CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   From no confidence to CrossFitence (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35047)

Zach Mitchell 07-28-2008 08:04 PM

From no confidence to CrossFitence

Hello fellow CrossFitters. I have been struggling with my CF and Paleo compliance for the majority of the past 3 months. I fear I am on the slippery portion of the slope. I began to change my diet in December '07 and I started CrossFitting in February '08. I don't always eat perfect and I don't always have a steady CF schedule. Combined, those two are the recipe for disaster. When I started Paleo I was 3 biscuits and some gravy (302.4lbs), by the time I began CrossFit WODs (scaled) I was in the ballpark of 280 (give or take 5). As of today I am just under 2 and a half biscuits (245.6lbs).

I have had little to no confidence with myself for most of my life. Always struggling with my weight and not feeling good about myself. The motivation to change came in the form of me being lonely. I blamed my loneliness on the fact that I felt unattractive to the opposite sex. Losing weight the CrossFit way and getting sexy was the only option (Greg Amundson...inspiration...man crush).

I can't seem to get away from the social portion of eating and drinking. Every weekend there is some event where I have to choose. And...like I said previously, I have been making poor choices. I aim to change my decision-making process soon! I think I have to become a hermit. I am toying with the idea of getting rid of my cell phone. Ofcourse now, amidst my trying-to-get-back-on-the-CrossFit-bandwagon, I meet a girl who does not share the same fitness ideals as I do. AllisonNYC says she'll never date anyone outside of the CrossFit community. I think that is a damn good idea. Feelings have already started brewing between myself and my new friend. I fear that I won't beable to convert her. I don't know what to do about that. Any single CFing girls out there in the Lake County, IL area...? (I'm not that smarmy in real life...)

Recently, a close friend of mine posted her progress on the board. She has been getting such a tremendous response and it has really ignited a fire within her CrossFitting soul. In the past month she has been on a mission and shows no sign of slowing down. She gets email from men and women all over the country who have used her progress as inspiration and motivation to make change in their own lives.

With such a great response to her post she has been urging me to post my progress. So here it is, however, I just want to say that I am extremely proud of my progress. If it wasn't for the community and the people at CrossFit Fire I would not have had this success. I know that I still have very far to go but hopefully getting this out there and reading the comments it renders will light my fire. Well...here it goes...I have posted a collage of my progess at this site:

THIS IS THE LINK TO MY PICS W/F/S

Not only has my body composition changed but I have made the so much progress with my squats. When I started I could not get below parallel without holding on to something. Even then I would round out my back. Now I have the form and I am working on speed and strength. I couldn't do a pull-up now I can do 5 @ 245lbs. I couldn't do a handstand and now I can hold one for over 10 seconds. I am sure there is more but I don't like to toot my own horn...

Please comment. I need to be ***** slapped out of this funk that has been lasting weigh (see what I did there?) too long. I need that epiphany. That sudden switch that turns on. One thing is for sure though, I can't do it alone. I either need to meet a CFing girl or convert the one I am currently seeing before it gets serious and I go back to the DARK SIDE!!! (is this a copout?)

Oh yeah...and it happened to me too! CrossFit made me more tan just like my friend...I was actually on a boat this weekend...getting ready for the photo shoot...hah!

Jennie Yundt 07-28-2008 08:32 PM

Re: From no confidence to CrossFitence

AMAZING! Zach, you have come so far on your journey. There will be times when all of us will struggle, but you gotta get back in there and keep fighting. Remember your goals, and keep one eye on the prize at all times. The rate of your progress will be driven by your desire to reach your goals. Want it bad enough and you'll get there REAL fast!

I am so proud of how far you've come, and how much tanner you've become! You have really made amazing strides on your journey to becoming Greg Amundson 2.0. Really....you're looking GREAT! Look how far you've come in only a few months. Imagine where you'll be in February 2009!

<<HUG>>Congratulations Zach. Thanks for sharing your story with CrossFit.

Nick Hanson 07-28-2008 09:44 PM

Zach, we all struggle with it daily. I have lost 30 lbs since starting crossfit in November. I guess I am lucky because I am dating a girl who doesn't do crossfit, but loves the fact that I do it. She is also crazy enough to try the zone/paleo diet.

Here are my only thoughts, if this person you are with can't love the fact that you are trying to do something that is going to help you live the life you want to live, than you have to ask yourself if she is worth the time.

You have done an amazing job to lose that much weight. I know that the temptation with food and drink is tough sometimes (well maybe a lot of the time). But just by judging your progress so far you are doing amazing. If you jump off the wagon for a meal or two. Don't sweat it. Don't feel guilty, just know that the next meal you are going to start eating right again. Congrats on everything, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the changes you have made in your life.

Alix Clark 07-28-2008 10:27 PM

way to go Zach! I'm with Nick - if the person you're with doesn't support something like this that is really important to you um... i think that's a bit of a problem. I'm lucky enough to go out with someone I met through CF so never a problem when either of us want to go to the gym or do a workout. We're not perfect (or even close to it) on food, but hopefully together we'll get there - it's nice to have a buddy to do that stuff with. Good luck with the rest of your journey!

Jason David 07-29-2008 05:23 AM

Zach,
Good job! I was in the same boat as you. Recently I told myself that I am only going to go boozin' 1 day per week. No matter what...Just pick 1 day. If something comes up and it's completely necessary for you to be there that's fine. Just don't drink for a full week.

Drinking, as part of a cheat day can turn into a cheat weekend if you're not careful. This is what kept happening to me...

If i went out on Friday night, I would eat bad and NOT make my 10:30 Saturday CF class. This just ****ed me off. So I just stopped. If i have to go out on a Friday night I make sure I hit it pretty hard Mon thru Fri.

At first it feels like you're betraying your friends. Now it's gotten to a point where I'm proud to tell them that I'm not going out tonight because I have CrossFit in the morning. I feel like I'm setting an example!!

I started at about 250...I'm under 200 now. Still a long way to go but the journey is fun!

Brandon Oto 07-29-2008 05:57 AM

Is it bad that you look happier in the first one?

Jennie Yundt 07-29-2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Oto (Post 361315)
Is it bad that you look happier in the first one?

I believe that facial expression is "Jolly". He went from "Jolly" to "bad a**".
:)

Zach Mitchell 07-29-2008 06:32 AM

They are all looks of "not knowing any better".

Thanks for the responses.

Zach Mitchell 07-29-2008 07:33 AM

I am looking for continual improvement. It isn't going to be black and white for me. I wish it was. I think I am happiest when I am in the gray. Which, for me, is eating and CrossFitting enough to keep making progress. My progress isn't as fast as I originally wanted but I guess that is a testament to the fact that I ease into change better as opposed to cold turkey.

Just some more thoughts...

Jason Scheffler 07-29-2008 10:15 AM

Hey Zach, first off congratulations on changes the you've made. And who doesn't want to be Greg. Come on the mans a freaking monster. :notworth:

Don't worry too much about the social events, I too have those and go to them and fully enjoy myself. Now the trick is to do it in moderation both eating and drinking. But the people I hang out with know me well enough to know that when I say no thanks I don't want another pint I mean it. :)

As for your significant other, don't try to convert them, if it happens it happens if not it doesn't. Often trying to convert them will do the opposite or worse push them totally away.

Your girl may not want to exercise and diet or understand why you're doing this but I suspect she does like the result on you. I know mine isn't too crazy about the time I spend at the gym and planing meals etc. but she does like the end result so is more then willing to put up with it.

"One thing is for sure though, I can't do it alone. I either need to meet a CFing girl or convert the one I am currently seeing before it gets serious and I go back to the DARK SIDE!!! (is this a copout?)"

Sorry but yes that is a copout, if you're doing this for someone else you'll likely never have the motivation to stick with it. This journey is for ourselves (for the most part) but it's certainly not one you have to take alone. Just check out the forum for example.

Hopefully that made sense, it's tough slacking off on the forum when you're at work and they expect you to actually be working.