CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Explain why the WOD is enough (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39518)

Gerhard Lavin 11-21-2008 03:43 AM

Re: Explain why the WOD is enough

Has Crossfit ever said the WOD is enough? You should be doing th CF warmup or similar followed by the WOD and then some skill work. You also should learning new sports regularly. The WOD is only part of the CF puzzle.

Gavin Harrison 11-21-2008 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=Ger Lavin;452198]Has Crossfit ever said the WOD is enough? You should be doing th CF warmup or similar followed by the WOD and then some skill work. You also should learning new sports regularly. The WOD is only part of the CF puzzle.[/QUOTE]

This is necessary for sport, not fitness..

Anyway, most crossfit WODs provide a HUGE hormonal response which you simply DO NOT GET from most other types of exercise without pharmaceutic aid. This is the key to their potency. It forces an adaptation process which causes your body to change even when you are not working out, which you do not get from long slow exercise. Pure strength training provides a similar adaptation cycle, with a lower hormonal response, but endurance training does not provide anything like it.

Also, I agree with everyone who's already posted.. if she hasn't tried doing at least WOD, appropriately scaled, hard, then she should..

S.S. 11-21-2008 10:43 AM

[QUOTE=Gavin Harrison;452457]This is necessary for sport, not fitness..
[/QUOTE]

I think Greg would disagree:

World-Class [U][B]Fitness[/B][/U] in 100 Words:
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. [B][U]Regularly learn and play new sports[/U][/B].

Sean Dunston 11-21-2008 11:24 AM

There is a video where Eva T answers this question regarding if the WODs are enough
She says something to the effect that if you think the WOD isn't enough, you aren't doing it hard enough.

edit-

here it is - not wfs due to multiple "F bombs"
[url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_AllisonNYCWebisode5n.wmv[/url]

Gavin Harrison 11-21-2008 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=Shane Skowron;452465]I think Greg would disagree:

World-Class [U][B]Fitness[/B][/U] in 100 Words:
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. [B][U]Regularly learn and play new sports[/U][/B].[/QUOTE]

While it's in the "Fitness in 100 word", I don't think all crossfitters engage in [i]new[/i] sports regularly, or they pick one and work hard for that, OR have crossfit as their sport. Also, I believe one can obtain wellness and fitness without actively engaging in sport, outside of crossfit.

Patrick Skinner 11-21-2008 03:41 PM

Wow, lots of quick responses.

To clarify some things. I have said most of your responses to her.
Her background is in long distance running, 30 miles a week. So she isn't exactly concerned with getting fit because she is, but she just wants to find a way to be more fit, and she doesn't want extra miles to be the answer.

She thinks that those in the videos performing say a 4min workout do other things in their workout to remain that fit and to have the ability to perform those workouts in 4mins.

She has done many of the workouts and even tried it for about a 4 week period with plenty of scaled versions. No surprise but she liked Murph the best due to the running emphasis and disliked nearly any workout that included weights., especially the 1-1-1-1-1 variety which required max effort. She did find the metcons to be taxing and difficult but couldnt get past the fact that for example FGB was over in 17mins and that was it for the day. She always included at least a mile warmup and either a timed mile or a mile cooldown, so that she felt it was a "long enough" workout.

S.S. 11-21-2008 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=Patrick Skinner;452721]So she isn't exactly concerned with getting fit because she is, but she just wants to find a way to be more fit
[/quote]

That's a loaded statement.

[QUOTE=Patrick Skinner;452721]
She thinks that those in the videos performing say a 4min workout do other things in their workout to remain that fit and to have the ability to perform those workouts in 4mins.

She has done many of the workouts and even tried it for about a 4 week period with plenty of scaled versions. No surprise but she liked Murph the best due to the running emphasis and disliked nearly any workout that included weights., especially the 1-1-1-1-1 variety which required max effort. She did find the metcons to be taxing and difficult but couldnt get past the fact that for example FGB was over in 17mins and that was it for the day. She always included at least a mile warmup and either a timed mile or a mile cooldown, so that she felt it was a "long enough" workout.[/QUOTE]

If she didn't think that FGB was "enough" for the day, it's really obvious she wasn't trying her hardest. That is among the most metabolically-taxing workouts and there is no way you can put everything you've got into that one and still think it's not enough.

If she wants to do a mile warmup and a mile time trial every now and then, that is perfectly acceptable. In fact, those CFers who want to be better runners will add sprints or short intervals at some point after their WOD. However, the most elite CFers just do a warmup, the WOD, and some skill work, only occasionally doing a 2nd WOD.

No offense to your friend, but 30 miles a week really isn't a great deal of running. It's more than most Crossfitters do, but my guess is that she thinks about workouts more in terms of time spent working out rather than quality or intensity of the workout. Running 30mpw will take longer than all the WODs in a week combined, but even the best distance runners know that quality of mileage is far more important than quantity. Same with CF workouts.

Gavin Harrison 11-21-2008 08:14 PM

from the crossfit endurance folks: [url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitEndruance_AgainFaster_BMac.mov[/url] (wfs)

Christian Gotcher 11-21-2008 08:42 PM

I've found that beginners at an activity have two power modes- marginal and off. They're uncomfortable really throwing themselves at something because they've never done it before, and it takes a while to get them to the level where they're actually gunning for it.

It sounds like she simply isn't at the stage where she's able or willing to throw the kind of intensity into the WODs that they need. If she sticks with it, though, with a real effort to turn up the heat, that will come, I'm sure. "Consistency before intensity," right?

Byron Garcia 11-22-2008 12:25 AM

[QUOTE=Gavin Harrison;452543]While it's in the "Fitness in 100 word", I don't think all crossfitters engage in [i]new[/i] sports regularly, or they pick one and work hard for that, OR have crossfit as their sport. Also, I believe one can obtain wellness and fitness without actively engaging in sport, outside of crossfit.[/QUOTE]

Even so, maybe they should. From the CrossFit Journal article "What is Fitness?" by Coach Greg Glassman:

Sport plays a wonderful role in fitness. Sport is the application of fitness in a fantastic atmosphere of competition and mastery. Training efforts typically include relatively predictable repetitive movements and provide limited opportunity for the essential
combination of our ten general physical skills. It is, after all, the combined expression, or application, of the ten general skills that is our motivation for their development in the first place. Sports and games like soccer, martial arts, baseball, and basketball in
contrast to our training workouts have more varied and less predictable movements. But, where sports develop and require all ten general skills simultaneously, they do so slowly compared to our strength and conditioning regimen. Sport is better, in our view, at
expression and testing of skills than it is at developing these same skills. Both expression and development are crucial to our fitness. Sport in many respects more closely mimics the demands of nature than does our training. We encourage and expect our athletes to engage in regular sports efforts in addition to all of their strength and conditioning work.