CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 01-23-2009 10:50 AM

Re: Nik

Scott, that is a great thread, thanks a ton!! I'll be trying some of that out at lunch.

My back is better. No pain meds so far today, I'm still sore, but I'm ok.

Scott Jenkins 01-23-2009 10:54 AM

Since my back irritations started in July I have not taken a single pain medication, I would rather know where I am at than think its all good then wake in the morning and the pain is back. Right now I can Deadlift heavy with no pain, but if I want to touch my toes with straight legs my back says no.

Nik Nichols 01-23-2009 11:01 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;500682]Since my back irritations started in July I have not taken a single pain medication, I would rather know where I am at than think its all good then wake in the morning and the pain is back. Right now I can Deadlift heavy with no pain, but if I want to touch my toes with straight legs my back says no.[/QUOTE]

That sucks Scott! That you cant touch your toes but deadlift!!

The Doc gave them to me, I was in a bad way, but I hate taking any meds, everything makes me feel funny. Even my fish oil caps make me feel funny!!
But the meds did help me for the one day I did take them. I have them with me if I need them, but like you I eant to know where I'm at. So far so good.

Nik Nichols 01-23-2009 11:27 AM

Lunch time.

Supine Bridges, 4 sets 10.
bird dog 4 sets 10.
front squats 1 set 10 @45lbs
1 set 10 @65lbs
2 sets10 @95lbs

4 sets 10 inverted grip dead hang pullups.

Back is feeling ok. No problems with the exercizes.

Nik Nichols 01-23-2009 02:22 PM

3:00 break

30 situps 25lbs
20 situps 40lbs

4 set10 ring pushups
4 sets of 5 front lever work
4sets 5 back lever work
25 back ext 25lbs

2 sets of 10 Supine Bridges (hold for a cout of 5)

Nick Harris 01-23-2009 05:43 PM

Nice workouts Nik. Good to see you getting out and about with your back the way it is.

Nik Nichols 01-26-2009 09:06 AM

[QUOTE=Nick Harris;501028]Nice workouts Nik. Good to see you getting out and about with your back the way it is.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Nick, How is the knee?

Nik Nichols 01-26-2009 09:12 AM

Ok after a sore week end, I am going to have to skip the main page till I get my back squared away. I don't know if I am pushing to hard, lifting wrong(I try to focus on form), or just a cronic weak back.

I talked to Chuck B. a bit and he gave me some pointers to strenthen my back and I will be focusing on the first. When I feel like my back is good then I will move on. But I have to get stronger first.

Any help or tips for strenthening my back is welcome.

Scott Jenkins 01-26-2009 09:34 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;502698]Ok after a sore week end, I am going to have to skip the main page till I get my back squared away. I don't know if I am pushing to hard, lifting wrong(I try to focus on form), or just a cronic weak back.

I talked to Chuck B. a bit and he gave me some pointers to strenthen my back and I will be focusing on the first. When I feel like my back is good then I will move on. But I have to get stronger first.

Any help or tips for strenthening my back is welcome.[/QUOTE]

Over the last 3 or 4 months I have found that the best exercises for strengthening my back are the ones I cannot perform, like deadlift, so its a matter of finding lower back exercises that give you personally no pain. A good one for me when my back was quite bad was planks, front, sides and back, also you could do what I call dish holds. You lay on your front and raise your legs and arms just like in a superman except this time you hold yourself in the flexed position. Do you have a machine to perform Back extensions as if they are comfortable it will help?

Nik Nichols 01-26-2009 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;502716]Over the last 3 or 4 months I have found that the best exercises for strengthening my back are the ones I cannot perform, like deadlift, so its a matter of finding lower back exercises that give you personally no pain. A good one for me when my back was quite bad was planks, front, sides and back, also you could do what I call dish holds. You lay on your front and raise your legs and arms just like in a superman except this time you hold yourself in the flexed position. Do you have a machine to perform Back extensions as if they are comfortable it will help?[/QUOTE]

Yea, I can do back ext, I will do the super man thing too. I hate planks!!!Long and boring!!

When I dead lift, I will just have to go light till I'm sure I'm past this and stronger.