CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Peanut Butter and Jelly (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=69009)

Dave Traeger 07-27-2011 05:39 AM

Peanut Butter and Jelly

... or jam as we call it in Aus.

In a recent video on the CF Journal, Froning was eating this stuff with a spoon from a pre-mixed tub.

I like both of those ingredients but can't stand them mixed together. Looks like he loves it.

I'm curious what you guys think the nutritional reasoning this is. Neither of the foods are paleo. Under a zone prescription it might be a block of carbs and a block of fat but no protein so presumably he doesn't zone, either. Though it did look like he was downing a few cups of milk as well?

Under what nutritional plan / diet does this food suit an athlete under a month from competition?

Mark E. Wallace 07-27-2011 05:55 AM

Re: Peanut Butter and Jelly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Traeger (Post 965688)
Under what nutritional plan / diet does this food suit an athlete under a month from competition?

Probably the "I work out so damned much and so damned hard that I need every single calorie I can get" diet.

It's the same one that Michael Phelps is on. :D

- Mark

Matthew Swartz 07-27-2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace (Post 965697)
Probably the "I work out so damned much and so damned hard that I need every single calorie I can get" diet.

- Mark

:yeahthat:

Rich used to eat fast food supposedly on the reg going into the 2010 games. I don't think he cares too much about zone or paleo.

Zane Jones 07-27-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

- Mark

Also known as the "nom nom" diet.

Dave Hancock 07-27-2011 07:37 AM

I don't zone so could you explain why you said there is no protein in peanut butter & jelley?

Of the peanut butters I've read labels of, they all had about the same amount of carbs and protein.

Adam Spang 07-27-2011 07:41 AM

After watching that piece on Froning I have to admit that I gave it a shot. I mixed up some of that "all-natural" smooth peanut butter (ingredients are listed as peanuts and salt), and "reduced sugar" jelly in a tupperwear container and stuck it in the fridge.

Now, I'm not sure that it is the most healthy thing to do, but when you are just in your house and need some flavor in your mouth to kill a craving, a couple small spoons of this does the trick.... just don't sit with it in front of the TV or it will disppear before you know it.

Small bites is key, I've been eating AT MOST a tbsp whenever I open the container....

Rebecca Roth 07-27-2011 08:51 AM

My Pre WO for a long time was almond butter with berries stirred in, personally I'll take that over jelly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Traeger (Post 965688)
... or jam as we call it in Aus.

Jelly and Jam are quite different here. Jelly is a bit more like gelatin than actual fruit, it is sort of fruit flavoured spread. Jam falls somewhere inbetween Jelly and Preserves, as it is a bit chunkier and actually contains pieces of fruit.

Yahya Kohgadai 07-27-2011 09:01 AM

In before distinctions between jelly, jam, marmalade and preserves.
:)

Nowadays I just call it "Peanut butter and fruit spread sandwich" just so some anal person doesn't open my sandwhich up and correct me.

Vickie Ellickson 07-27-2011 09:09 AM

I'm not an elite athlete, but I have an activity level that burns a crapload of calories. The past couple of weeks I've had a jar of peanut butter at work that I dip into once or twice a day just to keep from going into a caloric deficit. I'd like to think that it's helping with my deadlifts. :p

Katherine Derbyshire 07-27-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

- Mark

Yep, that one. I'll bet you'll find more elite Crossfitters who eat like that than elite CFers who follow strict Paleo-Zone.

Katherine