CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Weight Belts? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48084)

Steve Bitsko 06-25-2009 09:24 AM

Weight Belts?

I am new to the CF world. I enjoy and look forward to every WOD. In all the exercise demos I do not see the athletes wearing a weight belt while performing lifts, squats, and other lower back intense exercises. My question is, should we wear weight belts while performing these exercises? If not, why?

Steven Ngo 06-25-2009 09:32 AM

Re: Weight Belts?

i personally don't because if my whole body can't handle the weight, then that given weight is too heavy and I scale down instead of adding outside support (straps, gloves, lifting belts, etc.).

Heck, i'd go barefoot ancient greek fig leaf nekkid if the gym allowed it.

Jamie J. Skibicki 06-25-2009 09:46 AM

If you need to, use it, if not, don't. I use a weight belt on heavy squats, especially if I sprinted the day before.

Tony Arms 06-25-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Ngo (Post 613885)
i personally don't because if my whole body can't handle the weight, then that given weight is too heavy and I scale down instead of adding outside support (straps, gloves, lifting belts, etc.).

That's an interesting way to look at this debate that i've never thought of...Damn it, now i've got to rethink things.

Steve Bitsko 06-25-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

So really it is just a personal choice?

Tony Arms 06-25-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bitsko (Post 613925)
So really it is just a personal choice?

I think so. Haven't been doing it as long as most here. I use a belt on heavy squat days because I have a really bad lower back issue. I'm afraid if i don't use a belt to get heavier weights that my legs will never come along. I've heard the arguement that if you use one you take your stabilizers out of the equation and are really just hurting yourself.

Danny Coelho 06-25-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Heck, i'd go barefoot ancient greek fig leaf nekkid if the gym allowed it.

I agree with Steven here if you need it to assist you in an X amount of weight, for a lift then you probably shouldn't be using that weight. Your giving you body a false sense of strength. Are you going to have a belt on when you have to Dead lift a sack of concrete at a hardware store??? Start off at a decent weight and you will be strong in all areas in no time.

Thomas Baker 06-25-2009 11:57 AM

I agree with the above. In theory, we are CF'ing for the unknown...so in an emergency where you have to lift a 400 pound object or are being crushed under something you won't have a belt.

Of course that's just a thought and you could def protect yourself. Personally I think it's a matter of personal choice although I rarely see it outside of GloboGym.

Joshua Refenes 06-25-2009 12:25 PM

I'm with Steven on this one. Squats have always been my favorite lift, and I've never felt the need for a weight belt.

My line of thinking has been, as I squat, I'm not only strengthening my legs, but I'm also strengthening my back, abs, core, etc.

Using a weight belt forces those core muscles to work less, and they won't get stronger in parallel with my legs. Besides, if I can work extra groups of muscles that are important along with other lifts, why wouldn't I do it? Multi-tasking is a great thing :)

Jamie J. Skibicki 06-25-2009 02:28 PM

^^^^

Is not a true statement. The weight belt give your midsection something to push against if used correctly. It does not replace the work done by the abs and lower back.