CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Life Changes, Priorities and Program Design (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=87862)

Tim Squires 10-21-2014 10:17 AM

Life Changes, Priorities and Program Design

I’ve spent the better part of two years following a fairly strict 3 days on, one day off, two days on, one day off competitive CrossFit/weightlifting schedule. With life changes, basketball season beginning and simply wanting to take a step back from competition, I’ve decided to fit my programming around my life, as opposed to fitting my life around my programming. Based on the new schedule, training will now be two days on, one day off, two days on, two days off.

I haven’t been able to find a dedicated program set to this structure which has led to me to work on designing my own…obviously not ideal. In the past I’ve spent over a year following Outlaw, a year following Invicitus, and most recently 6 months following a dedicated LSUS/Mash weightlifting program. I’d like the new program to have some of these basic outlines:

· 3 days of squatting per week. Two back squat, one front squat based on a Mash squat program.
· Two dedicated weightlifting days. Technique/volume day and a “Max Out” day.
· Gymnastics work twice a week.
· Three metcons a week.
· Two days of Hypertrophy/Bodybuilding.
· Each training day MAXIMUM of 1.5 hours.
· Basketball twice a week.

Here’s a rough draft of what I’ve come up with:

Monday- Basketball Games
Tuesday- Snatch and Clean and Jerk Volume/Percentage work, Front Squat, Short metcon.
Wednesday- Back Squat, Bench Press, Pull Ups, Leg/Chest/Arm/Midline Hypertrophy
Thursday- Basketball Games/Active Recovery Day.
Friday- Max Snatch and CJ, Medium metcon.
Saturday- Back Squat, Split Jerk, Deadlift/HSPU progression EMOM work, metcon.
Sunday- Back/Shoulders/Arm/Midline Hypertrophy

Thoughts and opinions? The back to back squatting days is obviously not ideal, and the extra Sunday BB day may be wishful thinking at this point, but I could not come up with a better way of organizing based on the requirements I mentioned above. Also note that both basketball days truly are “active recovery days” and shouldn’t lead to any overexertion for the following day’s training.

Blair Robert Lowe 10-21-2014 11:41 AM

Re: Life Changes, Priorities and Program Design

Decent. I've done FS/BS back to back and vice versa. I also have a friend who is doing BS then FS early in the week because of a weird schedule she has at her gym. FS the day before seems to limit the BS the next day.

I've got a buddy and we actually fleshed out something for him as his job and working on his Master's on a few weeknights and coaching in the early *** mornings were taxing.

He was coming from WL programming at a nearby club though originally he switched to WL from competitive CF aspirations because his lifts needed to get a lot stronger.

Similar focus of cutting training time to 90m-2hrs.

Basically it's 3 days of lifting. M-Sn, W-CJ, F-max out, Sa-other strength work. BS on M and Sa, FS on Wed. Conditioning on MWSa. Push work on M, Pull work on W.

Personally, I've tried to rack BTN jerk the day after a max out and it's never been great typically. I did get into doing jerk recoveries on Sa after F max-out and that worked out well but I wouldn't do them before HSPU work because Jerk recoveries will tax the hell out of you.

Yeah, the Sunday is fine. Even if you end up skipping it or doing a light CF WoD or KB, jog whatever.

Tim Squires 10-21-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe (Post 1243638)
Decent. I've done FS/BS back to back and vice versa. I also have a friend who is doing BS then FS early in the week because of a weird schedule she has at her gym. FS the day before seems to limit the BS the next day.

I've got a buddy and we actually fleshed out something for him as his job and working on his Master's on a few weeknights and coaching in the early *** mornings were taxing.

He was coming from WL programming at a nearby club though originally he switched to WL from competitive CF aspirations because his lifts needed to get a lot stronger.

Similar focus of cutting training time to 90m-2hrs.

Basically it's 3 days of lifting. M-Sn, W-CJ, F-max out, Sa-other strength work. BS on M and Sa, FS on Wed. Conditioning on MWSa. Push work on M, Pull work on W.

Personally, I've tried to rack BTN jerk the day after a max out and it's never been great typically. I did get into doing jerk recoveries on Sa after F max-out and that worked out well but I wouldn't do them before HSPU work because Jerk recoveries will tax the hell out of you.

Yeah, the Sunday is fine. Even if you end up skipping it or doing a light CF WoD or KB, jog whatever.

Nice input Blair.

The squat program is designed as a RM back squat day, followed by pause front and pause back squat days. I've learned that trying to back squat after snatch/cleaning takes much longer than just jumping into front squatting. I imagine paused back squats the day after paused front squats should be ok.

I played around with recoveries the entire LSUS cycle and didn't find they helped much. My bigger issue is footwork which I also think should be fine the day after a max out. Mash's program actually lines out heavy back squats, split jerks and pulls on the day after a max out. Though I may need to rethink where I put HSPUs in there.

Metcon planning is still up in the air. Not sure if should just randomly pick something each day or try and choose them treating as accessory work.

Larry Bruce 10-21-2014 01:36 PM

Don't know you but it seems like it's too much stuff in too many directions.
I don't see any priorities.

Clint Harris 10-21-2014 02:10 PM

I mirror Larry's sentiments. It simply looks like "more is more". I also don't see how this fits your "two days on, one day off, two days on, two days off" desire either.

Why not just continue to follow whatever program you are already following, and just modify the day's. As life happens, you just roll with it.
For example:
If your current programming calls for work-work-work-rest-work-work-rest
Just because there are 7 days listed there, doesn't mean you have to be a Monday-Sunday 7 day cycle. Alter it as necessary, maybe your schedule might start to look like work-work-rest-work-rest-work-work-rest or whatever. You simply follow the program as written, but ultimately behind a few days and add in the rest days as life dictates. (and/or to prevent heavy squat twice in a row).
So you aren't reinventing your programming, you're just adjusting it to your schedule.

Failing that, if you are wanting to build your own programming. Then perhaps do some mini-cycles. Concentrate on squatting for 6 weeks. Then Oly lifting for 6 weeks. Then metcon for 6 weeks. Then hypertrophy for 6 weeks. etc. Keep some basic strength/metcon in there always, but change the focus.

And yes, I'd personally try to add in accessory work into the metcon. Especially if you are trying to keep it all to under 1.5 hrs.

Blair Robert Lowe 10-21-2014 07:54 PM

Yeah, I'm not really sure partials (recoveries, jerk dips, pin squats above 1/4, [I've never tried rack pulls], shrugs) really matter much, it was more so that my upper body was fried after a max out. Heavy squats and pulls after a maxout day was never a problem really (even Power lifts if I wanted to bother with them.

Maybe BTN SJ but I generally did those on Mondays and I sure as heck wasn't gonna be worth a damn doing split jerks from the front off a rack the day after a max out.

I squat a lot easier after doing the lifts than hitting them first or standalone.