CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   alyson's log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39239)

Alyson Terranova 11-12-2008 08:11 PM

alyson's log

A little about me. I've been doing CF since May of this year after a friend talked to me so much about it that I decided to give it a try. I'm so happy I did because it's been so much fun!

Just over 5 weeks ago, I started eating paleo (with the exception of a tiny bit of milk in my morning coffee and the sheep's milk yogurt I have for breakfast during the work week) in zone proportions and it's been going pretty well so far (thanks for all your help Erin!). I plan on continuing on being strict for the next two weeks until vacation and then starting back up once I get back. I'll be posting my food log too because I like the accountability it gives. With that said, here's what today looked like:

6:20 - coffee with a bit of milk
7:10 - 6oz sheep's milk yogurt with 2/3c frozen raspberries mixed in; plus 1 hard boiled egg (this is my normal breakfast during the week...really the only thing that changes is the type of fruit mixed into my yogurt)
9:30 - ginger tea
10:05 - 1 total block of ginger pear chicken with bok choy
12:30 - 3 oz pork roast with 1 1/4 cups each broccoli and cauliflower with 1 tsp butter; plus 1 kiwi (I was pretty hungry today, this lunch was so good)
4:45 - 1 red pepper (~ 1 1/4 cups); 1oz turkey; 1 macadamia nut
6:00 - WOD
7:30 - 3oz pot roast with ~1 block total sauce and onion; plus 1 pear baked with cinnamon

This was a good first workout to log because I was very happy with how it went:

Full Squat Cleans:
65x5
85x4
95x3
105x2
110xf
110xf
105x1
105xf
105xf
105x1 (had to end on a good note)

I had never maxed my full squat clean before and was surprised with the weight I was able to do. For the first attempt at 110, I caught it but landed weird with my feet, so dumped, for the second attempt, I caught it too far in front of me causing me to dump, couldn't get back up. Also need to make sure I shrug all the way and have to be quicker with my elbows getting ready for the catch. Oh well, very happy with 105.

(Random) EQI (think that's what it's called):
10s (?..wasn't timed but think it was about the same), 10s, 10s

I need to do this more, I really want a pull up.

Tuck Sit Holds on parallette bars:
20s, 14s

Tuck Hold off bar:
60s

I think that's good for now.

Erin Davidson 11-12-2008 09:36 PM

Re: alyson's log

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW EXCITED I AM TO SEE YOU AROUND HERE!

er, or maybe you do... :)

All I gotta say is - "Grace" - the Saturday before you leave. Let's hit up sub 5. :yikes:

Oh yeah - and you are in such big trouble...breaking my squat clean PR cannot be allowed. I'll race you to 115, Miss 205lb. Deadlift.

Alyson Terranova 11-13-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

All I gotta say is - "Grace" - the Saturday before you leave. Let's hit up sub 5.

Oh yeah - and you are in such big trouble...breaking my squat clean PR cannot be allowed. I'll race you to 115, Miss 205lb. Deadlift.
We're going to do "Grace" the same day as rock climbing? Definitely want to hit sub 5 this time...and as Rxd. I'm sure I can do it this time.

I thought I just tied your squat clean PR...didn't stand up 110.

So far today:

10:00 - Fasted WOD
11:30 - Cafe Americano with a splash of milk
11:45 - Lamb, curry, carrot, escarole, onion stuff that Erin made that was wonderful!
1:45 - Cafe Americano with a splash of milk

WOD:
Josh - slightly modified
21 OHS (used 55lbs)
42 Jumping Pull Ups
15 OHS
30 Jumping Pull Ups
9 OHS
18 Jumping Pull Ups

9:59

Very happy to have my overhead squat back. I had issues about a month ago and couldn't even do 45lbs (this was after doing 65lbs before that). Just got too much inside my head, so I'm glad that's over with...now I'm wondering what my max OHS is...hmmm...maybe I'll find out Sunday.

Alyson Terranova 11-13-2008 06:11 PM

I really need to eat more consistently on days I'm off work...I always wind up hungry because I never eat enough.

Finishing out today:

6:30 - 3 soft boiled eggs; ~3/4 cup green pepper; 1 apple plus 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts baked with cinnamon (so good! I was so hungry when I made this.)

Samantha Aurelio 11-13-2008 09:07 PM

Yayyyyy Log!
hi alyson! :D

Justin McGinley 11-14-2008 10:50 PM

Oh snap. Alyson is here. :pepper:

Justin McGinley 11-14-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyson Terranova (Post 445932)
now I'm wondering what my max OHS is...hmmm...maybe I'll find out Sunday.

I need to try this as well. I've never done a heavy OHS.

Alyson Terranova 11-15-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

I need to try this as well. I've never done a heavy OHS.
Are you coming to open gym Sunday?

As long as my arms are less sore than they are today, I definitely will be trying heavy OHS tomorrow.

Let's see...Friday is always a rest day, here's what I ate:

6:20 - coffee
7:10 - normal breakfast with frozen blueberries
9:15 - ginger tea
10:00 - 1 total block of ginger pear chicken
12:55 - 3oz of pork roast, 1 1/4 cups each broccoli and cauliflower with 1 tsp butter; 2/3 c frozen raspberries
2:00 - pomegranate white tea
3:30 - 1 1/4 cup green pepper; 1oz turkey; 1 macadamia nut
6:00 - cheat meal: french toast, bacon, potatoes, orange juice (good at the time, not so good shortly after...but that's to be expected...I was thinking about breakfast food for a couple of days, so this was good...now back to good eating...)

So far for today:

9:30 - fasted WOD
11:00 - 3 soft boiled eggs; 1 pear baked with cinnamon and 1 tbsp walnuts; coffee

I really want to make an effort to eat more regularly throughout the day today so I'm not starving later in the evening, I'll see how it goes.

Today's WOD was 'Man Overboard'

Complete AMRAP while one person rows 500m:

55lb Sumo Deadlift High Pulls
20in Box Jumps
10lb Wall Ball
45lb Push Press
Burpees

I don't remember any of my total reps, but I rowed last and rowed 500m in 2:09, which I was very happy with!

Off to do a ridiculous amount of errands to get ready for London!

Justin McGinley 11-15-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyson Terranova (Post 447266)
Are you coming to open gym Sunday?

Probably. If I do, I'll go after some heavy OHS and 5x5 Backsquat.

'Man Overboard' looks brutal.

Alyson Terranova 11-16-2008 06:30 PM

Lots and lots of strength stuff today, but first, have to finish my food log from yesterday:

Saturday:
2:00 - 1 block of ginger pear chicken; 1oz ham; 2/3 cup fresh raspberries; 1 macadamia nut (I was hungrier than I thought)
6:45 - 3 total blocks of shrimp with broccoli, celery, and onion (Erin's looked so good the other day, I had to try it)
7:30 - 1 oz ham; 1 block worth of 73% dark chocolate (okay, I was still hungry)

This was better than most weekend days.

Sunday:
9:30 - 3 oz of cranberry orange chicken with ~1 block of carbs; 3/4 cup mashed turnips, ~3/4 cup mixed berries (I think this is the first time I had something other than typical breakfast food for breakfast, and it was good!)
12:30 - 1 total block of shrimp with broccoli, celery, and onion
2:00 ish - WOD
5:30 - 4 oz steak with ~ 1 block of onion and pepper; 1 1/4 cups cauliflower; 1 apple baked with cinnamon and a small amount of walnuts (I was hungry so decided to make this a 4 block meal, which I don't normally do, but it was a good decision for today.)

I did a lot of strength stuff today at open gym.

Overhead Squats
45x10
55x5
65x5xf (65x2) - weird should pain after I dumped - still a PR though
65x5xf (65x1) - still weird pain, so I stopped here and switched to back squats

Still have a weird thing with my OHS. Erin pointed out that I'm too good at dumping the weight if I have to that maybe I'm just dumping at the first sign of being unstable instead of trying to correct and stand up (usually dump in the hole). I agree, and I really need to work on this. 55lbs was easy, 65 didn't seem too difficult. I also think that I rush and need to slow down just a teeny tiny bit, maybe that will help with the unstable-ness at the bottom of the squat. Would like to get 75lbs next time I OHS. Will just have to work more on this.

Back Squats
45x10
65x5
85x5
95x5
105x5
115x5
125x3

I haven't back squatted in over 2 months, so this was good...125 was my previous PR, so I was happy I kept the same weight...125x3 was also done about 20 minutes after I did 115x5 (I was watching and keeping track of Sam's 16 + rounds of Cindy :))

EQI
13s, 14s, 13s

8x2 deadhangs with purple band (Didn't quite make it all the way on the 2nd pullups. This was hard, I kip when on the purple band, so I had to keep reminding myself not to.)

Ok, I think that's all for tonight!