CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Stuff and Nonsense (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Seen at the globo yesterday (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=31110)

Mark E. Wallace 04-29-2008 11:25 AM

Seen at the globo yesterday

I'm not usually one for "I saw this idiot at the gym yesterday..." stories, but what I saw yesterday is just too good not to tell.

This lady was doing bent-knee situps (better than nothing) with an iPOD velcroed to her thigh. No big deal I guess, except the iPOD wasn't playing music. It was showing a video of Dancing With The Stars! She was so engrossed in the video that she would come up for a situp, sit in that upright position for about 30 seconds, then come back down about halfway before coming back up again, never taking her eyes off of the screen. She did this for about five minutes, then got up, toweled off, and moved to the treadmill. She then removed the iPOD, repositioned it on the treadmill, and spent the next ten minutes or so walking at a snail's pace while dividing her attention between the iPOD and the big bank of televisions above the treadmill area.

This was just one of the funniest things I've ever seen at the gym.

- Mark

Elliot Fuller 04-29-2008 02:00 PM

Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Watching it at the gym is still better than watching it on the couch :)

What am I saying... there is no good place for Dancing With the Stars. Period.

Frederic Giraud 04-29-2008 02:10 PM

How did you see all this happening?

Someone wasn't giving the attention it deserved to the WOD!?

:p

Mark E. Wallace 04-29-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederic Giraud (Post 301618)
How did you see all this happening?

Someone wasn't giving the attention it deserved to the WOD!?

:p

1. It was nearly impossible to miss
  2. I was done with the WOD by then.
  3. I was cooling down on one of those treadmills, which overlook the area in which she was doing the (we'll just graciously call them) situps.

Nice try though. :) ;)

- Mark

John Seiler 04-29-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller (Post 301613)
What am I saying... there is no good place for Dancing With the Stars. Period.

Agreed. All those smoking hot dancers in tiny outfits gyrating around. Icky. :evilsmile

Mark E. Wallace 04-29-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Seiler (Post 301725)
Agreed. All those smoking hot dancers in tiny outfits gyrating around. Icky. :evilsmile

It's horrible. A travesty, I tell you. Shameful. :evilsmile:evilsmile:evilsmile:

(both wfs, more or less)

Slobber slobber
Drool drool

I'm not a fan of the show, but this lifelong fan of Kristi's on-ice wiggle send his deepest thanks to the show's producers :thanx:

Brian Yoak 04-29-2008 05:44 PM

I run a sport performance center that leases space from a YMCA. We have KB ranging in weight from 8lbs to 75lbs.
There are a few people that use the KB outside of myself and my colleague, but not many.

As I walked out of my office to the gym floor, I noticed a man grab a 16lb KB. I kept walking and thought to myself. Finally, someone other than me using is going to use them...this guy looked like he knew how to use it.

Upon returning the same way about 1 min later, I find this same man sitting on a Therapy Ball doing bicep curls with the KB.

My response was something like this.....:yikes:

Matt DeMinico 04-30-2008 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Seiler (Post 301725)

You mean like...

http://www.ohnozone.net/060520b.jpg

Cal Jones 04-30-2008 08:32 AM

I've seen people reading books whilst doing twisting crunches...you know the ones where you bring one elbow towards the opposite knee...not that we do those, ever.
My favourite, though, was seeing two girls deep in conversation whilst tugging half heartedly on the C2 rowers. Now if I'm rowing, I'm trying not to black out or vomit...conversation is a million billion light years away!

Spencer Provow 04-30-2008 09:10 AM

Thanks Matt I found a new show to watch ha

Elliot Fuller 04-30-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyone
[...] Insert picture of hot girl

Ok, ok... I stand corrected. :)

Ryan Jones 05-01-2008 05:30 PM

I was watching a guy deadlift on the smith machine yesterday.... Back rounded the entire time and he wasnt even standing up straight, he was falling backwards away from the bar the whole time. It was pretty amusing.

Jacob Cloud 05-02-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace (Post 301524)
Seen at the globo yesterday

Is it bad that every time I see one of these threads I'm worried someone will be critiquing my pitiful performance (yesterday's 13 minute Fran, for example)? DOh!

Oddly enough, I just left Cedar Park last week and relocated to Seattle, so I know that it couldn't have been me. Whew! (Wish I had known there was some Cedar Park crossfitters while I was there, though!)

Mark E. Wallace 05-02-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud (Post 303607)
Is it bad that every time I see one of these threads I'm worried someone will be critiquing my pitiful performance (yesterday's 13 minute Fran, for example)? DOh!

Trust me; I'm in no position to critique anybody's Crossfit performance.

Quote:

Oddly enough, I just left Cedar Park last week and relocated to Seattle, so I know that it couldn't have been me. Whew! (Wish I had known there was some Cedar Park crossfitters while I was there, though!)
Well, I just got started a few weeks ago. I'm slow and weak right now, so my performances are either rx'd and pathetic or scaled (and thus super-pathetic). It's a bit of a stretch to call me a legit Crossfitter at this point. :o

- Mark

Stephen Smith 05-04-2008 02:23 PM

You're doing it, that makes you a legit crossfitter!

Jamie J. Skibicki 05-05-2008 08:13 AM

I have no problem with the weight someone lifts, unless what they're doing makes no sense at that weight.

Example: If you can do 15-20 dead hang chins and you think you need some heavy curls to work on an imbalance, go ahead.

If can crank out 4 shaky chins, don't even think about curls and get back up on the bar.

Alix Clark 05-05-2008 11:07 PM

I once saw a woman reading while on the leg press machine in peak hour. And not a magazine - a novel!!

Derek Maffett 05-06-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud (Post 303607)

Hey, it's 16 minutes here. There's a good reason I've decided to do SS.

Jamie J. Skibicki 05-06-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alix Clark (Post 305331)
I once saw a woman reading while on the leg press machine in peak hour. And not a magazine - a novel!!

It would have been funnier if it were Starting Strength. God, the irony.

Melissa Urban 09-24-2008 07:51 AM

Re: Seen at Globo-Gold's today

I am bumping this because today, I experienced not one but TWO events so bizarre that I couldn't get my head around them enough to get p*ssed off.

First. I was hoping to bench press today, but the two flat benches were occupied for quite some time. One by a guy actually benching. The other by a woman doing weighted pelvic thrusters. She was lying on the bench, with a 25# plate on her crotch. Pelvic. Thrusting. I'm pretty sure my jaw literally dropped. I was so entranced by her behavior that I simply gave up the idea of benching and started my squat warm-up.

Second. I then needed to FS, but the two squat racks were occupied. One by a guy actually squatting. The other by a guy who had placed a Reebok step between the rails of the squat rack, and was doing dumbbell lunges onto the riser. So I watch for a full set, intrigued by how he was going to incorporate the squat rack into his exercise. And then I realized he wasn't. At all. So I head over and say, "Are you using the squat rack?" And he says, "Yes". And I manage to say, "Um, how?" And he says, "I'm doing dumbbell lunges..." as if he suspects maybe I'm slightly retarded. And my brain is so overloaded with confusion that I simply walk away and wait for him to finish NOT using the squat rack.

I could not make this sh*t up. Of all days, I wish I had my camera.

Sean Dunston 09-24-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa Byers (Post 408077)
I am bumping this because today, I experienced not one but TWO events so bizarre that I couldn't get my head around them enough to get p*ssed off.

First. I was hoping to bench press today, but the two flat benches were occupied for quite some time. One by a guy actually benching. The other by a woman doing weighted pelvic thrusters. She was lying on the bench, with a 25# plate on her crotch. Pelvic. Thrusting. I'm pretty sure my jaw literally dropped. I was so entranced by her behavior that I simply gave up the idea of benching and started my squat warm-up.

Second. I then needed to FS, but the two squat racks were occupied. One by a guy actually squatting. The other by a guy who had placed a Reebok step between the rails of the squat rack, and was doing dumbbell lunges onto the riser. So I watch for a full set, intrigued by how he was going to incorporate the squat rack into his exercise. And then I realized he wasn't. At all. So I head over and say, "Are you using the squat rack?" And he says, "Yes". And I manage to say, "Um, how?" And he says, "I'm doing dumbbell lunges..." as if he suspects maybe I'm slightly retarded. And my brain is so overloaded with confusion that I simply walk away and wait for him to finish NOT using the squat rack.

I could not make this sh*t up. Of all days, I wish I had my camera.

Byers-
Lesson learned: always bring your camera.
:rofl:

Jeff Bowser 09-24-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Dunston (Post 408084)
Byers-
Lesson learned: always bring your camera.

LOL, too funny. Just be carefull with the camera, or you're likely to get a nasty cease and desist letter from Globo's lawyers like I did .....oh wait a minute, that's because I started posting the funny pics on my blog.

Sara Schroeder 09-24-2008 08:11 AM

Melissa that is HILARIOUS! Sounds like I'm missing out on some great comedy by not working out at a globo-gym. Although we do have some funny moments out at the barn....like when I got stuck in a back squat and tried to toss the weight, but didn't get far enough out of the way and ended up smacking myself in the back with the bar....oh wait that was a painful moment, not a funny one!

Samuel Friedman 09-24-2008 08:46 AM

isn't pelvic thrusting good practice for opening and closing your hips explosively? sounds like something we should incorporate in crossfit :D

Jeff Bowser 09-24-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuel Friedman (Post 408117)
isn't pelvic thrusting good practice for opening and closing your hips explosively? sounds like something we should incorporate in crossfit :D

Someone has been reading the "How to hit on a crossfitter thread"......

Jamie J. Skibicki 09-24-2008 08:54 AM

I've done that excersize for grappling, but I didn't use any extra equipment. It's like curling in the squat rack. You can pick it up off the floor, so don't waste the rack. Bunch of idiots.

WHat gets me is the lack of etiquette in the gym. People think they are the only ones who are working out. WHen I started working out, the older guys in the gym taught me (sometimes by talking, sometimes by insulting) what was the proper way to behave in the gym. Don't use something you don't need, put your stuff away, let people work in, offer a spot. I do it with the people I see at the gym, sometimes people accept it and sometimes they are asses about it. Bu thte gym management needs to do this and enforce this, it make everyones life easier.

GGrrrr, I've worked myself into a tizzy. I need to go lift some heavy things over my head.

Sara Schroeder 09-24-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuel Friedman (Post 408117)

All I need is a workout partner to help me practice :evilsmile

Sean Dunston 09-24-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara Yates (Post 408131)
All I need is a workout partner to help me practice :evilsmile

Okay-
now you guys have definitely confused the threads!

Patrick Haskell 09-24-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

And I thought the guys curling in the only squat rack in my Y were idiots. You should have hung around to see if he tried to use the rack to bail on a lunge-gone-horribly-wrong. Some people. :bash0000: I thought you had that globo whipped into shape.

Riley Durant 09-24-2008 10:53 AM

The problem with stupidity in the gym is that it's contagious. A person sees someone in better shape than they are doing something, regardless of how stupid it looks, and they think it must be right, so they do it too. Another person sees it and they do it as well. An endless circle of stupidity.

Somehow though, folks doing CF are labeled as the stupid ones and asked to "tone that crazy stuff down" or take it outside. That is what I can't wrap my brain around.

Melissa Urban 09-24-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley Durant (Post 408237)
The problem with stupidity in the gym is that it's contagious. A person sees someone in better shape than they are doing something, regardless of how stupid it looks, and they think it must be right, so they do it too. Another person sees it and they do it as well. An endless circle of stupidity.

I promise if I ever walk into Gold's and find 12 testosterone-laden muscleheads doing weighted pelvic thrusters, I will stream live video directly to this thread. Even if it does get me thrown out. Or beat up. Totally worth it.

Tim Crawford 09-24-2008 11:19 AM

I would like to add my two cents of witnessing nonsense at the gym on base.

There is a guy who insists on doing weighted dips and pull-ups, which is awesome. However, during the dips, he never gets anywhere near breaking the plane, but more or less just bends his elbows slightly. Then on the pull-ups he doesn't get his chest anywhere near the top of the bar. Then this guy moves over to the squat rack, and loads up about 225, but again only slightly bends his knees. Then at some sort of shrug machine where he bends his knees and tries to jump up with the weight. Then he moves to flat bench where he completes an actual rep. I think that's only because he hasn't figured out how to cheat on that yet.

Sean Dunston 09-24-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Crawford (Post 408267)
I would like to add my two cents of witnessing nonsense at the gym on base.

There is a guy who insists on doing weighted dips and pull-ups, which is awesome. However, during the dips, he never gets anywhere near breaking the plane, but more or less just bends his elbows slightly. Then on the pull-ups he doesn't get his chest anywhere near the top of the bar. Then this guy moves over to the squat rack, and loads up about 225, but again only slightly bends his knees. Then at some sort of shrug machine where he bends his knees and tries to jump up with the weight. Then he moves to flat bench where he completes an actual rep. I think that's only because he hasn't figured out how to cheat on that yet.

Probably not worth the effort... or the bs response...
but you could ask him if he had some sort of injury that limited his range of motion on all of those exercises...

:rolleyes:

David Gray 09-24-2008 12:48 PM

Goods and others. Forget the WOD (no name) run 800m, press 21 times, run 800m, push press 21 times, run another 800m, push jerk 21 times. For time. I left the bar loaded on the cage with a towel wrapped around it, ran, came back and found the bar unloaded and a guy doing push-ups in the cage. Thousands of square feet, and he chose the cage, the only cage we have. ******* couldn't understand why I smiled with that strange Deliverance grin at him.

But yesterday, a guy waited for me to finish squats. He'd had knee problems in the past so he was doing a sort of box squat, only 115 lbs, but we started talking about his depth (close but not quite below parallel). He got a little confidence and kept going below from there on out. I stayed to press, and he did deadlifts, but then asked me to show him the correct form. He nailed the start position, all good from there. I made a friend, and he's doing more and with better form, all from a little courtesy.

Now, skinny chicks (who pull more than I do) with painted squat shoes busting bars and staring at other women doing weighted hip thrusters, that really torques me off!

Melissa Urban 09-24-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Gray (Post 408316)
Now, skinny chicks (who pull more than I do) with painted squat shoes busting bars and staring at other women doing weighted hip thrusters, that really torques me off!

You did NOT just call me "skinny".

You don't ever want to call a CrossFit girl "skinny".

"Skinny" is a term reserved for (a) waif-like fashion models, (b) my Gram or (c) girls who use the elliptical for an hour a day and eat nothing but yogurt and carrots. It is not a nice word.

Chris Scott 09-24-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

The other by a woman doing weighted pelvic thrusters. She was lying on the bench, with a 25# plate on her crotch. Pelvic. Thrusting.

Although I admire her dedication, the 25# plate is just bad programming. Any good Crossfitter knows that exercise is to be done for max reps, unweighted, until your exercise partner tells you you're done. Then repeat. AMRAP.

Bart Hodlik 09-24-2008 02:03 PM

Ahhh the squat rack.. Never a day passes at the local globo/base gym where someone is thoroughly convinced they need an oly bar to do curls. As if the weights being further away from them, makes it harder, or them more hardcore.
And yet in doing this hardcore oly bar curl, they bypass the several extra bars in the stand, and the other half of the gym equipment dedicated to nothing but curls!!
My favorite so far, is watching someone on the smith machine doing behind the neck presses, in the sitting position. The boards infiinite posts about functionality instantly sprung to mind, and I was sooooooooo tempted to ask him how in the world he would ever find himself doing that in real life, or what "extra" muscle he was using, by doing that.
BUT, I composed myself, smiled..., and went back to do doing squats in the SQUAT RACK!!!

Christian Gotcher 09-25-2008 04:42 AM

This is an old story for me, but I thought I'd bring it up:

I was at the gym at the Rec Center in Naval Station Norfolk doing Helen on a treadmill. There were guys doing pullup/cable crossover sets and, occasionally, they worked in ahead of me and I had to let them through and stop my workout. During one of these pauses in the front leaning rest (I had to do something) I noticed a guy doing something I can barely describe now without laughing.

He stepped into the Smith Machine with his buddy (who was also encouraging/helping him this whole time). He had taken two black yoga blocks (the soft foamy ones) and placed them underneath a purple Reebok step ('instability' would be my guess). He loads the bars up with +135#, lets it off the rails, gets on the edge of the step... and starts doing calf raises. I thought this was ridiculous enough, but as you can enough, the weight was unbalanced on the step because he was at its edge, and the black yoga blocks shot out like rockets. The noise was incredible, he lost control of the bar, and although the Smith machine stopped itself before going down too far, it had come down on the back of his head and shoved him forward so he was folded in two and falling backwards.

That was stupid, but here's the ignorant part. One of the gym employees came out to yell at the guy and said, with no understanding of the implicit irony in this sentence, "You Crossfitters, that's the third time you've done that." ... as I continue to do Helen, my "Crossfit" apparently doing no one any harm. Odd.

Matt DeMinico 09-25-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Dunston (Post 408272)
Probably not worth the effort... or the bs response...
but you could ask him if he had some sort of injury that limited his range of motion on all of those exercises...

:rolleyes:

That's funny, I'm going to try that one next time I'm walking by the weight room at work. I saw this dude two days ago doing squats with like 255 on there, but heck if they were even quarter squats. And they were all on his toes, and his chin was dang near pointing at the ceiling.

I offered advice on the chin in the squat, but should've asked him "what injury did you get that you can only squat down 1/4 of the way?"

Giles Clarke 09-25-2008 08:30 AM

I always love seeing the guy with the gut hanging well over his belt doing bicep curls with the cable machine; lifting the whole weight stack but only moving it an inch and grunting the entire time. I especially love seeing it when I am waiting to use the pull up bar attached to the cable machine.
I've been tempted, on numerous occassions, to walk up to these individuals and say, "I think it is awesome that you can lift that much weight. You want to know what I can do that's awesome...see my toes"