CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   {TKA} Total Knee Arthroplasty (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=73041)

Sean Rockett 04-04-2012 08:03 PM

Re: {TKA} Total Knee Arthroplasty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Nadeau (Post 1049809)
Surgery went well
PAIN after surgery was incredibly BAD!!!
The next day not as bad walking with crutches
Third day itís a dull ache and Iím home, using one crutch
Ortho doctors have me on Percocet, blood thinners and iron pills
Working on range of motion now and strengthening exercises

Sorry you are in pain I have been doing this local anesthetic injection, started in Australia, of 3 drugs recently where people are sitting in the recovery room asking if they had surgery or not lifting their legs and bending their knees with 2 out of 10 pain. If you have another one ask your MD for the local anesthetic cocktail injection.

Pete Nadeau 04-07-2012 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Doing my homework; range of motion and strengthening exercises, swelling is going down. First visit to PT on Tuesday, hereís a picture without my stockings, I was checking my scar, and letting my leg get some air.

Pete Nadeau 04-16-2012 03:24 PM

Today
Stitches out, ROM just a couple more degrees till full extension and flexion. I know these last couple of degrees are going to be the hardest

Pete Nadeau 09-25-2012 07:41 PM

6 month up date Ortho checkup: Doctor said knee looks great, looks like you have been working hard, and strength is very good. So I asked what can I safely do, squats? Deadlifts? Shoulder press? Still no running, or jumping, I'm fine with that ran enough in the Army. He advises body weight squats or with light weight, same for Deadlifts and shoulder presses
Iíve researched a lot and there seem to be many contradictions, on what someone with a TKA can do, whatís the real deal?

Pete Nadeau 12-31-2012 05:51 PM

Tomorrow is 1 year since I injured my knee
Then: Tri-compartmental degeneration of the left knee
Today: my CoCr & Polymer Knee is doing great

Stephen Smith 12-31-2012 08:38 PM

Congrats on the recovery! :highfive: So what are you able to do with deadlifts and squats? My knees are holding up so far, but I've done some damage to them over the years, so something like this may be in my future...

Pete Nadeau 12-31-2012 10:27 PM

I do modified main site WODS; no running or jumping, I substitute sled drags and bicycling for running. I want my knee to last a long time so my Deadlifts, Squats, Power Cleans and Shoulder Press weights can't be too heavy. My progress is slow and steady by my choice. Deliberate and Controlled form on all WOD's and lifts. 205 to no more than 225 is my goal to achieve by 2 April 2013
As of December 2012 @ BW of 205
Deadlift: 225 x 15
Squat: 205 x 3
Power Clean: 185 x 3
Shoulder Press: 155 x 3
I'm Happy

John C Blattner 01-01-2013 09:08 AM

Speaking from the perspective of four weeks post-TKA, this is really encouraging, Pete. Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Greg Griffith 01-01-2013 10:29 AM

Keep up the good work Pete, sounds to me like you're doing it the right way. I have to agree with keeping the weights of dead lifts and squats down a bit, especially the first year.

John, it appears that your recovery is going well also. It is always interesting to see how other TKR cross fitters are doing. I don't think there many of us.

I don't post very much because I'm no expert on any of this, but my opinion based on my experience is to go slow and work on the best range of motion you can get on crossfit movements and don't worry about the weight so much. Sometimes that is hard to do.

I'm 18 months or so post TKR. Since last May I was having significant pain and swelling in my new knee. Fourteen days ago my doctor went back in to fix the problem. It had nothing to do with the hardware. That's rock solid. The problem was scar tissue and other soft tissue problems. So now, no matter how much my bone headed competitive urges kick in, I'm scaling back more.
It is not entirely clear what caused my problem, but I may very well have been doing too much too soon.

Pete Nadeau 01-04-2013 04:23 PM

It's been 9 months + 2 days since my TKA
"Fran"
21-15-9
Thrusters, 100# Sandbag
Pull-ups
03:55 Iím happy