CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68244)

Luke Seubert 08-31-2011 04:40 PM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

Wednesday Weekly Trend and Bodyweight Update

Date: August 31, 2011 (Post delayed due to Hurricane Irene)

Today is the end of Week 17 of my fat loss regimen.

Last Week's Bodyweight Trend: 365.8 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight Trend: 364.2 lbs
Last Week's Bodyweight: 361.2 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight: 360.4 lbs
Beginning Date for Bodyweight Measurements - May 4, 2011 - Bodyweight: 425.6 lbs
Total Bodyweight Trend Lost to Date: 61.4 lbs
Total Bodyweight Lost to Date: 65.2 lbs

Comments
Well, I took a week off, and you can see part of the effects of this in this week's bodyweight data and bodyweight trend. Hurricane Irene hit, which meant that I couldn't exercise. There are no showers and I sweat a lot during exercise, so no exercise. It also meant that I was eating a lot of canned foods high in salt, along with some "Oh, I just don't care so I may as well eat some junk food" type of junk food. Monday and Tuesday show the big spikes on bodyweight as the salt from all this junk food added up lots of retained water. I cut back on the worst of the canned food as much as possible, and increased my water intake, and dumped the excess water weight by Wednesday. Still, that is water weight lost, not body fat, as my latest BFC readings show. So I am currently in a holding pattern until power is restored and I can get to the grocery store for proper, healthy, Paleo foods. That might be a few more days yet - hard to tell.

I have mixed feelings about this one-week plus setback. On the one hand, a hurricane did hit the area where I live, and hit it quite hard. Trees are down everywhere. The neighbors two lots up the road saw half their house crushed by a big tree. The neighbor just down the street had a huge tree crush his empty driveway, missing his house by five feet. So I do have a pretty good excuse for not dieting and exercising properly - much better than the dog ate my homework, anyway. However, I dislike any sort of setback like this. It is discouraging and puts me off my game. My 16 week trend of solid progress is broken. I was due to hit my 15% of bodyweight lost benchmark this week, but that is postponed until who knows when. It is hard to tell when I'll be back to my regular program. The line crews were working hard yesterday repairing the damage, but this morning, there were none to be found anywhere in the area. Who knows where they went.

Bodyweight and Trend for the Past Week
The Trend listed below is an exponential moving average with 10% smoothing. It tends to overstate current bodyweight as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic bodyweight readings and shows the actual bodyweight loss rate over time. An explanation of the "Trend" calculation's utility may be found in my previous post, "Turning Bodyweight Into A Semi-Useful Metric" (WFS).

______Date________Bodyweight_________Trend
Wed, 08/24/11_______361.2 lbs_______365.8 lbs
Thu, 08/25/11_______360.6 lbs_______365.3 lbs
Fri, 08/26/11_______362.2 lbs_______365.0 lbs
Sat, 08/27/11_______363.6 lbs_______364.9 lbs
Sun, 08/28/11_______362.6 lbs_______364.7 lbs
Mon, 08/29/11_______365.0 lbs_______364.7 lbs
Tue, 08/30/11_______364.0 lbs_______364.6 lbs
Wed, 08/31/11_______360.4 lbs_______364.2 lbs

Luke Seubert 08-31-2011 04:42 PM

Power crews got power restored on our street early Wednesday evening. So I can stop whining now, start exercising again, and eating proper and hot food for a change.

And wouldn't you just know it - tomorrow is Tabata Kettlebell Hell Day :)

Luke Seubert 09-01-2011 06:21 AM

WOD - Tabata Kettlebell Hell Day

Date: September 1, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 65 F
  • Humidity: 93%
  • Heat Index: 65 F

Comments
I set a new PR on the 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles walk, beating the old PR by 24 seconds with a drop of 3 BPM on the heart rate. Same work, less time, less effort - that is a good one. New rate of speed is 3.51 MPH. Had to dodge around a backhoe and a dump truck along the way - hurricane cleanup crews will be busy through next week.

Hurray! I finally finished a complete round of Tabata Kettlebell. This is a first for me. Given all the rest I enjoyed, I figured it would be a big disappointment if I didn't make it. My heart rate firewalled at 177 BPM, which is around about as high as I can go at my age. My legs started to feel rubbery towards the end, and I was breathing very hard, but I made it through. My form on the last few cycles wasn't pretty, but I can tighten that up as my fitness improves.

All in all, this was an excellent WOD for me.

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles (Old PR - 15:46 @ 142 BPM on 08/19/11, 3.42 MPH)
  • Time: 15:22, 3.51 MPH
  • Heart Rate: 139 BPM

Tabata Kettlebell Swings
20 seconds on, 10 seconds off. Repeat 8 times. 4 minutes per round.
  • Kettlebell Weight: 17 pounds
  • Swing: Two-handed Russian
  • Tabata Rounds Completed: 1 Round, 8 cycles
  • Rest Interval Between Rounds: n/a

Luke Seubert 09-02-2011 05:25 AM

WOD - Shovel Glove Fun Day (WFS)

Date: September 2, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 67 F
  • Humidity: 90%
  • Heat Index: 67 F

Comments
Given my sore and stiff muscles from yesterday's workout, especially the Tabata kettlebell, I took it easy today with my warmup walk. 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles done at a relatively slow pace.

I am glad I gave up the Dynamic Stretching routine. Since I stopped those stretching exercises, my lower back is better.

The Shovel Glove workout went well. I have finally gotten all the transitions down nice and smooth as I alternate from left to right. I have been checking out proper sledgehammers, and I think I will move up to an 8 pound sledgehammer fairly soon. I hefted a variety of them at the hardware store, and 8 pounds was just right. I am sure it will make the Shovel Glove routine much more rigorous than my faithful 2 pound aluminum baseball bat.

Warmup - 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles (Current PR - 18:31 @ 144 BPM on 07/26/11, 3.56 MPH)
  • Time: 19:34
  • Heart Rate: 128 BPM

Shovel Glove Medley (WFS)
60 seconds per exercise - AMRAP. 10 second rest interval between exercises. 2 pound aluminum baseball bat.
  1. Driving Fence Posts (WFS)
  2. Flip the Lever (WFS)
  3. Stoke the Oven (WFS)
  4. Hoist the Sack (WFS)
  5. Shovel (WFS)
  6. Pull Weeds (WFS)
  7. Chop Wood (WFS)
  8. Churning Butter (WFS)
  9. Chop the Tree (WFS)
  10. Moulinet (WFS)
  11. Tuck Bales (WFS)
  12. Fireman (WFS)
  13. Samurai Thrust (WFS)
  14. Paddle Canoe (WFS)
  15. Reaping the Wheat (WFS)
  16. Pump Water (WFS)

Luke Seubert 09-02-2011 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 979508)
Luke,

Since you like research, I've got another subject for you. This subject is almost never brought up here on the boards, yet I feel it's important.

Food combining.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, but only if you do some research first ;) No rush, take your time.

Hi Arturo,

When I find the time, I will research this further. However, be forewarned that finding solid, well done, scientific research on such a topic might prove difficult. One thing that Gary Taubes is absolutely right about in his books is that nutrition science is still an immature field of study, lacking truly rigorous scientific method and an overreaching paradigm. Nutrition is in the position today that geology and chemistry were in the early 20th and early 19th Century respectively - still gathering information in an attempt to make sense of it all.

Anyway, I'll look into it when I can and let you know what I find out.

Luke Seubert 09-03-2011 03:30 AM

WOD - Rest Day
  • Date: September 3, 2011

Comments
Wow! Am I ever glad it is a rest day. Late yesterday afternoon and evening I came down with a textbook case of DOMS from the Tabata kettlebell work on Thursday. Holy cow! My quadriceps, adductors, and hamstrings were hit hard, and my glutes to a lesser degree. I was stiff and sore, walking like a penguin, with a stiff-legged waddle as I tottered from side to side. Happily, it is better this morning, and I should be able to resume exercise come Sunday. Anyway, it is good to know that my exercise is reaching a high degree of intensity relative to my level of fitness. You know what they say, "Pain is the weakness leaving your body!" :)

I am pretty well set up for my next 3-On cycle. I fixed my medicine ball and cleaned up the yard yesterday, so I can do my Medicine Ball Medley. I have completed my first full round of Tabata Kettlebell, and I plan on repeating that one. And I am actively hunting a sledgehammer head to fit my sledgehammer handle, so I can make the Shovel Glove work much more intense. Hopefully I'll be able to get my sledgehammer put together this weekend.

Goals for Next 3-On Cycle
  • Continue revised, tougher Medicine Ball Medley
  • Continue doing 1 full round of Tabata Kettlebell
  • Upgrade to 8 pound sledgehammer for Shovel Glove

Luke Seubert 09-03-2011 04:01 AM

Saturday Weekly Body Measurements Update
Date: September 3, 2011

Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 936.5 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 938.0 cm
Beginning Date for Body Measurements - May 14, 2011 - Total Body Measurements: 1009.5
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 71.5 cm

Comments
Oddly, I am pleased with my progress this week. Yes, my TBM went up, but sometimes that is a deceptive number, and this is one of those times. The Big Three - Chest, Waist, and Hips - all went down by a centimeter. That is good news. My arms were mostly the same. However, my thighs and calves all went up, by a significant amount. Why? Swollen muscles undergoing Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness from Thursday's Tabata Kettlebell Hell Day workout. The swollen legs added 4.5 cm to my measurements, turning a modest loss into a slight gain. Considering that my bodyweight loss rate was slow this past week due to poor nutrition and lack of exercise, I am actually quite happy with losing fat on my chest, waist, and hips; and I'll gladly take some bigger leg measurements so long as they are a result of intense exercise. So yeah, despite the odd numbers, this was a good week.

Body Measurements for Last Week and This Week
An explanation about "Total Body Measurements" and how I use body measurements to assess fat loss over time may be found in my previous post, "The Humble Tape Measure: Simple But Oh So Useful" (WFS).

Right Thigh: 66.0 cm, 67.0 cm
Right Calf: 50.5 cm, 51.0 cm
Right Ankle: 28.0 cm, 28.0 cm

Left Thigh: 68.5 cm, 70.0 cm
Left Calf: 51.0 cm, 52.5 cm
Left Ankle: 28.5 cm, 29.0 cm

Right Arm: 38.0 cm, 38.0 cm
Right Forearm: 33.5 cm, 33.5 cm
Right Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Left Arm: 40.5 cm, 40.5 cm
Left Forearm: 34.0 cm, 34.0 cm
Left Wrist: 20.0 cm, 19.5 cm

Neck: 44.0 cm, 44.0 cm
Chest: 138.5 cm, 137.5 cm
Waist: 152.5 cm, 151.5 cm
Hips: 123.0 cm, 122.0 cm

Luke Seubert 09-03-2011 03:10 PM

So, What Do You Get For 50 Grams Of Net Carbohydrates?

Controlling carbohydrate intake can be helpful for losing fat. Paying attention to the quality of carbohydrates is very helpful for best health. One way lose fat and achieve good health is to compare the nutritional values of various foods based upon a given amount of net carbohydrates.

But what is net carbohydrate? Net carbohydrate is total grams of carbohydrates in a food, minus total grams of dietary fiber. From a digestive point of view, it is the carbohydrates that are converted into energy, or fat, and used by the body.

Below I have provided nutritional tables for various foods, based upon a serving size which yields 50 grams of net carbohydrates. For example, I begin with sugar. A 50 gram serving of sugar yields 50 grams of net carbohydrates and 193 calories, while a 104 gram serving of white bread yields 50 grams of net carbohydrates and 277 calories. (This information comes from the USDA Nutrient Database, provided through NutritionData.self.com - WFS)

The additional foods include whole wheat bread, baked potato with skin, cooked shiitake mushrooms, raw carrots, boiled eggplants, raw tomatoes, and boiled mixed greens comprised of equal amounts of spinach, swiss chard, kale, and collards. Notice that the foods are ranked in order of serving size. The more nutritious the foods, the larger the serving required to get to 50 grams of net carbohydrates.

The nutrition data for each food item includes basic macro-nutrient information, as well as the Daily Value Percentage of each micro-nutrient for a woman consuming 2,000 calories per day. As expected, sugar provides no nutrients to speak of, aside from pure carbohydrate. But compare whole wheat bread to white bread. Notice that there isn't really that much difference in the nutritional values of the two - not compared to the nutritional quality of the vegetables.

This information dramatically conveys the power of eating non-starchy vegetables instead of sugar and grains. The nutritional density of vegetables far outstrips that of the garbage carbs. Not only can you eat more food in total - for big eaters like me, this is an important fact - but nutrient load is far superior. Eating quality carbs instead of garbage carbs means you get to eat more volume and weight of food, while enjoying far better nutrition.

So, next time you go on a diet, remember to pig out on your low glycemic index vegetables - the quality carbohydrate.

Nutritional Tables For 50 Grams of Net Carbohydrates of Various Foods

White Table Sugar
Serving Size: 50 g
Calories: 193 c

Carbohydrate: 50 g
Protein: 0 g
Fat: 0 g

Vitamin A: 0%
Vitamin C: 0%
Vitamin D: 0%
Vitamin E: 0%
Vitamin K: 0%
Thiamin: 0%
Riboflavin: 0%
Niacin: 0%
Vitamin B6: 0%
Folate: 0%
Vitamin B12: 0%
Pantothenic Acid: 0%

Calcium: 0%
Iron: 0%
Magnesium: 0%
Phosphorus: 0%
Potassium: 0%
Sodium: 0%
Zinc: 0%
Copper: 0%
Manganese: 0%
Selenium: 0%

White Bread
Serving Size: 104 g
Calories: 277 c

Carbohydrate: 53 g
Protein: 8 g
Fat: 3 g

Vitamin E: 1%
Vitamin K: 4%
Thiamin: 32%
Riboflavin: 20%
Niacin: 23%
Vitamin B6: 4%
Folate: 29%
Pantothenic Acid: 2%

Calcium: 16%
Iron: 22%
Magnesium: 6%
Phosphorus: 10%
Potassium: 3%
Sodium: 30%
Zinc: 5%
Copper: 13%
Manganese: 25%
Selenium: 26%

Whole Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 145 g
Calories: 358 c

Carbohydrate: 60 g
Protein: 19 g
Fat: 5 g

Vitamin E: 4%
Vitamin K: 14%
Thiamin: 34%
Riboflavin: 18%
Niacin: 34%
Vitamin B6: 15%
Folate: 18%
Pantothenic Acid: 10%

Calcium: 16%
Iron: 20%
Magnesium: 30%
Phosphorus: 29%
Potassium: 10%
Sodium: 29%
Zinc: 17%
Copper: 27%
Manganese: 155%
Selenium: 83%

Baked Potato With Skin
Serving Size: 264 g
Calories: 246 c

Carbohydrate: 56 g
Protein: 7 g
Fat: 0 g

Vitamin A: 1%
Vitamin C: 42%
Vitamin K: 7%
Thiamin: 11%
Riboflavin: 7%
Niacin: 19%
Vitamin B6: 41%
Folate: 18%
Pantothenic Acid: 10%

Calcium: 4%
Iron: 16%
Magnesium: 18%
Phosphorus: 18%
Potassium: 40%
Sodium: 1%
Zinc: 6%
Copper: 16%
Manganese: 29%
Selenium: 2%

Cooked Shiitake Mushrooms
Serving Size: 407 g
Calories: 228 c

Carbohydrate: 59 g
Protein: 6 g
Fat: 1 g

Vitamin C: 2%
Vitamin K: 0%
Thiamin: 10%
Riboflavin: 41%
Niacin: 31%
Vitamin B6: 32%
Folate: 21%
Pantothenic Acid: 146%

Calcium: 1%
Iron: 10%
Magnesium: 14%
Phosphorus: 12%
Potassium: 14%
Sodium: 1%
Zinc: 36%
Copper: 182%
Manganese: 42%
Selenium: 144%

Raw Carrots
Serving Size: 738 g
Calories: 303 c

Carbohydrate: 71 g
Protein: 7 g
Fat: 2 g

Vitamin A: 2,466%
Vitamin C: 73%
Vitamin E: 24%
Vitamin K: 122%
Thiamin: 32%
Riboflavin: 25%
Niacin: 36%
Vitamin B6: 51%
Folate: 35%
Pantothenic Acid: 20%

Calcium: 24%
Iron: 12%
Magnesium: 22%
Phosphorus: 26%
Potassium: 67%
Sodium: 21%
Zinc: 12%
Copper: 17%
Manganese: 53%
Selenium: 1%

Boiled Eggplant
Serving Size: 803 g
Calories: 281 c

Carbohydrate: 70 g
Protein: 607 g
Fat: 2 g

Vitamin A: 6%
Vitamin C: 17%
Vitamin E: 16%
Vitamin K: 29%
Thiamin: 41%
Riboflavin: 9%
Niacin: 24%
Vitamin B6: 35%
Folate: 28%
Pantothenic Acid: 6%

Calcium: 5%
Iron: 11%
Magnesium: 22%
Phosphorus: 12%
Potassium: 28%
Sodium: 0%
Zinc: 6%
Copper: 24%
Manganese: 45%
Selenium: 1%

Raw Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1840 g
Calories: 331 c

Carbohydrate: 72 g
Protein: 16 g
Fat: 4 g

Vitamin A: 307%
Vitamin C: 389%
Vitamin E: 50%
Vitamin K: 182%
Thiamin: 45%
Riboflavin: 21%
Niacin: 55%
Vitamin B6: 74%
Folate: 69%
Pantothenic Acid: 16%

Calcium: 18%
Iron: 28%
Magnesium: 51%
Phosphorus: 44%
Potassium: 125%
Sodium: 4%
Zinc: 21%
Copper: 54%
Manganese: 105%
Selenium: 0%

Boiled Mixed Greens - Spinach, Swiss Chard, Kale, Collards
Serving Size: 2204 g
Calories: 534 c

Carbohydrate: 101 g
Protein: 49 g
Fat: 6 g

Vitamin A: 4,225%
Vitamin C: 799%
Vitamin E: 157%
Vitamin K: 14,313%
Thiamin: 82%
Riboflavin: 161%
Niacin: 53%
Vitamin B6: 163%
Folate: 360%
Pantothenic Acid: 32%

Calcium: 224%
Iron: 242%
Magnesium: 291%
Phosphorus: 81%
Potassium: 214%
Sodium: 66%
Zinc: 57%
Copper: 146%
Manganese: 584%
Selenium: 30%

Luke Seubert 09-04-2011 07:44 AM

WOD - Medicine Ball Fun Day

Date: September 4, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 75 F
  • Humidity: 78%
  • Heat Index: 76 F

Comments
My warmup walk went well. I came within 10 seconds of my PR, but with a slower heart rate by 2 BPM. I definitely sweated more than usual because of the higher temperatures. I delayed my early morning workout so as not to wake the neighbors on a Sunday morning with my thudding medicine ball noises. Hence, it was in the mid 70's instead of the high 60's. I still sweat a lot, but not as much as I used to, now that I am getting in better shape with proper exercise and nutrition.

Meanwhile, my bodyweight dropped quite a bit. The swelling in my legs has gone down, and with it a lot of water weight. So it looks like I am back on track with respect to the weight loss. This is especially true since I am now fully back on my diet. In fact, I have tweaked it a bit and formalized what I had been doing eating wise for about a month now. I'll explain the details in a later post.

Medicine Ball Medley went well, and it was a tough workout. My patch on the medicine ball is holding, but it broke another small hole. I think I have to use another basketball, one with a tougher skin. Anyway, I worked up a really good sweat with the medicine ball, and I can definitely feel the effects in my upper abs. This is a good thing :)

Oh, and for the record, unlike a lot of folks around here, I have absolutely zero interest in "teh abz" as a vanity body part. I am interested in a really strong body core for the sake of the fitness, not "teh abz". And no, I don't use tanning products that give my skin that sickening orange glow either ;)

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles (Current PR - 15:22 @ 139 BPM on 09/01/11, 3.51 MPH) 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles (Current PR - 18:31 @ 144 BPM on 07/26/11, 3.56 MPH) 2.0 Flat and Hilly Miles (Current PR - 35:10 @ 145 BPM on 08/15/11, 3.41 MPH)
  • Time: 15:32
  • Heart Rate: 137 BPM

SMBM - Solo Medicine Ball Medley (WFS)
60 seconds per exercise - AMRAP. 10 second rest interval between exercises. 8 1/2 pound ball. Grassy slope.
  1. Standing Two-Arm Overhead Throw
  2. Two-Arm Overhead Throw with Shoulder Rotation - Alternating
  3. Ancient "Stone" Throw
  4. Ancient "Hammer" Throw
  5. Ancient "Log" Throw
  6. Trunk Twist Throw - Alternating
  7. Trunk Extend & Flex
  8. Trunk Rotations
  9. Lateral Lunges
  10. Standing Two-Arm Overhead Throw
  11. Ancient "Stone" Throw
  12. Overhead Orbits - Alternating
  13. Ancient "Hammer" Throw
  14. Ancient "Log" Throw

Luke Seubert 09-05-2011 05:41 AM

Monday Weekly Body Fat Composition Update
  • Date: September 5, 2011

BFC Average 2 Weeks Ago: 40.6% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
BFC Average 1 Week Ago: 40.3%
Current BFC Average: 40.4%
Beginning Date for BFC - May 4, 2011 - BFC Average Then: 44.6% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
Total BFC Average Lost to Date: 40.3%

Comments
Not a good week at all. Just after last Monday, I had two high readings which destroyed the average for the week. I actually wound up going up compared to last week. A fair amount of this is due to poor diet and lack of exercise in the aftermath of Hurricane Irene, and some small bit due to the finicky nature of bio-electrical impedance body fat analyzers.

Anyway, my bodyweight is dropping very nicely once again, and my last body measurements showed losses on my chest, waist, and hips - my main storage areas of bodyfat. This, combined with the fact that I am back on a disciplined diet and exercise program, leads to my expectation of better news on body fat composition next week.

BFC Readings and Average For The Past Two Weeks
The BFC Average listed below is a simple 7 day moving average. It tends to overstate current BFC slightly as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic BFC readings and shows the actual BFC rate of change over time. Readers curious to know more about how to effectively use an Omron or any other bioelectrical impedance body fat composition meter should read my previous post, "How to Get Semi-Useful Body Fat Composition Data Out of a Bioelectrical Impedance Analyzer" (WFS).

__Date_______BFC Reading_____BFC Average
Mon, 08/22/11_______40.3%_______40.6%
Tue, 08/23/11_______40.4%_______40.6%
Wed, 08/24/11_______40.0%_______40.4%
Thu, 08/25/11_______40.3%_______40.4%
Fri, 08/26/11_______40.1%_______40.3%
Sat, 08/27/11_______40.2%_______40.2%
Sun, 08/28/11_______40.4%_______40.2%
Mon, 08/29/11_______40.5%_______40.3%
Tue, 08/30/11_______40.7%_______40.3%
Wed, 08/31/11_______40.9%_______40.4%
Thu, 09/01/11_______40.2%_______40.4%
Fri, 09/02/11_______40.2%_______40.4%
Sat, 09/03/11_______40.3%_______40.5%
Sun, 09/04/11_______40.4%_______40.5%
Mon, 09/05/11_______40.1%_______40.4%

Luke Seubert 09-05-2011 06:23 AM

Date: September 5, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 72 F
  • Humidity: 78%
  • Heat Index: 71 F

Comments
Woohooo! New PR on the 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles walk. I broke the old PR by 23 seconds. For some reason, this has been a really tough walk for me to set new PRs, at least in comparison to the Hilly Walk. So when I set a new PR on this one, I am quite happy about it. Anyway, I have been able to substantially improve my gait, thanks to some advice about walking I got in this forum. Basically, I try to evert my pelvis and lift up onto my toes a bit. This engages the calves and glutes a bit more than my regular walking stride, and since these are strong muscles for me, I can increase my turnover rate.

Meanwhile, I completed another full round of Tabata Kettlebell. It was a bit easier this time. My heart rate hit 171 BPM in the latter cycles, instead of 177 BPM. I wasn't dying quite so much at the end, although I was still breathing very hard. My legs felt weak, but not like jello. And I didn't get a throbbing pain in the lower left of the back of my skull. I believe I have fully recovered from that bad case of DOMS brought on by the last Tabata Kettlebell workout, and am now stronger. This is a most welcome adaptation - Tabata Kettlebell is far and away my most brutal workout right now, though Shovel Glove may take its place with a sufficiently heavy sledgehammer.

Warmup - 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles (Old PR - 18:04 @ 142 BPM on 08/20/11, 3.65 MPH)
  • Time: 17:41, New PR! 3.73 MPH
  • Heart Rate: 146 BPM

Tabata Kettlebell Swings
  • Kettlebell Weight: 17 pounds
  • Tabata Rounds Completed: 1

Luke Seubert 09-06-2011 06:25 AM

WOD - Shovel Glove Fun Day (WFS)

Date: September 6, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 66 F
  • Humidity: 96%
  • Heat Index: 66 F

Comments
Ho hum! Another day, another walking PR. Me so bored ;)

Yup, I broke my PR in the Hilly Walk again. I started strong and feeling very good, but there was more than that when it came to setting the new PR. When I came to my first steep down slope, I impulsively broke into a slow jog all the way down the hill and along the flat for a short while. I resumed walking until the second downhill, which I also jogged. While the brief jogging felt surprisingly good and natural, my joints took quite a pounding, even when I lifted up and ran on my toes ala Pose Technique. So while I don't think I'll take up long distance jogging anytime soon, I do think I'll jog some short intervals using my GymBoss timer. My recovery from the Tabata Kettlebell is complete with no sign of DOMS. That first complete Tabata Kettelbell round I did was brutally hard and resulted in some serious pain and stiffness, but I am measurably fitter and feeling very good as a result.

As for Shovel Glove, I am still using the 2 pound aluminum bat. I can't find a heavy sledgehammer head anywhere. I hate the fiberglass and rubber ready-made sledgehammers from the stores, which are insanely overpriced for such a cheap product. I like wood handles, and can easily mount a head onto a handle, but I can't find heads anywhere. I looked in every hardware store in the area, and checked on Craigslist, FreeCycle, and eBay. Blast these things are hard to find. And I have to step up my Shovel Glove routine to ramp up the intensity - it is my wimpiest workout right now.

Anyway, my Shovel Glove Medley went well. I sped up the routine to make it a bit more challenging. For some reason, I got confused on Samurai Thrust and goofed it up. Otherwise, all my other exercises and fast and smooth, including the right-left transitions. I am ready for the heavy weight of a proper sledgehammer, if only I can find one.

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles (Old PR - 15:22 @ 139 BPM on 09/01/11, 3.51 MPH)
  • Time: 14:39, New PR! 3.69 MPH
  • Heart Rate: 150 BPM

Shovel Glove Medley (WFS)
60 seconds per exercise - AMRAP. 10 second rest interval between exercises. 2 pound aluminum baseball bat.
  1. Driving Fence Posts (WFS)
  2. Flip the Lever (WFS)
  3. Stoke the Oven (WFS)
  4. Hoist the Sack (WFS)
  5. Shovel (WFS)
  6. Pull Weeds (WFS)
  7. Chop Wood (WFS)
  8. Churning Butter (WFS)
  9. Chop the Tree (WFS)
  10. Moulinet (WFS)
  11. Tuck Bales (WFS)
  12. Fireman (WFS)
  13. Samurai Thrust (WFS)
  14. Paddle Canoe (WFS)
  15. Reaping the Wheat (WFS)
  16. Pump Water (WFS)

Dustin Standel 09-06-2011 11:11 AM

Looks good, Luke.

Keep challenging yourself and try not to get too bored!

I also wanted to say thanks for stopping by and commenting in my log last week when my wife got sick.

Mara Rozitis 09-06-2011 02:46 PM

Fantastic work, Luke! I had a bit of catching up to do as I had some internet service problems and then had to buy a new computer. Still don't have everything set up the way I want it, but at least it's all usable.

You've made A LOT of progress in a very short time. Congrats on the Tabata KB swings! I'm glad you have a GymBoss timer. They are awesome, especially for working out alone. I was always guilty of watching the clock and maybe not working quite as hard as I should be until my friend bought me one for Christmas. CrossFitting friend, big surprise!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Arturo Garcia 09-06-2011 03:14 PM

Sure thing Luke, I just suggested looking into it whenever you felt like it. :)

I'm glad you're still on track and didn't let that small bump in the road get to ya. :)

Luke Seubert 09-07-2011 05:09 AM

Date: September 7, 2011

Today is the end of Week 18 of my fat loss regimen.

Last Week's Bodyweight Trend: 364.2 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight Trend: 361.5 lbs
Last Week's Bodyweight: 360.4 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight: 357.6 lbs
Beginning Date for Bodyweight Measurements - May 4, 2011 - Bodyweight: 425.6 lbs
Total Bodyweight Trend Lost to Date: 64.1 lbs
Total Bodyweight Lost to Date: 69.2 lbs

Comments
My bodyweight loss rate numbers are up, and returning to where they should be. I am fully recovered from the lost week of poor diet and little exercise of Hurricane Irene. I have been exercising regularly, and working my new, modified diet regimen; both with good success.

I have noticed something interesting happening. When you eat as consistently as I do, and drink water as consistently as I do (7 quarts a day, sometimes more), and weigh in every day; you develop a good sense of water weight gain or loss. I am starting to notice a bit of water weight gain on the 2nd and 3rd days of my 3-On, 1-Off exercise cycle. I usually drop that water weight on my rest day, mostly in the afternoon and evening. Exercise stressed muscles that are repairing damage done to the myofibrils absorb water, and later release it. So my pattern of water weight gain and water weight loss seems to confirm that I am stressing my muscles enough to go through the break down, repair, and supercompensation cycle.

What I don't know, is if I am gaining muscle mass or not. Maybe I am, a little bit, in which case, my bodyweight loss rate is really terrific. Or, perhaps my muscles are getting stronger, but not really bigger, and my muscle mass is holding steady, or slightly declining. Hard to say. Does anybody have any ideas?

The Trend listed below is an exponential moving average with 10% smoothing. It tends to overstate current bodyweight as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic bodyweight readings and shows the actual bodyweight loss rate over time. An explanation of the "Trend" calculation's utility may be found in my previous post, "Turning Bodyweight Into A Semi-Useful Metric" (WFS).

Wed, 08/31/11_______360.4 lbs_______364.2 lbs
Thu, 09/01/11_______360.8 lbs_______363.9 lbs
Fri, 09/02/11_______362.2 lbs_______363.7 lbs
Sat, 09/03/11_______362.6 lbs_______363.6 lbs
Sun, 09/04/11_______358.4 lbs_______363.1 lbs
Mon, 09/05/11_______356.4 lbs_______362.4 lbs
Tue, 09/06/11_______357.0 lbs_______361.9 lbs
Wed, 09/07/11_______357.6 lbs_______361.5 lbs

Luke Seubert 09-07-2011 05:12 AM

15% Of Bodyweight Lost!

I hit a big benchmark today. Going by Bodyweight Trend, today I dropped below 361.8 pounds. This represents a loss of 15% of my beginning bodyweight of 425.6 pounds. That is a loss of 63.8 pounds of bodyweight - a bit of water, maybe some muscle, and a lot of fat.

My next benchmark is 20% of bodyweight lost, which will be coming up at 340.5 pounds. I am actually quite excited about this one, more so than any previous benchmark. Busting under 340 will be quite the amazing achievement. It has been many years since I was "that light", so to speak. While I will still have a long way to go once I get there, it will nonetheless represent for me a big milepost in the journey. So here's to chuggin' along on down to 340.5 and less :D

Luke Seubert 09-07-2011 05:17 AM

WOD - Rest Day
  • Date: September 7, 2011

Comments
For once, I am not really looking forward to my rest day. I feel pretty good and energetic, with no pain or soreness to speak of. (OK, I fibbed, I got some DOMS in my upper abs from kettlebell, but otherwise I feel great.) This must mean that my workouts aren't tough enough. Certainly, without a heavy sledgehammer, the Shovel Glove Medley isn't tough enough.

Sooooo... I have cooked up some new workouts to try out, if I can't find a sledgehammer head soon. I might even try some before my next scheduled Shovel Glove Medley. They incorporate intervals, and a few other interesting bits. Tune in tomorrow to find out more :)

Meanwhile, I am just a little bit scared of these new workouts. I had and still have to a lesser degree, the same attitude about Tabata Kettlebell - a little anxiety and fear and trepidation. But this is a good thing, if done in moderation. I am convinced that the Tabata Kettlebell work has improved my fitness faster than any other workout, even though it was the one I was most reluctant to do, and usually found excuses to delay as long as possible. But the scary workouts are the tough workouts which produce significant progression in fitness levels as well as fat loss.

1. Try out a new workout on 1st day of new cycle.
  2. Complete 1 round of Tabata Kettlebell as scheduled.
  3. If I get my sledgehammer, do Shovel Glove; else, new workout.

Dustin Standel 09-07-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Seubert (Post 982857)
15% Of Bodyweight Lost!

I hit a big benchmark today. Going by Bodyweight Trend, today I dropped below 361.8 pounds. This represents a loss of 15% of my beginning bodyweight of 425.6 pounds. That is a loss of 63.8 pounds of bodyweight - a bit of water, maybe some muscle, and a lot of fat.

My next benchmark is 20% of bodyweight lost, which will be coming up at 340.5 pounds. I am actually quite excited about this one, more so than any previous benchmark. Busting under 340 will be quite the amazing achievement. It has been many years since I was "that light", so to speak. While I will still have a long way to go once I get there, it will nonetheless represent for me a big milepost in the journey. So here's to chuggin' along on down to 340.5 and less :D

Happy Dance Time: :kicking0:

Most excellent work - are you giving yourself a reward of some kind?

Luke Seubert 09-07-2011 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Standel (Post 982577)
Looks good, Luke.

Keep challenging yourself and try not to get too bored!

I also wanted to say thanks for stopping by and commenting in my log last week when my wife got sick.

I hope your wife is doing better Dustin, and that things are back to a good normal.

You are so very right about challenging oneself and not getting bored. In a few days I will be posting a "Reflections" piece, and I'll have a few things to say about those topics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 982655)
Fantastic work, Luke! I had a bit of catching up to do as I had some internet service problems and then had to buy a new computer. Still don't have everything set up the way I want it, but at least it's all usable.

You've made A LOT of progress in a very short time. Congrats on the Tabata KB swings! I'm glad you have a GymBoss timer. They are awesome, especially for working out alone. I was always guilty of watching the clock and maybe not working quite as hard as I should be until my friend bought me one for Christmas. CrossFitting friend, big surprise!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Thanks for the encouragement, Mara. Yeah, I am progressing and getting better at these things. And yes, GymBoss timers are great tools. They can be used in all sorts of clever ways.

With respect to your new computer, I recently had a friend lose a set of very important files because she didn't have any backups. For her, it was a something of a major tragedy. So please, everybody, back up and verify your backups to two separate local media, and one remote online backup service. Backup your data to one local media as least every 24 hours; to another local media stored in a separate location from the other at least once a week; and to a remote online backup service at least once a week, preferably daily. Local media include external disk drives, USB thumbdrives, and DVD-R optical discs. Good online remote storage services include DropBox.com and BackBlaze.com (Both WFS).

I know I am geeking out here and boring some people with my off-topic rant; but frequent, consistent, verified backups of data is so absolutely crucial.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 982662)
Sure thing Luke, I just suggested looking into it whenever you felt like it. :)

I'm glad you're still on track and didn't let that small bump in the road get to ya. :)

At the time, that bump in the road was really irritating and frustrating. In some ways I overreacted, but in one sense I didn't. Maintaining strong momentum really helps me mentally. Steady, significant progress helps me with persistence, which is a challenge for me. If I can see good results, it encourages me mightily to stick with it.

Luke Seubert 09-07-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Standel (Post 982864)
Happy Dance Time: :kicking0:

Most excellent work - are you giving yourself a reward of some kind?

Uhhh, a pint of Ben & Jerry's?

Relax folks, that was a joke. :D

Actually, I haven't really worked out a reward system for hitting benchmarks. I did that once before, but it sort of petered out, and I didn't bother adopting that particular motivational technique this time around. This is odd, because I have utilized nearly every other proven motivational technique I know of in putting all this together.

I suppose the journey is its own reward. However, if folks can think of a good self-reward program, I'll entertain suggestions along those lines.

Dustin Standel 09-07-2011 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Seubert (Post 982869)
Uhhh, a pint of Ben & Jerry's?

Relax folks, that was a joke. :D

Actually, I haven't really worked out a reward system for hitting benchmarks. I did that once before, but it sort of petered out, and I didn't bother adopting that particular motivational technique this time around. This is odd, because I have utilized nearly every other proven motivational technique I know of in putting all this together.

I suppose the journey is its own reward. However, if folks can think of a good self-reward program, I'll entertain suggestions along those lines.

This officially makes me a nerd, but I like to reward myself with a new season of either Star Trek or the Simpsons on DVD or a new math book (what can I say - applied mathematics is not only my course of study for my MS, but a passion). Then I take a day to enjoy this before I get back on the wagon.

Though lets just say I do enjoy the occasional Longboard from Kona Brewing company as a personal reward as well. Had 4 last night - one for each lift I PR'ed yesterday!

Luke Seubert 09-07-2011 06:49 PM

Mind Over Fat Matter
"You got your mind right, Luke?" That's what the Boss asked Luke Jackson as he lay in the bottom of the hole he dug in the epic film, "Cool Hand Luke". Whether Luke got his mind right like the boss wanted, or it was right to begin with, is left as an exercise for those familiar with the symbolism and metaphor of this great and highly recommended film. For those who haven't a clue what I am talking about, YouTube provides the scene. (WFS Video, NWFS Comments)

Me? Well, I'm trying mighty hard to get my mind right. Losing fat and getting fit is mostly a mental game - literally, a matter of mind over matter. To that end, I have included below comments and links to some very helpful articles about improving one's mind so as to achieve difficult goals, such as permanent changes in eating habits or achieving superior physical fitness.

Kicking Addictions
In his book, "The Paleo Solution", Robb Wolf comments that one of his clients, a former drug addict, found that kicking sugar and starch addiction was harder than kicking crack cocaine addiction. This shouldn't be a surprise, given that sugar and starch tickle the same pleasure receptors in the neurons of the brain as do opiates. Thus, cleaning up one's diet by rejecting unhealthy foods and embracing nutritious food is a lot like stopping smoking - very hard. You must break an addiction and replace it with good habits. This article provides sound advice on how to do this.
Mindfulness In Plain English
For those who read the previous article, and were intrigued by the idea of mindfulness meditation as a means of gaining insight into and control over one's undesirable emotions and impulses, consider reading the book, "Mindfulness in Plain English". It is widely acclaimed as one of the best introductory texts for the practice of insight meditation. While historically this has been a Buddhist practice, the author makes it clear that one need not embrace Buddhism in order to practice this form of meditation. As such, the book is non-sectarian, and is thus useful to followers of any religious faith. The book is available free of charge.
Chronic Almost-Achiever?
Fear of the past and fear of failure lead many people to only give 95%, so that they have an automatic excuse when they fail. "Well, I wasn't trying that hard anyway." This article explores chronic almost-achievement, and how to stop achieving 95% and how to start achieving 100%
Dealing With Doubt
Self doubt can cause a person to freeze, like a deer caught in the headlights. Breaking this dilemma of stasis is the key to pursuing one's dreams and goals. And along the way, expect some criticism. This article discusses how to defeat self-paralysis and how to appreciate criticism for what it really is.
A Blast From My Posting Past
An oldie but a goodie. I have posted this link before, but I still find it immensely useful and want to share it with others. It is full of tips and techniques and tools which empower you to get motivated and stay motivated.
The Man In The Arena
By Theodore Roosevelt
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Luke Seubert 09-08-2011 06:56 AM

WOD - Wild & Wacky Wall-less Wallballing Waiter's Walk
  • Date: September 8, 2011
Conditions
  • Temperature: 71 F
  • Humidity: 99%

Comments
Welcome to my new WOD. Just in time too, the weather made Medicine Ball Medley impossible - light rain and water-logged grassy slope. But nothing is too impossible for Wild & Wacky Wall-less Wallballting Waiter's Walk!

This WOD is made up of my 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles Walk, combined with a Waiter's Walk using my 8 1/2 pound, homemade medicine ball. I switch hands from time to time, to balance things out, while waiter walking. I stop every 3 minutes and do 10 "Ancient Log Throws", but I then catch the ball and reset for the next throw. (Think burly, hairy Scotsman in a kilt throwing a telephone poll - that's an Ancient Log Throw.)

This was a good workout. It lasted about as long as I wanted - no more than 30 minutes, and I am sure I can bring this time down. I didn't jog any, I walked the whole way. Also, I only did the Waiter's Walk halfway. My shoulders and upper back were a little burned out. I'm sure I'll be able to do a full length Waiter's Walk soon though. I wound up stopping and throwing a total of 6 times. I can definitely stand to gain some time on the throws - they went slowly. While this WOD was a good, sweaty workout for me, I was tentative with it because it was new. I can be more aggressive next time.

The beauty of this WOD is that there are all sorts of ways to vary the intensity. I can jog, get a heavier medicine ball, shorten the interval time, increase the number of throws, increase throw rate, etc. For now, I am going to work on doing this exercise as Rx'd, and repeat that a few times while lowering my total time, and then I'll ramp up intensity.

Total Time, Heart Rate, Distance, Weight, Intervals
  • Time: 28:49
  • Heart Rate: 152 BPM
  • Distance: 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles
  • Weight: 8 1/2 pound medicine basketball
  • Intervals
    • Waiter's Walk/Jog - Alternating Left/Right Hand: 180 seconds
    • Wall-less Wallballing - Log Throw & Catch: 10 reps

Luke Seubert 09-08-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Standel (Post 982881)
This officially makes me a nerd, but I like to reward myself with a new season of either Star Trek or the Simpsons on DVD or a new math book (what can I say - applied mathematics is not only my course of study for my MS, but a passion). Then I take a day to enjoy this before I get back on the wagon.

Though lets just say I do enjoy the occasional Longboard from Kona Brewing company as a personal reward as well. Had 4 last night - one for each lift I PR'ed yesterday!

Fear not Dustin! You are probably more of a geek than a nerd. Being a geek is actually sort of cool. Being a nerd is never cool. There are important differences.

Since you are into applied mathematics, are your familiar with Donald Knuth's magnum opus, "The Art of Computer Programming"? It features algorithms useful for computing, and is considered one of the great science textbooks of the 20th Century. Alas, I have yet to read it. It is a Mark Twain sort of classic :-)

As for rewards, I would have to say that losing all the fat and getting fit will be its own reward for me. It will allow me to do a lot of things I want to do, but presently can't. Things like long hikes and camping trips; building and sailing my own sail & oar boat; and powered paragliding. When you are severely obese, there is a whole world that is closed to you. When you are lean and very fit, a whole new world opens up. That will be my reward.

Luke Seubert 09-09-2011 07:00 AM

Date: September 9, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 70 F
  • Humidity: 98%
  • Heat Index: 70 F

Comments
I smashed my PR again in the 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles loop, besting my old PR by a whopping 44 seconds! This time, instead of jogging a bit on the two steepest downslopes, I jogged on every downslope. I walked the flats and hills. Most interesting of all is my heart rate. Despite covering 0.9 miles in 13:55 instead of 14:39, my heart rate actually dropped by 1 BPM. I wasn't surprised by my new PR, I knew I could go faster if I jogged more. I was surprised at how much my cardio and stamina have improved, as demonstrated by a stable heart rate under greater exertion. I attribute that more to kettlebell and medicine ball work than the modest amounts of walking I have done.

Meanwhile, I bumped my kettlebell's weight up to 20 pounds from 17.5 pounds. While I thought this wouldn't make much of a difference, the increased weight combined with my more rigorous warmup; made for a pretty tough kettlebell Tabata round. I made it through, though it was unpleasant towards the end. My heart rate peaked at 173 BPM, which is a bit more than last time.

I have a love/hate relationship with Tabata Kettlebell Hell Day right now. On the one hand, it toughens me up and makes me fitter, faster. On the other hand, the workout is very hard, even though it is short, and it still intimidates me.

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles (Old PR - 14:39 @ 150 BPM on 09/06/11, 3.69 MPH)
  • Time: 13:55 - New PR! 3.88 MPH
  • Heart Rate: 149 BPM

Tabata Kettlebell Swings
  • Kettlebell Weight: 20 pounds
  • Tabata Rounds Completed:

Luke Seubert 09-10-2011 05:32 AM

Saturday Weekly Body Measurements Update
Date: September 10, 2011

Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 938.0 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 929.5 cm
Beginning Date for Body Measurements - May 14, 2011 - Total Body Measurements: 1009.5
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 80.0 cm

Comments
I dropped a lot on my leg measurements, given that they were swollen after a hard Tabata Kettlebell workout last week. That accounts for much of this week's big drop. However, my waist and hips went down as well, so it looks like I am losing some fat once again. This is confirmed by significant drops in bodyweight, as well as record low readings for BFC. When all three of my metrics correlate as losing fat, I am pretty sure I am losing fat.

Interestingly, this has come during a week of intensified exercise. My diet has been pretty steady Paleo with a free meal thrown in as per usual. The difference is the tougher workouts, which are having noticeable effect. Excuse me now, I have to go do another new workout....

Body Measurements for Last Week and This Week
An explanation about "Total Body Measurements" and how I use body measurements to assess fat loss over time may be found in my previous post, "The Humble Tape Measure: Simple But Oh So Useful" (WFS).

Right Thigh: 67.0 cm, 67.0 cm
Right Calf: 51.0 cm, 50.0 cm
Right Ankle: 28.0 cm, 28.0 cm

Left Thigh: 70.0 cm, 69.0 cm
Left Calf: 52.5 cm, 50.0 cm
Left Ankle: 29.0 cm, 28.0 cm

Right Arm: 38.0 cm, 36.5 cm
Right Forearm: 33.5 cm, 33.5 cm
Right Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Left Arm: 40.5 cm, 40.5 cm
Left Forearm: 34.0 cm, 34.0 cm
Left Wrist: 19.5 cm, 20.0 cm

Neck: 44.0 cm, 43.5 cm
Chest: 137.5 cm, 138.0 cm
Waist: 151.5 cm, 150.0 cm
Hips: 122.0 cm, 121.0 cm

Luke Seubert 09-10-2011 06:30 AM

WOD - Dumbbell Thruster Farmer's Walk
  • Date: September 10, 2011
Conditions
  • Humidity: 96%

Comments
Wow! This was a tough one. I completed two sets of thrusters, and then realized I couldn't do those AND walk the entire 1.1 mile loop. So I stopped with the thrusters, and walked until my left arm started to really burn and scream, at which point I set the dumbbells down and shook out my hands. I had to stop several more times on the way back. My upper back and arms are a bit sore and tired, as am I. It is good that tomorrow is a rest day - this one I am looking forward to.

This is a very good exercise, but I am going to cut the dumbbell weight in half. I really want to do the thrusters while farmer's walking, but the weights are just too heavy right now for my grip strength. That said, this is a great grip strength workout, and I hope to build up that strength as time goes by increasing the dumbbell weights. Like the Wall-less Wallballing Waiter's Walk, this workout has a lot of ways to vary the intensity, which I will experiment with in the coming months.

Total Time, Heart Rate, Distance, Weight, Sets, Intervals
  • Time: 28:04
  • Heart Rate: 148 BPM
  • Weight: Dumbbells - 2 x 20 pounds
  • Thruster Sets: 2
  • Intervals
    • Farmer's Walk/Jog: 180 seconds
    • Dumbbell Thruster: 10 reps

Luke Seubert 09-11-2011 12:35 PM

WOD - Rest Day Reflections and Affirmations
  • Date: September 11, 2011

Comments
I am really happy to have this rest day. While I only have a touch of soreness in my quadriceps, I do feel tired and I need the rest. I consider this a good thing, since I did increase the intensity of my exercises in the last cycle, with new and more difficult exercises. This is paying off though, as I am getting measurably fitter.

1. Do the Wall-less Wallballing Waiter's Walk as Rx'd, but faster than 28:49.
  2. Complete other workouts as Rx'd, with lighter weight on Dumbbell Thruster Farmer's Walk.
  3. Keep working on getting that blasted sledgehammer head. It is getting closer.
Reflections and Affirmations
Below are some meandering thoughts I have been musing over. For experienced CrossFitters, many of these are common knowledge; but they are small things I have grokked with experience, and not merely through book understanding. In other cases, they are reminders to myself of things I should do or be aware of as I travel along through my odyssey.
  • A Little Fear Is A Good Thing

Without question, the workouts that have produced the best results for me are those that slightly intimidate me. Workouts that are tough enough to produce a buzz of anxiety, fear, or trepidation seem to be very effective in enhancing my fitness.

Of course, one must then deal properly with that fear...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." Dune by Frank Herbert - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I will now strive to do workouts that give me just a bit of anxious pause before I begin them.
  • My Mind Holds Me Back More Than My Body

People are stronger, tougher, more resilient and capable than they give themselves credit for. I am continuously surprising myself with my capacity for increased work and exercise. In fact, I could do a lot more than I currently do, while still recovering sufficiently to maintain this increased vigor over time.

I will train my mind to go further than its own limitations, to thereby match and even go beyond the limits of the body.
  • Making Up Crazy New Workouts Is Fun!

I really enjoy making up workouts. Medicine Ball Medley and Shovel Glove Medley are two unique workouts that I put together and modified with experience and time. I also went back and amped up my two walks, adding waiter's walk and medicine ball log throw to one, and farmer's walk and dumbbell thrusters to the other. Cooking up new workouts to present greater challenges has been a lot of fun. And it definitely keeps things from getting boring.

In the interest of fun and variety, I will create new, more challenging workouts.
  • Mental Toughness Is Like A Muscle

For me, mental toughness is extremely important. Mental toughness is truly what allows one to excel. Right now, I feel disappointed in myself, because I have yet to have any workout I have done cause me to collapse on the floor, panting heavily, weak, and tired. And I have certainly come nowhere close to meeting Pukey. There are a few workouts where this might have happened had I gone all out, but I hold myself back. Perhaps, given my novice fitness status, this is wise. But as time goes on, and I increase the toughness of my workouts, I have to amp up the mental toughness to go along with it. Happily, I believe that mental toughness is a lot like a muscle. The more you exercise it, the stronger it gets.

I will train my mind to be tougher just like I train my muscles to be stronger.
  • Listen To Your Intuition

I have a strong bias towards being methodical, logical, and systematic. While this is mostly a good thing, sometimes, listening to one's intuition and acting spontaneously is also a good thing. For example, I dropped my 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles time considerably over the past week because one day I was feeling really good and I decided to start jogging down a steep slope. I just spontaneously ramped up the intensity of my exercise. Something somewhere in my brain said it was time to ignore the planned workout and do something different. As a result, my workouts are now tougher, more rigorous, and I am trying new, more challenging workouts. My body and my mind told me it was time.

I will listen to my intuition and adapt my workouts accordingly.
  • Progression And Variety

This is Basic Exercise Physiology and CrossFit 101, but it is proving so very true in my personal experience. Doing the same exercise over and over does not lead to progression while it does lead to boredom. Making each successive exercise just a little bit tougher in some way leads to measureable fitness gains. Adding some variety keeps things from getting boring, preventing me from being all too easily distracted.

I will try to make each workout more challenging than the previous one in some way, and vary my workouts over time.
  • Brainwash Myself - Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat

Creating entirely new lifestyle habits while breaking old habits is hard to do. One way I accomplish this is by brainwashing myself through repetition. I read and re-read books and articles on the Paleo diet and exercise. I re-watch inspirational videos. I review, repeat, and re-affirm these new ideas constantly, turning them into deeply embedded principles and practices. Over time, it all sinks in until it becomes permanent, and I thereby develop an entirely new mindset, a new and better way of thinking.

I will consistently and continuously re-affirm my fitness principles and practices.
  • Seek Friends Of A Feather

This is not the first time I have tried to lose all of my fat. Nor is it the first time I have reached out to others for support, encouragement, and advice. In the past, I asked family and friends to read my weekly updates, and provide a backstop should I ever slack off. None of them took to the task with much enthusiasm, and all of them eventually didn't bother. The harsh reality is, sometimes friends and family don't care, or don't want to see you improve yourself.

So, this time, I didn't bother with them. Instead, I reached out to an internet community of like-minded people - people all struggling to improve their fitness and health - people like me. The difference in support I receive is simply astounding. Where friends and family went AWOL on me, the CrossFit online community has been there - totally solid. People from all over North America - Canada, America, and Dominican Republic have contributed to my Workout Log thread. Their actually giving a damn has encouraged me tremendously, and helped me to stick with the program. My thanks go out to all of them. I'll be noting them specifically in an upcoming post.

I will support others in their quests for fitness, just as others have supported me.

Meghan Reid 09-12-2011 05:52 AM

It's been enlightening and refreshing to read your log, Luke. I really admire your discipline in recording workouts and in getting through them on your own. I'm sure there are a million points during those long walks that you want to just stop and head home, but the fact that you don't is really admirable.

Also, I'm really gunning for you to keep this up, because I think your log is already a fantastic resource for training someone who is REALLY out of shape. Many of us here are pretty well-trained compared to the majority of the population, and we forget that there are indeed people out there who get sore from 10 air squats. Not a bad thing, it's just a point on the way to a future goal. I'm hoping to glean some ideas from your workouts to pass on to my mom who is now at a healthy weight through diet but needs to get exercising.

Luke Seubert 09-12-2011 10:00 AM

Monday Weekly Body Fat Composition Update
  • Date: September 12, 2011

BFC Average 2 Weeks Ago: 40.3% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
BFC Average 1 Week Ago: 40.4%
Current BFC Average: 40.0%
Beginning Date for BFC - May 4, 2011 - BFC Average Then: 44.6% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
Total BFC Average Lost to Date: 4.6%

Comments
After wandering in the wilderness a week ago, this week resulted in significant improvement on the BFC front. BFC dropped 0.4%, which is a very good drop. I attribute this to more rigorous exercise and the new diet plan. The bodyweight and body measurement metrics confirm this trend, so all is going well. I hope to sustain these sorts of losses in the coming week. It looks like I am fully back on track after the week plus lost to Hurricane Irene. This is very good - having lots of momentum really helps me to persist.

BFC Readings and Average For The Past Two Weeks
The BFC Average listed below is a simple 7 day moving average. It tends to overstate current BFC slightly as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic BFC readings and shows the actual BFC rate of change over time. Readers curious to know more about how to effectively use an Omron or any other bioelectrical impedance body fat composition meter should read my previous post, "How to Get Semi-Useful Body Fat Composition Data Out of a Bioelectrical Impedance Analyzer" (WFS).

__Date_______BFC Reading_____BFC Average
Mon, 08/29/11_______40.5%_______40.3%
Tue, 08/30/11_______40.7%_______40.3%
Wed, 08/31/11_______40.9%_______40.4%
Thu, 09/01/11_______40.2%_______40.4%
Fri, 09/02/11_______40.2%_______40.4%
Sat, 09/03/11_______40.3%_______40.5%
Sun, 09/04/11_______40.4%_______40.5%
Mon, 09/05/11_______40.1%_______40.4%
Tue, 09/06/11_______40.3%_______40.3%
Wed, 09/07/11_______40.0%_______40.2%
Thu, 09/08/11_______40.0%_______40.2%
Fri, 09/09/11_______39.8%_______40.1%
Sat, 09/10/11_______39.8%_______40.1%
Sun, 09/11/11_______40.0%_______40.0%
Mon, 09/12/11_______39.9%_______40.0%

Luke Seubert 09-12-2011 10:06 AM

WOD - Wall-less Wallballing Waiter's Walk
  • Date: September 12, 2011
Conditions
  • Temperature: 72 F
  • Humidity: 74%
  • Heat Index: 72 F

Comments
Well, I beat my initial time of 28:49 by almost 5 minutes. I did it by walking faster, and really pushing hard through the tosses - doing them faster. They didn't gas me so much this time, so everything went quickly. So quickly, in fact, that I was only able to do 5 sets of Log Throw and Catch, not 6 like the first time. Amazingly, I was only 15 seconds off my PR pace in the 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles Walk, so I was really moving fast on the way out. Coming back though, I slowed down a fair amount.

Also, I still wasn't able to do a Waiter's Walk the full distance. I managed to do so for about half the distance, split into two chunks. Raising that 8 1/2 pound basket-medicine-ball up high does kick up the heart rate, but that I could deal with. It was the soreness in my upper back and shoulders that did me in, even with moving the ball from hand to hand. Upper body strength is an area in which I need a lot of work.

Anyway, this was a good tough workout, and I feel my abs burning even as I type. Waiter's walking will do that to you :)

Total Time, Heart Rate, Distance, Weight, Sets, Intervals
  • Time: 23:59 - New PR!
  • Heart Rate: 155 BPM
  • Weight: 8 1/2 pound homemade medicine basketball
  • Wallballing Sets: 5
  • Intervals
    • Waiter's Walk - Alternating Left/Right Hand: 180 seconds
    • Wall-less Wallballing - Log Throw and Catch: 10 reps

Luke Seubert 09-12-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meghan Reid (Post 984447)
It's been enlightening and refreshing to read your log, Luke. I really admire your discipline in recording workouts and in getting through them on your own. I'm sure there are a million points during those long walks that you want to just stop and head home, but the fact that you don't is really admirable.

Thank you Meghan for your kinds words - I appreciate it greatly. The discipline in writing down all my workouts and diet info and fat loss metrics is my way of sustaining commitment over time. Establishing such habits helps me to stick with it. Comparing where I am now with where I was weeks and months ago is also a great source of encouragement. Posting it all publicly puts an edge on all of this, helping me to sustain momentum over the long term.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meghan Reid (Post 984447)
Also, I'm really gunning for you to keep this up, because I think your log is already a fantastic resource for training someone who is REALLY out of shape. Many of us here are pretty well-trained compared to the majority of the population, and we forget that there are indeed people out there who get sore from 10 air squats. Not a bad thing, it's just a point on the way to a future goal. I'm hoping to glean some ideas from your workouts to pass on to my mom who is now at a healthy weight through diet but needs to get exercising.

Thanks for the compliment. That is my hope exactly - that this Workout Log will inform and inspire those who are very unfit but who would like to someday do CrossFit. There isn't much material in the CrossFit forums for such folks, and this is my way of addressing that lack.

When I gain more experience and perspective, I will post some of my thoughts on how to exercise effectively despite being severely obese and very unfit. It is possible to lose fat and get more fit, but it takes discipline and work.

Luke Seubert 09-12-2011 04:29 PM

Request For Critique - Upper Body Workout
Most of my various workouts until now have focused on lower body and torso. This is fine, given that I was (and still am) quite unfit and that the lower body was my greatest strength. In this short time, my legs have muscled up a bit, and I definitely have much better muscle tone.

However, while I have worked on building up the lower body and body core, I neglected the upper body. The one workout routine I follow which works the upper body and torso is Shovel Glove, but until I get a proper sledgehammer head, it isn't sufficiently rigorous.

So, I would like to develop an upper body exercise routine to complement the Shovel Glove work, and to start working on my weakest area - upper body strength. (Yes, I know - the Starting Strength program addresses this quite well, but that is still some months away, and some conditioning work in the meantime would be a good thing.)

Below I have listed a workout I call, "Mixed Upper Body Chipper". It includes pushups, pullups, dips, and presses, along with some air squats just to keep the lower body involved and the heart rate up. I would either scale these appropriately as bodyweight exercises (using dumbbells for the presses), or use some heavy duty resistance bands.

Please take a look at this routine listed below and critique it. What do you think of the upper body exercises listed - are there other exercise choices that might be better? What about the order of exercises - should I change them around? Is there some lower body exercise I should do instead of air squats, like Romanian Deadlifts with dumbbells? I am also quite flexible on total time and reps per exercise, as I suspect I will change those once I get into this workout anyway - any suggestions there?

Anyway, please look it over and let me know what you think. The goal here isn't brute upper body strength obviously, but rather, to begin towards that distant goal with some upper body conditioning first.

Mixed Upper Body Chipper
15 Minutes Total Time: 10 reps per exercise - 5 exercises per round - AMRAP
Total Rounds Completed:
  1. Pushups
  2. Pullups
  3. Dips
  4. Presses
  5. Air Squats

Mara Rozitis 09-12-2011 08:03 PM

Hi Luke. I'll just quickly comment on your upper body exercise suggestions for today. There was some earlier stuff I'd like to comment on but that'll have to wait for another day. I think all those exercises are good. Personally, I think you should either do timed sets (like AMRAP 30 sec or 60 sec of each exercise) with rest in between to get the best strength workout with some metcon benefit OR do a number or reps of each for time. I would also say for the sake of fun and variety some deadlifts, thrusters, or other variations after some time has passed. Alternatively, you could add specific strength stuff before any metcons you do now. Like negatives of dips, pushups, pullups, etc. I can see that you like to have something to compare your results with, so in the short term I would say pick one method and do it for a month. Then maybe change it up to a different method. Just my opinion. Keep up the fabulous work!

P.S. I have finally got my scanner working so my little testimonial is not too far off now. Feeling better than ever and staying inspired thanks in large part to your posts!

Luke Seubert 09-13-2011 07:35 AM

Date: September 13, 2011

Conditions
  • Humidity: 91%

Comments
About 3 1/2 minutes into my warmup jog/walk, I accidentally stopped my stopwatch, so I don't have an accurate time for my walk. I didn't jog as much as I did last time, and I am guessing my time was in the high 14's. My heart rate was down as well. I just took it a bit easy today.

I decided yesterday that I need an extra rest day, so I'll skip the Wednesday workout and rest instead, as well as my scheduled Thursday rest day. I was tired and lethargic all of yesterday, which is very unusual for me. My new workouts are more draining than I anticipated, and I'll need to rest a bit more to get caught up and fully recovered. Hey, if Jay Rhodes can take a day off now and then, so can I ;)

Meanwhile, Tabata Kettlebell went well. I completed all 8 cycles with the 20 pound weight. I think I will bump it up to 9 cycles next time. This time, my heart rate only peaked at 166 BPM, which is a significant drop over the past few weeks. It was once up at 176 BPM with a 17.5 pound kettlebell. I think the wallballing and thrusters have played a big part in raising my fitness level here.

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles (Current PR - 13:55 @ 149 BPM on 09/09/11, 3.88 MPH)
  • Time: n/a - accidentally stopped my stopwatch - rough guesstimate is 14 minutes, 50 seconds
  • Heart Rate: 142 BPM

Tabata Kettlebell Swings
  • Kettlebell Weight: 20 pounds
  • Tabata Rounds Completed: 1

Luke Seubert 09-13-2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 984767)
Hi Luke. I'll just quickly comment on your upper body exercise suggestions for today. There was some earlier stuff I'd like to comment on but that'll have to wait for another day. I think all those exercises are good. Personally, I think you should either do timed sets (like AMRAP 30 sec or 60 sec of each exercise) with rest in between to get the best strength workout with some metcon benefit OR do a number or reps of each for time. I would also say for the sake of fun and variety some deadlifts, thrusters, or other variations after some time has passed. Alternatively, you could add specific strength stuff before any metcons you do now. Like negatives of dips, pushups, pullups, etc. I can see that you like to have something to compare your results with, so in the short term I would say pick one method and do it for a month. Then maybe change it up to a different method. Just my opinion. Keep up the fabulous work!

OK, how about something like the following:

4 rounds of the following set of exercises - 15 second interval between each exercise
  1. Pushups - 40 seconds, AMRAP
  2. Pullups - 40 seonds, AMRAP
  3. Air Squats - 40 seonds, AMRAP
  4. Dips - 40 seonds, AMRAP
  5. Presses - 40 seonds, AMRAP
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 984767)
P.S. I have finally got my scanner working so my little testimonial is not too far off now. Feeling better than ever and staying inspired thanks in large part to your posts!

I am looking forward to your testimonial, Mara. I don't follow that forum too closely, so please send me a PM when you do post it.

Mara Rozitis 09-13-2011 03:35 PM

^^^Yowza! I would say that's pretty ambitious. I guess it depends on what your main goal is. If you are primarily looking for metcon, then yeah that's great. If it's strength you're looking for, I would say rest AT LEAST as long as you work, but then hit the work hard. I would even say maybe 1:2 work:rest might be more beneficial but I don't do a lot of these kinds of intervals. You may have to experiment. Personally, my all-time most hated interval is 30 seconds of work and 30 seconds of rest. It especially sucks for wall balls and burpees. Even Tabata pales in comparison for me. Also, since you're already doing some Tabata intervals (shorter rest than work) it might be especially beneficial to make these different, both from a strength and conditioning perspective.

I will most certainly send you a PM when I put the testimonial together.

Luke Seubert 09-14-2011 04:14 AM

Date: September 14, 2011

Today is the end of Week 19 of my fat loss regimen.

Last Week's Bodyweight Trend: 361.5 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight Trend: 358.1 lbs
Last Week's Bodyweight: 357.6 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight: 352.8 lbs
Total Bodyweight Trend Lost to Date: 67.5 lbs
Total Bodyweight Lost to Date: 72.8 lbs

Comments
Big drops this past week in both bodyweight and bodyweight trend. I have also seen good drops in total body measurements and body fat composition, so everything is going well. In fact, I am dropping weight a little too fast, and I might have to increase my caloric intake a bit.

I have an interesting post coming soon entitled, "The Mystery of the Missing Calories", in which I puzzle over and solve an interesting phenomenon that I noticed when I switched to my new dietary regimen. More on all that anon.

Meanwhile, everything is going very well and I am going to enjoy a few needed and deserved rest days. Salut!

Wed, 09/07/11_______357.6 lbs_______361.5 lbs
Thu, 09/08/11_______356.4 lbs_______361.0 lbs
Fri, 09/09/11_______357.6 lbs_______360.7 lbs
Sat, 09/10/11_______354.8 lbs_______360.1 lbs
Sun, 09/11/11_______356.2 lbs_______359.7 lbs
Mon, 09/12/11_______354.8 lbs_______359.2 lbs
Tue, 09/13/11_______354.0 lbs_______358.7 lbs
Wed, 09/14/11_______352.8 lbs_______358.1 lbs

Luke Seubert 09-14-2011 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 985113)
^^^Yowza! I would say that's pretty ambitious. I guess it depends on what your main goal is. If you are primarily looking for metcon, then yeah that's great. If it's strength you're looking for, I would say rest AT LEAST as long as you work, but then hit the work hard. I would even say maybe 1:2 work:rest might be more beneficial but I don't do a lot of these kinds of intervals. You may have to experiment. Personally, my all-time most hated interval is 30 seconds of work and 30 seconds of rest. It especially sucks for wall balls and burpees. Even Tabata pales in comparison for me. Also, since you're already doing some Tabata intervals (shorter rest than work) it might be especially beneficial to make these different, both from a strength and conditioning perspective.

Mara, could you clear up a few points of confusion I have?

How is the second routine I proposed all that much more work than the first one I proposed? The first one was 900 seconds of continuous work, whereas the second one was 800 seconds of total work, with 20 second rest intervals interspersed. In both cases, given my heavy weight and poor upper body conditioning, I would be doing severely scaled exercises. For example, instead of pushups off the floor, pushups off the kitchen countertop.

I understand your point about the differences between strength oriented workouts and metabolic oriented workouts. I am open to doing either one, however, I would like it to compliment my Shovel Glove routine. Scroll up and take a look at my 16 Shovel Glove exercises, and imagine those done with an 8 to 10 pound sledgehammer. I do each exercise for 60 seconds, alternating 4 reps left, 4 reps right, etc.

Now, I assume that Shovel Glove comes under the MetCon category of workouts. If so, I would like Mixed Upper Body Chipper to be more strength oriented. Given this preference, and taking into mind that Shovel Glove is my complementary upper body workout, what sort of routine would you recommend then?

Finally, please bear in mind as you ponder this, that I am still in a very unconditioned state. As such, even MetCon work increases my strength. Most of my lower body oriented workouts, including walking, jogging, kettlebelling, thrusters, and wallballking have been MetCon workouts. And yet, in addition to adding a lot of muscle tone, I have also added some decent amounts of strength. So perhaps a MetCon upper body workout would be sufficient for the time being?

Remember, my big goal at the present time is fat loss, not strength gains nor muscle gains, but fat loss.