CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   CFE Swim vs run vs row vs bike (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63315)

Michael Zoda 12-01-2010 09:57 PM

CFE Swim vs run vs row vs bike

Hey guys I've been lurking the CFE site for the past few days. Ive read through the FAQ but I still have some questions. I've always leaned towards strength, but Ive been doing some rock climbing lately and for some reason i'm really sparking interest in the endurance stuff.

First off for the CFE wods, how do you choose between Running/Rowing/Biking/Swimming. Obviously if your training for a particular race you would do the sport that lines up with your race, but what if your not training for a race at the moment.

Second question:

Overall it seems like your not supposed to follow whats comes up on the CFE main page everyday. The CFE workouts follow a 3 on 1 off scheme but the FAQ only says to do 3 CFE workouts per week. Does this mean do the S+C 3 on 1 off (i might do 2 on 1 off 3 on 1 off) and just pick three of the CFE workouts for the week? Why do they post a CFE workout in the 3:1 scheme?

Im not starting the program for awhile. Sitting on a messed up SI joint at the moment.

S.S. 12-01-2010 10:43 PM

Re: CFE Swim vs run vs row vs bike

[QUOTE=Michael Zoda;874198]First off for the CFE wods, how do you choose between Running/Rowing/Biking/Swimming. Obviously if your training for a particular race you would do the sport that lines up with your race, but what if your not training for a race at the moment.
[/quote]

Just pick whatever's most important to you...

[QUOTE=Michael Zoda;874198]
Second question:

Overall it seems like your not supposed to follow whats comes up on the CFE main page everyday. The CFE workouts follow a 3 on 1 off scheme but the FAQ only says to do 3 CFE workouts per week. Does this mean do the S+C 3 on 1 off (i might do 2 on 1 off 3 on 1 off) and just pick three of the CFE workouts for the week? Why do they post a CFE workout in the 3:1 scheme?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you do the S+C thing 3 on 1 off and then pick 3 of the CFE workouts and do those in addition, spaced out evenly throughout the week.

But I would check on their forums to be sure.

I don't think there is much magic behind the 3:1 scheme so just do whatever allows you to progress.

Ted Apollo 12-01-2010 11:04 PM

what shane said...

and i think the main concept is to do two 'shorter' interval training days (ladders, tabata, sprints, etc...) & one longer workout a week. i wouldn't recommend doing any more then that right now to avoid overuse injuries which is a good reason to switch up between all four disciplines (running, biking, rowing, & swimming).

Carl Amolat 12-01-2010 11:33 PM

To weigh in on this topic I'm curious if switching one discipline per week is a smart idea for even experienced athletes. Specializing in swimming one week and running the next and biking a third seems like a smart idea.