CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My Midlife Crisis (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=56812)

Benjamin R. Greene 04-03-2010 06:40 PM

Re: My Midlife Crisis

Well, sometimes you go for personal records, sometimes you just try to survive and finish the workout. This was definitely one I just tried to force myself to finish.
1600 meters in 8.29
1200 meters in 8:11
800 meters in 5:28
400 meters in 2:08

Total time for workout: 30:16

At least I can say I'm doing the workouts, even the ones that aren't particularly suited for short, fat, middle-aged guys.

Kevin Simons 04-03-2010 08:04 PM

Great work man! You seem like a really nice guy and I wish you all the best on your journey. A word of advice, you should really write out what the WOD was on here (or just copy and paste from mainsite). It will help you remember exactly what you've done when you look back on it later, and it will be easier to track your progress. Keep up the good work and keep posting. Having buddies watching your log is a great way to keep yourself accountable. Good luck!

Benjamin R. Greene 04-06-2010 12:54 AM

Thank you for your tip and encouragement! I will start keeping track immediately.

By the way, your numbers are HUGE! I can only dream of such Olympian feats. I am in awe. :king:

On to today's workout:

For time:
10 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
1 Weighted pull-up
9 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
2 Weighted pull-ups
8 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
3 Weighted pull-ups
7 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
4 Weighted pull-ups
6 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
5 Weighted pull-ups
5 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
6 Weighted pull-ups
4 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
7 Weighted pull-ups
3 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
8 Weighted pull-ups
2 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
9 Weighted pull-ups
1 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
10 Weighted pull-ups

Use 25, 45, or 65 pound dumbbells. Use one of the C&J dumbbells as the load for the weighted pull-ups. Placing the dumbbell between legs crossed at the ankles works very well.

Post load and time to comments.

Yeah, this one sucked. I had 45 lb dumbells and a 20 lb weight vest. Ditched the weight vest the third round. Jumped on the last pullup on the round of 6. Finally, my back and arms just quit on the C&J round of 4.
On the positive side, sort of, I had to struggle just to talk myself into just attempting the workout. My back and shoulders had really hurt since the Tabata WOD. They had just started to feel better.
On the motivational side I had 3 people tell me in the last 24 hours how much fatter I looked and that I had obviously been pigging out, etc.:mad: Then, bizarrely, one person told me I had lost so much fat that she could hardly recognize me. Um, which is it, folks? Anyway, I am definitely getting a complex.
Speaking of which, I am so hungry since I started this workout I eat about every two hours, like a newborn. I don't know if that is a good thing, with all the comments I have been getting....:( I don't think people understand or care how hurtful it is to be told how terrible I look when I am working out like a madman and at least trying to eat more healthy food. Jeez.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-06-2010 12:58 AM

Run 1600 meters
Rest 3 minutes
Run 1200 meters
Rest 2 minutes
Run 800 meters
Rest 1 minute
Run 400 meters

This was April 3, 2010's workout.

Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.

This was April 2's workout.

Split Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

This was April 1's workout.

Seven rounds for time of:
185 pound Front squat, 3 reps
7 L-pull-ups

March 30, 2010

Five rounds for time of:
40 Double-unders
30 Box jumps, 24 inch box
20 Kettlebell swings, 1.5 pood

March 29, 2010

Thruster 3-3-3-3-3-3-3

March 28, 2010, the first Cross-Fit workout I ever did. Now I can refer back to my history of workouts if I want to see what I have done and compare times.

Kevin Simons 04-06-2010 11:21 AM

Yeah that C+J/ Pull-up WOD looks pretty tough to me too. Did you write down your time? Even if it wasn't prescribed or whatever, the more quantifiable you can make your log the better. I guarantee it will be encouraging as hell when it comes up 6 months from now and you destroy your previous numbers.

As to the comments, who was making them? It could just have been circumstantial. Maybe it was a tough day in the workplace, or you were in an off-putting mood or wearing unflattering clothing or something. But it could also be that your friends and family were giving you honest feedback to support you and your goals. Maybe something you are doing needs a small tweak or change. I suggest taking pictures in the bathroom mirror once a week, and you will be able to more objectively observe your progress.

The most important thing is that you are making a valiant effort to improve yourself! I promise you are moving in the right direction for that fact alone. It can take a bit of a learning curve to find out what exactly works best for you. If you keep tracking progress and making changes, we'll definitely be able to optimize those results.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm going to keep going for a moment haha. It is pretty normal for the metabolism to speed up when one starts working out, but it could still be possible that you are overcompensating with how much you are eating. On average it takes at least 2.5 to three hours to digest a meal. Two hours isn't long enough to wait. I'm not sure how paleo your intake is, but it sounds to me like you could just be craving sugar/carbs. This is not the same as being hungry. After you have been on a strict paleo diet for a month or two you will be able to feel the difference.

Keep hitting those WODs hard like you are doing. If your numbers are improving, it is almost a guarantee that form will follow function. You can also post a food log for us to critique if you feel so inclined. Don't get discouraged. You are doing great!

Benjamin R. Greene 04-07-2010 05:36 PM

Wow, thank you for the help and support. I am forcing myself to keep going to collapse even if I feel ridiculous and to just "Embrace the grind" as the wrestlers say. I know from business and from life that even the best pursuit has it's less than rewarding days. But success goes to those that endure. Besides, I am throwing way more exercise at my body than ever before, so inevitably it will pay off.
Since I am out of town on business, I might as well update my stats. I ended the dumbbell and pullup workout at 31 minutes.

April 5, 2010

Overhead Squat 5-5-5-5-5 reps

Did this one as Rx'd at 95, 115, 115, 115 (4 reps, fail, last rep), 95. Surprisingly difficult to keep it balanced.

April 6, 2010

Row 500 meters
150 Double-unders
50 Burpees

Impossible. I couldn't figure out the rowing machine numbers, so I did 350 strokes. Who knows how far I went. Then I did about a 100 jumps since I can't do double unders, followed by 20 burpees. I'm not even counting the breaks in the last two exercises. The jumping stuff just kills me. I don't jump out of bed in the morning, apparently.

Again, thank you for the encouragement. Tomorrow is a badly deserved rest day.

Scott Ewan 04-08-2010 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene (Post 765293)
Surprisingly difficult to keep it balanced.

Ha ha. Isn't it just! :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene (Post 765293)

Row 500 meters, 150 Double-unders, 50 Burpees

I couldn't figure out the rowing machine numbers, so I did 350 strokes. Who knows how far I went. Then I did about a 100 jumps since I can't do double unders, followed by 20 burpees. I'm not even counting the breaks in the last two exercises. The jumping stuff just kills me. I don't jump out of bed in the morning, apparently.

350 strokes would have taken you well beyond 500m (somewhere between 60 and 80 would have done it I think).
For double unders, I sub 4x the number of regular rope-jumps. I did 600 regular jumps for this WOD (and to be honest, it was a blessed relief compared to the burpees!).
I also hate the jumpy stuff - I think these exercises are where Pukie finds most of his friends ;)
Don't sweat it if you take breaks either - we all do it for one thing or another.

Just take the positives out of what you can do - don't dwell on what you have trouble with. The tough stuff will get better with time and effort.
At least you've gotten off your butt and have stood up to be counted. That's better than around 99% of the population!
Just keep plugging away. :pepper:

Benjamin R. Greene 04-09-2010 07:16 PM

So true. I appreciate the encouragement and support. I must say, the atmosphere on this site in general is a refreshing break from the vicious, mean, and racist comments that seem to ruin every well-meaning internet blog site. A big "thank you" to the moderators and members who, at least from what I have seen so far, have created a positive and supportive community. I also play Team Fortress 2 online, and wow, it's not a pretty picture. I have seen episodes that have made me just stop playing for a while, and I'm not that sensitive. The one percent nut jobs spend a lot of time on the internet playing video games, apparently, and they feel free to really let it all hang out.
Also, does anyone have any advice for coming home from one of those brutal days at the job and trying to face up to the WOD? I am an attorney, and I do criminal defense as one of my specialties, and I had two murder cases I tried to negotiate in court today. Needless to say, it was an emotionally wrenching day. Dealing with the clients and their families was just extremely difficult. I came home just wrung out. Any suggestions? Try to forge ahead with the WOD or wait for tomorrow when I will (hopefully) feel like doing something other than drinking vodka?
At this point, vodka is definitely in the lead.:wallbash:

Kevin Simons 04-09-2010 09:52 PM

Jeez man, that's super rough. I can hardly imagine.. the best advice I can give though, is to just do it. It can be really tough to garner the will power sometimes, but after a few weeks it will just become a habit. A hard workout can even be quite cathartic. Getting moving is the hardest part, but I can't think of a better way to clear your mind than once you get going. You might even find that the stressful days become when you look forward to something wholesome and simple like a grueling WOD the most. I hope that helps. Just get after it and it will get easier.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-10-2010 07:53 AM

Yeah, my traditional vodka and cheese-fests may be an important reason why people (almost always women) tell me, "Oh my God, I almost didn't recognize you since you have changed so much! Wow, you really got fat!"

"Uh, um, thank you, or something. I work out like crazy...":(

I must say, those moments, which seem to happen daily, are very motivating. At least now when I goof off, I feel horribly guilty about it.:o

I am going to buy some equipment to put in my garage so it is less of a mental hurdle to change clothes and go to the gym. No matter how frazzled I am, the gym is just steps away, so really, what's the excuse?

I think another important motivational moment will be when I work up to retesting some of my benchmarks. It will be nice to see improvements, and they will spur me to more effort.

I also will be attending my regional Cross-Fit Games as a spectator in May. I might as well go see what the advanced athletes can do after being trained. Hey, I'm only nine years away from being elgible to compete in the Masters Division.:rolleyes: