CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   PVC pipe for over head squat/snatch practice (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=75753)

Mike Doehla 06-01-2012 12:38 PM

PVC pipe for over head squat/snatch practice

Does anyone know if I can get this in 7' cuts at home depot or lowes or what you guys usually practice on?

John Donovan 06-01-2012 12:52 PM

Re: PVC pipe for over head squat/snatch practice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Doehla (Post 1065739)
Does anyone know if I can get this in 7' cuts at home depot or lowes or what you guys usually practice on?

They'll cut it for you from a 10 footer but they'll charge you the full price. Best bet is to buy it and cut it yourself.

Mike Doehla 06-01-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Donovan (Post 1065741)
They'll cut it for you from a 10 footer but they'll charge you the full price. Best bet is to buy it and cut it yourself.

thanks man. I will grab a few.

Josh Wright 06-01-2012 01:39 PM

Just cut a 10' section in half and have two practice pieces. You don't need a piece as long as an entire barbell, just the portion between the collars.

Mike Doehla 06-01-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Wright (Post 1065758)
Just cut a 10' section in half and have two practice pieces. You don't need a piece as long as an entire barbell, just the portion between the collars.

will that be enough for snatch grip. I'm new to this movement so I just want to make sure.

Willie McLendon 06-01-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Doehla (Post 1065762)
will that be enough for snatch grip. I'm new to this movement so I just want to make sure.

Yes, it will work just fine

Katherine Derbyshire 06-02-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Doehla (Post 1065762)

Buy a ten-foot length. Take it home. Snatch it repeatedly, adjusting your grip until you've found the right spacing. Measure that distance. Cut accordingly.

Unless you have a long wingspan, 5' should be plenty. Remember that on a barbell, the sleeves take up almost a foot on either end anyway.

Katherine

Matt Thomas 06-02-2012 11:11 PM

Just cut it to the length of a barbell minus the sleeves (seems like that would come out close to 5'). If you need it to be longer than that...too bad:D You won't get more space when using a real bar.

Mike Doehla 06-04-2012 12:19 PM

thanks guys. I went to Lowes last night and they had them but their cutting machine was broken and I couldn't fit it in my car. They could have cut it with anything lol. I'll try home depot tomorrow.

Stu Christensen 06-04-2012 12:25 PM

We use cheap wooden broomsticks instead.