CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 11-12-2012 01:17 PM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Eric Shuty;1107148]I agree that a beginner or even an intermediate (depends on experience) should probably not go there. However, I believe that most people don't know how/wouldn't know how to get that kind of intensity on a lift so there isn't too much of a risk. This is why when I leave the gym super sweaty and exhausted from doing 1 or 2 rep sets people are kind of puzzled. "How do you get all that from only doing 1-3 reps?"

There is a far greater risk of someone going too far on a conditioning-based or high rep WOD then there is on going to blackout (or oh no i'm about to poo my pants) point on a lift...[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA:rofl:

I am starting to see that about both exercized. I mean I got breathless on my last set of 6 reps on deads the other day. I agree with you on high rep workouts too to a point. Today I did that light squat for reps to try out a qualifier for Scott and boy was my back tight after.

Still I am loving the push into that area, challenging myself, squatting and feeling like my legs are dead and standing it up fighting for every inch. So much fun! And a feeling of accomplishment.

I know I have more in that area and expect my numbers to go up the more I'm able to push into it. Gotta love it it is an addiction.

Nik Nichols 11-12-2012 02:56 PM

3:00 break
10 rounds of 3 reps
strict ring dips with 10lbs.

Easy and smooth.

Scott Jenkins 11-13-2012 04:48 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1107138]First London Throwdown qualifier is as follows:

3 minute amrap:

Back Squat for power output.

So any weight you want... but you cannot put the bar down until either the 3 minutes is over or you just cannot hold it, on putting bar down workout is over.

weight 71k (155lbs) 47 reps total weight moved 3337kilo.

I was going for 47 or more reps going by Scotts lists. I could have done more but was pacing it to finish ok. Only real issue with it was breathing. I held my breath on every rep on the squats and at the end it was getting breathy. Better breathing more reps for sure.

weighted dead hang chin ups
3 reps on the min for 10:00min with 1.5pood(53lbs)24kilo KB. 30 reps total.

I was going to do ring dips but ram low on time. I hit them at 3:00. Need to work them as I never do them.[/QUOTE]

Nice effort Nik, think you would probably score higher with a slightly lighter load, give you time to squat quicker so to keep the breathing going.

On the pushing into pain, glad you brought it up, I have thought about it a lot of times and then somewhere priorities in the gym sway and I lose the strength intensity. Have to think about my squat intensity on the heavy sets once my knee is ready.

Nik Nichols 11-13-2012 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1107278]Nice effort Nik, think you would probably score higher with a slightly lighter load, give you time to squat quicker so to keep the breathing going.

On the pushing into pain, glad you brought it up, I have thought about it a lot of times and then somewhere priorities in the gym sway and I lose the strength intensity. Have to think about my squat intensity on the heavy sets once my knee is ready.[/QUOTE]

Yea, you know me, breathing(or not brearthing) always trips me up. This morning (part of my daily warm up that i don't post) I squatted 135lbs(61/62k) for 3 reps and tried not to hold my breath, I still held it at the bottom. But I was breathing on the way down and held it for just a bit out of the hole. That alone would give me more reps.

It was all about the breathing for me. The weight did not bother me. lighter it would be easier yes, but breathing better would help alot too.

On the intensity, I am talking about heavy lifts, not metcon, you have that intensity to spare!

But yea, it is that point where it is uncomfortable yes, and most people stop. But I have hit reps where I was not sure I'd get out of the hole, legs dead. My form is solid and I'm not worrried about core fatigue so I can push, push hard. I have grunted out reps that befor I'd have never tried.

That thing on press, where I press and it stops and I just give up. Now it is stop, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!! Push like your head is going to pop. I see some real strength gains in that spot. But recovery is a beast after that kind of push.

Heavier weights for one rep is so much easier after grinding out more reps and feeling that intensity.

What was that guy you trained with every now and then in Essex I think, he as a fighter. He had that intensity. I saw videos of his crazy heavy reps long ago. What was his name?

Nik Nichols 11-13-2012 08:12 AM

A.M. warm up
shor heavy version, late getting in. And I will be late tomorrow to.

20 HSPUs 15/5 fell off the wall. Games standard.
20 GHDs with 10lbs to chest
20 back ext 25 lbs
20 abmatt pushups with 45lbs plate over head
20 pushups
20 C2B kipping pull ups
20 squats
20 pushups

kicking drills
rolled my back 2:00min
rolled piriformus 2:00min a side
rolled hip flexers 2:00 min a side

Deload week boo.

Scott Jenkins 11-13-2012 09:22 AM

Not quite sure who you mean, Brett was a figher at Cf Essex, he's more about the heavy stuff and oly lifting than metcon so could of been him.

I've had a few of those struggling reps on shoulder press this week, mainly getting that 3rd out on 65k yesterday, only trouble is when you FIGHT my body seems to contort and hyper extend, not had any pains from it but I know its wrong.

Nik Nichols 11-13-2012 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1107329]Not quite sure who you mean, Brett was a figher at Cf Essex, he's more about the heavy stuff and oly lifting than metcon so could of been him.

I've had a few of those struggling reps on shoulder press this week, mainly getting that 3rd out on 65k yesterday, only trouble is when you FIGHT my body seems to contort and hyper extend, not had any pains from it but I know its wrong.[/QUOTE]

Yea, pushing into that kind of effort need some great form, if your form goes and you are in that kind of ''weight'' and push you could get hurt.

Nik Nichols 11-13-2012 10:08 AM

10:00 break

deload squats 60% of 335lbs

135lbs x5
185lbs x5
205lbs x5

all easy but my left calf got really tight and feels slightly pulled. We will see, I will drink alot and stretch and roll it and see how it goes. I ''MAY'' rest it if it feels wonky and metcon tomorrow. Like I said, we will see on warm up.

Nik Nichols 11-13-2012 12:40 PM

deload press

bar x5
95lbs x5

AMRAP in 6 Minutes of:
9 Deadlifts (60/40kg)
7 Hang Power Clean (60/45kg)
5 Pushpress (60/45kg)

4 rounds even

deads to 8 then switch grip from mix to hook, rest unbroken.
HPCs were the hardest but ok, I still need to work on dropping from the rack to mid leg. I drop it to waist and then bend to the high hang, slow work there.

rolled my left calf for 12 min working that sore spot.

ball in knee pit 2:00min left knee.

Fel a little run down i figure it is from yesterdays squats. 4 reps at 320lbs and the 3 min 47 reps I think took it out of me.

Nik Nichols 11-13-2012 02:54 PM

3:00 break

rolled my quads 3:00min

rolled lerft calf 5:00min

it is sore, feels like a pull. Walking arround is ok, but there is a big lump in the calf muscle. I'm glad it is deload week.