CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39289)

John Jaeckel 02-03-2011 07:52 AM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

Run 1/4 mile
20 pushups
Front Squat
5x135, 3x155, 1x175
BP
5x135, 3x175, 3x205
15 OHS w/Oly bar
Rowing 300m ME

Jeff Metzger 02-03-2011 08:44 AM

Deb,

By FDU I assume you mean Fairleigh. Which campus? Is it a class you're taking?

And yes, I would be choosing either SS or Crossfit. My thinking is that I've really got to improve my strength. The on ramp I'm doing now is giving me some instruction in most of the lifts SS utilizes, so I could do that on my own at Black Bear or my son's house. Though I'd rather train with a group both for the motivation and form checking.

Get some rest and feel better.

Deb Weber 02-03-2011 09:15 AM

[QUOTE]
By FDU I assume you mean Fairleigh. Which campus? Is it a class you're taking?[/QUOTE]
Florham Park. No class. I lift with the Devils and whoever else lifts there, I'm not really sure on that.

Its like $35/mo. to use their gym, and if you need coaching (I do) they charge you a little more till you know what you're doing. You would learn form at FDU!! PM if you want my coach's contact.

And form, well, difficult to learn at CF GROUP b/c the premise is you use lighter weights and worse form – its expected as a result of fatiguing during a workout.

So for form on those lifts, I would say a coach is the way to go. Better off in the long run, I have 2 years of bad habits to break now, to get heavier lifts. Like I said, I would hire Pat or his wife for privates if he had the time but he doesn't right now.
HE IS A GREAT COACH (I REALLY appreciate how good he is now that we have some inexperienced coaches - they're good, don't get me wrong, but they don't yet have a feel for each athlete, nor cue the same way Pat would - Im spoiled here, because Pat/J9 been cueing me for 2 years!! knows my strengths/weaknesses well :D)

John Jaeckel 02-03-2011 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=Jeff Metzger;899341]Deb,

By FDU I assume you mean Fairleigh. Which campus? Is it a class you're taking?

And yes, I would be choosing either SS or Crossfit. My thinking is that I've really got to improve my strength. The on ramp I'm doing now is giving me some instruction in most of the lifts SS utilizes, so I could do that on my own at Black Bear or my son's house. Though I'd rather train with a group both for the motivation and form checking.

Get some rest and feel better.[/QUOTE]

Hey Jeff,

Just my .02

There are a few really good protocols to follow for strength, SS being one of them.

One that I would HIGHLY recommend is Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program. It is simple and if you work it hard enough, highly effective for relatively quick strength gains.

There's an e-book you can buy if you google it or you can just find the basic plan by googling it.

I would also recommend getting a coach for form, especially before or when you undertake a serious strength program. Heavy dead lifting and squats are not something you want to fool around with.

Jim Cordes 02-03-2011 09:51 AM

2/3 WOD

Jerk Balance 3-3-3

95-115(split jerk)-125(split jerk)
Not feeling hugely strong today, so I was satisfied with these numbers, but surprised there were so low as compared to my regular jerk.

Followed by:
400 M Run
20 Turkish Get Ups
400 M Run
20 Deadlifts (85% of 1RM)
400 M Run
20 Chest to Bar Pull Ups

19:31 at 30# TGU's and 255# D/L's and regular pull ups. Seems like I always say this, but this was a hard one! Started TGU's at 35#, but form was terrible, so went down to 30# and still struggled, especially with the left-handed ones. Similarly, 255# D/L's were really heavy! Had to do them one at a time from the very first one.

Just Claw and the girls this morning (Hogans/Luciano, Amber, Fanie, and JJ). Very fun!

The Claw

Deb Weber 02-03-2011 06:47 PM

[B]02.03.2011-Thursday

Weightlifting FDU[/B]
OMG what a day, still sick this am, got my period so my low back was already a misery. Ouchie!! And, I feel like I'm living in Alaska. An accident on every road I took, 46, 10, 287, 24.... I WAS LATE! So it was a quickie workout with Pete tonite....just as well, I pbly shouldve rested. Pete attacks my weaknesses and makes me fix them. Nick also does that, but Pete is touchy-feely and physically MAKE you do it right with just a bar if necessary. If my elbows are too far down, and not pointing in - he fixes it, physically!

All remedial & positional work! All fixing my form, poor guy (he asked me, did they TEACH you this at that place??!) haha no not really, but apparently every lift we do is not quite right. Its too confusing!

Im kinda leaning toward when in Rome (Crossfit clean/Oly clean. CF snatch/oly snatch. Otherwise Id have to scale all my weight way back to do it Oly correct at CF and be doing something diff from everyone else :()

Warmup:
Backsquat to Press Overhead to OHS w/bar
3x6
[B]
Cleans[/B]
1x7x20k
1x6x20k
1x6x25k
1x6x25k
[B]Front Squat[/B]
These sucked! Got better but need a lot of work; he was teaching me the correct arm/rack/back positions (putting his hands on me and PUTTING me there) and explaining gotta EXPLODE up from the bottom push thru heels. Slow is frowned upon.
1x6x20
1x7x20
1x8x22
1x7x22
[B]Liftoff to Below the Knee[/B]
2x6x22
3x6x32
[B]Press[/B]
These, he was trying to get my arms right and explaining I have to punch the weight up and back explosive as possible and tight tight tight, no softness in the arms at all.
3x10x15

That was it!!

John Burch 02-03-2011 08:07 PM

Snower Blower? JJ what are you talking about, old school here coal shovel works best!

missed a couple days with work and the snow, so I went in today on my normal rest day
WU
3x20 air squat
3x20 GHD backextension
Reverse Hypers
2x12@60
3x10@110
3x10@130
K2E 3x20

WOD AMRAP 8:00
20 35# KB snatch
max pushup
Total :shrug: just work

m/56/185

Cliff Miller 02-04-2011 08:43 AM

for those of you who got walloped by the snow storm out here on the west coast of canada some of the spring bulbs are starting to bloom and it was plus 6 c. yesterday. just saying....

tomorrow is going to be my 1st day back at the box for a regular workout day.

i stuggled the last week with some after surgery blues, being run down and sick and talking with my phyiso and another health care provider.

that i am going to need to except that i am never going to get 100% rom back that i will not be able to continue powerlifting due to some of the weights and the position the lifts put my shoulder in. i can not get proper form for the scarecrow and shoulder shrug.

that i quite possibly will not be able to rock climb because of having to reach overhead in weird positions. nor be able to mountain bike the way i used to due to the constant movement the bumps on the trials create for the back part of my shoulder.

that being said i talked to the owner of the gym last nite for an hour or so and i left there feeling 110% better than i did prior to the talk.

unbeknownst to me jessie (gym owner) had a buddy of mine make a zurker squat rack which he just finished last nite, ordered a saftey squat bar. both things that will make my time at the gym so much better. blew me away that he took that upon his self to do that for me.

we spoke at length about my feeling like a "special needs" client for the forseeable future in that there will be quite possibly a bunch of the wod's that i will be unable to do and that i did not want to be a burden to them or the rest of the gym.

we left it with jessie saying "if you are willing to do the work and put in the time to your recovery i am willing to do whatever it will take on our part to make that happen." i could have not asked for a better ending to what i thought prior to starting the conversation was going to end with me leaving the gym.

also prior to this conversation i did not know jessie lost 2 years to a major shoulder injury, surgery and rehab. the professionals told him that he would not be able to ever do a bunch of things again. he proved them wrong and i guess it is now up to me to prove them wrong as well.

so one more day off due to a previous commitment and then signed in for the 9 a.m. class saturday morning.

Deb Weber 02-04-2011 05:27 PM

:)Nice [B]Cliff[/B], that's great! (thats Crossfit for ya!)

[B]02.04.2011-Friday[/B]
Warmup: row 500, hip mobility shoulder mobility & stretch, squats, sn grip backsquat to press to OHS hold.....

[B]WOD (choice):[/B]
Complete as many reps as possible of:
4:00 of wall balls
3:00 of kettlebell swings - 32kg (24kg)
2:00 of back squats - 95# (65#)
1:00 of clean to overhead - 95# (65#)

[B]ShedKicker:[/B]
12-9-6-3:
squat snatch 95/65#
muscle-up (L-pull-up)

[B]Shedkicker 14:x7 I think 47?? modified[/B]
It was no big deal. I scaled to 45#, did these slowly resetting on each one - but I hit every one low, pain in the a$$, literally, getting up from the last of the first and second sets. No misses, had two or three bad catches that were a little forward but saved them. I thought I looked pretty good, considering two weeks ago when Pat first taught me, plus only practicing off the blocks at FDU! Still struggling with the flexibility issue low back and shoulders (I know @ FDU Id be told to get even more vertical; and they would tell me, now do it fast) but happy with this, def. getting better and stronger out of the bottom. L pullups need work the first few of all sets were fine. Became singles quickly, barely making them.

Pat Quigley 02-04-2011 05:57 PM

Even here in AZ we got hit w. some cold weather. My backyard fountain froze over two nights ago and is still frozen. Just hoping the lines did not crack!

Wendler Wave 1, round 4: Deadlift: 5X295, 340, 385.

3RFT: 15-12-9

135#thruster and 45# weighted pull ups.

Scale: Thrusters w. 2 X 45# db's. 5:46..