CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Overhead Squats (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50560)

Brian Krygowski 08-28-2009 12:14 PM

Overhead Squats

Tried doing the WOD today and I couldn't even get more than the bar barely.

I run into the problem when I squat my arms seem to move forward and I just can't keep them. I remember reading somewhere that this was due to maybe tight shoulders or something... any help.

Also, what is the remedy for whatever it is, so next time they come up I can do them.

Veronica Carpenter 08-28-2009 12:18 PM

Re: Overhead Squats

without seeing a vid, I'd say widen your grip, ideally the bar should be 6-12 above your head. The wider you go the easier it will be to do the full movement. And address any flexibility issues as well.

Brian Krygowski 08-28-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter (Post 653915)
without seeing a vid, I'd say widen your grip, ideally the bar should be 6-12 above your head. The wider you go the easier it will be to do the full movement. And address any flexibility issues as well.

ahh yeah, my grip is straight up, maybe a few inches wider...

I can easily see from your avatar probably how I should be doing it. Tomorrow when I hit the garage, my gym is there, I'll try a few of them to see the difference.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 08-28-2009 12:44 PM

Yeah, with a very narrow grip (like for a shoulder press) its a physical impossibility for most people to do a OHS without the bar going forward.

Joshua Refenes 08-28-2009 12:53 PM

I would add shoulder flexibility along with the proper grip (as mentioned above).

When I first started I really struggled a lot with Overhead Squats, along with doing consecutive kipping pull-ups as well. I discovered that not only was it familiarity with the form that held me back, but also shoulder flexibility.

Every day after our warmup, I'll grab a small section of rope and do shoulder dislocation streches. I keep working to try and get my grip on the rope closer and closer together. I've seen a bit of improvement in the strech, which has also led to a big improvement in my kipping pull-ups and overhead squat.

Eric R Cohen 08-28-2009 07:47 PM

Also, when doing OHS, keep your shoulders tight...ie try to "push your shoulders up to your ears".

Jason David 08-28-2009 08:01 PM

you may also have an 'immature' squat. If you can't keep your chest up in an air squat you won't be able to do an overhead squat.

Yahya Kohgadai 08-28-2009 09:33 PM

You may also need to work on your lumbar curve [arching of the lower back]. When you've got the lumbar curve, it goes hand in hand w/your chest puffing out and your arms pulling back.

If your lower back is rounding at all, it'll be pretty much impossible to have the bar in the right position.

Peter Williams 09-01-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Krygowski (Post 653910)
Tried doing the WOD today and I couldn't even get more than the bar barely.

I run into the problem when I squat my arms seem to move forward and I just can't keep them. I remember reading somewhere that this was due to maybe tight shoulders or something... any help.

Also, what is the remedy for whatever it is, so next time they come up I can do them.

The other tips are all good ones - try one other thing too once you've gotten the others - as you grip the bar (wide), try to press your hands and arms out to the side without letting go of the bar - i.e. just have an outward pressure with your hands.

That was the final piece for me, but the most important keys are the wide grip and active shoulders ("shoulders to ears"), as well as good basic squat form.

Carlos Cristan 09-01-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason David (Post 654163)
you may also have an 'immature' squat. If you can't keep your chest up in an air squat you won't be able to do an overhead squat.

I agree. Any dificiency in your air squat will be magnified in more technical, difficult lifts. So if your having to cantilever forward to maintain balance during your basic air squat to keep your heels on the ground might cause this problem with your overhead squat.