheese to name a few."

Actually those are good fats too. Moderate amounts of Beef fat or tallow, lard, dairy fats, egg yolk, saturated plant fats (coconut, palm, etc) do not raise cholesterol.

[/QUOTE]

Byran, good post and Peter, nice response.

I have at least five very well written and documented books and at least that many Web Sites that discuss at length the importance of Saturated Fats, and the mis information that is STILL circulating in the "real" world.

My main cooking oils are;

Duck Fat
Beef Lard
Coconut Oil
Butter
Olive Oil

in that order.

Some of the reference material is posted on my blog.

Chow On, and Do More Squats/Deads