CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Pukie's Bucket (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Glen Becks $9 online university 9 classes (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=59458)

Richard Aldrich 07-07-2010 10:41 PM

Glen Becks $9 online university 9 classes

Help wanted.

Classmates wanted and needed for Glen Becks, Beck U.

Fox News Edutainer Glen Beck has created his online university called Beck U.
(links below)

$6-$9 a month for 3 months July, Aug and Sept, 9 classes once a week on Wednesdays.
If you miss the class its available for the week until the following episode.

Topics Faith: given by David Barton a Historian
Hope: Given by David Buckner of Columbia U.
Charity: Unsure who is giving this, a constitution expert.

Classes started just last night July 7th

For 30 bucks in the " Insider Extreme" club these lessons can be attended online.
Now I'd like them recorded for later enjoyment, I'd love for them to be available in the future and on my hard drive for my own reviewing.

Glen Beck, i really like the guy so I'm writing this to serve me 2 fold. To share my enjoyment, and to try and capture this in a re viewable, savable format. I seek your help if you have it to offer. I'm willing to set up a forum where it can be talked about in the future in the event its a great course, and if i get inspired, some youtube videos. I think it will be fun based on my enjoyment of his show. If he likes the presenters then it may be a peek into who and where, and how he became who he is.

Anyone able and interested in this idea?

I'm going to post this at a few other sites to see if i can get at least 5 or 10 people into the idea so that I'll have people to talk to about it. If Adam Sandler only had a online college i could get some of these cold hearted women i meet on POF.com to smile a little when i tell them I'm not working : )

If you participate get what ever screen capture software you can so we can make an attempt at getting good resources to refer to in discussion.

Dimitri Dziabenko 07-08-2010 09:40 AM

Re: Glen Becks $9 online university 9 classes

I am curious if this qualifies as politics/religion :shrug:

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 07-08-2010 09:48 AM

Glenn Beck is bat-**** crazy.

Michael Travis 07-08-2010 09:58 AM

and it begins...

S.S. 07-08-2010 09:59 AM

This guy never earned a degree, right?

Michael Travis 07-08-2010 10:03 AM

I dont know, but he [I]does [/I]use a chalkboard, so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about...

Andrew Schechterly 07-08-2010 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=Lawrence "Bo" Boland III;808077]Glenn Beck is bat-**** crazy.[/QUOTE]

He reminds me of the guy on the news in V for Vendetta.

Jason R O'Dell 07-08-2010 11:53 AM

Closing in 3.....2.....1..........

Why would anyone want to learn from that angry little ball of hate?

Allen Tluczek 07-08-2010 01:10 PM

I actually thought this was a joke. Then I looked it up. Apparently it's real. But still a joke.

Richard Aldrich 07-08-2010 02:44 PM

I'm entertained by the guy.

Dimitri Dziabenko 07-08-2010 04:08 PM

K, since everybody is throwing jabs, while the thread is still open, I'll take a shot too:

"Yo Mama is so dumb, she flunked Glenn Beck University" :rofl:

Here is the curriculum:

:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

First Year courses (Core):

Crazy 101
Paranoia 101
Bulls**t 101
Truth Twisting 101
D**che-otomy 101
Crying on Cue 101
Culinary Arts 101: Tea, Teabags, and Teabagging

Advanced Second Year courses (Electives):

Advanced Marketing Seminar: Rare Gold Coins
Psych 301: Paranoia As Therapeutic Alternative
Fundamentals of Spelling and Grammar (Canceled in 2010)
Underwater Conspiracy Weaving
Semiotics of Tricornered Hats
Studies in Moral Courage: Joe McCarthy

Jamie J. Skibicki 07-08-2010 05:11 PM

I think thats the same ciriculm at the NYT, CNN, Fox, Cbs, Abs, Nbc, MSNBC, CNBC, etc.

Michael Travis 07-08-2010 05:19 PM

Wait what? I agreed until I saw fox Jaimie.. I mean they [I][/areI] fair and balanced after all.

Richard Aldrich 07-08-2010 05:49 PM

Tough crowd.

Jamie J. Skibicki 07-08-2010 05:51 PM

CNN + Fox is fair and balanced.

I will say I like the documentaries from MSNBC.

Jared Ashley 07-08-2010 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=Jamie J. Skibicki;808401]CNN + Fox is fair and balanced.
[/QUOTE]

No.

CNN + Fox is balanced, in that infinity + (-infinity) = 0.

For it to be fair, both would have to be closer to zero.

Glen Beck though... *shudder* ...he makes Fox look like a model of objective neutrality.

Jamie J. Skibicki 07-08-2010 07:15 PM

"CNN + Fox is balanced, in that infinity + (-infinity) = 0."

THat was what I was going for on that one. Watch them together and you have a n idea of what is really going on.

Here's a fun little trick. Watch a news story about something you are familiar with. THen realize they get everything just as wrong or incomplete.

Rick Hardin 07-08-2010 08:13 PM

It could always be worse.

Keith Olbermann University for example.

:eek:

Ned Ferguson 07-09-2010 03:24 PM

To the OP: Right on. I'm a huge Fan. Glenn rules. His detractors are short on substance and long on ad hominem.

Jason R O'Dell 07-09-2010 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=Ned Ferguson;808940]To the OP: Right on. I'm a huge Fan. Glenn rules. His detractors are short on substance and long on ad hominem.[/QUOTE]

I just feel we're short on hate and half-truths.

Jared Ashley 07-09-2010 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=Jamie J. Skibicki;808459]
Here's a fun little trick. Watch a news story about something you are familiar with. THen realize they get everything just as wrong or incomplete.[/QUOTE]

I'm a skydiver. About 50% of the time when someone gets hurt at a dropzone, the news van gets there before the ambulance... not joking.

Watched way too many news stories about way too many incidents, and almost always am appalled at the result... always sensationalized, usually not even factual.

What bugs me is most people still believe the news story over me in those instances.... "but the news said..." DUDE... IT HAPPENED 10 FEET FROM ME! "yeah, but the news said... but, but..."

Angelina Kelly 07-10-2010 05:42 AM

[QUOTE=Jared Ashley;809049]I'm a skydiver. About 50% of the time when someone gets hurt at a dropzone, the news van gets there before the ambulance... not joking.

Watched way too many news stories about way too many incidents, and almost always am appalled at the result... always sensationalized, usually not even factual.

What bugs me is most people still believe the news story over me in those instances.... "but the news said..." DUDE... IT HAPPENED 10 FEET FROM ME! "yeah, but the news said... but, but..."[/QUOTE]

My Fox news story is that we used to have a TV at work that played the news and people would watch at lunch. Well it was 99% of the time turned to Fox news. The Fox news anchor was interviewing someone about an incident and actually told the person they were interviewing that they were wrong about the incident. The person ended up saying something like "I was there, I saw it, you weren't". I think at that point they went to commercial break or something. Before that point, I've never seen a news anchor say anything like that. I always thought they were supposed to be 'impartial' and all that.

Scott A Martin 07-10-2010 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=Jason R O'Dell;809025]I just feel we're short on hate and half-truths.[/QUOTE]

I have no interest in Glen Beck and do not watch his show, but I have to agree with Ned, in that this thread has been dominated by ad homimem attacks on Beck and his "university."

With that said, this thread really has no place on this forum, in my humble opinion.

Dimitri Dziabenko 07-11-2010 07:07 AM

[QUOTE=Scott A Martin;809273]I have no interest in Glen Beck and do not watch his show, but I have to agree with Ned, in that this thread has been dominated by ad homimem attacks on Beck and his "university."

With that said, this thread really has no place on this forum, in my humble opinion.[/QUOTE]

Actually an ad hominem argument is not always false, since character, conduct, and that person's motives can be entirely relevant to the issue (especially when that person himself makes millions through ad hominem arguments...).

That said, this thread should be closed.

Scott A Martin 07-11-2010 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=Dimitri Dziabenko;809439]Actually an ad hominem argument is not always false, since character, conduct, and that person's motives can be entirely relevant to the issue (especially when that person himself makes millions through ad hominem arguments...).

That said, this thread should be closed.[/QUOTE]

An ad hominem is never relevant to an argument. If a person is arguing with an appeal to their own authority, e.g. I assert that x happened and put forth my grand integrity as proof, then you may point out my long well known reputation for being a liar. However, that is only an attack on the source and not on the argument itself. It says maybe we shouldn't put so much faith in my claim. However, it does nothing whatsoever to disprove that x happened. See the Wikipedia entry for more info on this.

But I digress. What happened here isn't even an ad hominem. The OP didn't make an argument. He just posted an announcement about Beck and a bunch of people who dislike Beck saw this as an opportunity to unleash their vitriol toward him.

S.S. 07-11-2010 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=Scott A Martin;809508]An ad hominem is never relevant to an argument. If a person is arguing with an appeal to their own authority, e.g. I assert that x happened and put forth my grand integrity as proof, then you may point out my long well known reputation for being a liar. However, that is only an attack on the source and not on the argument itself. It says maybe we shouldn't put so much faith in my claim. However, it does nothing whatsoever to disprove that x happened. See the Wikipedia entry for more info on this.

But I digress. What happened here isn't even an ad hominem. The OP didn't make an argument. He just posted an announcement about Beck and a bunch of people who dislike Beck saw this as an opportunity to unleash their vitriol toward him.[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between ad hominem and questioning someone's credentials.

I am questioning how some guy who doesn't even have an academic degree can attempt to educate us in a "university." I'm not saying people who don't have degrees don't have things to teach, but on matters of academia? No.

Marcus Allen 07-11-2010 12:34 PM

Using Beck et al as anything other than entertainment is a mistake.

Antonio Roca 07-11-2010 12:44 PM

How about this against Beck and his university? Slightly better than an ad hominem.

1. An education ought to come from an unbiased source.
2. If an education comes from a biased source, it isn't rational to believe the source.
3. Glenn Beck is blatantly biased.
4. His university has three faculty members, who are also biased.
5. Therefore, it isn't rational to believe Glenn Beck or his faculty and you ought not get an education from them.

Of course, you could say everyone is biased, so why believe anyone? Why trust an education from another university? Well, other universities have the actual academia culture, which internalizes the costs of biased arguments and benefits of having unbiased arguments (ruined career for biased argument, money for research for good one). Much of what they teach is the result of this culture which seeks to mitigate (if not obliterate) bias. This requires many different individuals (each biased in their own way of course) for the whole process to work. Beck's university is too small for this to work.

Ned Ferguson 07-11-2010 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=Antonio Roca;809547]How about this against Beck and his university? Slightly better than an ad hominem.

1. An education ought to come from an unbiased source.
2. If an education comes from a biased source, it isn't rational to believe the source.
3. Glenn Beck is blatantly biased.
4. His university has three faculty members, who are also biased.
5. Therefore, it isn't rational to believe Glenn Beck or his faculty and you ought not get an education from them.

Of course, you could say everyone is biased, so why believe anyone? Why trust an education from another university? Well, other universities have the actual academia culture, which internalizes the costs of biased arguments and benefits of having unbiased arguments (ruined career for biased argument, money for research for good one). Much of what they teach is the result of this culture which seeks to mitigate (if not obliterate) bias. This requires many different individuals (each biased in their own way of course) for the whole process to work. Beck's university is too small for this to work.[/QUOTE]

If you think there is any such thing as an "unbiased education" then -- what can I say? -- you are woefully ignorant. A bias is simply a viewpoint, perspective, underlying philosophy. Every person and every institution has them.

Controlling purse strings with an institutional culture does not guarantee good results. In fact, it virtually guarantees corruption and the stifling of academic freedom.

Antonio Roca 07-11-2010 03:10 PM

First of all, I'm sorry I offended you so much that you felt the need to call me woefully ignorant. I thought a nice, well-formed argument would be something to your liking.

More importantly, science seems to do pretty well at making true statements. Sure, there is the occasional mistake, but for the most part a biased conclusion is weeded out very quickly. The same could be said for other disciplines I think, such as mathematics or history. Of course, a biased conclusion isn't necessarily false, but it is more likely to be false and is justified on the wrong grounds.

Also, I don't see how internalizing costs guarantees corruption - in fact, my example of science in academia is an explicit counterexample to your claim. But maybe I am misunderstanding, care to explain?

Ned Ferguson 07-11-2010 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=Shane Skowron;809543]There's a difference between ad hominem and questioning someone's credentials.

I am questioning how some guy who doesn't even have an academic degree can attempt to educate us in a "university." I'm not saying people who don't have degrees don't have things to teach, but on matters of academia? No.[/QUOTE]

Come now, Shane. When was the last time you criticized "McDonalds University?" You do know that Glenn Beck U does not purport to be an accredited university handing out degrees, right? Hyper-literalism makes for a weak argument.

Beck is not trying to teach "you" anything. He only invites students who want to submit to his teachings. This is in the great tradition of teachers though the ages. Somehow, in very recent history, we have come to the place where everything must be "state approved" and that "matters of academia" must be left to the "professionals." Thus, anything that falls under the umbrella of "academia" (as chosen by academics, of course) is off limits to the unwashed masses. We are to be told what to do, what to think, and what freedoms we are permitted by the elites. That so many people are blind to the evil consequence of this is disturbing indeed.

Antonio Roca 07-11-2010 03:50 PM

Ned,

You sound like you have a great distrust of academia. Is there a reason why?

Ned Ferguson 07-11-2010 04:48 PM

The irony is that this is the same tripe that Coach Glassman faces, as he has recounted numerous times. Where are Glassman's credentials? How dare he presume to define "fitness" and "health" -- slippery terms that doctorates have failed to pin down? How dare he begin a rival fitness method and proclaim its superiority? How dare Glassman purport to engage in science?

Glassman faces multiple assaults from those threatened by his effrontery. He regularly faces ad hominem attack. The educated elite and powerful fitness institutions seek to lobby the state (i.e. use force where they lose debate) to thwart the Crossfit movement as I write. If they can only succeed in requiring the requisite "licenses" and "credentials" (and imposing the right "standards") they will win the battle. This is a perfect example of the corrupt, institutional "bad" chasing out the good fruit of freedom.

Antonio Roca 07-11-2010 05:06 PM

[QUOTE=Ned Ferguson;809603]The irony is that this is the same tripe that Coach Glassman faces, as he has recounted numerous times. Where are Glassman's credentials? How dare he presume to define "fitness" and "health" -- slippery terms that doctorates have failed to pin down? How dare he begin a rival fitness method and proclaim its superiority? How dare Glassman purport to engage in science?

Glassman faces multiple assaults from those threatened by his effrontery. He regularly faces ad hominem attack. The educated elite and powerful fitness institutions seek to lobby the state (i.e. use force where they lose debate) to thwart the Crossfit movement as I write. If they can only succeed in requiring the requisite "licenses" and "credentials" they will win the battle. This is a perfect example of the corrupt, institutional "bad" chasing out the good fruit of freedom.[/QUOTE]

Ned,

Crossfit is becoming more popular (at least from what I see). It takes time, even years, for ideas to be accepted. I wouldn't say that the 'educated elite' are thwarting its popularity just yet. Actually, I've never read about an instance of the 'educated elite' lobbying the state specifically with an anti-Crossfit agenda. Like I said, Crossfit is becoming popular, most people don't know it exists. And if we're talking about the state, then what should we make of your claim given that several police, fire, and military institutions have adopted Crossfit as a program?

I think a better explanation may be that, from what I know, there isn't much research between whatever programs these 'powerful fitness institutions' adhere to and Crossfit. The wonderful thing is that if you truly believe the other people to be wrong, all you have to do is conduct some experiments and falsify their claims. Then give an argument for your position and send it all in to some journals. It will be peer reviewed, the results replicated elsewhere, and you'll be held in high praise.

You're making some vague references to the 'educated elite' and in this case the 'powerful fitness institutions'. Who are these people? I'm about to earn a degree, am I part of the educated elite? Are they elite because they're educated? Are you even referring to academia? I'm not sure you are because the whole point of academia is to have opposing views duke it out with peer reviewed discussion and research, and this doesn't seem relevant to the example you gave at all.

Jason R O'Dell 07-11-2010 07:40 PM

[QUOTE=Ned Ferguson;809582]
Beck is not trying to teach "you" anything. He only invites students who want to submit to his teachings.[/QUOTE]

You mean I too can learn to scream at people that disagree with me, make thinly veiled racist remarks and hate anyone that is of a different political affiliation than me? Where do I sign up!?

For the record I avoid all cable news networks. However, my parents are Fox News Zombies and I've seen Beck on several times while over there and I'm offended every time he opens his mouth.

Allen Tluczek 07-12-2010 06:37 AM

Wait- McDonalds has a university?

Someone in Subversive Marketing 101 must have come up with all the slogans on their bags. I stopped and picked up breakfast one day, and reading the bag was a little disturbing. I think one line said something like "Why do you NEED our burgers? Because they are made with 100% meat"

Need... hamburger...

Anyways, yeah, this is a joke and McDonalds University is a joke. I really don't care if people watch the show or not.

Also, what Antonio said.

Ned Ferguson 07-12-2010 07:15 AM

[QUOTE=Antonio Roca;809586]Ned,

You sound like you have a great distrust of academia. Is there a reason why?[/QUOTE]

To be as succinct as possible: statism.

"Everything Within the State, Nothing Outside the State."

Ned Ferguson 07-12-2010 07:23 AM

[QUOTE=Jason R O'Dell;809660]You mean I too can learn to scream at people that disagree with me, make thinly veiled racist remarks and hate anyone that is of a different political affiliation than me? Where do I sign up!?

For the record I avoid all cable news networks. However, my parents are Fox News Zombies and I've seen Beck on several times while over there and I'm offended every time he opens his mouth.[/QUOTE]

The screaming must be inside your head, because I've heard Beck quite a bit and I don't recall him screaming very much, if at all. He uses a chalkboard a lot and makes arguments. As for the "hate" and "racist" charges (Why did I know the latter was coming?), they themselves are rhetorical screams designed to shut down debate. All you have done is repeat the same charges over and over again with no specifics to offer whatsoever. You are guilty of that which you charge Beck.

S.S. 07-12-2010 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=Ned Ferguson;809790]To be as succinct as possible: statism.

"Everything Within the State, Nothing Outside the State."[/QUOTE]

What does this mean?

Dimitri Dziabenko 07-12-2010 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=Ned Ferguson;809582]

That so many people are blind to the evil consequence of this is disturbing indeed.

[/QUOTE]

I have known people in academia all my life, they are pretty much just people who like to think about whatever thing that interests them, write up their conclusions for others to read and review. Doesn't seem evil to me.

Can you be more specific? What are the people that go through academia not seeing or considering?

As for your Glassman example, if he were to start an Online University and have his HQ staff lecture people about Quantum Physics and Computational Biology, it would in fact be ridiculous.

He is however simply talking about lifting weights, running, etc..., and how these can be combined into an exercise program, something he, through his experience coaching, is perfectly well qualified to talk about.

That being said, if people pay the money to beck, good for him.