CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Gordon Cooke 08-31-2009 02:19 AM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

Congrats and good luck on the new job Steve. It may take a while to adjust your workouts around the new job, but you should adapt fairly easily. I always have found a certain amount of stress with a new job until you get used to the new workload, surroundings, coworkers, etc., but the good news is that working out should make the stress easier to deal with.

Helen Lawson 08-31-2009 11:11 AM

Hey Steve. Just stopped by to check in. As usually you've been doing a ton of work lately! Way to keep at it!

I have to say that I was a little disappointed to hear you are taking a full time job. I was really hoping for you to do more training. I hope you stick with Crossfit for yourself and training others. You are such an inspiration to others that it would be shame for you to give it up!

Good luck with the new job! Enjoy! Hey...maybe starbucks might be a great place to pick up some new trainees! :)

Nancy Cohen 08-31-2009 11:19 AM

:yeahthat:

Stephen R. Lampl 08-31-2009 06:28 PM

[quote=Gordon Cooke;655101]Congrats and good luck on the new job Steve. It may take a while to adjust your workouts around the new job, but you should adapt fairly easily. I always have found a certain amount of stress with a new job until you get used to the new workload, surroundings, coworkers, etc., but the good news is that working out should make the stress easier to deal with.[/quote]

Thanks, Gordon! Workout this morning at 6:00 a.m. went well - - it was just too short; I have about an hour commute to the training site. When the first phase of training is over, things will be a little less hectic.

[quote=Helen Lawson;655315]Hey Steve. Just stopped by to check in. As usually you've been doing a ton of work lately! Way to keep at it!

I have to say that I was a little disappointed to hear you are taking a full time job. I was really hoping for you to do more training. I hope you stick with Crossfit for yourself and training others. You are such an inspiration to others that it would be shame for you to give it up!

Good luck with the new job! Enjoy! Hey...maybe starbucks might be a great place to pick up some new trainees! :)[/quote]

Helen,

Thanks for stopping by! I was originally going to be working part-time as a retired annuitant, but both agencies who wanted to hire me lost their funding.....Starbucks is GREAT - - I'm having a blast. Don't worry - - I have no plans to give up CF and will hopefully still do some training when my schedule is set.

[quote=Nancy Cohen;655324]:yeahthat:[/quote]

Thanks, Nancy!

Stephen R. Lampl 08-31-2009 06:34 PM

[I][B]090831 MONDAY

[/B]Started new job today - - workout prior to the job was fast a furious.....

[B]Warm-up: Walking/Running intervals: [/B][/I]10:00
Walked 5:00 minutes in increasing speeds to 4.0 MPH
Ran intervals at 30 seconds, with 30 second rests between to 7.0 MPH.
Walked at 4.0 MPH for last minute.

[I][B]CFWU - Modified.

WOD: Metcon -- For Time:
[/B][/I][B]21 - 15 - 9 of
Dumbbell Swings 55#
Pull-ups
[U]Push-ups[/U]
TIME = 7:03 [/B][I]
Db swings all un-broken. Much more difficult than I thought it would be.
[/I]

Stephen R. Lampl 09-01-2009 10:15 PM

[I][B]090901 TUESDAY

[/B]Another rushed workout -- not used to doing this so early in the morning and then driving an hour commute to work......
[B]
Warm-up: Jump rope work.
[/B][/I][B]500 singles (100 X 5)
100 singles (20 X 5) [/B]jumping as high as possible on each rep
[B]5:00 DU work. [/B]Lots of single DUs, chained two together twice....

[I][B]CFWU - modified.[/B][/I]

[I][B]Skill Work: OHS
[/B][/I][B]PVC X 10, 30# X 5, 45# X 5. [/B][I]These felt the best that I can remember. The reps at 45# all felt like they had solid form and I was able to keep my weight on my heels for all five reps for the first time![/I]

[I][B]WOD: Weighted Pull-ups 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.
[/B][/I][B]10#, 15#, 20#, 25#, [COLOR=Red]30# (PR)[COLOR=Black], 35# F (not high enough), 35# F, (30# F).
Max reps at 15# = 3.
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]

Marianne Urbanski 09-02-2009 02:22 AM

Steve:
Great job fitting in workouts whenever you can.. I hear you on going to the gym at 0-dark-thirty.. That is when I go. :( It gets better once you get into a routine--as long as you get to bed early enough!! that is the hard part. One thing I love about CF is that you can really get a great workout in with very little time. I frequently spend more time on the warm up and setup/clean up than the work out itself... Gotta love Crossfit!:notworth:

DU are going along well.. I wish I could just get ONE again!! :yikes:

Will you be having time to do any more CF training with this full time job? An hour commute? Will it be that long when training is over?

I LOVE "nonfat grande latte" at starbucks.... YUM!!

Gordon Cooke 09-02-2009 02:36 AM

Steve, I actually miss the AM workouts, believe it or not. The reason I switched to evening workouts was that I had a hard time getting to sleep early enough in the evening to get a good night's rest. Also, I don't like being rushed in a workout, but morning workouts are the best overall. I also noticed my metabolism was a lot higher during the day and I could get away with eating much more food when doing early morning workouts. You have to do what works for you though. Great job on the workouts.

Stephen R. Lampl 09-02-2009 10:23 PM

[quote=Marianne Urbanski;656352]Steve:
Great job fitting in workouts whenever you can.. I hear you on going to the gym at 0-dark-thirty.. That is when I go. :( It gets better once you get into a routine--as long as you get to bed early enough!! that is the hard part. One thing I love about CF is that you can really get a great workout in with very little time. I frequently spend more time on the warm up and setup/clean up than the work out itself... Gotta love Crossfit!:notworth:

DU are going along well.. I wish I could just get ONE again!! :yikes:

Will you be having time to do any more CF training with this full time job? An hour commute? Will it be that long when training is over?

I LOVE "nonfat grande latte" at starbucks.... YUM!![/quote]

Marianne,

Thanks for the great encouragement! I have always been a morning person and can still sleep anywhere, anytime, so shift work isn't a problem. My workouts have always tended to be pretty poor early-on in the day though. I'll adapt......I hope to eventually do more CF training at our local CF box. We're working on moving out of a garage gym setting. The affiliate owner and the other two trainers are all EMS/Fire guys, so knowing when someone is free to lead a class or WOD is a day to day thing.

One Grande Non-fat Latte coming up........except it'll be awful cold and stale by the time it gets there....:D:D

[quote=Gordon Cooke;656358]Steve, I actually miss the AM workouts, believe it or not. The reason I switched to evening workouts was that I had a hard time getting to sleep early enough in the evening to get a good night's rest. Also, I don't like being rushed in a workout, but morning workouts are the best overall. I also noticed my metabolism was a lot higher during the day and I could get away with eating much more food when doing early morning workouts. You have to do what works for you though. Great job on the workouts.[/quote]

Gordon,

Right you are on the metabolism. A.M. workouts really prime the body to operate more efficiently throughout the day. I [I][B]hate[/B][/I] being rushed also - - to take advantage of a quality workout and get in a little skill/strength work along with a WOD after a good warmup takes me about an hour and a half.

Thanks (about the workouts).

Stephen R. Lampl 09-02-2009 10:24 PM

[I][B]090902 WEDNESDAY

REST DAY. [/B]Glad I took one today - - got a good workout at work today!
[/I]