CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My Midlife Crisis (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=56812)

Benjamin R. Greene 03-29-2010 02:24 PM

My Midlife Crisis

I just started Cross-Fit yesterday, but I am very excited about this opportunity. I have studied exercise and fitness all my life and have long thought that sprinters, Olympic lifters, and gymnasts have the kind of bodies I wanted to look like. The emaciated marathon runner is not an attractive role model.
I have extensive experience in martial arts and weightlifting. I have an intermittent history in exercise, but I never have been able to be consistent with my workouts. I have all the usual excuses: I'm too tired, too sore, I think I might be getting a cold, I will have a drink and hit it tomorrow, the usual.
I am making a lot of personal changes in my life, including downsizing my business and trying to change my personal habits, so I figured devoting myself to a regular program of intense physical exercise fit right in. I really hope I can find the personal discipline to stick with this program. I know I could really use it. Last week I went to an MMA gym. I dominated two fighters, but the third guy whooped me pretty hard and I ended up taking a trip to the emergency room with an arm injury. I wasn't seriously hurt, thank God, but it was a wake up call.
In addition, I went on vacation recently and had some vacation photos taken. I looked terrible, like the out of shape middle-aged man with a beer belly I am. Very motivating.
On the good side, I ranked between intermediate and advanced on my beginning CFT, so that is pretty good news. Hopefully, I can improve on that. Also, my body fat is 19.8% percent, which is on the high end of normal. I am on the Paleo diet, although I regularly cheat. :( I am 41 years old, about 200 lbs, 5'9", for the record.
So, enough about my personal issues, on to the workouts. Yesterday, I did Saturday's routine in order to have a workout "in the bank" in case I missed one due to work or travel obligations. I felt pretty good, as I did it as Rx'd at 135 all the way through.
Today's workout was instant humility. I could only do one round, with tuck jumps substituting for the double unders, and with a 54 lb kettlebell. I finished in about 10 minutes.:eek: I couldn't even do one double under, and I really tried. Even throwing a tantrum didn't help.:ranting2:
By the way, I hope someone finds some encouragement someday from my scribblings about my personal issues. Let me know if you do.

Scott Ewan 03-30-2010 01:00 AM

Re: My Midlife Crisis

Hey Benjamin,

You sound quite a bit like me !
I'm 5'9" (and a half;)), just turned 40, but a bit heavier and fatter (97kg/215lb, 27% fat:yikes:), with a history of weighlifting and martial arts. And fairly incosistent too - all the same "reasons"...
I'm also trying to make some major changes (aka midlife crisis :)), only it sounds like I've been CFing a few months more.

All I can say is: stick with it.
Some days you'll feel like a firebreather, others you'll feel like you've achieved nothing. Rest assured, neither of these are true - but every day you turn up and train, and every day you eat well, you're making a difference.
Like everyone else, you'll find some WODs suit you and your experience better (I like heavy WODs for example); others will humiliate you (for me, that's anything with body weight work). But over time you will see improvements and the imbalance will even out in the end.

btw Those vacation photos you mentioned - keep them handy, but don't look at them till you've been living your new lifestyle for few months. You'll see big differences.
My son found some old photos of me recently - even though I've still got a long way to go - he was amazed at the difference.

Keep posting - it's nice to know there are other like me out there!

Benjamin R. Greene 03-30-2010 06:19 AM

Thanks for the encouragement! :thanx: I really needed it after yesterday and today.
I did the first two rounds at 185# and with jumping and curling up pullups. Then on round three I dropped the bar while doing the squats, so I moved the weight down to 135 to try to grind out the rest. I finished five rounds before my left arm started just screaming in pain from the arm injury last week, so I called it quits. I am sitting here at home now and it hurts to just type. I am praying my Ibuprofen kicks in as soon as possible. I am so relieved tomorrow is my rest day. If I ever get to the point where I am really able to do these routines with any sort of fidelity to the actual WODs, the guys at Valley Fight Club in Hanford where I train for MMA better run! :evilsmile
This is definitely a workout series that will inspire humility, I can tell that already. To really do the WODs as instructed, every time, would challenge world class athletes. So, how long until you noticed some real changes to your physique or performance?

Benjamin R. Greene 03-30-2010 06:25 AM

Oh, yeah, for the record my CFT was 315 squat, 365 deadlift, and 135 press for a total of 815. Not bad for a guy who really started to focus on his fitness and diet on Feb. 23, 2010, so only a month ago.

Scott Ewan 03-30-2010 06:51 AM

Yep, not bad numbers there.
At least you sound as though you have them well in context though ie not getting big-headed about it.

I thought my numbers were good going into CF too (again, pretty similar to yours), but I did come from a powerlifting background.
I soon learned that they mean nothing if I couldn't string any more than a couple of pull-ups together!

To be honest, I'm happy to scale down some of my weights now, though that decision took much soul-searching. The lower weights mean I can now get more out of the WODs - keeping the work rate high.
I've acepted now that it might take me a long time to do most WODs unscaled - I think I only managed 1 this month without some adjustment.
Try not to compare yourself too much to the awesome performances in the videos - yes they can be inspiring, but they can also show you how far you still have to go. I'd have given up on day 1 if I thought I had to compete with those guys.
I focus on improving my performance and that alone.
But, from your last post, you seem to know when to call it quits - smart move!
I do some strength work on other days to keep my ego happy ;)

I'm not sure I've seen big changes to my physique yet, though my wife tells me the spare tyre is smaller. And I can tell that I'm 'firming' up. I guess there's still too much fat to see the difference. :shrug:
Oh, and my clothes are beginning to look and feel baggy... That's really been the change since just before last Christmas. And I've probably dropped 5kg/10lbs in that time too.

Looking forward to reading your log...

Scott Ewan 03-30-2010 06:52 AM

Geez! Sorry for the (really) long reply.
I do tend to ramble...

Benjamin R. Greene 03-30-2010 08:53 PM

Hey, rock on, you replies are great.... Yeah, it really opens your eyes to the truly global notion of what is "fitness". What makes a fit powerlifter doesn't help a bit on pullups, jumping, etc. It sort of underlines the challenge. I think if I can keep this up for a year, I will see great improvements. Consistency is the key. I am really happy tomorrow will be my off day. I could use it.

Scott Ewan 03-31-2010 12:02 AM

:pepper:

Keep posting!
Looking forward to reading how you get on.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-01-2010 07:28 PM

I felt great about today's workout! I did 135, 185 (F), 155, 165, 175, 185 (PR), 195(PR!). RAWR!

Benjamin R. Greene 04-02-2010 06:52 PM

Ok, another tough workout. I did 7 pullups the first round, then negatives from then on. I did 12 pushups first round, negative by last three, 5 or 6 sit ups each round, 9 or 10 squats each round.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-03-2010 06:40 PM

Well, sometimes you go for personal records, sometimes you just try to survive and finish the workout. This was definitely one I just tried to force myself to finish.
1600 meters in 8.29
1200 meters in 8:11
800 meters in 5:28
400 meters in 2:08

Total time for workout: 30:16

At least I can say I'm doing the workouts, even the ones that aren't particularly suited for short, fat, middle-aged guys.

Kevin Simons 04-03-2010 08:04 PM

Great work man! You seem like a really nice guy and I wish you all the best on your journey. A word of advice, you should really write out what the WOD was on here (or just copy and paste from mainsite). It will help you remember exactly what you've done when you look back on it later, and it will be easier to track your progress. Keep up the good work and keep posting. Having buddies watching your log is a great way to keep yourself accountable. Good luck!

Benjamin R. Greene 04-06-2010 12:54 AM

Thank you for your tip and encouragement! I will start keeping track immediately.

By the way, your numbers are HUGE! I can only dream of such Olympian feats. I am in awe. :king:

On to today's workout:

For time:
10 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
1 Weighted pull-up
9 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
2 Weighted pull-ups
8 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
3 Weighted pull-ups
7 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
4 Weighted pull-ups
6 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
5 Weighted pull-ups
5 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
6 Weighted pull-ups
4 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
7 Weighted pull-ups
3 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
8 Weighted pull-ups
2 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
9 Weighted pull-ups
1 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
10 Weighted pull-ups

Use 25, 45, or 65 pound dumbbells. Use one of the C&J dumbbells as the load for the weighted pull-ups. Placing the dumbbell between legs crossed at the ankles works very well.

Post load and time to comments.

Yeah, this one sucked. I had 45 lb dumbells and a 20 lb weight vest. Ditched the weight vest the third round. Jumped on the last pullup on the round of 6. Finally, my back and arms just quit on the C&J round of 4.
On the positive side, sort of, I had to struggle just to talk myself into just attempting the workout. My back and shoulders had really hurt since the Tabata WOD. They had just started to feel better.
On the motivational side I had 3 people tell me in the last 24 hours how much fatter I looked and that I had obviously been pigging out, etc.:mad: Then, bizarrely, one person told me I had lost so much fat that she could hardly recognize me. Um, which is it, folks? Anyway, I am definitely getting a complex.
Speaking of which, I am so hungry since I started this workout I eat about every two hours, like a newborn. I don't know if that is a good thing, with all the comments I have been getting....:( I don't think people understand or care how hurtful it is to be told how terrible I look when I am working out like a madman and at least trying to eat more healthy food. Jeez.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-06-2010 12:58 AM

Run 1600 meters
Rest 3 minutes
Run 1200 meters
Rest 2 minutes
Run 800 meters
Rest 1 minute
Run 400 meters

This was April 3, 2010's workout.

Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.

This was April 2's workout.

Split Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

This was April 1's workout.

Seven rounds for time of:
185 pound Front squat, 3 reps
7 L-pull-ups

March 30, 2010

Five rounds for time of:
40 Double-unders
30 Box jumps, 24 inch box
20 Kettlebell swings, 1.5 pood

March 29, 2010

Thruster 3-3-3-3-3-3-3

March 28, 2010, the first Cross-Fit workout I ever did. Now I can refer back to my history of workouts if I want to see what I have done and compare times.

Kevin Simons 04-06-2010 11:21 AM

Yeah that C+J/ Pull-up WOD looks pretty tough to me too. Did you write down your time? Even if it wasn't prescribed or whatever, the more quantifiable you can make your log the better. I guarantee it will be encouraging as hell when it comes up 6 months from now and you destroy your previous numbers.

As to the comments, who was making them? It could just have been circumstantial. Maybe it was a tough day in the workplace, or you were in an off-putting mood or wearing unflattering clothing or something. But it could also be that your friends and family were giving you honest feedback to support you and your goals. Maybe something you are doing needs a small tweak or change. I suggest taking pictures in the bathroom mirror once a week, and you will be able to more objectively observe your progress.

The most important thing is that you are making a valiant effort to improve yourself! I promise you are moving in the right direction for that fact alone. It can take a bit of a learning curve to find out what exactly works best for you. If you keep tracking progress and making changes, we'll definitely be able to optimize those results.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm going to keep going for a moment haha. It is pretty normal for the metabolism to speed up when one starts working out, but it could still be possible that you are overcompensating with how much you are eating. On average it takes at least 2.5 to three hours to digest a meal. Two hours isn't long enough to wait. I'm not sure how paleo your intake is, but it sounds to me like you could just be craving sugar/carbs. This is not the same as being hungry. After you have been on a strict paleo diet for a month or two you will be able to feel the difference.

Keep hitting those WODs hard like you are doing. If your numbers are improving, it is almost a guarantee that form will follow function. You can also post a food log for us to critique if you feel so inclined. Don't get discouraged. You are doing great!

Benjamin R. Greene 04-07-2010 05:36 PM

Wow, thank you for the help and support. I am forcing myself to keep going to collapse even if I feel ridiculous and to just "Embrace the grind" as the wrestlers say. I know from business and from life that even the best pursuit has it's less than rewarding days. But success goes to those that endure. Besides, I am throwing way more exercise at my body than ever before, so inevitably it will pay off.
Since I am out of town on business, I might as well update my stats. I ended the dumbbell and pullup workout at 31 minutes.

April 5, 2010

Overhead Squat 5-5-5-5-5 reps

Did this one as Rx'd at 95, 115, 115, 115 (4 reps, fail, last rep), 95. Surprisingly difficult to keep it balanced.

April 6, 2010

Row 500 meters
150 Double-unders
50 Burpees

Impossible. I couldn't figure out the rowing machine numbers, so I did 350 strokes. Who knows how far I went. Then I did about a 100 jumps since I can't do double unders, followed by 20 burpees. I'm not even counting the breaks in the last two exercises. The jumping stuff just kills me. I don't jump out of bed in the morning, apparently.

Again, thank you for the encouragement. Tomorrow is a badly deserved rest day.

Scott Ewan 04-08-2010 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene (Post 765293)
Surprisingly difficult to keep it balanced.

Ha ha. Isn't it just! :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene (Post 765293)

Row 500 meters, 150 Double-unders, 50 Burpees

I couldn't figure out the rowing machine numbers, so I did 350 strokes. Who knows how far I went. Then I did about a 100 jumps since I can't do double unders, followed by 20 burpees. I'm not even counting the breaks in the last two exercises. The jumping stuff just kills me. I don't jump out of bed in the morning, apparently.

350 strokes would have taken you well beyond 500m (somewhere between 60 and 80 would have done it I think).
For double unders, I sub 4x the number of regular rope-jumps. I did 600 regular jumps for this WOD (and to be honest, it was a blessed relief compared to the burpees!).
I also hate the jumpy stuff - I think these exercises are where Pukie finds most of his friends ;)
Don't sweat it if you take breaks either - we all do it for one thing or another.

Just take the positives out of what you can do - don't dwell on what you have trouble with. The tough stuff will get better with time and effort.
At least you've gotten off your butt and have stood up to be counted. That's better than around 99% of the population!
Just keep plugging away. :pepper:

Benjamin R. Greene 04-09-2010 07:16 PM

So true. I appreciate the encouragement and support. I must say, the atmosphere on this site in general is a refreshing break from the vicious, mean, and racist comments that seem to ruin every well-meaning internet blog site. A big "thank you" to the moderators and members who, at least from what I have seen so far, have created a positive and supportive community. I also play Team Fortress 2 online, and wow, it's not a pretty picture. I have seen episodes that have made me just stop playing for a while, and I'm not that sensitive. The one percent nut jobs spend a lot of time on the internet playing video games, apparently, and they feel free to really let it all hang out.
Also, does anyone have any advice for coming home from one of those brutal days at the job and trying to face up to the WOD? I am an attorney, and I do criminal defense as one of my specialties, and I had two murder cases I tried to negotiate in court today. Needless to say, it was an emotionally wrenching day. Dealing with the clients and their families was just extremely difficult. I came home just wrung out. Any suggestions? Try to forge ahead with the WOD or wait for tomorrow when I will (hopefully) feel like doing something other than drinking vodka?
At this point, vodka is definitely in the lead.:wallbash:

Kevin Simons 04-09-2010 09:52 PM

Jeez man, that's super rough. I can hardly imagine.. the best advice I can give though, is to just do it. It can be really tough to garner the will power sometimes, but after a few weeks it will just become a habit. A hard workout can even be quite cathartic. Getting moving is the hardest part, but I can't think of a better way to clear your mind than once you get going. You might even find that the stressful days become when you look forward to something wholesome and simple like a grueling WOD the most. I hope that helps. Just get after it and it will get easier.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-10-2010 07:53 AM

Yeah, my traditional vodka and cheese-fests may be an important reason why people (almost always women) tell me, "Oh my God, I almost didn't recognize you since you have changed so much! Wow, you really got fat!"

"Uh, um, thank you, or something. I work out like crazy...":(

I must say, those moments, which seem to happen daily, are very motivating. At least now when I goof off, I feel horribly guilty about it.:o

I am going to buy some equipment to put in my garage so it is less of a mental hurdle to change clothes and go to the gym. No matter how frazzled I am, the gym is just steps away, so really, what's the excuse?

I think another important motivational moment will be when I work up to retesting some of my benchmarks. It will be nice to see improvements, and they will spur me to more effort.

I also will be attending my regional Cross-Fit Games as a spectator in May. I might as well go see what the advanced athletes can do after being trained. Hey, I'm only nine years away from being elgible to compete in the Masters Division.:rolleyes:

Benjamin R. Greene 04-10-2010 08:18 AM

Oh, one last motivational suggestion: Watch "Bully Beatdown" on MTV.
For those who are not familiar, the show features real-life evil thugs who torment the helpless, then are invited on the show to fight a real MMA fighter for money. The bullies are always huge, and many of them obviously lift weights and have intimidating physiques. But invariably the pro, of course, just pounds them like a drum. :D
The two most significant differentials I can see are the specific training in grappling and boxing the bullies lack, but also, just as important, the bullies' lack of functional fitness. The importance of anaerobic training, particularly stands out. Many of the bullies are just helpless sacks of potatoes after thirty seconds. Also, while bench pressing, for instance, may develop a big chest, a real life struggle happens in an infinity of positions and stresses and without supporting musculature, you're useless.
One of the most important reasons I got in to fitness and martial arts is the dangerousness of my job. I routinely deal with angry and potentially violent clients and their family members, including the mentally ill and people high on drugs or drunk. Many of them have lengthy criminal records, and administering one more :censored:-kicking isn't, shall we say, morally or legally objectionable. I have been assaulted in my office twice. It's considered by some folks a form of nontraditional interpersonal dispute resolution. So "Bully Beatdown" is more than just entertaining to me.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-10-2010 02:33 PM

Today's workout:

"DT"

Five rounds for time of:
155 pound Deadlift, 12 reps
155 pound Hang power clean, 9 reps
155 pound Push jerk, 6 reps

I figured I woulud do well on this one, since Olympic exercises are the easiest workouts for me. I underestimated the difficulty of this one, particularly as to the cardio effects and the strain on my forearms.

12x 155 deadlift
Failed at the 155 on cleans, dropped it to 135, then to 195
from then on, as Rx'd in 17:01. Major forearm challenge.

As a funny story, the guy next to me at the gym just spent the entire time staring at his physique in the mirror. For the whole seventeen minutes and one second, he just stood there and stared at himself, motionless. He had a jug of water and a protein shake with him if that got too exhausting. Perhaps if he cancelled his gym membership and just bought a mirror, he could work out at home.:D

Benjamin R. Greene 04-11-2010 12:17 PM

Today's workout:

Five rounds for time of:
135 pound Back squat, 20 reps
Handstand walk 20 yards

Since my barbell and weight set is still on order and I didn't feel like going down to my big box gym to have the meatheads laugh and point while I worked out, I figured I would just be creative and substitute for this one.

So, I did five rounds for time of:
Squats with my 120# wife on my back
Wall run, 20 touches

I figured with the added bulkiness and lack of balance to the weight, the squats would be about right. And the wall runs were plenty challenging.

I did it in 20:35 (approximately).

My kids joined me, with Erica using Taylor in 16:01, and Jacob using Joseph (DNF).

I am definitely getting some great workouts on this routine. Every workout is very challenging in it's own way. I want to go six months and challenge my personal records in the pull up, mile run, deadlift, overhead press, bench, and squat. Hopefully, in late September, I will shock myself.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-12-2010 08:25 AM

Oh wow. Yesterday's workout just killed me. My legs are very sore and my shoulders are hurting from the wall runs, too. Even my stomach muscles are sore. Unless some miracle happens by tonight, there is no way I can do "Erin", another exercise that hits the shoulders. I can either sub something or, perhaps even better, just take a rest day.
Man, no one ever said getting in shape was easy.:(

Benjamin R. Greene 04-12-2010 09:12 AM

I forgot to record my beginning CFT scores: 365 on deadlift, 135 on press, 315 on squat, for a total of 815. Not bad for a beginner. I can't wait to check them again in six months.
Other benchmarks: 8 pullups, 8:31 mile run, 2:06 400 meter run, 0 muscle-ups, 51 sit-ups in 2 minutes. In MMA, I can beat Diamond and Big Dan at the Valley Fight Club, but Too Tall sent me to the emergency room. I'll recheck these in six months, too.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-13-2010 01:35 AM

More beginning numbers: 5 ring chin-ups, maybe two ring dips, maybe one chest to bar pull up. 3 mile run in 28:35. Max bench press 225. Body weight around 200, which is about down 10 lbs from my max. I am trying to remember everything so one day I can marvel at my incredible improvements, hopefully.:o

Benjamin R. Greene 04-14-2010 11:40 AM

I took yesterday off for two rest days of rest in a row. Oh well, I needed it. My legs and shoulders were so sore. Since I am in Ridgecrest on business, I have to make do with a small gym and limited resources, so I just made up my own WOD.

April 13, 2010

Run 800 meters: 3:49

2 minute rest

Run 800 meters: 3:29

Then I went to the gym and did 3 sets of five pullups, trying to get C2B on each, switching hand grips each time. Then I did two sets of assisted (40lbs) pullups of 5 each. My back was burned out at the end. However, I was somewhat impressed with my second 800 meter time. It took me forever to recover from it. But the splits do show that I am capable of a sub 8 minute mile, so that is an improvement.

I am going to try to finish the deadlift portion of Linda as Rx'd today. It is a preliminary test to see if Linda is acheivable.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-14-2010 04:22 PM

Well, I determined that Linda was way out of my league, at this point at least. I started the workout off by trying to deadlift 295 10 times. I got to 2 and failed. Then I repped 3 more singles before my body called it quits. :(

At that point, I decided to try for a new 1 rep max on bench press. I managed to set a recent PR and tie my lifetime PR of 245. :) I actually hit the supports with the bar on both sides on the way up, so I figure I might be able to do 255 if I hadn't have done from 205 to 245 as a warmup.

Then I went to the park and ran 3 rounds of two minute sprints, separated by one minute breaks. I was really trying for five rounds, but a little breeze kicked up in my face and I just quit.

In macroeconomics, experts speak of the phenomenon of the "revolution of rising expectations". Third world people who have improving economic conditions buy televisions, and become exposed to the type of lifestyle people live on "Friends". This causes them to be unhappy since, although their living standards are improving enormously, they still don't have the type of lives American yuppies live.

I think I am experiencing my own version of this. Even though my level of fitness has improved enormously in the recent past, I am now being exposed to the "PRs" of the world class athletes on this site, so I feel frustrated because I can't compare to them.

I need to just relax and not get frustrated. I am already seeing improvement, and I have only being doing this a little over two weeks. In six months or a year I will be setting new records every time I test myself. I notice my notorious lack of stamina on the runs seems to be improving, for instance.

Also, I need to pat myself on the back for continuing to try despite being out of town on business and being sore and tired sometimes. I am hanging in there and staying on track. Even if some days my workouts are a little easier, like today, I am trying to advance my fitness by keeping to my scheduled workout routine.:highfive:

Kevin Simons 04-14-2010 07:42 PM

Dude, you are doing great! Linda is one seriously brutal b****. I came from from a powerlifting background, and that was the only WOD I've gotten a DNF in. Puked 26 minutes in and had to quit my first time with her. A lot of CrossFitters consider that to be one of the toughest workouts even after months of training. Don't get discouraged!

And keep in mind that the group of people who write in this forum, and particularly those who keep workout logs, are not a good representation of the average CrossFitter. People here are crazy dedicated and usually have spent years in this type of training. They are firebreathers. If you aspire to these levels, you will certainly get there. It just takes some time.

You've been doing great, consistently hitting the WODs hard and staying on track. When repeat WODs start coming up a few months down the line, I promise you are going to be stoked by the progress you have made!

Benjamin R. Greene 04-15-2010 11:26 PM

Kevin, as always, I appreciate your encouragement!:thanx:

One of my sons, who is six years old, is studying gymnastics. They are teaching him the back bend, which he is struggling with because he always bonks his little head. He was frustrated and mentioned that he wanted to quit. I explained to him that every pursuit has its difficult moments and challenging times, and that perserverance pays off. I was able to use several examples, but also pointed out that I am continuing to pursue my fitness goals despite the occaisional obstacle. I am trying to be a good role model in that respect. Also, to my delight, my fifteen year old daughter, Erica, has expressed an interest in starting CrossFit workouts.

I completely agree with your observations that the people who are contributing to the CrossFit site are, no doubt, unrepresentative of the population of people following the workouts, much less the athletic population in general. I notice that many of the workout logs posted on the main site, for instance, represent outstanding achievements by a tiny percentage of elite athletes. Certainly comparing your times and performances to them is somewhat unrealistic for a beginner. Whenever I get too depressed, I just think of the guy who stared at his reflection in the gym mirror for the entire seventeen minutes and one second that my workout took. Hey, I'm trying harder than somebody.:)

I have also proven that my lifestyle is not incompatible with my fitness goals. Despite frequently having to travel and work long hours, I can still get in good workouts. The keys are creativity and hitting the workout as soon as I get off work. If I use whatever tools are available and make sure I do it before I get too relaxed, I can keep it up.

Tomorrow I will go to the Valley Fight Club for the first time in a month and see if the heavy emphasis on anaerobic cardio makes a difference in my MMA performance. I am betting it will. I was pretty strong and technical, but I tended to get winded thirty seconds into the fight and get totally exhausted after about two minutes. I have tapped out, to my shame, just because I felt like I was about to have a heart attack.:yikes:

I have noticed that my cardio has improved in the sprint drills, and I'm sure I will pose more of a challenge to Too Tall this time. And if I was in better shape than Big Dan a month ago, just imagine now.:evilsmile There are several professional fighters who train at that gym, so I can really measure my performance against some trained athletes.

Also, tomorrow, my new gym equipment arrives: An Olympic bar and some bumpers. I am going to move my existing equipment from my house into the garage and buy a pull-up and dip bar set as well. By the end of the year I will have a fabulous home gym that will be the envy of the CrossFit community.:D

Scott Ewan 04-16-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene (Post 769768)
Also, to my delight, my fifteen year old daughter, Erica, has expressed an interest in starting CrossFit workouts.

Nice one !!
I wish I could engender that interest from my boys!
I've managed to get the oldest (13 years old) to try a few "park" workouts and some Oly progressions but his interest comes and goes (mostly goes ;)).
If you have any more success with your kids, share it with us - it's bound to help.

btw You clearly need no more encouragement for yourself - I can see you're hooked :D... seriously though - you're doing great - getting stronger and taking on some of the scariest WODs. :pepper:

Benjamin R. Greene 04-16-2010 01:58 AM

Yes, my name is Ben, and I'm a workout addict. I have been abstinent from working out for 30 hours...:D

Yes, finally an addiction that I can talk about in public without people giving me funny looks.:)

It has been a great way to deal with my high-stress job. "I'm strong enough, I'm fast enough, and by golly, people like me..."

Benjamin R. Greene 04-17-2010 12:03 AM

Well, worked a full day with all kinds of crazy stress, then helped my wife drive her daughter to visitation. A nice 12 hour day, with no time for workouts. :(

Momma said there would be days like these. This is the second two day break this week.:mad: I need to step my game up.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-17-2010 10:28 AM

I just tried to do the Muscle Up on the rings. Very discouraging. I couldn't even begin to do a dip on the rings, no matter how much I cheated. Sigh.

Kevin Simons 04-17-2010 01:13 PM

Rings are tough dude. There aren't many other situations where one moves in a frictionless plane. But it is certainly worth the effort to learn. Here is a quote from an interesting conversation in another thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Callahan (Post 768752)
If you can do handstands, dips, push-ups on the rings it will make the same exercise on stable ground easier. THIS IS NOT BECAUSE RINGS ARE UNSTABLE!!! Rings are inherently stable actually. What Rings ARE is a frictionless plane. This means that any amount of force directed anywhere but straight down causes the rings to move.

The reason Rings are so effective is because they force you to train your body to ONLY direct force the direction you need it to go. You must control your body and not allow any extraneous effort in other directions. When a person does a normal push-up they are not just pushing down against the ground, they are wasting energy pushing in several different directions without really knowing it. You take that same person and put them on the rings for push-ups and they will have a hard time controlling the rings. Once they do get control though, and get comfortable doing push-ups on the rings they will have better control of their body and will be able to better direct their pushing force in ONLY the direction they want it to go, down. Now take them back to the ground and push-ups will be easier BECAUSE they are no longer wasting energy. All their energy expended goes to pushing straight down against the ground.

Work up to it. Practice holding yourself in a support above the rings and see how long you can go. Lower them and work on push-ups and body rows. Put your feet up on a box or high chair and see if you can do dips that way. Just play around. The more time you spend on the rings the more comfortable you will become on them.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-17-2010 07:35 PM

Good suggestions. I will put them into practice tomorrow.

I am still assembling the equipment for my home gym, and still conditioning my body for the CrossFit workouts, so I still substitute my own made up workouts with the equipment I do have.

Today, I did pullups on the rings: 6 (PR), 2, 1

Then 3 minutes doing alternating one arm swings to face level with a 35 lb kettlebell. It was by far a personal record, since previously despite hard effort I could only get to 2 minutes. Big difference.:highfive:

Then I did two 3 minute rounds using fists on the heavy bag. Then I finished up with about 40 seconds of Farmer's Walk using two 50 lb. dumbbells.

Right after I finished my workout, I laid down on the couch and went to sleep. I guess I can't ask anything more from myself than a workout to sheer exhaustion.

I like my new hobby. It is a much healthier stress reliever than drinking until unconsciousness, my previous hobby.

My garage gym is really coming along. By the time all the equipment I ordered arrives, I will be able to do lots of exercises in the privacy and convenience of my own home. Even though I tried to keep it basic, the total cost of what I bought this week was about $2300. ($800 for flooring, $1500 for Olympic weights and accoutrements.) If someday I just go back to lifting vodka shots, my wonderful garage gym will stare at me and remind me of my commitment to fitness. Believe it or not, I had to stop myself from buying even more stuff. My wife was like, "Next month, Ben. Take it easy..." By the end of the year, my garage gym will be as well equipped as any affiliate anywhere, at least for one person. And I will have no excuse not to be in Navy Seal shape.:)

Dustin Standel 04-17-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene (Post 770611)
Good suggestions. I will put them into practice tomorrow.

I am still assembling the equipment for my home gym, and still conditioning my body for the CrossFit workouts, so I still substitute my own made up workouts with the equipment I do have.

Today, I did pullups on the rings: 6 (PR), 2, 1

Then 3 minutes doing alternating one arm swings to face level with a 35 lb kettlebell. It was by far a personal record, since previously despite hard effort I could only get to 2 minutes. Big difference.:highfive:

Then I did two 3 minute rounds using fists on the heavy bag. Then I finished up with about 40 seconds of Farmer's Walk using two 50 lb. dumbbells.

Right after I finished my workout, I laid down on the couch and went to sleep. I guess I can't ask anything more from myself than a workout to sheer exhaustion.

I like my new hobby. It is a much healthier stress reliever than drinking until unconsciousness, my previous hobby.

My garage gym is really coming along. By the time all the equipment I ordered arrives, I will be able to do lots of exercises in the privacy and convenience of my own home. Even though I tried to keep it basic, the total cost of what I bought this week was about $2300. ($800 for flooring, $1500 for Olympic weights and accoutrements.) If someday I just go back to lifting vodka shots, my wonderful garage gym will stare at me and remind me of my commitment to fitness. Believe it or not, I had to stop myself from buying even more stuff. My wife was like, "Next month, Ben. Take it easy..." By the end of the year, my garage gym will be as well equipped as any affiliate anywhere, at least for one person. And I will have no excuse not to be in Navy Seal shape.:)

Wow...Balls to the Wall into the new lifestyle...

Best of luck to you in your efforts to improve your life and your families.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-17-2010 10:50 PM

Thank you very much. The blessing and the curse of my personality is that I go into things all the way or not at all. My wife calls me an "extremist" in everything I choose to do, whether it be business, my family, or whatever. It's hard to argue with that when we are having our seventh child. :p

I prefer to think of myself as committed to excellence. Anything I choose to do, I want to be as successful as I can be at it. I think it's important for me to remember that it takes time to go from the couch to the CrossFit regionals and my body and psychology need to adjust at their own speed. I hope next year to at least attend the Sectionals as a competitor.

I have to say I am getting a lot of positive emotional feedback from my increased feelings of self-esteem from doing these workouts. I used to just relax all weekend and then wonder Sunday night if I had really accomplished anything worthwhile. Well, now I have accomplishments I can celebrate every day.:)

Benjamin R. Greene 04-18-2010 02:07 PM

As promised, today was a day to focus on the rings, an area I have tremendous challenges in.

I started with a half mile run in 3:29.

Then three rounds of 10 ring pushups followed by 5 second holds in starting dip position with feet up on a bench. Believe it or not, despite my 245 lb bench press, that was the best I could do on the rings. Those are instant humility.:o

Stephen R. Lampl 04-19-2010 01:08 AM

Hi Ben,

I wanted to stop by and visit your log (love the title). Welcome to CrossFit....you have obviously "tasted the Kool Aid". I tend to be what my wife calls "obsessive" in terms of my devotion to CF, but it does that to you. I can honestly say that before my 4 month hiatus at the end of last year, I was easily in the best shape of my life, even though I have been pretty active and fit most of my years. I getting back into it, though.

You are really doing a great job with your workouts. Your CFT for someone with such a relatively "short" CF workout history is awesome. Obviously the lifting and pretty solid fitness background helps. But don't be afraid to scale the workouts to your ability. "Linda", as Kevin said, is a b**** and one of the most difficult CF workouts. It's also called "the Three Bars of Death" for good reason. I haven't even attempted it yet in my year and a half of CF, in that my form for cleans is awful, but I am working on it. There is simply no reason that I have not tried it scaled to my ability.

Also, be certain you are taking in enough food (primarily protein) to support your workouts. You are hitting it pretty hard and for a guy your size, with less than 20% body fat, you should probably be taking in 23 blocks of protein a day (each block being 7 grams), with your total equaling about 160 grams or so (1 gram per pound of lean body weight).

Best wishes on your trek down the CF road!