CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's so dumb about curls? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=57716)

Jonny Blaylock 04-28-2010 04:59 AM

What's so dumb about curls?
 
I've read several comments here in which people have given the opinion that bicep curls are dumb or pointless.

I agree that they do not build functional strength; however, they do increase size of your bicep.

So here's my question: If you are doing crossfit, then you are working on you functional strength; so why would adding some curls here and there (on days where they won't interfere with the WOD of that day or the next day) be a dumb thing? Why not add a little more size or looks to what your getting with your functional strength?

I consider it extra credit.

Brian Degenaro 04-28-2010 05:13 AM

Re: What's so dumb about curls?
 
I consider curls and tricep extensions good for elbow health if you have bad elbows.

One could also argue they are functional for football and rugby players, at least in carrying the ball.

Wayne Riddle 04-28-2010 05:43 AM

Re: What's so dumb about curls?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny Blaylock (Post 775695)
I agree that they do not build functional strength; however, they do increase size of your bicep.

You answered your question there. Form or function? While doing doing curls can add to function, many people do it for form.

Quote:

So here's my question: If you are doing crossfit, then you are working on you functional strength; so why would adding some curls here and there (on days where they won't interfere with the WOD of that day or the next day) be a dumb thing? Why not add a little more size or looks to what your getting with your functional strength?
For me I could care squat about size or looks. I lift for fitness reasons and size and looks don't figure into that equation. True they may be a by-product of lifting, but it isn't something I'm going to measure my fitness by. I much rather work towards doing a BW overhead press then seeing how big my biceps can get.

If someone wants to do curls as an assistance exercise, go for it. I tend to do chin-ups, pull-ups, and dips, for assistance exercises (among others). A person needs to decide what their fitness goals are and then work towards those goals using what means they think are the best.

Frank Passalacqua 04-28-2010 05:46 AM

Re: What's so dumb about curls?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny Blaylock (Post 775695)
I've read several comments here in which people have given the opinion that bicep curls are dumb or pointless.

I agree that they do not build functional strength; however, they do increase size of your bicep.

So here's my question: If you are doing crossfit, then you are working on you functional strength; so why would adding some curls here and there (on days where they won't interfere with the WOD of that day or the next day) be a dumb thing? Why not add a little more size or looks to what your getting with your functional strength?

I consider it extra credit.

If you're looking to size up, curls are the way to go. I mix in some "banned" isolated movements simply bc I like to keep some size. I know people on here hate that kind of thing, but you gotta do what makes YOU happy. If bigger arms is what makes you happy, I say go for it.

Thomas Green 04-28-2010 05:48 AM

Re: What's so dumb about curls?
 
What Brian said + the size/definition benefits, and they improve your pulling strength for any exercise that uses the biceps (aka most of them).

The term "functional exercise" is a subjective one that I don't like. If they were forced to, anyone here could think of 10 reasons why the bicep curl is more "functional" than the squat or deadlift..

Tuomas Tiihonen 04-28-2010 05:56 AM

Re: What's so dumb about curls?
 
I think that (heavy) barbell curls are very good for forearm and bicep strength and lot of power/weightlifters and strongmen use it as well in their training.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 04-28-2010 05:57 AM

Re: What's so dumb about curls?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Green (Post 775715)
If they were forced to, anyone here could think of 10 reasons why the bicep curl is more "functional" than the squat or deadlift..

Functional? Sure I'll give them that. MORE functional that deadlifts or squats? A bit of a stretch. Main reason being that you sit/stand way more times in a day than you grab a bag of groceries, or whatever you can compare a bicep curl to.

Basically, just do them if they're in line with your goals.

Tamara Cohen 04-28-2010 06:01 AM

Re: What's so dumb about curls?
 
If it gives you the look you want, go for it. I'm not trying to increase the size of my biceps for looks, but if I was looking to focus on biceps, I'd much prefer to do weighted chinups. Because bicep curls are, well, boring. Then again, I don't care about a guy's biceps...I look at shoulders and @sses.

Ryan Webernick 04-28-2010 06:23 AM

Re: What's so dumb about curls?
 
I think in general most people don't have any problem with tossing in some supplemental arm work. I think the reason curls are frowned upon is due to the exaggerated attention they are given by some folks outside of Crossfit. I've known guys who actually have a "bicep day" where they do 3-5 sets of every curl imaginable.

Jason R O'Dell 04-28-2010 06:52 AM

Re: What's so dumb about curls?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Webernick (Post 775738)
I think in general most people don't have any problem with tossing in some supplemental arm work. I think the reason curls are frowned upon is due to the exaggerated attention they are given by some folks outside of Crossfit. I've known guys who actually have a "bicep day" where they do 3-5 sets of every curl imaginable.

I always heard that working the triceps and making them bigger are what gave you the most arm size anyway. So all the guys doing biceps to get "huge gunz" should probably be doing a "tricep day" instead of a "bicep day".
I don't see many guys doing 50 variations of the tricep pull-down though like they do the curl.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.