CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Scott Jenkins 01-05-2012 07:03 AM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1020347]Yea, it was good. Thw 285 was really do aboe for 2 reps, but once over 300 it gets hard on form for reps. I did'nt want to push reps up there yet, just hit it once.

Oh and this is a pic of me some 10 years ago well befor Crossfit, but I though you needed to see it. ;) (WFS) [url]http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197408_10150103907987334_641202333_6658286_1508522_n.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

Keep the squatting going, I missed 3 weeks and lost 10k on my front squat over christmas, just from not squatting heavy!!

You look at home on the Horse Nik, need actions shots of you jumping over fences next.

Nik Nichols 01-05-2012 07:08 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1020350]Keep the squatting going, I missed 3 weeks and lost 10k on my front squat over christmas, just from not squatting heavy!!

You look at home on the Horse Nik, need actions shots of you jumping over fences next.[/QUOTE]

I am thinking the same on squat, i will keep it up and maintain it till I am sure the back is 100%.

I use to train horses for a man to resell. Hed by half wiled horses for a steal and leave them with me to work and train, them sell them for a good price all trained up. So I spent alot of time on them and on horses that wanted you off their backs. It really was alot of fun and I really miss it. It has bee a long time for me to be on a horse.

Scott Jenkins 01-05-2012 07:32 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1020354]I am thinking the same on squat, i will keep it up and maintain it till I am sure the back is 100%.

I use to train horses for a man to resell. Hed by half wiled horses for a steal and leave them with me to work and train, them sell them for a good price all trained up. So I spent alot of time on them and on horses that wanted you off their backs. It really was alot of fun and I really miss it. It has bee a long time for me to be on a horse.[/QUOTE]

Thats another thing we have in common then, my Dad was a racehorse jockey so I done a lot of riding when I was younger, also not rode for a long time. That sounds like a really crazy job breaking the horses in, and a fun job too.

Nik Nichols 01-05-2012 07:45 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1020371]Thats another thing we have in common then, my Dad was a racehorse jockey so I done a lot of riding when I was younger, also not rode for a long time. That sounds like a really crazy job breaking the horses in, and a fun job too.[/QUOTE]

HAHA Cool you ride, or have ridden. It was a fun job, it really was'nt to bad except one horse which was really stubborn. Other then her, it was just jeep thmem minding and getting use to longer rider and menovering ext.

Nik Nichols 01-05-2012 07:49 AM

A.M. warm up

30 reps all
GHDs with 10lbs
back ext 25lbs
abmatt situps 25lbs over head
pushups
OHSs with bar( rough, I really felt nauseous after)

pullups

still working arround the elbow

mixxed grip deadhang left hand under 10reps
mixxed grip deadhang right hand under 10 reps

they were ok.

rolled my back 3:00min.

After the OHS I felt sick for a wile I hope I'm not picking up Martins cold. I woke up with a bit of a sore throat but I put it off to snoring or breathing through my mouth. We will see come lunch.

Ernie Guevara 01-05-2012 08:45 AM

What's wrong with your elbow Nik?

Luke Seubert 01-05-2012 09:00 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1020000]Thanks everyone. I have an embarrasing post to make here so bare with me.

I have'nt lifted for 6 days now. I will try today and see how it goes.

I have suffered with ''depression'' and anger issues in the past to the point of being on meds ect. All years ago, and I have delt with it pretty well considering where I was to now, but it is not gone or ever was, I am able to deal with it when it comes up.

Well the last few weeks have been really bad for me. I mean the holidays have been great, but besides that, there is alot of under lying stuff going on.

I usually use the workout as a place to focus and burn off stresses in my head.

After the foot brusing, left shoulder and elbow and now back injuries, I did'nt have that. Martin is sick and sleep has been little at best.

Cathy has health issues were working through now. (personal) it has all been alot.

So I have'nt been on the boards for this stuff and being mad about it and not wanting to cry on hear or look the wimp for not training.

My elbow is still sore so no pullups, my foot is still sore and I am wearing mushy shoes that keep it from hurting. Back is sore but not to bad really.

So I will do a workout from Mikes gym to try and see what I can do.

This post leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but in the hopes of keeeping a good log and not covering my weakness and showing all I am, I post this.[/QUOTE]
Well done, Nik. You have taken the first necessary and positive step required for dealing with these difficult issues - acknowledging that you have a problem to solve.

As men, we are often reluctant to admit to suffering from mental or emotional issues. Men are biologically predisposed, for good reasons, to be stoic and tough. Admitting to "mental" issues violates this code of ours, but this is a false machismo. The fact of the matter is that the so-called "mental" issues are not at all mental - they are physical, and they are rooted in the brain, our body, and our metabolism and biochemistry. The sooner that we accept this, the easier it immediately becomes to then deal with such issues appropriately.

By way of advice, I would first recommend that you consult your doctor if you feel that this is necessary. In addition to consulting with a medical professional, there are a number of things which you can do to improve matters on your own, in support of medical treatment.

The first one you are already doing, and already appreciate the benefits of - frequent, rigorous exercise. Given the direct and deep interconnection between brain and body, a strong body literally produces a strong mind. Keep up the exercise, and you will go a long way towards improving your mental fitness.

Also, make sure you are getting plenty of rest. Refer to the chapter on rest in Robb Wolf's book, "The Paleo Solution". He recommends a number of things to ensure proper sleep and rest. Among them are sleeping in a totally dark and very quiet room. Any light whatsoever disturbs the sleep cycle. Turning off all sources of light, blacking out the windows with heavy curtains, and blocking light from coming underneath the door will help ensure a good night's sleep. Earplugs might also be in order if you are a light sleeper who wakes upon hearing noise. Finally, try to get to bed as early as possible. Every hour of sleep before midnight is worth two hours of sleep after midnight. If you cut out the evening TV viewing, which in the grand scheme of things is no great loss, you'll enjoy higher quality sleep and enough proper rest to sustain your daily activities. And it will go a long way towards improving your mental outlook.

Do not forget to practice good nutrition. The foods we eat can have a major impact upon our mental faculties. As you know, I am a fan of the Paleo diet, and thus avoid grains, legumes, and usually though not always, milk. Fresh vegetables, some fruits, whole cuts of lean meats, some nuts and seeds, and heart healthy fats and oils will highly benefit your brain. My mental acuity and alertness have gone up considerably since following a Paleo diet, and when I broke the diet by eating lots of grain-based foods back at Thanksgiving, that lethargy and torpor and depressed feeling returned. Even if you don't care to go hard core Paleo as I have done, try to eat healthier, fresh foods - especially lots of vegetables - wherever possible.

Along the lines of nutrition but not necessarily Paleo diet, I have a very useful book recommendation for you. Check out "The Ultramind Solution: Fix Your Broken Brain By Healing Your Body First", by Mark Hyman, M.D. This excellent book goes into a great deal of detail about how exercise and nutrition, coupled with proper rest, can go a long way towards resolving maladies of the brain. Of all the recommendation I make in this post, this is the one that I would most strongly urge you to take up. It is an excellent book, and I think you will find its advice and program most beneficial.

Finally, in addition to exercise, rest, and nutrition, you should also pay some attention to stress reduction. In general, most people need to reduce the clutter in their lives. Stop doing so much minor, ticky-tack stuff, and focus only of those few things which are really important to you. Skip the fluff, pay attention to the essentials, and you'll find yourself with more time and more serenity in your life.

Another thing that can help in this quest is getting yourself properly organized, so that you aren't stressing over a mammoth and undone "ToDo" list all the time. Among computer geeks, the bible of personal organization is "Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity" by David Allen. This book works great for everybody, not just computer geeks. It provides an excellent system for capturing and organizing the many stray threads in your life and work. Once you put the system into place, your anxiety levels will go down because you will always know that you have everything organized, and in a trusted system that provides a smooth, logical workflow to your daily activities.

Finally, Nik, you mentioned that you occasionally get a bit depressed. Anxiety and depression often go together, and there is one final bit of advice I would like to share with you by way of a solution. I recommend that you take up the practice of daily insight meditation, also known as [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBSR"]mindfulness based stress reduction[/url] (WFS). While insight meditation is a Buddhist meditation practice, mindfulness meditation itself does not require adherence to any particular religious faith, Buddhist or otherwise. As such, it can be considered religiously neutral or secular. Insight meditation is a challenging mental discipline, in which you learn to observe your own thoughts in real time, and to non-judgmentally contemplate them. It helps enormously in resolving problems with depression and anxiety, promoting a strong sense of balance and serenity in one's life. There is a lot of scientific research to back up these claims. The [url="http://www.umassmed.edu/Content.aspx?id=41254"]Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachuseets Medical School[/url] (WFS) has a program of mindfulness based meditation, along with references to the medical research proving its efficacy.

If you would like to find out more about insight meditation, I highly recommend the book, [url="http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html"]Mindfulness In Plain English[/url] (WFS) by Henepola Gunaratana. It is available free of charge in various electronic file formats at that link, as well as in hardcopy form from Amazon.com, etc. It is considered one of the best English language introductions to the practice of insight meditation. Gunaratana strips out the flowery and odd Asian language tropes, and explains how meditation works in direct, plain spoken English. He makes passing reference to a few Buddhist concepts, but his primary focus is on insight meditation as a practice available to all people of any spiritual background. Should you decide to undertake the practice of meditation, I highly recommend starting with this book. And if you would like to find out a bit more, please feel free to PM me, and I can direct you to some additional helpful resources.

Nik Nichols 01-05-2012 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;1020401]What's wrong with your elbow Nik?[/QUOTE]

Man it is my left arm and I say ''elbow'' but it is the front of the elbow where the by hits and the forearm meets. It feels like strain, like I did death by pullups. I feel a tightness or sore ness when I just fold my arm up as far as i can, like putting you wrist to your shoulder, squeezing the elbow.

So I am taking it easy till it goes away which is killing my pullups. opens are arround the corner. I need to be well.

Nik Nichols 01-05-2012 09:50 AM

Luke, thaks man. I will reread you post again it is alot to digest.

Diet I am paleo too. Have the book I will go back over the sleep section. I try to get alot of sleep but I do'nt sleep through a night. I wake up atleast 2 or 3 times a night. I will work on the darker room tonight, but ear plugs are out because I have a restless 5 year old boy to attend to who is sick at the moment.

The meditation I will look in to. I almost snubbed it being I am a Christian but you explaned it well enough for a look. I am not so extreem to not look into it as long as it does'nt go against.

I have gone the doctore route on the ''depression'' anxiety. I was put on paxil and other antidepression meds and ultimetly hated it and gained a ''smooth'' 40 extra pounds.

The meds helped to some extent but put a cap on all emotions not just anger and depression. So I came off. I wont do it again. My body is supper sensitive to any meds or vivimins even coffe majorly messes with me.

Nik Nichols 01-05-2012 12:41 PM

1. clean: work on position. bring bar to 1" above knee (take off position) and pause 2 sec. lower wt to floor and repeat. on 3rd rep, pause and explode...performing a clean pull. 5 sets working up to heavier sets but no more than 100% of best clean!!

5 set @ 205lbs felt kind of awkward but ok.

2011 CrossFit Open WOD 1- AMRAP in 10 minutes of:
30 Double Unders
15 Power Snatches (35kg)
'

4 rounds 21 DUs.

I was breath and had no real fire in my gut for it. After and still now my chest is burning pretty good.

I tried to keep it going, first round was in just over 1:00 min. but lost steam and just kept going as best I could. DUs were burming my shoulder bad and broke. I was good on the snatches, first 2 round unbroken.