CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Paleo BM issues/ fiber (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=72244)

Troy Kenshin 12-22-2011 09:42 AM

Paleo BM issues/ fiber
 
I'm sorry if this post is inappropriate but its a big problem.

does cooking vegetables (baking in oven specifically) kill their fiber content. because I've been eating paleo and am having difficulty passing stools. I've heard most paleo folks say they are regular when they eat a lot of vegetable, but i eat tons of veggies with every meal so technically i should be getting a lot of fiber, yet i have difficulty passing stools. this leads me to believe that baking the vegetables may have killed the fiber in them and causes the issue?
besides that I've been taking probiotics, digestive enzymes and haven't improved my situation much.

I've thought about taking phylum husk but wasn't sure it that'd be good.

I've also considered that its due to not eating enough, however i eat as i see fit (based on hunger) so i don't think thats it.

for recorord though my diet/ supplements are as follows:

6:30am:
animal M-stak (pre WO supplement)
8:00am
4 egg omlete, 4-6oz bacon, spinach, onions, carrots, multi fit, fish oil
1:00pm:
12oz salmon or tuna, 12oz salad/mixed veg, fish oil
6:00pm:
12oz bison or chicken, 12 oz salad/ mixed veg , fish oil
9:00pm: creatine, zma

for though I had this problem before starting any supplements so that isn't it, and my performance continues to improve in strength/metcon.

I've plugged stuff into fit day and i usually get about 60-75g carbs, 250-300g protein, 60-100g fat roughly 2100 calories.

im 5'9 130lbs 18 Y.O.

Arturo Garcia 12-22-2011 12:56 PM

Re: Paleo BM issues/ fiber
 
When you eat chicken or tuna, do you add fat somehow? Most people who eat meat/veggies tend to end up consuming more calories from Fat than from protein and by my calculations this is not your case (1000-1200 cals from protein vs. 540-900 cals from fat, by your amount of grams). Maybe you need more fat.

Evan Peikon 12-22-2011 01:07 PM

Re: Paleo BM issues/ fiber
 
Would having more protein than fat e a problem bc I think I do that too

Troy Kenshin 12-22-2011 01:12 PM

Re: Paleo BM issues/ fiber
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 1016631)
When you eat chicken or tuna, do you add fat somehow? Most people who eat meat/veggies tend to end up consuming more calories from Fat than from protein and by my calculations this is not your case (1000-1200 cals from protein vs. 540-900 cals from fat, by your amount of grams). Maybe you need more fat.

No added fats. To be honest oils/ avocado gross me out , so I don't eat those. And I don't tolerate nuts very well( some more than other but, that's not relevant). Due to that/ the fact that I'm at college and can't access higher fat meats I eat the my meals the way I do. Do you really think that's the issues though and is it bad to have the type of protein to fat ratio that I do

Rebecca Roth 12-22-2011 01:18 PM

Re: Paleo BM issues/ fiber
 
Yep, that would be your problem. The average paleo-ite is going to get at least 40% of their calories from fats, typically more. Try fattier cuts of meat maybe, you might even try having some dairy/heavy cream or clarified butter/ghee if you can handle it. Other than that I would say replace your salad lettuce with kale, it is likely to help get things moving a bit.

Ryan Eddy 12-22-2011 01:38 PM

Re: Paleo BM issues/ fiber
 
http://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/constipation.html
wfs

This really opened my eyes and solved my problems. Read around the entire site. Tons of good info. (IMO)

Fiber is not the answer.

:highfive:

Andrew N. Casey 12-22-2011 07:27 PM

Re: Paleo BM issues/ fiber
 
first and foremost is water. if you aren't drinking enough then you can have these issues no matter what you eat or don't eat. drink a gallon a day at least.

assuming you get enough water, then yes, there is more to it than fiber. having good healthy bacteria in your gut is also important.

as an aside, you are not eating "a ton of veggies". you aren't even eating many at all. you should be eating alot more veggies. and add in some fruit.

creatine has also been known to cause these issues, especially if water intake is low.

Andrew N. Casey 12-22-2011 07:30 PM

Re: Paleo BM issues/ fiber
 
oh, well i just re-read and noticed you are 5'9" and 130... EAT MORE! and drink tons of water

Jon Clingenpeel 12-23-2011 01:02 PM

Re: Paleo BM issues/ fiber
 
Make sure you chew your food thoroughly, that too is also important. It save your stomach and smaller intenstines from having to do all the work.

Zach S 12-23-2011 03:05 PM

Re: Paleo BM issues/ fiber
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey (Post 1016758)
first and foremost is water. if you aren't drinking enough then you can have these issues no matter what you eat or don't eat. drink a gallon a day at least.

assuming you get enough water, then yes, there is more to it than fiber. having good healthy bacteria in your gut is also important.

as an aside, you are not eating "a ton of veggies". you aren't even eating many at all. you should be eating alot more veggies. and add in some fruit.

creatine has also been known to cause these issues, especially if water intake is low.

I dont agree with this. Drinking over a gallon of water can be dangerous on a low carb/low salt diet. It could severally flush out minerals and such. I do agree to add more fruit, that should help things get going. Dont add kale like someone commented, kale is pretty much indigestible unless cooked. We are not cows. More fiber in the form of indigestible veggies or phylum husk is not the answer and could make things worse. Add in more digestible carbs like fruit and cook veg. Maybe try a couple tbs of coconut oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey (Post 1016761)
oh, well i just re-read and noticed you are 5'9" and 130... EAT MORE!

And this. Do this.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.