CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Light Headed on the Zone (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=77557)

Benjamin Conklin 09-05-2012 03:38 AM

Light Headed on the Zone

So I started doing a Zone diet (which is very hard here in AFG)

Im doing 5x2x5x2x5 For blocks.

Still if I stand up too fast I am getting light headed.

Im at about 195 down from 200 when i started. At 200 Im about 6% BF.

Im wondering if I need to up my intake? And if so where should I go from here?

Eric Montgomery 09-05-2012 05:27 AM

Re: Light Headed on the Zone

Why would you only be eating 19 blocks when you're 195lbs and 6% bodyfat unless you want your body to start breaking down muscle for fuel? You're probably lightheaded because you're not eating enough.

Benjamin Conklin 09-05-2012 07:02 AM

Well, I am going by the recommended Large male zone thingy. Assuming 19 is too low, where should I be?

Andrew N. Casey 09-05-2012 07:10 AM

[QUOTE=Benjamin Conklin;1091358]Well, I am going by the recommended Large male zone thingy. Assuming 19 is too low, where should I be?[/QUOTE]

if you are truly already 6% bodyfat (or really anything under 10%), then you have no more fat to lose. if i were you i would bump up to at least 25blocks, but you will likely even need more than that if you are active. go to 25, then if that isn't enough bump it up again. personally i see no reason for you to "zone" at all. put your protein where you need it and then forget about percent. from there up the fat or carbs to get the energy you need

John C Corona 09-05-2012 07:14 AM

[QUOTE=Benjamin Conklin;1091358]Well, I am going by the recommended Large male zone thingy. Assuming 19 is too low, where should I be?[/QUOTE]

Goals? Are you looking to gain weight? or just not be light headed?

I remember an article by John Welbourne on Talk To Me Johnny that mentioned eating in terms of 'pounds' of foods. This is if your goal is to be a power athlete. Small fistfull portions is the opposite of that.

Benjamin Conklin 09-05-2012 07:44 PM

I am just trying to maintain for the most part. I want to be better at Crossfit obviously, but I dont want get bigger or smaller either way.

Christopher G. Woods 09-05-2012 08:16 PM

Andrew is right; if you were 6% BF (which is about as low as you can get while maintaining healthy body function) at 200 lb., then your protein prescription is in the range of 170-190 grams a day. That would put you at somewhere in the 24-26 block range.

Benjamin Conklin 09-05-2012 08:45 PM

Ok, so i am relatively new to the Zone. I am still taking more protein, 19blocks normal with additional protein.

I am probably at 170-190 range.

But you guys are saying that I should go bring my other blocks up to par with the protein? I was kind of under the impression that I could get away with just adding protein.

Blair Robert Lowe 09-05-2012 10:31 PM

Not really, Benjamin because you still wouldn't be getting enough kCals in.

That's why you are light headed. You aren't eating enough food. Low blood sugar. You are basically eating enough for your body to survive if you were a coach potato.

Maybe look at Robb Wolf "Fat Zone/Athletic Zone."

Michael Gray 09-10-2012 05:04 AM

[QUOTE=Benjamin Conklin;1091324]Still if I stand up too fast I am getting light headed.... At 200 Im about 6% BF. [/QUOTE]

Much of the Zone Diet literature assumes you are normal. Cross fitters exercise way more than normal. Therefore, you should eat more than normal.

I created a Zone Diet Calculator to help figure this stuff out. Since I exercise more than normal, I've adjusted the calculator to include this variable.

[url]http://www.trackshoesforsprinters.com/BodyCalc.php[/url]

Enjoy, MTG :run: