CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What's in your fridge? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=53881)

Nathan Kulas 12-16-2009 08:12 PM

What's in your fridge?

Trying to improve my diet - I don't think I could go strict Paleo or Zone - we eat whole grains in my house - my wife bakes home made bread, etc.

However, I would like to lean more towards a veggie/fruit/protein based diet - but have trouble incorporating new veggies into the mix.

What do the contents of your fridge look like (aside from leftovers) and how do you incorporate the items into your daily diet?

Mark Rogers 12-16-2009 08:30 PM

Re: What's in your fridge?

My diet is pretty much out of the book Born to Run. I eat a cup of pineapple, cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries or grapes at lunch and dinner. I'll roast squash and zucchini with some olive oil and peppers for a night snack. I also eat pita pockets with spinach, homemade hummus and a bean (lentils, adzuki, black or pinto usually). I get protein from the beans, milk and cheese sticks. I did Zone for a few months so I try to keep the ratio to no more than 55 carbs and the rest proteins and fats. I also eat quinoa and eggs most mornings...I don't eat bread or rice and have hardly eaten meat the last few months.

Jason Flora 12-16-2009 10:18 PM

My wife is Paleo and I go more for Zone foods.... I do around 22 blocks, but have been slacking in the carb department here lately... I do Zone Bars with peanut butter for snacks at work, due to the lack of time....
Needless to say I have come along way, as compared to my single days...:shrug:
My lifts and WODs are still improvong and I have set several PR's within the last month...

Katherine Derbyshire 12-16-2009 10:44 PM

Right this minute?
Eggs, butter, milk, beef
carrots, celery, green onions, bell pepper, parsley
Assorted condiments, yeast, assorted pickles
Three or four different cheeses

In the freezer:
Beef, chicken, ground beef, ground bison -- probably enough for a week or two altogether
Beef and chicken bones for making stock
assorted frozen veggies
ice cream

In the pantry:
garlic, ginger, fresh chilis
rice, egg noodles, pasta, flour, corn meal (yes, I know, get over it)
potatoes, onions, apples, lemons, pistachios
canned tomatoes and tomato sauce
assorted spices and cooking oils (olive, peanut, sesame, corn)

Last meal cooked: beef stew with onions, potatoes, and carrots
Next meal planned: beef with oyster sauce, rice, veggie to be named

Katherine

William Poehner 12-16-2009 11:23 PM

Below are a couple staple food in my house hold...

Freezer: Chicken breast, Fish(salmon and white), ground beef and frozen green beans

Fridge: Celery, broccoli, spinach, carrots and avocados... ohh lots of eggs!

In the pantry: Tuna, squash(any type) peanut butter and almonds

This is about 80-90 percent of what I eat, with the occasional cheat day!

Andrew Thompson 12-16-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rogers (Post 711659)
My diet is pretty much out of the book Born to Run. I eat a cup of pineapple, cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries or grapes at lunch and dinner. I'll roast squash and zucchini with some olive oil and peppers for a night snack. I also eat pita pockets with spinach, homemade hummus and a bean (lentils, adzuki, black or pinto usually). I get protein from the beans, milk and cheese sticks. I did Zone for a few months so I try to keep the ratio to no more than 55 carbs and the rest proteins and fats. I also eat quinoa and eggs most mornings...I don't eat bread or rice and have hardly eaten meat the last few months.

Do you drink chia frescas? I think they called it "iskiate" in the book.

Katherine Derbyshire 12-17-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 711690)
In the pantry:
garlic, ginger, fresh chilis
rice, egg noodles, pasta, flour, corn meal (yes, I know, get over it)
potatoes, onions, apples, lemons, pistachios
canned tomatoes and tomato sauce
assorted spices and cooking oils (olive, peanut, sesame, corn)

Oh yeah, and several kinds of dried beans, including black, red, and pinto.

Katherine

Tony Sutton 12-17-2009 04:52 AM

Hey Nathan,

Do you workout at the affiliate in Brunswick?

Maine has a plethora of awesome squash to choose from this time of year. I enjoy trying to eat locally, as well as seasonally. Right now I have alot of butternut squash, delicata (small squash with tigar like stripes), carrots, onions and apples. With squash I havent been bored yet, It has been the main ingredient in most of my dishes this fall. It can be sweet, savory, spicey, whatever you please.

Other then that, to supplement my farmers market purchases, usually whatever catches my eye at the store. Broccoli, zucchini, tomatos, cucumbers.

I usually buy mostly the same type of veggie but I learn to prepare them differently. Sometimes Ill find a recipe for a veggie soup and then just throw some meat in there. Be creative, have fun!

James Rollo 12-17-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 711690)
Right this minute?
Eggs, butter, milk, beef
carrots, bell pepper,
Assorted condiments, assorted pickles
Three or four different cheeses

In the freezer:
Beef, chicken, ground beef, -- probably enough for a week or two altogether
assorted frozen veggies
ice cream - Vanilla and Coffee

Katherine

Took out the stuff I don't have. haha

Add Beer and Bacon for the Fridge
Add Shrimp, Pork Chops, BACON, Egg Rolls & Wontons(Roomate's Father's Neighbor makes them, haha), 2 Tombstone Pizza's(For roomates and friends) for freezer.

Don't know whats in my Pantry. There is bread and assorted cereals on top of the fridge that my roomates eat.

Renee Lee 12-17-2009 07:15 AM

Freezer:
Chicken broth, chicken fat, goose fat, beef suet i haven't rendered yet.
cranberries, coconut milk ice cream (chocolate and coconut), broccoli?
chicken thighs, shrimp, deer tenderloin, beef cut up and marinated for jerky, bacon

Fridge:
blueberries, apples, cranberries, cabbage, chicken broth/fat, lard, bacon, bacon fat, onions, shallots, ground pork, ground beef, bacon, chicken thighs, 3 dozen eggs, coconut blueberry paleo muffins, coconut milk

for my non paleo dad: milk, cheeses, orange juice, assorted condiments, beer