CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Beta Alanine (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=80443)

Chris Magnuson 02-16-2013 08:30 PM

Beta Alanine

Curious to know what you guys think is the best time to take this product. The supply I got states one serving before/ one after, some threads state to take post wod with whey/ creatine, a product like results states post wod but daily doses, and lastly some threads state it doesn't matter just take it daily. Can anyone shed some light on the subject ??

Andrew W Cooper 02-17-2013 02:33 PM

Re: Beta Alanine

I'm sure others have more info on the science of it.

But I take pure beta alanine as well, 5g on workout days as soon as I begin my warm up, this lets the "effects" or skin tingling part kick in right about workout time.

Just my 2 cents

Joey Shishineh 02-17-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew W Cooper (Post 1138622)
I'm sure others have more info on the science of it.

But I take pure beta alanine as well, 5g on workout days as soon as I begin my warm up, this lets the "effects" or skin tingling part kick in right about workout time.

Just my 2 cents

What? This is a side effect of beta alanine in your system. It is NOT the beneficial reason people take beta alanine. Beta alanine is just like creatine, it can be taken whenever. Usually people break up the doses into two smaller ones to reduce the tingling sensation as it can be quite uncomfortable in the face and ears.

I believe the reason to take beta alanine is that is can increase carnosine levels.

Andrew W Cooper 02-17-2013 03:11 PM

I never said that's why people took it, or that that's the only reason people took it.

Just that there is a tingling effect shortly after you take it.

Thanks

Richard Deyan 02-17-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Magnuson (Post 1138447)
Curious to know what you guys think is the best time to take this product. The supply I got states one serving before/ one after, some threads state to take post wod with whey/ creatine, a product like results states post wod but daily doses, and lastly some threads state it doesn't matter just take it daily. Can anyone shed some light on the subject ??

Dosing is not time-dependent. What is important is the saturation levels. So it doesn't have to be taken surrounding the workout period in order for it to do its job.

Chris Mason 02-17-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Deyan (Post 1138675)
Dosing is not time-dependent. What is important is the saturation levels. So it doesn't have to be taken surrounding the workout period in order for it to do its job.

What he said :).

Chris Diamont 02-17-2013 09:50 PM

So is 5 grams enough in a day or at one time? Also what is best to mix BA powder with? By that I mean when taking it mix with water juice protein carbs?

Joey Shishineh 02-18-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew W Cooper (Post 1138638)
I never said that's why people took it, or that that's the only reason people took it.

Just that there is a tingling effect shortly after you take it.

Thanks

Sorry, I interpreted "this lets the "effects" or skin tingling part kick in right about workout time" to imply that you should take it before you workout. :icon_spee

Thanks

Richard Deyan 02-18-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Diamont (Post 1138791)
So is 5 grams enough in a day or at one time? Also what is best to mix BA powder with? By that I mean when taking it mix with water juice protein carbs?

Yes 5gnis certainly enough. Most studies were done with 3.2g daily. I would split your dosing up into 2.5g twice a day unless you're taking it with food. 5g at once without food could induce quite a parasthesia (tingling) effect just mix it with water.

Brian Lelli 02-19-2013 06:37 AM

Just be consistent. I do 5g every morning because that's what time is best for me to remember.