CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A gallon of milk? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=23633)

John Edmondson 11-12-2007 01:56 PM

A gallon of milk?

I saw something on comments about Brendan Gilliam gaining 28 pounds in a month and a half drinking a gallon of milk a day on top of his regular Zone diet. I know Rippetoe advocates this approach with younger athletes in Starting Strength, but I've never actually heard of anyone trying it. Does anyone have experience with this? Thoughts?

Brian Cornwell 11-12-2007 02:01 PM

Re: A gallon of milk?

Yeah, someone said there was a video about it, but no one posted a link and I couldn't see anything that looked like it. I am very curious about this as well, that's remarkable progress. I also wonder if he kept training only with WODs or if he did summplemental lifting. ANyone have any insight?

Gant Grimes 11-12-2007 02:12 PM

I first heard of this in the mid-80s, when my friend's older (skinny-***) brother started training at Rip's gym. It worked for him, and it has worked for hundreds since.

I don't do it because I'm as large as I want to be. I also don't drink any calories (other than protein shakes). But if I wanted to gain in a hurry, this would be the route I'd take.

Kevin Roddy 11-12-2007 02:13 PM

I'm lactose intolerant. Attempting something like that would be near-deadly (yet hilarious).

However, if you're not, I have known of many guys who have tried similar approaches with good results. It's just a simple way of making you take in more calories.

Sean Dunston 11-12-2007 02:29 PM

Would this work on "1%" milk, or do you need to go with that sludge known as "WHOLE" milk? It has probably been over 30 years since I have had anything greater than 2% milk, and I have been drinking 1% for about the past 15 years.

Brandon Oto 11-12-2007 02:44 PM

This is not some wacky new paradigm; "squats and milk!" is a formula about as old as muscles.

I think you'd do fine with skim milk and added fat.

Spencer Provow 11-12-2007 03:39 PM

i would meet pukie in a whole new way if i tried this

Patrick Donnelly 11-12-2007 03:42 PM

Note that your body can only build so much muscle in any one week, no matter how many calories and rest you give it. The excess calories all go to fat.

Nick Cruz 11-12-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Roddy (Post 214806)
I'm lactose intolerant. Attempting something like that would be near-deadly (yet hilarious).

However, if you're not, I have known of many guys who have tried similar approaches with good results. It's just a simple way of making you take in more calories.

Kevin,

Have you tried Raw milk yet? The Lactate present in the Raw milk allows alot of lactose intolerant folks to drink milk. I am trying to convince my lactose intolerant wife to let me experiment with her and raw milk so I can see for myself. No dice so far, however.

Stefan Geertsen 11-12-2007 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly (Post 214856)
Note that your body can only build so much muscle in any one week, no matter how many calories and rest you give it. The excess calories all go to fat.

Yup. I heard something like we can gain a maximum of 2lbs(muscle) per month if we do everything correctly.