CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Crossfit Supplements? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=81297)

Jeff Russell 04-01-2013 02:23 PM

Crossfit Supplements?

Hey guys. Recently i have been thinking about giving my supplement regiment an overhaul. Below is a list of what i currently use and i am looking for your opinions as to wether or not i should change it or add/subtract from it. I am also on the paleo, so that has to factor in as well.

Pre Workout: (nothing as of right now)
Intra/Post: BSN Amino-X
30 mins prior to post: BSN Syntha6

Fish oil/flaxseed oil pill every meal, and vitamin D in the morning.

Im open to suggestions,

Thanks!!
:thanx:

Karolina Strzelecka 04-01-2013 02:27 PM

Re: Crossfit Supplements?

It's always good to take some BCAA before workout. Also you can add some L-Glutamine or Beta Alanine if you are working really hard.

Brad Allen Jones 04-01-2013 02:30 PM

Not a huge fan of Syntha-6...it messed up my stomach every time I took it.

What are you looking for in a supplement? A lot of them have been discussed pretty extensively in the past.

Some popular ones around here beta-alanine, creatine monohydrate, citruline mallate (I don't know much about this one, though). I think quite a few people take ZMA for recovery as well.

As far as protein (and basically everything else, actually) goes a lot of people are fond with AtLarge Nutrition, the owner posts here often and will answer any questions you have which is a plus.

Joseph Regan 04-01-2013 02:49 PM

What are your goals with your new supplements. Most people get caught up in the supplement circle and they dont have a clear cut direction which leads to most people wasting their money.

Jeff Russell 04-01-2013 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=Joseph Regan;1154257]What are your goals with your new supplements. Most people get caught up in the supplement circle and they dont have a clear cut direction which leads to most people wasting their money.[/QUOTE]

Im 19 years old and a quarterback for my university team up here in Canada. I'm 6'4 and 200 pounds, so I'm looking to put on a little bit of weight but basically I'm looking to increase strength.

Jeff Russell 04-01-2013 04:00 PM

thanks!

Brad Allen Jones 04-01-2013 04:02 PM

Make sure you're eating well and plenty.

The best thing you could take is a good, pure creatine mono. AtLarge nutrition has a good one for cheap.

Bill M. Hesse 04-01-2013 04:43 PM

BSN isn't a big name round these parts. At large nutrition or ON are the usual recommendations. BCAAs aren't needed if you are getting enough protein. D3 and fish oil are good. Other than that, creatine is about the only other coat effective product on the list. Beta alanine, seems popular too but I can't speak to its effectiveness.

Richard Deyan 04-01-2013 05:20 PM

[QUOTE=Jeff Russell;1154239]Hey guys. Recently i have been thinking about giving my supplement regiment an overhaul. Below is a list of what i currently use and i am looking for your opinions as to wether or not i should change it or add/subtract from it. I am also on the paleo, so that has to factor in as well.

Pre Workout: (nothing as of right now)
Intra/Post: BSN Amino-X
30 mins prior to post: BSN Syntha6

Fish oil/flaxseed oil pill every meal, and vitamin D in the morning.

Im open to suggestions,

Thanks!!
:thanx:[/QUOTE]

Syntha-6 is one of the "multi-blend" proteins that is loaded with nasty sugars and fats. The blend sucks. I'd drop it in favor of regular whey if you're going to have an intra-post workout shake.

Flax seed, depends what you're taking it for. Flax seed contains ALA which does not convert to EPA at a good rate by any means, so you're better off saving your money or spending it on something else.

Jeff Russell 04-01-2013 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=Brad Allen Jones;1154293]Make sure you're eating well and plenty.

The best thing you could take is a good, pure creatine mono. AtLarge nutrition has a good one for cheap.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Bill M. Hesse;1154315]BSN isn't a big name round these parts. At large nutrition or ON are the usual recommendations. BCAAs aren't needed if you are getting enough protein. D3 and fish oil are good. Other than that, creatine is about the only other coat effective product on the list. Beta alanine, seems popular too but I can't speak to its effectiveness.[/QUOTE]

What AtLarge products would you guys recommend?