CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Bob Sorensen 02-20-2009 09:33 AM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

Steve, thanks for posting the article on "Intensity". Was that the entirety of the article or is there more? And given that information, where can I find time range goals for various WOD's? do you know where I might find more info about applying this to my training?

Carter Jee 02-20-2009 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=Bob Sorensen;522958]Steve, thanks for posting the article on "Intensity". Was that the entirety of the article or is there more? And given that information, where can I find time range goals for various WOD's? do you know where I might find more info about applying this to my training?[/QUOTE]

gday bob!

steve, it was a great idea to post the article on your log to get more exposure... i was thinking of starting a thread on the exercise forum for even more exposure...

freddy camacho from crossfit one world was the one who wrote the article... check out his gym's website (mostly w/f/s), crossfitoneworld.com

he does post time goals for WODs, but he does his own programming separate from mainsite.

what you could do if you want to follow the mainsite WOD, is the do it 7 days behind. that way you could see what times most crossfitters are posting up, and scale accordingly to your ability to get the time. it will take some planning on your part. be honest with yourself tho!! don't overestimate or underestimate your ability...

carter

Bob Sorensen 02-20-2009 05:11 PM

G'day Carter and thanks for your help. I should mention that I'm kind of scared about intensity since last fall my blood pressure went through the roof,, like to where at first my doc said lie down till I tell you to get up. after meds I'm cleared for normal actvities. At present I'm doing the CFWU as a workout. taking approx 10 mins today, after stretching some and loosening up. using 10 reps per set except for pullups, which today I managed 5,5,5 jumping ones. Anyway thanks again and if ya have anymore advice ya can find my log Bob's return to fitness log.

Stephen R. Lampl 02-20-2009 09:16 PM

[quote=Bob Sorensen;522958]Steve, thanks for posting the article on "Intensity". Was that the entirety of the article or is there more? And given that information, where can I find time range goals for various WOD's? do you know where I might find more info about applying this to my training?[/quote]

[quote=Carter Jee;523275]gday bob!

steve, it was a great idea to post the article on your log to get more exposure... i was thinking of starting a thread on the exercise forum for even more exposure...

freddy camacho from CrossFit one world was the one who wrote the article... check out his gym's website (mostly w/f/s), CrossFitoneworld.com

he does post time goals for WODs, but he does his own programming separate from mainsite.

what you could do if you want to follow the mainsite WOD, is the do it 7 days behind. that way you could see what times most CrossFitters are posting up, and scale accordingly to your ability to get the time. it will take some planning on your part. be honest with yourself tho!! don't overestimate or underestimate your ability...

carter[/quote]

Greetings to both of you, Bob and Carter!

I was going to suggest visiting the CrossFit Journal (Linked to the Main Page) and entering "Intensity" or "power output" in the search field. There are a number of articles I have run across on that subject - - I just didn't put two and two together. Funny how it took me slogging through "Fran" to finally "get it!"

Bob, the CFWU can be a real workout - - you can push yourself and get pretty winded if you want. The warmups which I've done at a couple of the affiliates I've visited [I][B]were[/B][/I] workouts for me.....but that's good - - meant I was plenty warmed up when I started the actual WOD, so it was easier to prevent injury.

Take advantage of scaling any workout you do to both your ability and to the level where you are certain of avoiding injury. Try to keep up the intensity (lessen the weight from that prescribed, as necessary) and drop the time it takes to do the work. Your power output over the work period will be higher.

Take care!

Stephen R. Lampl 02-20-2009 09:32 PM

[I][B]FRIDAY 090220

REST DAY................................................Naw....couldn't knock off completely.

Warm-up:
Stationary Cycling: [/B]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.6 mi / HR 104
[B]Shoulder Dislocates
Body Circles
Arm circles
Trunk Rotations
Lat pull-downs 55# X 25
Stretching - particularly R/Achilles: [/B]Approx. 10:00

[B]WOD (from Main Page 090218)
[/B][/I][I]With a continuously running clock do one pull-up the first minute, two pull-ups the second minute, three pull-ups the third minute... continuing as long as you are able.[/I]
[I]Use as many sets each minute as needed.[/I]
[I]Post number of minutes completed to comments.[/I]
[I][B]Got 10:00 (10 rounds plus 9 pull-ups in 11th minute). [/B]I could not, for the life of me, get the other two pull-ups in the 30+ seconds I had left.....musta "hit the wall." [B]BLEH![/B][/I]
[I][B]
Short WO today - - took hunny to PT...
[/B][/I]

Charles Bennington 02-20-2009 10:19 PM

Your progress as a complete CrossFitter as a whole is so awesome to me Steve. I can't imagine what a beast you would have been if you hit this stuff in your 20s. Keep it up.

Stephen R. Lampl 02-20-2009 11:53 PM

[quote=Charles Bennington;523542]Your progress as a complete CrossFitter as a whole is so awesome to me Steve. I can't imagine what a beast you would have been if you hit this stuff in your 20s. Keep it up.[/quote]

Gosh Chuck,

What a wonderful complement! No worries - - I am soooooo hooked, I can see myself doing this into my 80s or more. In a class right now with a 64 year old gal (just had double knee replacements). She'd never heard of CrossFit and her Masters Swimming coach talked her into taking the class. Needless to say, she is hooked too and doing stuff she'd never imagined, though it is scaled to her ability.

It's guys like you though, who continue to inspire me. I see you hoisting unbelievable weights and doing great gymnastic stuff and I say, gee, I [I][B]can[/B][/I] do that! It'll take time and I probably won't reach those levels, but I can push myself to the best of my abilities.

Thank you!

Keith Walker 02-21-2009 04:51 AM

[QUOTE=Charles Bennington;523542]Your progress as a complete CrossFitter as a whole is so awesome to me Steve. I can't imagine what a beast you would have been if you hit this stuff in your 20s. Keep it up.[/QUOTE]

:yeahthat:

the death by pu's was awesome Steve! I am so proud of you--YOU inspire me!! Great work!

Kevin Hughes 02-21-2009 09:42 AM

Steve...I've been reading your posts since you started and I have to tell you how impressed I am. Weren't you a charter member of the Dead Hang Pull-up Society? And now you're cranking out more than 50 in a WOD.

I told someone recently that we'd all like to have a little Steve Lampl in us. You're lucky; you've got it in spades! Keep up the great work!

Stephen R. Lampl 02-21-2009 08:22 PM

[quote=Keith Walker;523601]:yeahthat:

the death by pu's was awesome Steve! I am so proud of you--YOU inspire me!! Great work![/quote]

Thanks, Keith. Can't sing, can't dance, so I'm glad something's finally coming together!