CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Let's revamp the CF Warmup (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=31296)

Michael Bell 05-04-2008 07:36 PM

Let's revamp the CF Warmup

In my opinion, a good warmup is essential to having a good workout. I am fairly new to CF, but the official CFWU doesn't seem to be very good. I am pretty sure that few people actually do it before the WOD:

The "official" CrossFit Warm-up is in the April 2003 CrossFit Journal.

3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
Overhead Squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back-extension
Pull-up
Dip
Note that for a workout that's dip or pullup-centric, you might want to do something else in the warmup.

This is almost a workout in itself (especially doing 30+ pullups). I think if you put "3 rounds for time of..." that this could be a WOD. I think, since CF has been around for quite some time, that we should revamp the warmup to make it more accessible and relevant to all Xfitters for everyday use.

My proposal is straightforward, focusing on dynamic stretching principles while getting your core body temperature up. With this I haven't tired myself out before I even get started.

Mike's unofficial CFWU:

1/2 mile jog
Trace circles in the air with arms - 10 small, 10 full range of motion, both arms
Stretch quads and hamstrings - dynamic stretches
5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats (i.e. 1 round of Cindy)
Stretch groin, calves - dynamic stretches
5-10 Dips
2 samson stretches, 1 for each leg

Let me know what you think... or post something better, I think it's time to revamp the warmup!

Douglas Smith 05-04-2008 07:45 PM

Re: Let's revamp the CF Warmup

Hey Mike I would nix the jog and add more stretching. However stretching before the workout is really all I do. Usually works out pretty good for me.

Christian Gotcher 05-04-2008 07:50 PM

I think a significant part of the point is that it's not for time, allowing you to scale it as you want by taking your time with it. Albany Crossfit scales with assistance bands and variants for those who can't complete the warmup as RX'ed, and it works the full range of motion. To top all that off, I find that I usually underestimate the full extent of a warmup- it should get you hot (ie: warmup), maybe even a little sweaty, a little loose, and I feel the CFWU does that for me. (BTW: I do it most of the time before my workouts, or some variant thereof since I sometimes don't have the equipment or forget one of the elements)

That being said, to each their own. It gets boring for some, and rowing, running, jumping jacks, shadowboxing, monkey bars, and a million other exercises all have a solid claim for being excellent warmup components.

Crossfit is flexible enough that I don't think changing the 'official' warm-up would change the community too much. I think, rather, that if a huge cross-section of affiliates starting doing an alternate warm-up, the official one would and should change to match both to keep some degree of uniformity in the Crossfit name and to encourage a sense of community (fitting, considering the rest day article today).

Oliver Gould 05-04-2008 08:00 PM

Being that you're fairly new at CF, why don't you try the actual CF warmup for a while before you decide to mess with it.

Ideally the warmup gets me past that initial impact of high intensity exercise so that it isn't a shock to my system ten reps into the WOD. It's supposed to be a little taxing. I don't do exactly the CF warmup every time but a minimum of an 800m run, 3 rounds of Cindy at pace, 30+ OHS, shoulder rolls, good mornings and shoulder press are expected, plus some skill work and ten reps of whatever weak point I'm working on at the moment.

The CF warmup would be a disappointing WOD at best if it was done for time.

Shane Skowron 05-04-2008 08:03 PM

I wonder how many people actually do the CFWU as rx'd before each WOD; my guess is that it's not in the majority. I don't do it.

I second the idea for 1 round of Cindy. I don't do situps; they don't really help me to loosen up much. I like to do a bunch of HSPU's, a couple muscle ups, some pushups and pullups, a few slow squats, and a Samson stretch. It helps me to break a light sweat and loosen up some critical areas.

I think the WU can be adapted to suit your individual needs; Greg A's WU is pretty different than the CFWU, and I like his better.

Kevin Perry 05-04-2008 08:04 PM

The CFWU is not meant to be a workout it's just that. A warm-up and it's used by Crossfit for a reason. Because it obviously works for those who wan't to do CF exclusively as RX'd.

Steven Low 05-04-2008 08:11 PM

Yawn. Do what you want for warmup. Working on weaknesses is always a good idea.

As long as it gets your blood flowing and your muscles warm it's fine.

Jason Staples 05-04-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 304652)
Yawn. Do what you want for warmup. Working on weaknesses is always a good idea.

As long as it gets your blood flowing and your muscles warm it's fine.

Ditto.

Jon Knutsen 05-05-2008 01:16 AM

Before you propose to change the CrossFit warm-up, make sure you understand what it's meant to accomplish. As taught at the cert seminars, a proper warm-up should accomplish the following:

1) Increase body temperature and heart rate
2) Provide some stretching
3) Stimulate the entire body and major biomechanical functions (read below)
4) Provide practice for basic movements
5) Prepare you for rigorous athletic training

When I first started CrossFit I thought that the warm-up was just a collection of exercises that (like anything) would get me warmed up if I performed enough reps. I later realized that the movements aren't simply pulled from a hat. They're based on the major biomechanical movments (hip flexor extension & flexion, trunk extension & flexion, upper body push & pull). There are lots of other ways to accomplish the above stated goals but the mainstream concepts for a warm-up are usually inadequate.

As I preach to the HS track athletes I coach, the shorter the event, the more thorough the warm-up needs to be. I know it's common for people to complain about the CF warm-up being too hard or too long, but if it weren't for the tough warm-ups we couldn't make shirts that say, "Our warm-up is tougher than your workout." Seriously though, after 3-2-1 go, you're hitting the workout at full speed. In my opinion, you should be breaking a sweat after the warm-up. If you need to catch your breath (and even if you don't) giving yourself a short period of time between the warm-up and workout to work on a particular skill is always a good idea. Once you feel warmed up and fresh, let the work begin.

Randy Tarasevich 05-05-2008 02:59 AM

This thread is beat. :puke0000: