CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wallballs - Thrusters (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50263)

Brian Adams 08-20-2009 11:08 AM

Wallballs - Thrusters

So I always sub thrusters for wallballs since I don't have the equipment. Now for today's WOD of 150 wallballs I'm thinking it's likely you don't catch the ball for all 150 reps. So for a more realistic sub should I be cleaning the dumbbells from the floor(ankles)?

Matt Haxmeier 08-20-2009 11:13 AM

Re: Wallballs - Thrusters

I would say that I catch the ball 90% of the time or more. I usually only drop it on the end of a set of 10 or so. And even then I break the fall so the ball doesn't land on the floor full force. I only drop it on accident once or twice. So the fact that you are picking the bar off the floor at the beginning of a set is probably fine. Cleaning from the floor every time would be overkill.

What weight are you using?

Marcel Zwinger 08-20-2009 11:24 AM

so you are aiming for ONE set of 150 thrusters?

Brian Adams 08-20-2009 11:37 AM

20# ball would be 20# dumbbells as sub right? I can do sets of 30 probably. I should go heavier I think...

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 08-20-2009 11:39 AM

An additional question I have is:

I have access to only a 10lb med ball... but have all sorts of dumbbells. Should I do like 15lb DB thrusters, or just use the med ball? I'm thinking the thrusters will wreck me worse :)

Kevin Thomas 08-20-2009 11:42 AM

[QUOTE=Lawrence "Bo" Boland III;648303]An additional question I have is:

I have access to only a 10lb med ball... but have all sorts of dumbbells. Should I do like 15lb DB thrusters, or just use the med ball? I'm thinking the thrusters will wreck me worse :)[/QUOTE]

Do you have access to a higher target? I'd try for a 15' target as a sub if you didn't have a heavy enough med ball.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 08-20-2009 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=Kevin Thomas;648308]Do you have access to a higher target? I'd try for a 15' target as a sub if you didn't have a heavy enough med ball.[/QUOTE]

I can arrange that... good idea.

Blair Robert Lowe 08-20-2009 03:16 PM

The sub is that the thrusters should be 2x as heavy as the standard rx ball.

Eddie Watts 08-24-2009 07:42 AM

[QUOTE=Blair Robert Lowe;648437]The sub is that the thrusters should be 2x as heavy as the standard rx ball.[/QUOTE]

this.
and they do suck more imo

Greg Crawford 08-24-2009 09:04 AM

[QUOTE=Blair Robert Lowe;648437]The sub is that the thrusters should be 2x as heavy as the standard rx ball.[/QUOTE]

Deferring to Blair's rules of course, but I recommend scaling appropriately here if necessary, b/c the sub is almost a punishment in this instance, as I have found an equal number of 40#DB thrusters to be MUCH harder than 20# wallball. (I find that an intense 30# DB thruster (1 DB) is a much closer approximation to a 20# wallball - but then I'm still a noob (January) too. :D)