CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stalled on press, even going backwards (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=52101)

Ben Sparks 10-14-2009 10:43 AM

Stalled on press, even going backwards

So I added some of the elements of the CFWF program to address certain weaknesses. Basically, just the squat 2x week and OH press once.

The squat is going very well - still making linear progress, adding 5lb/workout to the last 3 sets of 5.

The press, though, is stalled. Even going backwards. 2 weeks ago, last 3 sets (I was shooting for 145 across) were 145 (5), 145 (4), 140 (4). Last week, 145 (4), 140 (5), 140 (4). This week, 145 (4), 145 (4), 140 (4).

I suspect its overuse in disguise - there have been heavy thrusters, Fran, ring dips, shoulder press-push press-thruster etc. in between. So essentially, when the program calls for one pressing day per week, I'm getting 2 or sometimes more. I also don't have micro plates and don't have the option of adding 2.5lbs.

Any tips here? Anyone else get past a stalling point with something obvious? Go down to sets of 3? (I was considering this, as I can always put up the first 3 or 4 reps fine, just completely stall halfway up on rep #5. Max press from last CFT 5 weeks ago was 165.)

I know my diet & rest are pretty good, due to the gains in back squats. Yesterday I even put the presses before the squats (had been done after the other times) just in case the squats were sapping my strength. But the presses still didn't go up and the squats did just fine.

Thanks

Jacob Cloud 10-14-2009 10:54 AM

Re: Stalled on press, even going backwards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Sparks (Post 679872)

Any tips here? Anyone else get past a stalling point with something obvious?

Yep, time to get some 1.25lb plates. Made a HUGE difference for me, and helped me blow right past my previous sticking points. Also, follow the program better, and make sure you're eating enough to recover.

Kevin Thomas 10-14-2009 11:36 AM

Are you training at an affiliate or with your own equipment.

If you are at an affiliate or a gym that will let you write on the plates, one alternative to getting fractional plates might be to weigh each plate and write on each the true weight. There is probably enough variation in the plates that you would have more flexibility in the actual weight you were putting on the bar each time to make smaller jumps. It would also help you be more consistent in the weight that you were moving, which should help your progress as well.

If you are at a home gym or otherwise lifting the exact same plates every time, you are going to have to suck it up and get some fractional plates or 2" washers at least.

Ben Sparks 10-14-2009 12:25 PM

Thanks, guys. Fractional loading it is.

I work out at home, and eating enough is never a problem for me ;)

Jamie J. Skibicki 10-14-2009 12:26 PM

Ben,

Eat more. Fractional plates are awesome, I just used some today.

Graeme Howland 10-14-2009 02:38 PM

Do you breath inbetween reps at the bottom (bar on delts) or the top? I picked up a tip from one of the 70sbig guys that breathing at the top can make the press a lot stronger (stretch reflex) and that Rip has taught it that way. Going to try it myself as I am getting near my 5x3 limit (also doing CFWF as RX'd).

Justin McGinley 10-14-2009 04:49 PM

You might want to reset to 130-135 and get back into getting 3x5 up consistently.

Steven Low 10-14-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

I suspect its overuse in disguise - there have been heavy thrusters, Fran, ring dips, shoulder press-push press-thruster etc. in between. So essentially, when the program calls for one pressing day per week, I'm getting 2 or sometimes more. I also don't have micro plates and don't have the option of adding 2.5lbs.
Fractional plates won't help when this is happening.

So.. sorry to the other people who commented about fractional plates

Clinton Canaday 11-05-2009 10:26 PM

I've also stalled on my press (155 max for pretty much my entire 1.5 year CF tenure) and would like some insight. I'll try getting some 1.25 pound collars or weights or whatever that I can hang from the bar. I've tried correcting form, breathing techniques, eating more (Zone/Paleo with 1:1 gr protein to # BW and 2x fat, or about 3500 cals per day), following CFFB to increase strength (haven't tried strength bias, yet)...Frustrating.

James Rios 11-06-2009 12:15 AM

i too have been having similar problems, only i stalled much lower at 135. its a problem that has left me quite irritated...

one idea that a crossfit trainer friend of mine had seemed like it had merit...
he said that it might be a lack of midline strength... basically the midline is not strong enough to harness the strength necessary for the shoulders to do their job of getting the heavy bar overhead.
so i started working on my OHS, and other midline stuff. im pretty sure it helped... BUUT i havent been able to see any real improvements yet because i got the flu just about the time i would have started to see improvements...
so yeah...
just an idea...