CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Increasing endurance in a short time (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=81003)

Ajay Chahar 03-13-2013 12:17 PM

Increasing endurance in a short time

I understand that this question is inherently flawed but I am hoping to receive some constructive answer. What would you do to increase your endurance levels if you were given 22 days? I know that endurance is something you develop over time but I'm in a bit of a pickle and would appreciate any feedback!

Jeff Enge 03-13-2013 12:35 PM

Re: Increasing endurance in a short time

Details??

What do you need to increase endurance for?

Where are you at now? Where do you "need" to be?

The question is "inherently flawed" because it is extrordinarily vague.

Ajay Chahar 03-13-2013 12:40 PM

Well I've been running everyday for the past few weeks and now I can run a 5K at a not so fast pace. I start training at the military academy soon and just wanted to squeeze the best shape I can over the next three weeks before I begin.

Lance Neumeyer 03-13-2013 04:27 PM

Congratulations! Just being accepted is something to be EXTREMELY proud of, which one will you be attending?

Stephen Smith 03-13-2013 04:28 PM

Unless you're going through a special forces training program of some sort, you won't suffer too much if you can do a 5K right now. Academy training PT won't be that demanding, although they may try to hammer you at the beginning to drive a point home. I would mix in some whole-body bodyweight stuff though, like burpees, pullups and pushups, and the military always like crunches.

Brendan McNamar 03-14-2013 08:27 AM

3 days on 1 day off at a correct level for your current fitness will yield the best results.

Doing too much won't get you fit faster.

Look at the PT test for your branch for hints on what to focus on.

Lance Neumeyer 03-14-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Smith (Post 1148106)
Unless you're going through a special forces training program of some sort, you won't suffer too much if you can do a 5K right now. Academy training PT won't be that demanding, although they may try to hammer you at the beginning to drive a point home. I would mix in some whole-body bodyweight stuff though, like burpees, pullups and pushups, and the military always like crunches.

I agree - I was expecting hell at Marine boot camp, and it was challenging - but nowhere near as tough as I thought it would be. Football two-a-days were much, much worse.

Ajay Chahar 03-14-2013 02:02 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Jeffrey Cupra 03-14-2013 04:31 PM

Interval training is the fasted way to get your conditioning up in the shortest amount of time.

Thomas Bailly 03-15-2013 12:18 AM

5k is not endurance.
Conditioning is not endurance.
Endurance by definition requires time.

I remember now why I stopped checking out these message boards.