CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Why do people hate Crossfit? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=77977)

Tommy Santos 09-28-2012 03:53 PM

Why do people hate Crossfit?
 
I frequent a forum, sherdog.net, and they bash crossfit completely. They hate everything about it. From thinking that Paleo = crossfit, vibrams and exercise standards. I figured that fighters, or so-called combatants, would prefer the principles of it. High intensity, constantly varied, functional movement seems like something that they would appreciate.

I can't think of anything about crossfit that doesn't make sense or wouldn't apply to being an all around athletic and competitive person.

If this is NOT right place for this thread, then I apologize in advance.

Jason Peacock 09-28-2012 04:09 PM

Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?
 
Haters gonna hate. Don't waste your time on them :)

Just like we bash on bodybuilders for being non-functional...

Eric Shuty 09-28-2012 04:16 PM

Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Santos (Post 1097481)
I frequent a forum, sherdog.net, and they bash crossfit completely. They hate everything about it. From thinking that Paleo = crossfit, vibrams and exercise standards. I figured that fighters, or so-called combatants, would prefer the principles of it. High intensity, constantly varied, functional movement seems like something that they would appreciate.

I can't think of anything about crossfit that doesn't make sense or wouldn't apply to being an all around athletic and competitive person.

If this is NOT right place for this thread, then I apologize in advance.

My guess is the "in your face" attitude of some crossfitters out there. Do you know anyone who enjoys being told that everything they do for training is inferior? I've been told that by people vastly weaker and less athletic than myself.....it was at a crossfit level 1 cert. Experiences like that might have something to do with it.

Brian Strump 09-28-2012 04:30 PM

Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Peacock (Post 1097488)
Haters gonna hate. Don't waste your time on them :)

Just like we bash on bodybuilders for being non-functional...

This is 100% correct.

I'm also on the side that if you have no enemies, you're not doing it right.

Pete Nadeau 09-28-2012 05:13 PM

Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?
 
They don't hate Crossfit, they hate the holier-than-thou attitudes of some Crossfitters.
I went to a Crossfit "Box" once, the trainer started the hard sell while we were warming up. SEE YA

John C Corona 09-28-2012 05:45 PM

Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?
 
1) yes, haters will hate
2) yes, arrogant crossfitters suck just as much as arrogant fighters who dont realize the benefits and/or similarities of cf training
3) its kinda easy to hate on crossfitting if you do play real sports, like Kenny Powers said "I'm not trying to be good at exercising".
4) bad form crossfitters ruin it for the whole.
5) Theres a girl on facebook who was front squatting with a baby strapped to her front, and she was being praised for "being a crossfit mommy"...baby should be yanked by child services. This guy in the link ruins it for the whole too (he made it to tosh.o - lol). It was actually posted on the mainsite, affiliate blog I think...wfs: http://tosh.comedycentral.com/blog/2...=synd_facebook

I also have to plug drywalls mashup, you'll see that its kinda easy to pick on cf'ers (wfs): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRLVvIVvyrY

One bad apple will spoil the bunch...IMO.

Todd Morgan 09-28-2012 06:20 PM

Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?
 
The goof struggling with that deadlift for 25 seconds is CrossFit's Director of Programming Dave Castro:rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C Corona (Post 1097510)

I also have to plug drywalls mashup, you'll see that its kinda easy to pick on cf'ers (wfs): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRLVvIVvyrY

One bad apple will spoil the bunch...IMO.


Michelle Stafford 09-28-2012 06:23 PM

Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?
 
People tend to hate on things they fear or don't understand. Crossfit is hard and takes true strength from the inside and out, inner strength, that many are not willing to tap into or explore. Whether it's fear of failure, fear of change or just utter weakness, people will scoff at things they only wish they could do.

Their loss, but don't let them dictate your actions or define your thoughts, be your only person and rise above the influence.

Kenneth Cheung 09-28-2012 07:02 PM

Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?
 
1. crossfit is an expensive marketing version of HIIT
2. total lack of programming, structure
3. encouraged bad form, risk taking, injury

and countless other things... I've tuned out to it. I like crossfit, it works for me, and keeps me coming back, everything else is just a distraction.

Michael A. Jones 09-28-2012 07:40 PM

Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Nadeau (Post 1097504)
They don't hate Crossfit, they hate the holier-than-thou attitudes of some Crossfitters.
I went to a Crossfit "Box" once, the trainer started the hard sell while we were warming up. SEE YA

I tend to agree with you on this one.....I don't bash anyone's training selection. "We" do sometimes have that holier than thou attitude when it comes to training practices.
I WOD at home because the boxes in my area have that type of mentality. If the patrons spread those views with their friends, and to friends of friends....Well, you get the jist. In addition, sometimes the sport.it's participants do ackward things that bring a bad light on the sport. We've all seen the craziness of some Crossfitters. We shouldn't bash other athletes because of our beliefs and practices. "To each his own...."

Michael


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.