CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Explain why the WOD is enough (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39518)

David Meverden 11-25-2008 10:10 AM

Re: Explain why the WOD is enough

Dictionary.com, ehh Patrick? Lets see what Merriam Webster has to say on fitness . . .
[QUOTE]1: the quality or state of being fit[/QUOTE]
Ah HA! Case closed. Doesn't say ANYTHING about oxygen distribution in THERE! Check and mate, Mr. Skinner! :D I actually like #2 almost as much:
[QUOTE]
2: the capacity of an organism to survive and transmit its genotype to reproductive offspring as compared to competing organisms[/QUOTE]

Judging by some of the testimonial before and after pictures I'd guess there are [I]definitely[/I] some crossfitters than are "more likely to transmit [his/her] genotype to reproductive offspring" because of crossfit . . . if you know what I mean ;)

Hmm, still not hitting the mark in terms of x-fit type fitness. Well, third times the charm: Cambridge dictionary, I choose you!
[QUOTE]
fitness
noun [U]
the condition of being physically strong and healthy:[/QUOTE]

There we go! That's closer to the mark! Though not very funny.

Gavin Harrison 11-25-2008 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=Patrick Skinner;454656]And to say that a marathon runner is not fit seems awful close minded and maybe even a bit ignorant. They may not be "crossfit fit" but they are certainly fit. [/QUOTE]

I think this depends on if the person is a "marathon runner" or "an athlete who runs marathons". Quite different statements.

The first implies the person's only goal is to run marathons, which implies that they make huge sacrifices in other parts of their potential physical capacity to maximize their potential in the oxidative pathway.

The second implies an athlete in a different sport who runs marathons for the hell of it.

Though a marathon runner can be fit, most are not. You also do not even have to be close to fit to be able to fun a marathon. Also, a great number of people who are incredibly ill prepared run marathons. Also, all of the distance running marathoners typically do to train reeks havoc on your strength, agility, balance, coordination, power, glycogenic/phosphofgenic pathways... if not part of a more balanced exercise regimen.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily call other athletes [i]more[/i] fit than a marathoner, a powerlifter who can't walk a flight of stairs without being completely winded isn't exactly fit, but many athletes are more fit than marathoners, because they have to utilize more than just the oxidative pathway in order to be successful in their sport.

Chadron Edwards 11-25-2008 10:41 AM

------

Chadron Edwards 11-25-2008 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=Patrick Skinner;454696]From dictionary.com : fitness : " the capability of the body of distributing inhaled oxygen to muscle tissue during increased physical effort." by this defintion i would describe a marathon runner as fit.[/QUOTE]

I think this is overbroad, underbroad, and generally incomplete. I'd have to ask, under an interpretation of this definition, can we say someone is either "fit or not fit" or can we say that one is "more fit" than another? If itís the former, then this definition works (that is, without making a value judgment as to whether itís right or wrong). However, if itís the latter, and we think that fitness can be measured in relative terms, this definition is incomplete (again, no normative statement here).

If thatís the case, I would tend to think that a proper working definition would have to be exclusive of at least two anecdotal groups: those who can lift but canít run and those who can run but canít lift.

Also, there is ó or at least there should be ó a big difference between doing Fran as the WOD and then running a mile, and coach posting the WOD "For time: 21-15-9 reps of thrusters and pullups, then run a mile." (I hesitate to post that one, lest he get any ideas...)

Andy Gann 11-25-2008 11:40 AM

[QUOTE][I]I agree the best thing to do is work on your weaknesses. I think she would see significant improvement in her 5k, 10k, 15k times if she were to work on those weaknesses. [/I][/QUOTE]

Up until I began crossfit 7 months ago, I ran 3 or 4 times a week (for 3 years). LSD - 3 or 4 miles. I never ran any faster (hardly) or any longer and always ran out of gas at the end. Through that I was skinny-fat and very weak. After 4 months of CF (mainpage WOD and affiliate WOD) - no other work - 5 days a week. I ran a 15k (9.x miles) in 90 minutes. I know it's not record breaking time but hey - I couldn't believe it. Not to mention - now I have muscles, my BF% has dropped 8 percent and I feel incredible. 7 months ago I was [I]fit[/I] by the world's standards - everybody would ask me what I do to stay in shape ... but, now, I see it in a whole new light... CF workouts alone have increased not only my [I]fitness[/I] but also my running speed and endurance.

The only variable that nobody has discussed is whether or not your GF has actually [I]tried[/I] only the WOD at full intensity. If she will not do that then she will never understand. My challenge would be to have her black box it on herself and then re-evaluate the question in one month.

Wil Vicinus 11-25-2008 11:47 AM

I came to CrossFit as a middle-of-the-pack marathoner who was looking to supplement with some cross-training. At the time I was running approximately 65 - 75 miles per week, and doing scaled CrossFit WODs 2 or 3 times per week.

It took me about 6 months to get out of the "endurance" and "pacing" mindset that is ingrained into most distance runners. So for the first 6 months of my CrossFitting, no the WOD was not enough. The first time I actually hit the WOD with full-on, balls-to-the wall intensity, I was SMOKED. That's when I realized what everyone else was talking about regarding intensity.

From my own personal experience, it's tough for an endurance athlete to wrap their mind around the concept that a relatively short, very intense workout would be 'enough' until they can break the habit of keeping something in the tank as a reserve. Until they experience what full intensity really is, they may not be able to understand how the WOD can be enough.

John Doyle 11-25-2008 11:53 AM

My girlfriend tried telling me that other than heavy lifting, crossfit wouldn't be much harder for her than going to a hard spin class or doing an hour on the treadmill. I had her do the WOD with me on Sunday:

Three rounds for time of:
21 Knees to elbows
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell swing, 21 reps
21 Push-ups
15 foot Rope climb, 3 ascents
20 inch Box jump, 21 reps
21 Back extension
Walking lunge, 150 ft

Needless to say, she wasn't able to make it to her spin class Monday (or get off the couch for that matter). I am now helping her work on her pushups and pullups and getting her to slowly convert over to CF.

Wade Smith 11-25-2008 01:32 PM

Not addressed to anyone in particular; just those who are trapped in thinking the WOD = mainpage WOD.

One person's mainpage WOD isn't necessarily equal to another person's affiliate WOD which isn't necessarily equal to yet another person's solo crossfit WOD. There is elbow room within the term WOD to not get stuck on semantics and assumptions.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Skylar Cook 11-25-2008 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=John Doyle;455358]My girlfriend tried telling me that other than heavy lifting, crossfit wouldn't be much harder for her than going to a hard spin class or doing an hour on the treadmill. I had her do the WOD with me on Sunday:

Three rounds for time of:
21 Knees to elbows
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell swing, 21 reps
21 Push-ups
15 foot Rope climb, 3 ascents
20 inch Box jump, 21 reps
21 Back extension
Walking lunge, 150 ft

Needless to say, she wasn't able to make it to her spin class Monday (or get off the couch for that matter). I am now helping her work on her pushups and pullups and getting her to slowly convert over to CF.[/QUOTE]

NICE! :highfive:

Patrick Skinner 11-25-2008 04:40 PM

At this point this thread has turned into a discusion of what "fit" is. We have disagreement that won't change, and both sides can quote and give reasons for their side until we are blue in the face with no winner.

All the antecdotal evidence is good and I have a good story about my own progress on crossfit too, but the main purpose of the post wasn't to necessarily convert my g/f to crossfit but just for her to understand that the WOD is enough.

She did black box it for about 3 weeks and just didn't like it as it didn't seem to fall in line with her goals.

That being said I think crossfit is the best way to workout but it isn't the only way to fitness(crossfit's defintion).