CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 01-05-2012 02:47 PM

Re: Nik

3:00 break

for time

3 squat cleans
1 rope climb

2 squat cleans
2 rope climbs

1 squat clean
3 rope climbs

cleans @ 185lbs(84k)
15 foot rope climb

time 6:04

messed up on round two and missed twice on the cleans or would have been sub 5:00min.

Dustin Standel 01-05-2012 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1020490]1. clean: work on position. bring bar to 1" above knee (take off position) and pause 2 sec. lower wt to floor and repeat. on 3rd rep, pause and explode...performing a clean pull. 5 sets working up to heavier sets but no more than 100% of best clean!!

5 set @ 205lbs felt kind of awkward but ok.

2011 CrossFit Open WOD 1- AMRAP in 10 minutes of:
30 Double Unders
15 Power Snatches (35kg)
'

4 rounds 21 DUs.

I was breath and had no real fire in my gut for it. After and still now my chest is burning pretty good.

I tried to keep it going, first round was in just over 1:00 min. but lost steam and just kept going as best I could. DUs were burming my shoulder bad and broke. I was good on the snatches, first 2 round unbroken.[/QUOTE]

I've had those blah days too. Yesterday I was running a 5K and it took me a forever to get faster than a 10:00 minute mile. I my legs didn't want to pick up, my joints were stiff, and I felt like I was running on stilts. Congratulations on sticking it out! Those are workouts to be just as proud of as PR's - they are kind of like guts and grit PR's! Here's your PR Pepper Dance - :pepper:

Nik Nichols 01-05-2012 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=Dustin Standel;1020530]I've had those blah days too. Yesterday I was running a 5K and it took me a forever to get faster than a 10:00 minute mile. I my legs didn't want to pick up, my joints were stiff, and I felt like I was running on stilts. Congratulations on sticking it out! Those are workouts to be just as proud of as PR's - they are kind of like guts and grit PR's! Here's your PR Pepper Dance - :pepper:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I am thinking of redoing it next week, Brady and I sat down and figured out that I'm not eating enough. So more food and a redo.

Luke Seubert 01-05-2012 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1020430]Luke, thaks man. I will reread you post again it is alot to digest. [/QUOTE]
Glad to be of help. In my research on losing fat, getting fit, and getting healthy, I consistently find four strong recommendations centered around nutrition, exercise, rest, and stress reduction. Working on all four of these areas produces not just great physical benefits, but mental benefits as well. That Ultramind book should be especially helpful, as it addresses all four.

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1020430]Diet I am paleo too. Have the book I will go back over the sleep section. I try to get alot of sleep but I do'nt sleep through a night. I wake up atleast 2 or 3 times a night. I will work on the darker room tonight, but ear plugs are out because I have a restless 5 year old boy to attend to who is sick at the moment. [/QUOTE]
Take a look at a magnesium citrate supplement called [url="http://www.calmnatural.com/naturalcalm"]Natural Calm[/url] (WFS). It is a powder which you add to warm water, causing it to fizz up a bit. It comes in various flavors. You drink it about half an hour before going to bed to help with good sleep. Getting sufficient magnesium and calcium is essential to good health, and a nice dose of magnesium before retiring can help you sleep better through the night.

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1020430]The meditation I will look in to. I almost snubbed it being I am a Christian but you explaned it well enough for a look. I am not so extreem to not look into it as long as it does'nt go against. [/QUOTE]
Well, as the author of "Mindfulness in Plain English" stated, "You can practice insight meditation without Buddhism, but you can not practice Buddhism without insight meditation." Having read through the book myself, I did not find it objectionable, and one can undertake the discipline of insight meditation without conflict with Christianity. Actually, insight meditation is very similar to contemplative prayer. It's just that the subject of contemplation is a little bit different. One contemplates one's own thoughts, instead of, say, a scripture reading, or an icon, or a short prayer.

Be aware though, that insight meditation is a challenging discipline. It is not easy. It requires determination, persistence, commitment, and grit. Happily, Nik, you have already cultivated these sorts of habits through your exercise and diet regimens. Those same qualities can be brought to bear upon your meditation practice. When combined with good nutrition, exercise, and rest; insight meditation offers an excellent pathway to developing both a strong, healthy body and a strong, healthy mind.

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1020430]I have gone the doctore route on the ''depression'' anxiety. I was put on paxil and other antidepression meds and ultimetly hated it and gained a ''smooth'' 40 extra pounds.

The meds helped to some extent but put a cap on all emotions not just anger and depression. So I came off. I wont do it again. My body is supper sensitive to any meds or vivimins even coffe majorly messes with me.[/QUOTE]
At the risk of becoming a repetitive bore, take a look at that Ultramind book. While the author agrees that there is a place for medication when it is needed, he correctly argues that we can go a long way towards healing our own bodies and minds with proper nutrition, exercise, rest, and stress reduction.

Personally, I think it is far better to take responsibility for one's own well being, rather than relying upon magic pills. It is a lot more work, that's for sure, but ultimately it brings more joy and satisfaction to life, as well as a sense of healthy pride and self-respect.

Dustin Standel 01-05-2012 06:51 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1020546]Thanks, I am thinking of redoing it next week, Brady and I sat down and figured out that I'm not eating enough. So more food and a redo.[/QUOTE]

That's a good start!

Reminds me of the Captain America movie - Somebody get that boy a sandwich! :rofl:

Seriously, though, how did you figure it out? I feel my WODs are worse in the fall and early winter, and best in the spring and late summer (right before the fall). Its been the same the last couple of years, so I've been trying to figure it out.

Scott Jenkins 01-06-2012 01:48 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1020490]1. clean: work on position. bring bar to 1" above knee (take off position) and pause 2 sec. lower wt to floor and repeat. on 3rd rep, pause and explode...performing a clean pull. 5 sets working up to heavier sets but no more than 100% of best clean!!

5 set @ 205lbs felt kind of awkward but ok.

2011 CrossFit Open WOD 1- AMRAP in 10 minutes of:
30 Double Unders
15 Power Snatches (35kg)
'

4 rounds 21 DUs.

I was breath and had no real fire in my gut for it. After and still now my chest is burning pretty good.

I tried to keep it going, first round was in just over 1:00 min. but lost steam and just kept going as best I could. DUs were burming my shoulder bad and broke. I was good on the snatches, first 2 round unbroken.[/QUOTE]

Did you beat your score from last year Nik, well done on getting 2 rounds unbroken, those light snatches can be under-estimated.

Nik Nichols 01-06-2012 07:12 AM

[QUOTE=Dustin Standel;1020598]That's a good start!

Reminds me of the Captain America movie - Somebody get that boy a sandwich! :rofl:

Seriously, though, how did you figure it out? I feel my WODs are worse in the fall and early winter, and best in the spring and late summer (right before the fall). Its been the same the last couple of years, so I've been trying to figure it out.[/QUOTE]

We just went over my food. I eat pretty regular and I have been skipping snacks and it really makes a difference. Also I changed up some stuff and cut some stuff back and I haven't added anything in for the cuts. Caleries are low.
[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1020700]Did you beat your score from last year Nik, well done on getting 2 rounds unbroken, those light snatches can be under-estimated.[/QUOTE]

I did'nt check but I know I got 5 rounds. I did this workout like 5 times last year working on getting a good score.

I also have good news and bad news. I am indeed getting Martins head cold. Which is good, because I was really lementing the workout yesterday. I had no idea what was wrong, the food thing sure, but I just did'nt have any intensity at all.

I feel tired and dragging nose stopped up head pressure. I felt it a bit yesterday but not to bad till aftert the workout

Chest was a bit heavy last night , but ok now.

I have drank two bottle of water so far this morning trying to get rehydrated.

Scott Jenkins 01-06-2012 07:52 AM

I think we are all going to get a cold at some time over these few months, just getting over mine now, been keeping the wife up with my constant coughing in the night and nose blowing, I have been a real nuisance, her words.

Judge what you can do now on your situation, if your scores all not too far behind then think just what you will do when you are 100% again. I had a bad Helen Tuesday due to the cold so know now its an easy beat next time around, think of that sort of thing.

Nik Nichols 01-06-2012 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1020742]I think we are all going to get a cold at some time over these few months, just getting over mine now, been keeping the wife up with my constant coughing in the night and nose blowing, I have been a real nuisance, her words.

Judge what you can do now on your situation, if your scores all not too far behind then think just what you will do when you are 100% again. I had a bad Helen Tuesday due to the cold so know now its an easy beat next time around, think of that sort of thing.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I'm actually glad it is a cold. I was worried, I mean all I have been doing and to blow the light opens workout really got me. I was wondering if there wasnt something wrong.

All though I have been way under eating as well. So eat more get well kill workout!!

Nik Nichols 01-06-2012 08:20 AM

A.M. warmup

20 reps all
GHDs
back ext
abmatt situps 25lbs over head
pushups
OHS with bar

pullups

deadhang mix grip 10/10

Feeling tired and slow, breathing was a mess ather the GHDs from the cold I have. Thw workout today will be a challenge but I will hit it as hard as I can.