CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68244)

Luke Seubert 08-10-2011 10:13 AM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 972914)
Way to go Luke!! :)
The walks are now a warm-up, I like that. Imgaine the day when your kettlebell circuits, the ones you can't complete now, are your warm-ups..... ;)

Heh. Yeah, that will happen someday, but not too soon. The weight of my kettlebell almost doesn't matter, even though I am lowering it a little bit for the next workout. From my videos, it is really obvious that the 130+ pounds of fat in my belly is what is making the kettlebelling so hard. Once I drop that, then I'll move up to those crazy 3 pood kettlebells with ease :D

Luke Seubert 08-11-2011 06:37 AM

WOD - Medicine Ball Fun Day

Date: August 11, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 73 F
  • Humidity: 74%
  • Heat Index: 75 F

Comments
I have accomplished one-third of my goals for this 3-On cycle - I finished all my Rx'd exercises for today. I completed my 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles warmup walk, and with a new PR of 16:37, which bested my old one by 9 seconds. Again, I wasn't pushing all that hard, but the miles just get easier and easier.

Pacing myself, I took a break and enjoyed the cool, breezy early morning and the rustling trees. I then worked through my entire Dynamic Stretching routine and finished that all warmed up and loose and flexible.

After another pacing myself break, I worked my way through the Solo Medicine Ball Medley, completing all of the exercises this time. I slowed down on the earlier exercises, and paced myself all the way through, my goal being completion rather than speed. Once again, my abs are a bit sore right now, but that is OK. The two surprise tough-for-me exercises were Lateral Lunges and Overhead Orbits. These exercises really stressed my core muscles and made them bark.

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles
  • Time: 16:37 New PR!
  • Heart Rate: 135 BPM

Stretch - Mostly Dynamic Stretching Routine
  1. Marching Arms with Neck Rolls
  2. Arm Hugs
  3. Shoulder Rolls
  4. Windmills
  5. Torso Twists
  6. Lateral Torso Stretches
  7. Bent Knees Ankle Touches
  8. Hip Wangers
  9. Leg Swings
  10. Leg Side Swipes
  11. Knee Pumps
  12. Swedish Twists
  13. Hurdler's Drill
  14. Quadriceps Stretch
  15. Calf Stretch
  16. Hamstring Stretch
  17. Full Body Stretch

SMBM - Solo Medicine Ball Medley (WFS)
60 seconds per exercise - AMRAP. 10 second rest interval between exercises. 8 1/2 pound ball. Grassy slope.
  1. Standing Two-Arm Overhead Throw
  2. Two-Arm Overhead Throw with Shoulder Rotation - Alternating
  3. Ancient "Stone" Throw
  4. Ancient "Hammer" Throw
  5. Ancient "Log" Throw
  6. Trunk Twist Throw - Alternating
  7. Trunk Extend & Flex
  8. Trunk Rotations
  9. Lateral Lunges
  10. Medicine Ball Pikes
  11. Soccer Pickup Toss
  12. Overhead Orbits - Alternating
  13. Kneeling Two-Arm Put
  14. Adduction Knee Toss

Luke Seubert 08-12-2011 09:58 AM

WOD - Tabata Kettlebell Hell Day

Date: August 12, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 73 F
  • Humidity: 68%
  • Heat Index: 75 F

Comments
Wow! Missed it by that much! I missed my PR by 1 second when I went on the 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles walk. I guess there is a certain gait, a stride rhythm, that I find hard to get past. Howevere, there was something very interesting about this walk. When I walked the 1.1 miles in 18:31 a few weeks ago, my heart rate was 144 BPM. This time, my time was 18:32, but my heart rate was 137 BPM. So I got the same amount of work done, but with less effort. Almost a month ago, my time was 18:50 but my heart rate was 152 BPM. Conclusion? The exercise pays off - I am steadily getting fitter. Specifically, I am getting stronger with more muscular endurance, as walking requires less effort. The hilly walk is faster because going up hills is easier because I am getting stronger.

All that said, I wonder if I would have broken my PR if I had not taken my free meal last night and had not eaten a bunch of French burnt peanuts? I'll have to repeat this walk again soon, only this time, after several days of pure Paleo eating.

I did my stretching routine, and all went well with it.

As for Tabata Kettlebell Hell, I completed 7/8's of a Tabata round. I got through 5 cycless OK, and then had to take a long breather on the #6 cycle. I resumed after that, and completed the 7th and 8th cycles. While I would have preferred to properly finish an entire Tabata Kettlebell round, I am proud to have managed 7/8's. With continued work, I'll get there and finish an entire round, someday soon.

Warmup - 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles (Current PR - 18:31)
  • Time: 18:32
  • Heart Rate: 137 BPM

2. Arm Hugs
  3. Shoulder Rolls
  4. Windmills
  5. Torso Twists
  8. Hip Wangers
  9. Leg Swings
  10. Leg Side Swipes
  11. Knee Pumps
  12. Swedish Twists
  13. Hurdler's Drill
  14. Quadriceps Stretch
  15. Calf Stretch
  16. Hamstring Stretch
  17. Full Body Stretch

Tabata Kettlebell Swings
20 seconds on, 10 seconds off. Repeat 8 times. 4 minutes per round.
  • Kettlebell Weight: 17 pounds
  • Swing: Two-handed Russian
  • Tabata Rounds Completed: 7/8's of 1 round
  • Rest Interval Between Rounds: n/a

Xavier Berges 08-12-2011 03:44 PM

After reading through you're thread this is really amazing and inspiring. Your level of dedication and meticulous planning is amazing. I really like reading through threads like these because it gives me a heap of motivation and makes me want to wish you to continue at your best and improve yourself.

This is one of the things I like most about human beings and which I value the most. It is not where you are right now or have been in the past, but how where you plan to be in the future and what you're doing today to improve it.

Thank you for the inspiration, I will definitively follow your thread and try to give the knowledge and motivation that I can!!

Luke Seubert 08-13-2011 06:42 AM

Saturday Weekly Body Measurements Update
Date: August 13, 2011

Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 951.0 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 941.5 cm
Beginning Date for Body Measurements - May 14, 2011 - Total Body Measurements: 1009.5
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 68.0 cm

Comments
I am pleased yet ambivalent with this weeks results. On the one hand, I dropped 9.5 cm in my Total Body Measurements, which is the most that I have ever dropped in one week. This is much improved from two weeks ago, when I gained 1.5 cm after seeing a long slowdown in my body measurements loss rate. So the 9.5 cm is good. The more intense exercise has reversed a bad trend.

On the other hand, that 9.5 cm mostly came from the wrong places. Most of it comes from small losses in my limb measurements. For example, I had a bit of swelling in my left leg last Saturday, which inflated those numbers. This week, the swelling is gone, and I am back to normal, losing 3.5 cm in the process. The same applies to other limb measurements in lesser degree.

My big three, Chest, Waist, and Hips saw mixed results. Chest was the same, and Waist was practically the same, while Hips did decline by 2.5 cm. I don't quite know what to make of this. I can see where my exercises have led to some muscle growth which may have hidden fat loss, which would account for such modest losses on the big three, but this doesn't really explain everything. I mean, how much can my abs really grow? Not that much. I really need to be seeing more fat loss around my waist, which is where the overwhelming majority of my fat is located. And if my muscles are growing, how come my hip measurement declined so much? Especially given all the exercises I have been doing that focus on those muscles.

So I am pleased, but puzzled. I like the big drop in measurements, but would prefer to see those drops coming from other areas, and I don't quite know why that is happening. I realize that body measurements are not always precise and accurate, and I just might have taken some bad readings this week. Well, we'll see what happens over time. Another few weeks of my new exercise regimen should clearly drive things in a certain direction, and that should show up on my tape measure.

Body Measurements for Last Week and This Week
An explanation about "Total Body Measurements" and how I use body measurements to assess fat loss over time may be found in my previous post, "The Humble Tape Measure: Simple But Oh So Useful" (WFS).

Right Thigh: 68.0 cm, 67.5 cm
Right Calf: 50.5 cm, 50.0 cm
Right Ankle: 28.0 cm, 28.0 cm

Left Thigh: 70.5 cm, 69.5 cm
Left Calf: 52.5 cm, 51.0 cm
Left Ankle: 29.0 cm, 28.0 cm

Right Arm: 39.5 cm, 39.0 cm
Right Forearm: 34.0 cm, 33.5 cm
Right Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Left Arm: 42.5 cm, 42.0 cm
Left Forearm: 34.0 cm, 34.0 cm
Left Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Neck: 44.5 cm, 44.0 cm
Chest: 140.0 cm, 140.0 cm
Waist: 153.0 cm, 152.5 cm
Hips: 125.0 cm, 122.5 cm

Luke Seubert 08-13-2011 06:46 AM

WOD - Shovel Glove Fun Day (WFS)

Date: August 13, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 72 F
  • Humidity: 87%
  • Heat Index: 72 F

Comments
My warmup walk went well, although casually. I intentionally took a slower pace than usual given that my muscles are still recovering from yesterday's Tabata Kettlebell routine. Surprisingly, my muscles didn't feel too sore - just a little bit, and also rather tense and tight. I do believe that is called good muscle tone. Anyway, I took a casual stroll this time, to get warmed up and loosened up for Shovel Glove, and to work on some previously well-exercised muscles.

Stretching went well, and I paid especial attention to my leg muscles, making sure I thoroughly stretched them out. Interestingly, yesterday when I stretched out, I had a wee bit of tenderness in my lower back, near where the spine meets the pelvis, and had to go easy on certain stretches and movements that stress that area. This is something I have had for a long time, given the load my belly puts on my lower back. It comes and goes, and it is not severe. Today though, when I stretched, that tenderness was gone. This surprised me, because yesterday was Kettlebell Day, and that is definitely a motion that one would think would stress my lower back. But today, it was just fine. I believe that in stressing it, I also strengthened it.

The Shovel Glove went quite well. With more practice, the routine is getting smoother now. Once I get in a full Tabata Kettlebell round, I'll move up to a proper sledge hammer for the Shovel Glove exercises. I changed the Pump Water routine to make it more dynamic, and less of an upright row.

I can feel a bit of burn in my abs again, which is exactly what I want. My arms and shoulders got a good workout too. And it feels like the residual soreness from yesterday's kettlebell work is gone. I exercised most all of that away. Good stuff. Here comes Rest Day.

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles (Current PR - 16:37 @ 135 BPM)
  • Time: 17:40
  • Heart Rate: 130 BPM

2. Arm Hugs
  3. Shoulder Rolls
  4. Windmills
  5. Torso Twists
  8. Hip Wangers
  9. Leg Swings
  10. Leg Side Swipes
  11. Knee Pumps
  12. Swedish Twists
  13. Hurdler's Drill
  14. Quadriceps Stretch
  15. Calf Stretch
  16. Hamstring Stretch
  17. Full Body Stretch

Shovel Glove Medley (WFS)
60 seconds per exercise - AMRAP. 10 second rest interval between exercises. 2 pound aluminum baseball bat.
  1. Driving Fence Posts (WFS)
  2. Flip the Lever (WFS)
  3. Stoke the Oven (WFS)
  4. Hoist the Sack (WFS)
  5. Shovel (WFS)
  6. Pull Weeds (WFS)
  7. Chop Wood (WFS)
  8. Churning Butter (WFS)
  9. Chop the Tree (WFS)
  10. Moulinet (WFS)
  11. Tuck Bales (WFS)
  12. Fireman (WFS)
  13. Samurai Thrust (WFS)
  14. Paddle Canoe (WFS)
  15. Reaping the Wheat (WFS)
  16. Pump Water (WFS)

Luke Seubert 08-13-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier Berges (Post 974005)
After reading through you're thread this is really amazing and inspiring. Your level of dedication and meticulous planning is amazing. I really like reading through threads like these because it gives me a heap of motivation and makes me want to wish you to continue at your best and improve yourself.

This is one of the things I like most about human beings and which I value the most. It is not where you are right now or have been in the past, but how where you plan to be in the future and what you're doing today to improve it.

Thank you for the inspiration, I will definitively follow your thread and try to give the knowledge and motivation that I can!!

Hi Xavier!

Thank you very much for your kind words of encouragement and complimentation. (Hmm, is complimentation even a word? I guess so - I just used it in a sentence.)

I am glad you found my Workout Log and posts and conversations to be both informative and inspirational. That was one of my main goals in starting the Workout Log. I look forward to your contributions to it as well, as I hope to leave a record of inspirational information that others may someday follow. So please do follow along and post along as well. Thank you.

Luke Seubert 08-14-2011 04:25 AM

WOD - Rest Day
  • Date: August 14, 2011

Comments
Yesterday afternoon I was fairly sore. There was a delayed soreness effect after my morning Shovel Glove workout, with some spillover from the Kettlebell the previous day. This morning it is better, and I should be ready to go come Monday morning. However, if not, I will take an extra rest day before resuming my next 3-On Cycle. That, or just do a light workout day, like a 2.0 Flat and Hilly Miles walk with some stretching.

Below are my immediate goals for my next 3-On cycle. However, I have some longer term goals with this particular exercise routine. I plan to work on it for the next 6 to 10 weeks, which would be between now and late September to late October. At that time, I will incorporate Starting Strength workouts. In the meantime, my goals are to get better at Medicine Ball, Tabata Kettlebell, and Shovel Glove - to complete the Rx'd exercises, and to gradually do so more quickly, or by adding additional cycles and rounds to the Kettelbell work. Even going at a slow pace, and with incomplete Tabata rounds, these exercises are hard for me to do. By continuing to work on them, and getting stronger and better at them, I will further my fat loss regimen while improving my fitness.

Goals for Next 3-On Cycle
  1. Complete 1 entire Tabata Kettlebell round.
  2. Complete all other exercise routines as R'xd.

Mara Rozitis 08-14-2011 02:48 PM

Just a quick note to say keep up the good work! The loss of inches you are seeing is amazing! Yes, I also wish I could lose more from my waist and less from my legs and hips, with which I am perfectly happy. Unfortunately, fat loss isn't linear and almost never happens in our preferred pattern. Also, you mention some soreness in your abs, which means they are likely at least a little inflamed. Every time you lose an inch you are getting closer to your goal, even if it's not exactly where you would pick if you had a choice. Maybe next week it will all come off your waist-and even if it doesn't, you will still be closer to your goal than you were last week.

Luke Seubert 08-15-2011 05:54 AM

Monday Weekly Body Fat Composition Update
  • Date: August 15, 2011

BFC Average 2 Weeks Ago: 41.3% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
BFC Average 1 Week Ago: 41.0%
Current BFC Average: 40.6%
Beginning Date for BFC - May 4, 2011 - BFC Average Then: 44.6% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
Total BFC Average Lost to Date: 4.0%

Comments
The past week has gone well for BFC readings. After a rapid drop early in the week, the rate of decline slowed thereafter, resulting in a 0.4% drop in BFC Average for the entire week. This compares very well with last week's 0.3% drop. More importantly, the rate of loss over longer periods of time, such as 2 weeks or 4 weeks, is back up where it should be, with body measurements confirming the trend.

So, basically, I will keep on doing what I have been doing. Following my PaleoZone Diet pretty closely and sticking with the more rigorous exercise regimen.

BFC Readings and Average For The Past Two Weeks
The BFC Average listed below is a simple 7 day moving average. It tends to overstate current BFC slightly as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic BFC readings and shows the actual BFC rate of change over time. Readers curious to know more about how to effectively use an Omron or any other bioelectrical impedance body fat composition meter should read my previous post, "How to Get Semi-Useful Body Fat Composition Data Out of a Bioelectrical Impedance Analyzer" (WFS).

__Date_______BFC Reading_____BFC Average
Mon, 08/01/11_______40.9%_______41.3%
Tue, 08/02/11_______41.0%_______41.2%
Wed, 08/03/11_______41.0%_______41.2%
Thu, 08/04/11_______41.2%_______41.2%
Fri, 08/05/11_______40.8%_______41.1%
Sat, 08/06/11_______41.1%_______41.1%
Sun, 08/07/11_______40.9%_______41.0%
Mon, 08/08/11_______40.8%_______41.0%
Tue, 08/09/11_______40.6%_______40.9%
Wed, 08/10/11_______40.3%_______40.8%
Thu, 08/11/11_______40.6%_______40.7%
Fri, 08/12/11_______40.8%_______40.7%
Sat, 08/13/11_______40.7%_______40.7%
Sun, 08/14/11_______40.6%_______40.6%
Mon, 08/15/11_______40.5%_______40.6%

Luke Seubert 08-15-2011 06:01 AM

WOD - Walking Day
  • Date: August 15, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 69 F
  • Humidity: 95%
  • Heat Index: 69 F

Comments
Today, I skipped the usual Medicine Ball Fun Day workout, and substituted my 2.0 Flat and Hilly Miles walk. My grassy slope for solo medicine balling was still soaking wet from the heavy rain storms last night, and my hamstrings and adductors were still a bit sore from the last 3-On cycle. So, I decided to take a bit of a break and go walking instead.

However, while taking a break, I still walked pretty hard. I set two new PRs, one in the overall 2.0 mile walk, and also a new PR in my 0.9 mile walk, which I checked with a split time. So I continue to get more fit, while exercising hard. Interestingly, most of the gains I made in my 2.0 Mile PR came from the Hilly half of the walk. I have been getting much faster on the hills thanks to greater strength and stamina from my other exercises. My speed on the flat section didn't change too much. Details below.
0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles
Today: New PR! - 16:19 @ 145 BPM, 3.31 MPH
Old PR: 16:37 @ 137 BPM, 3.25 MPH

1.1 Mostly Flat Miles
Today: 18:51 @ 145 BPM, 3.50 MPH
Current PR: 18:31 @ 144 BPM, 3.56 MPH

2.0 Flat and Hilly Miles
Today: New PR! - 35:10 @ 145 BPM, 3.41 MPH
Old PR: 35:40 @ 147 BPM, 3.36 MPH

Walk - 2.0 Flat and Hilly Miles (Current PR - 35:10 @ 145 BPM on 08/15/11, 3.41 MPH)
  • Time: 35:10 - New PR!
  • Heart Rate: 145 BPM

Luke Seubert 08-15-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 974605)
Just a quick note to say keep up the good work! The loss of inches you are seeing is amazing! Yes, I also wish I could lose more from my waist and less from my legs and hips, with which I am perfectly happy. Unfortunately, fat loss isn't linear and almost never happens in our preferred pattern. Also, you mention some soreness in your abs, which means they are likely at least a little inflamed. Every time you lose an inch you are getting closer to your goal, even if it's not exactly where you would pick if you had a choice. Maybe next week it will all come off your waist-and even if it doesn't, you will still be closer to your goal than you were last week.

My hypothesis for belly fat folks like us, Mara, is a concept from inventory accounting called LIFO - Last In, First Out. The idea is that you first accumulate fat in the belly, and later other areas, such as legs, arms, neck, etc. Then, when you go to lose fat, you first lose fat where it was last packed on, those extremities. Then, once you get that fat off, the belly fat comes off. It is just an idea, but it might make sense.

I went back and looked at my Body Measurements data, and I found some interesting things. When I look at the losses as a percentage of my beginning measurements, I have indeed lost the most fat from my belly, both in absolute terms as well as a percentage. So I can't complain too much about also losing fat off of all the other areas. Here are the numbers:
  • R Thigh: -5.6%
  • R Calf: -6.5%
  • R Ankle: -6.8%
  • L Thigh: -7.3%
  • L Calf: -5.6%
  • L Ankle: -6.7%
  • R Arm: -6.3%
  • R Forearm: -5.6%
  • R Wrist: -4.8%
  • L Arm: -7.8%
  • L Forearm: -6.8%
  • L Wrist: -2.4%
  • Neck: -7.4%
  • Chest: -7.3%
  • Waist: -9.8%
  • Hips: -6.8%

Interestingly, when I began, my left limbs had higher measurements than my right limbs, especially my arms and thighs. This was due to larger fat deposits, not larger muscles, as I am in fact right-handed. This left-right asymmetry is starting to even out, and both limbs are approaching equal measurements.

Dustin Standel 08-15-2011 04:52 PM

Luke I continue to be impressed not only by your progress, but by the pace of progress you have been maintaining. That type of consistency only comes through dedicated hard work and true commitment.
Thank you for choosing to share this with us.

Luke Seubert 08-16-2011 04:52 AM

WOD - Rest Day
  • Date: August 16, 2011

Comments
Today is an unscheduled rest day, and so is tomorrow. After finishing my 2 mile walk yesterday, I was left unusually sore and tired. And a 2 mile walk shouldn't effect me that much. Since my diet and sleep have been good, I concluded that I am not fully recovered from my tougher exercise regimen. While I do not feel especially sore or stiff, I do feel tired and slow. This is one of the symptoms of too much exercise. Other, more mild symptoms include: heavy-legged feeling, loss of coordination, and loss of appetite.

So, I will back off and rest up for a few days, and hit the ground running for the next cycle. I should be fully recovered and refreshed, and ready to get some hard work done.

Goals for Next 3-On Cycle
  1. Complete all exercise routines as Rx'd, including 1 full round of Tabata kettlebell.
  2. Carefully monitor my condition, looking for symptoms of excess exercise.

Luke Seubert 08-16-2011 04:56 AM

From my extensive fitness files, the following information seems especially appropriate to post today...

Symptoms Associated With Overexercising:
  • Higher resting heart rate (10+ BPM over norm)
  • Poor coordination
  • Slower reaction time
  • Depression or apathy
  • Sleep problems
  • Impaired performance
  • Loss of appetite
  • Joint pain
  • Irritability
  • Drawn appearance
  • Diarrhea
  • Muscle pain
  • Fatigue or lethargy
  • Heavy-legged feeling

If Four or Five of the Symptoms Are Present:
  • Exercise more gently,
  • Take a few days off,
  • Or allow more time between workouts.

Luke Seubert 08-16-2011 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Standel (Post 975028)
Luke I continue to be impressed not only by your progress, but by the pace of progress you have been maintaining. That type of consistency only comes through dedicated hard work and true commitment. Thank you for choosing to share this with us.

Thank you, Dustin, I appreciate your kind words.

Ironically, following through on long-term projects is actually a weakness of mine. This isn't the first time I have tried losing weight before. I began the process many times - didn't finish it though. So the sort of consistency and persistence you see me displaying here is actually not the norm for me, and requires a tremendous amount of effort and reprogramming of my head to pull off.

Developing long-term follow-through and persistence is a matter of developing new habits. This time, I am implementing almost all of the ideas from that "Zen Habits: Top 20 Motivation Hacks" (WFS) post I made a while back. That certainly helps.

Also, I did a lot more research and study this time, since I often find I can use my intellect to overcome my weaknesses and flaws. This time, I found out about Paleo and Zone diets, as well as CrossFit exercise. This new and more correct knowledge should also help me to follow through.

And of course, the occasional word of encouragement and support on these forums likewise helps. Many thanks to all those who post here. I couldn't do it without your continued support.

Luke Seubert 08-17-2011 04:20 AM

Wednesday Weekly Trend and Bodyweight Update

Date: August 17, 2011

Today is the end of Week 15 of my fat loss regimen.

Last Week's Bodyweight Trend: 372.0 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight Trend: 369.1 lbs
Last Week's Bodyweight: 366.4 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight: 364.2 lbs
Beginning Date for Bodyweight Measurements - May 4, 2011 - Bodyweight: 425.6 lbs
Total Bodyweight Trend Lost to Date: 56.5 lbs
Total Bodyweight Lost to Date: 61.4 lbs

Comments
This was another good week on the bodyweight front. I am consistently losing weight at the desired rate - high 2's to low 3's - pounds per week. With exercise and enough calories, this is enough to lose fat but not so much muscle. Unfortunately, after a nice loss last week, the BFC measurements aren't doing well. I'll have to see what is going on with the tape measure come Saturday.

My Paleo diet is going quite well, with no major hiccups or problems. My exercise program is going well too, producing notable gains in fitness in a few limited metrics. For the present, I am taking a few rest days, but will be exercising again at the end of the week.

Bodyweight and Trend for the Past Week
The Trend listed below is an exponential moving average with 10% smoothing. It tends to overstate current bodyweight as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic bodyweight readings and shows the actual bodyweight loss rate over time. An explanation of the "Trend" calculation's utility may be found in my previous post, "Turning Bodyweight Into A Semi-Useful Metric" (WFS).

______Date________Bodyweight_________Trend
Wed, 08/10/11_______366.4 lbs_______372.0 lbs
Thu, 08/11/11_______366.8 lbs_______371.5 lbs
Fri, 08/12/11_______366.8 lbs_______371.0 lbs
Sat, 08/13/11_______367.8 lbs_______370.7 lbs
Sun, 08/14/11_______367.4 lbs_______370.4 lbs
Mon, 08/15/11_______366.6 lbs_______370.0 lbs
Tue, 08/16/11_______365.8 lbs_______369.6 lbs
Wed, 08/17/11_______364.2 lbs_______369.1 lbs

Arturo Garcia 08-17-2011 03:16 PM

364, nice, the 100 pounds lost mark is near. That will probably make you feel quite happy. Then there's the 300-pound barrier shortly after that. Should only motivate you more. I'm quite happy for you Luke.

Also I only had time to read your e-mail today, and read the three links. Interesting stuff, to say the least. Thanks for them. :)

Luke Seubert 08-17-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 975915)
364, nice, the 100 pounds lost mark is near. That will probably make you feel quite happy. Then there's the 300-pound barrier shortly after that. Should only motivate you more. I'm quite happy for you Luke.

While I am aware of the upcoming 325.6, i.e. 100 pounds lost, benchmark; as well as the 300 pounds of bodyweight benchmark; I use a different set of benchmarks. Also, I never go by my bodyweight when noting these progress markers - I go by Bodyweight Trend, which I consider more reliable for such things, even if it does lag behind bodyweight.

Anyway, here are the benchmarks I have set up for myself, based upon percentage of bodyweight lost, and how many pounds of bodyweight that would be:
5% 404.3 lbs
10% 383.0 lbs
15% 361.8 lbs
20% 340.5 lbs
25% 319.2 lbs
30% 297.9 lbs
35% 276.6 lbs
40% 255.4 lbs
45% 234.1 lbs
So my next big benchmark is 15%, or 361.8 pounds. I am projecting about 2 1/2 weeks, maybe less, until Bodyweight Trend hits that one.

Dipping below 340 will be a big deal for me. It has been many, many years since I carried around so little weight. Probably nearly 20 years. So that 20% bodyweight lost benchmark will be a big deal too.

And actually, I am pretty happy every time I drop down into a new decade, going from the 370's to the 360's, and from the 360's down to the 350's, is a happy event. This sort of simple but steady achievement of small goals makes persistence easier for me. Right now, focusing on a long term goal, like bodyweight in the 230's, is just too far away.

I'll have to post a note about what sort of goals I have along those lines. It isn't exactly simple. Which is typical, given how I like to complicate things :D

Luke Seubert 08-17-2011 04:21 PM

Informative Articles About Belly Fat
Arturo Garcia asked me to do some research into the different kinds of belly fat, the hard and the soft kinds, that is; and find out more about them, their health impact, their cause, and how to get rid of them.

Below are three informative articles from quality sources about this topic. Since I have shared them with Arturo, I thought I would share them with everybody else as well.

Mara Rozitis 08-17-2011 05:52 PM

I don't have a lot of time to read all your links today, but I definitely will get around to it in the next few days. You are doing an amazing job, both with the weight loss/fitness gains and the incredible research and resources you post for the rest of us to use. I am really grateful for the links you've posted, as I'm not one to do a whole lot of goal-oriented research online. It's really helpful to have everything right there ready for me to read! And you are definitely an inspiration. Yay Luke!

Dustin Standel 08-17-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Seubert (Post 975180)
Thank you, Dustin, I appreciate your kind words.

Ironically, following through on long-term projects is actually a weakness of mine. This isn't the first time I have tried losing weight before. I began the process many times - didn't finish it though. So the sort of consistency and persistence you see me displaying here is actually not the norm for me, and requires a tremendous amount of effort and reprogramming of my head to pull off.

Developing long-term follow-through and persistence is a matter of developing new habits. This time, I am implementing almost all of the ideas from that "Zen Habits: Top 20 Motivation Hacks" (WFS) post I made a while back. That certainly helps.

Also, I did a lot more research and study this time, since I often find I can use my intellect to overcome my weaknesses and flaws. This time, I found out about Paleo and Zone diets, as well as CrossFit exercise. This new and more correct knowledge should also help me to follow through.

And of course, the occasional word of encouragement and support on these forums likewise helps. Many thanks to all those who post here. I couldn't do it without your continued support.

Believe it or not Luke, you are not alone. The majority of people have trouble instituting behavioral change. Lord knows I do. One thing I have found useful I found on a different CrossFit site - CrossFit Faith. They have cover personal and spiritual growth as well as fitness. They have a whole roadmap and how to for developing better habits.

Take a look. It may be something you can use as well.

:pepper:

Continue the good work.

Luke Seubert 08-19-2011 08:42 AM

WOD - Medicine Ball Fun Day

Date: August 19, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 70 F
  • Humidity: 91%
  • Heat Index: 70 F

Comments
Back in the saddle again! I am back to my regular 3-On, 1-Off Cycle. Refreshed and revitalized, I hope to do very well with this new cycle. It will be interesting to see if I have to repeat a long break again in a few weeks or not. Hopefully, as I get stronger and more fit, I can go longer without having to take off a few days of rest.

Anyway, I started things off with a bang by smashing my PR on the 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles walk. I dropped 33 seconds and 3 BPM off of my old PR in setting the new one. This is a substanial gain, as my rate of speed on this walk, 3.42 MPH, is now faster than my rate of speed on the 2.0 Flat and Hilly Miles walk, 3.41 MPH. That is a big gain! Simply put, I am going up AND down the hills much faster than I once did, and with less effort. The toughest hill on the Hilly walk once put my heart rate into the low 170's. Now, it doesn't budge above 160, despite the fact that I am walking that hill at a significantly faster rate than I did in the past. Good stuff.

The stretching routine went well, and I got all my muscles nicely warmed up and loose.

As for the Medicine Ball Medley, I changed the exercise routine. I removed the Pike, Soccer Toss, Kneeling Throw, and Abduction Toss, replacing them with the tougher Two-Armed Overhead Throw, and the Stone, Hammer, and Log Throws. I am too heavy to do the Pike and Soccer Tosses - I can't jump while holding the medicine ball with my feet, and my medicine ball might be too heavy for that as well. The Kneeling Throw and Abduction Toss weren't too effective either. All the exercises I subbed in are tougher and harder, making this a harder workout, but a better one.

Anyway, I completed the new Medicine Ball Medley and worked up a very good sweat, and really got my heart rate and respiration elevated. My medicine ball has a hole in it which I will have to patch, but otherwise everything went well and I am happily rehydrating now.

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles (Old PR - 16:19 @ 145 BPM on 08/15/11, 3.31 MPH)
  • Time: 15:46 - New PR!! (3.42 MPH)
  • Heart Rate: 142 BPM

2. Arm Hugs
  3. Shoulder Rolls
  4. Windmills
  5. Torso Twists
  8. Hip Wangers
  9. Leg Swings
  10. Leg Side Swipes
  11. Knee Pumps
  12. Swedish Twists
  13. Hurdler's Drill
  14. Quadriceps Stretch
  15. Calf Stretch
  16. Hamstring Stretch
  17. Full Body Stretch

SMBM - Solo Medicine Ball Medley (WFS)
60 seconds per exercise - AMRAP. 10 second rest interval between exercises. 8 1/2 pound ball. Grassy slope.
  1. Standing Two-Arm Overhead Throw
  2. Two-Arm Overhead Throw with Shoulder Rotation - Alternating
  3. Ancient "Stone" Throw
  4. Ancient "Hammer" Throw
  5. Ancient "Log" Throw
  6. Trunk Twist Throw - Alternating
  7. Trunk Extend & Flex
  8. Trunk Rotations
  9. Lateral Lunges
  10. Standing Two-Arm Overhead Throw
  11. Ancient "Stone" Throw
  12. Overhead Orbits - Alternating
  13. Ancient "Hammer" Throw
  14. Ancient "Log" Throw

Luke Seubert 08-19-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 975955)
I don't have a lot of time to read all your links today, but I definitely will get around to it in the next few days. You are doing an amazing job, both with the weight loss/fitness gains and the incredible research and resources you post for the rest of us to use. I am really grateful for the links you've posted, as I'm not one to do a whole lot of goal-oriented research online. It's really helpful to have everything right there ready for me to read! And you are definitely an inspiration. Yay Luke!

Thanks, Mara. I am glad the information I am posting is proving useful. That was a big part of my original purpose in setting up this Workout Log. Hopefully I'll have enough time soon to post some more informative stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Standel (Post 975996)
Believe it or not Luke, you are not alone. The majority of people have trouble instituting behavioral change. Lord knows I do. One thing I have found useful I found on a different CrossFit site - CrossFit Faith. They have cover personal and spiritual growth as well as fitness. They have a whole roadmap and how to for developing better habits.

Take a look. It may be something you can use as well.

Thanks, Dustin. I'll take a look over the suggestions on that site and see if there is anything I can use.

Luke Seubert 08-20-2011 03:49 AM

Date: August 20, 2011

Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 941.5 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 939.5 cm
Beginning Date for Body Measurements - May 14, 2011 - Total Body Measurements: 1009.5
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 70.0 cm

Comments
This was an oddly lackluster week. There was a slight loss overall, which while nice, wasn't too much. Chest came down, which is good, and the waist is at a new low - 152.0 to 153.0 over the last three weeks. Most everything else is stable, with minor variations here and there.

My bodyweight loss continues apace while my BFC readings have held steady. I was resting for quite a few days this past week. I will see what more exercise and continuing to follow the diet do for me.

An explanation about "Total Body Measurements" and how I use body measurements to assess fat loss over time may be found in my previous post, "The Humble Tape Measure: Simple But Oh So Useful" (WFS).

Right Thigh: 67.5 cm, 68.0 cm
Right Calf: 50.0 cm, 50.0 cm
Right Ankle: 28.0cm, 28.0 cm

Left Thigh: 69.5 cm, 70.0 cm
Left Calf: 51.0 cm, 51.5 cm
Left Ankle: 28.0 cm, 28.0 cm

Right Arm: 39.0 cm, 39.0 cm
Right Forearm: 33.5 cm, 33.5 cm

Left Arm: 42.0 cm, 41.0 cm

Neck: 44.0 cm, 44.0 cm
Chest: 140.0 cm, 138.0 cm
Waist: 152.5 cm, 152.0 cm
Hips: 122.5 cm, 122.5 cm

Luke Seubert 08-20-2011 09:57 PM

WOD - Tabata Kettlebell Hell Day

Date: August 20, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 65 F
  • Humidity: 97%
  • Heat Index: 65 F

Comments
FINALLY! I broke through the blasted 18:31 barrier on my 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles walk and set a new PR. Set it be a nice amount too, 27 seconds, with a drop in heart rate of 2 BPM. Same amount of work, done faster and with less effort. This is progress. Interesting, when I combine my hilly walk with 2 round trips of my flat walk, I get 3.1 miles, which is 5k. So one of these days, I'll do a 5k and see what that time is like.

I pulled my left quadricep a little bit while stretching my hamstring, so I delayed any further stretching as well as the Tabata Kettlebell. I'll try again later in the day...

Later in the day, my back is touchy, so my only exercise for this day was walking and stretching.

Warmup - 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles (Old PR - 18:31 @ 144 BPM on 07/26/11, 3.56 MPH)
  • Time: 18:04, 3.65 MPH
  • Heart Rate: 142 BPM

2. Arm Hugs
  3. Shoulder Rolls
  4. Windmills
  5. Torso Twists
  8. Hip Wangers
  9. Leg Swings
  10. Leg Side Swipes
  11. Knee Pumps
  12. Swedish Twists
  13. Hurdler's Drill
  14. Quadriceps Stretch
  15. Calf Stretch
  16. Hamstring Stretch
  17. Full Body Stretch

Luke Seubert 08-21-2011 07:51 AM

WOD - All Nighter
I got a nifty new UNIX shell account, and couldn't stop playing around with various perl script blog engines and creating and wiping multiple blogs.

So.... yeah, I totally geeked out and was up most of the night. Too tired to exercise and get my overdue ToDo List done today. C'est la vie!

Luke Seubert 08-22-2011 01:50 PM

• Date: August 22, 2011

BFC Average 2 Weeks Ago: 41.0% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
BFC Average 1 Week Ago: 40.6%
Current BFC Average: 40.6%
Beginning Date for BFC - May 4, 2011 - BFC Average Then: 44.6% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
Total BFC Average Lost to Date: 4.0%

Comments
Not the best week ever for Body Fat Composition. After gaining a tenth of a percent early on and holding there, I finally dropped back a tenth and wound up the same place I was last week.

Two causes. One, I added a year to my personal information on the Omron, and it started showing a slightly higher reading, so that accounts for some of this. Also, my diet was a bit goofed up last week, as I had to eat fewer but larger meals, with more fat and protein than usual. And possibly larger portions as well, though I continue losing bodyweight at a steady pace.

Anyway, I am back on track now with the diet, and should see better progress ahead.

The BFC Average listed below is a simple 7 day moving average. It tends to overstate current BFC slightly as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic BFC readings and shows the actual BFC rate of change over time. Readers curious to know more about how to effectively use an Omron or any other bioelectrical impedance body fat composition meter should read my previous post, "How to Get Semi-Useful Body Fat Composition Data Out of a Bioelectrical Impedance Analyzer" (WFS).

Mon, 08/08/11_______40.8%_______41.0%
Tue, 08/09/11_______40.6%_______40.9%
Wed, 08/10/11_______40.3%_______40.8%
Thu, 08/11/11_______40.6%_______40.7%
Fri, 08/12/11_______40.8%_______40.7%
Sat, 08/13/11_______40.7%_______40.7%
Sun, 08/14/11_______40.6%_______40.6%
Tue, 08/16/11_______40.8%_______40.6%
Wed, 08/17/11_______41.0%_______40.7%
Thu, 08/18/11_______40.7%_______40.7%
Fri, 08/19/11_______40.9%_______40.7%
Sat, 08/20/11_______40.5%_______40.7%
Sun, 08/21/11_______40.3%_______40.7%
Mon, 08/22/11_______40.3%_______40.6%

Luke Seubert 08-24-2011 05:49 AM

Wednesday Weekly Trend and Bodyweight Update

Date: August 24, 2011

Today is the end of Week 16 of my fat loss regimen.

Last Week's Bodyweight Trend: 369.1 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight Trend: 365.8 lbs
Last Week's Bodyweight: 364.2 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight: 361.2 lbs
Beginning Date for Bodyweight Measurements - May 4, 2011 - Bodyweight: 425.6 lbs
Total Bodyweight Trend Lost to Date: 59.8 lbs
Total Bodyweight Lost to Date: 64.4 lbs

Comments
On the bodyweight front, I made good steady progress this week, dropping 3.3 pounds on the Bodyweight Trend. Diet has gone well, though the exercise not so much due to nagging pains, moving a ton of computers and setting them up the one day, and an all-nighter geek-out with the computer. Still, I am making steady progress and I am happy with that. I will get back on the exercise bandwagon and increase my caloric intake a bit to compensate. I like keeping my Bodyweight Trend loss rate in the high 2's to low 3's per week.

In just over a week from now, I expect to hit another one of my benchmarks on Bodyweight Trend - 15% of Bodyweight lost. That would represent a loss of 63.8 pounds, or 15% of my beginning bodyweight of 425.6 pounds. That will be a good day. Although, for some odd reason, I am discounting it somewhat and really looking forward to the 20% benchmark. Why my head is wired this way, I don't quite know.

Bodyweight and Trend for the Past Week
The Trend listed below is an exponential moving average with 10% smoothing. It tends to overstate current bodyweight as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic bodyweight readings and shows the actual bodyweight loss rate over time. An explanation of the "Trend" calculation's utility may be found in my previous post, "Turning Bodyweight Into A Semi-Useful Metric" (WFS).

______Date________Bodyweight_________Trend
Wed, 08/17/11_______364.2 lbs_______369.1 lbs
Thu, 08/18/11_______364.0 lbs_______368.6 lbs
Fri, 08/19/11_______363.4 lbs_______368.1 lbs
Sat, 08/20/11_______363.2 lbs_______367.6 lbs
Sun, 08/21/11_______362.2 lbs_______367.1 lbs
Mon, 08/22/11_______362.6 lbs_______366.7 lbs
Tue, 08/23/11_______362.6 lbs_______366.3 lbs
Wed, 08/24/11_______361.2 lbs_______365.8 lbs

Vickie Ellickson 08-24-2011 08:29 AM

Luke,

Thanks for sharing your progress! I've been checking on your blog and have been really impressed by your statistical approach.

I used to be a unix administrator and wrote a few perl and shell scripts in my day. I'm no stranger to having bouts of geekout. Just yesterday I went into geek overdrive with reporting services. :pepper:

Luke Seubert 08-24-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson (Post 978252)
Luke,

Thanks for sharing your progress! I've been checking on your blog and have been really impressed by your statistical approach.

I used to be a unix administrator and wrote a few perl and shell scripts in my day. I'm no stranger to having bouts of geekout. Just yesterday I went into geek overdrive with reporting services. :pepper:

For me, the big statistical approach is a way of using my strengths to overcome a weakness. I don't recommend it for everybody, as it doesn't suit most folks. But for me it works fairly well.

Yeah, I had such a silly geekout playing with my new toys. I mean, it's not like I don't know how to set up my Linux box to serve up this stuff, and web browse on localhost. And its not like I don't have an OpenBSD box I work with. There was just something very cool about having a live OpenBSD shell account with a measly 100 MB of storage, a public_html directory, and lots and lots of cools toys to play with.

I fiddled around with really, really small CMS programs, like Blosxom - 210.2 kB, and Oddmuse - 151.5 kB. They are amazing pieces of code that get a lot done for very little overhead. Right now, I am fiddling with Blazeblog, which is easy to use, but not nearly as featureful nor as well refined as Blosxom and Oddmuse, nor as compact at 362.7 kB. But it runs a simple blog and it is fun. I'll play with it a while longer, and then likely switch over to Oddmuse or Blosxom - I'm not sure which just yet.

And for those who are dying to know - here is the blog:
Doctor Atrocity's Obscure Serendipitous Rantings (NWFS).

And yes, I know, it doesn't amount to much at all. It is not a serious blog. It is an experimental software testbed and playground for my inner-geek.

Meanwhile, I am off to install and study a fantastic little DVCS called, Fossil (WFS). Check it out Vickie - it is written by the same guy who codes SQLite.

Now, have you CrossFit geeks had enough of my computer geekery? Want me to get back to posting WODs and such? Tune in tomorrow :D

Luke Seubert 08-25-2011 05:27 AM

Date: August 25, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 74 F
  • Humidity: 99%
  • Heat Index: 73 F

Comments
My walk went well. I was close to my PR, and might have beaten it except for a schoolbus that got in my way as it turned around. Oh well, maybe next time. I am not so sure about that low 136 BPM. I was getting flaky BPM readings early in my walk. The Polar does that once in a while.

The Shovel Glove went well. I am really getting to enjoy that exercise. It will be a good one for when the weather is bad.

Speaking of weather, we have a hurricane tracking up the coast and it will be passing by, or passing directly over, roundabout Saturday. At a minimum, we will get a lot of rain. We'll see what this does to my exercise schedule and posting ability. Don't be surprised if I am offline over the weekend.

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles (Current PR - 15:46 @ 142 BPM on 08/19/11, 3.42 MPH)
  • Time: 15:52
  • Heart Rate: 136 BPM

60 seconds per exercise - AMRAP. 10 second rest interval between exercises. 2 pound aluminum baseball bat.
  2. Flip the Lever (WFS)
  3. Stoke the Oven (WFS)
  4. Hoist the Sack (WFS)
  5. Shovel (WFS)
  6. Pull Weeds (WFS)
  7. Chop Wood (WFS)
  8. Churning Butter (WFS)
  9. Chop the Tree (WFS)
  10. Moulinet (WFS)
  11. Tuck Bales (WFS)
  12. Fireman (WFS)
  13. Samurai Thrust (WFS)
  14. Paddle Canoe (WFS)
  16. Pump Water (WFS)

Arturo Garcia 08-25-2011 02:42 PM

Do you work Luke? Doing what?

Luke Seubert 08-27-2011 06:52 AM

Date: August 27, 2011

Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 939.5 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 936.5 cm
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 73.0 cm

Comments
This week was OK. I continue to lose on my limbs, which seems to confirm my odd little LIFO fat loss theory. I held steady mostly on the torso measurements. Diet got a bit lousy for the past few days, so I'll have to clamp down on that. Meanwhile, my BFC is dropping nicely again, which is good news.

Right Thigh: 68.0 cm, 66.0 cm
Right Calf: 50.0 cm, 50.5 cm
Right Ankle: 28.0 cm, 28.0 cm

Left Thigh: 70.0 cm, 68.5 cm
Left Calf: 51.5 cm, 51.0 cm
Left Ankle: 28.0 cm, 28.5 cm

Right Arm: 39.0 cm, 38.0 cm
Right Forearm: 33.5 cm, 33.5 cm

Left Arm: 41.0 cm, 40.5 cm

Neck: 44.0 cm, 44.0 cm
Chest: 138.0 cm, 138.5 cm
Waist: 152.0 cm, 152.5 cm
Hips: 122.5 cm, 123.0 cm

Luke Seubert 08-27-2011 06:55 AM

Date: August 27, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 75 F
  • Humidity: 95%
  • Heat Index: 73 F

Comments
I took my walk in the leading edge of Hurricane Irene. Those who have experienced the pre-imminent conditions of a tropical storm or hurricane know how pleasant the gentle, warm, soaking rain shower is. It is a wonderful time to take a walk. (I would venture to say that Artuto knows exactly what I am talking about.) The hellish parts come later. As a veteran of Isabella and Andrew, I have a lot of respect for such storms, and so I was well prepared for this one. Happily, it looks like Irene lost power overnight, and is now only a Category 1 storm. It will pass well to the east of where I am, but it will still bring a lot of wind and rain and storm surge. Anyway, that is my update on my hurricane walk, such as it was. No PRs broken, though I came within 20 seconds of doing so without trying, and with a much lower heart rate of only 133 versus 142. So, the same amount of work at slightly slower speed for a lot less effort. I'll take that.

I have stopped the stretching routine. Oddly, I think it was the stretching that was hurting my lower back. It always seems to be that way. I thought I would try it again, but it still doesn't work well for me. I am best when I stick to straight up exercise, and let the stretching be. Someday, when I have lost a lot more weight and I am stronger, I'll give it another try. Until then, it is more important to keep my lower back pain free so I can exercise.

As usual, the Shovel Glove went well. I subbed in shovel glove because the yard was to way too wet for the medicine ball, which needs a patch job anyway.

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles (Current PR - 15:46 @ 142 BPM on 08/19/11, 3.42 MPH)
  • Time: 16:06
  • Heart Rate: 133 BPM

2. Flip the Lever (WFS)
  3. Stoke the Oven (WFS)
  4. Hoist the Sack (WFS)
  5. Shovel (WFS)
  6. Pull Weeds (WFS)
  7. Chop Wood (WFS)
  8. Churning Butter (WFS)
  9. Chop the Tree (WFS)
  10. Moulinet (WFS)
  11. Tuck Bales (WFS)
  12. Fireman (WFS)
  13. Samurai Thrust (WFS)
  14. Paddle Canoe (WFS)
  16. Pump Water (WFS)

Luke Seubert 08-27-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 978879)
Do you work Luke? Doing what?

Answered in the blog.

Arturo Garcia 08-27-2011 07:00 AM

Yeah I just love being outdoors in the middle of a hurricane :p:p:p

Luke Seubert 08-27-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 979413)
Yeah I just love being outdoors in the middle of a hurricane :p:p:p

Oh, double :p

I didn't say I was out walking in the middle of a hurricane. I said I was out walking at the beginning of one. That is a pleasant experience.

Here it is, 7 hours later, and a full 5 to 8 hours before the Irene makes her nearest approach, and there is no way I am going outside. Heavy, lashing rain and gusting winds are no fun. I have personally witnessed the full power of a hurricane, and I do not play games with them at all.

I had a most fascinating experience during Hurricane Andrew - one of the more powerful hurricanes to ever hit the USA. I was at a hotel, camping out with everybody else in the corridor, since the windows were broken. The rain blew sideways into the broken windows, driven along the floors, under the doors, and flooding into the hallway.

Anyway, come dawn and the height of the storm, I walked down to the end of the lobby, opened the fire door, and walked into the stairwell. The stairwell had a heavy metal door leading outside, with a thick, plate-glass window with wire mesh embedded inside it. So I figured this was a pretty safe spot, especially since the stairwell structure was blocking the wind, and the door was in the lee.

For about half an hour, I stood at the door, and watched Andrew tear apart north Miami. The fury of the storm was incredible. Rain literally fell horizontally, not vertically or even at a strong slant. The palm trees were bent way over, and their tops were all bent around and flying straight and flat like a flag in a stiff breeze. All manner of loose junk and stuff came whipping by, blown helter-skelter by the wind. The sound was a continuous, steady roar. People say it sounds like a freight train going by, except that it keeps on going by. That is a pretty good description.

Anyway, the power already flickered once and shut off the computer (good thing I saved this, huh?), so I am now going to wind up this post and sign off.

Arturo Garcia 08-27-2011 02:53 PM

Luke,

Since you like research, I've got another subject for you. This subject is almost never brought up here on the boards, yet I feel it's important.

Food combining. Now, before saying it's just another fad diet, hear me out for a second.

I first heard about it in a book about Tao. Apparently they've been giving thoughts to this for hundreds (or thousands?) of years. It's no fad. A doctor called Hay popularized it in 1910 or so. Others have written or re-written about it. It doesn't demonize many foods, it just tells you to eat them appart. They even mention that the Primitive man didn't find Pure oils/fats attached to any vegetable (or starchy tubers). They also probably ate their meat/fat without any carbs.

I dabbled with this in 2008 and I gotta say my digestion felt INCREDIBLE. As in, it took a very short time to feel my stomach was empty and digestion was done. Maybe it wasn't done, but that's how I felt. Back then I tried a crazy approach and ate too little. Fruits for breakfast, tubers/salad one meal, and meat/salad the next meal. And yes, everyone, including the proponents of these diets, know that there are some proteins in some veggies or some carbs in meat... they just advice against big amounts of each together and the reasons they give for this are quite convincing, and show studies measuring stomach acid and other things. On top of this, from personal experience, I feel this is something that shouldn't be taken lightly.

When eating low carb... or Atkins, or VLC Paleo... then you are combining perfectly as meat/fat/non-starchy-veggies is great and in fact you don't break their "rules". However when I eat meat and tubers together, I feel bloated for several hours. In fact the other day I got heartburn (or I think it was) which I've probably only experienced a couple of times in my life. I like to think of myself as someone with no digestive problems at all. But I've found that once I get my body used to a type of eating, sudden changes like this send me very clear signals.

Even my bowel movements (pardon me if it's gross) are perfect when food is combined. It's less optimal when I mix meat with tubers or rice or a "high carb". I've always questioned the Paleo authors who tell you to eat meat and fruits together too as I've seen countless authors advising against fruits together with meat, since fruit digests quickly and can get rancid if it's waiting for the other meal to digest.

Of course, there is a problem with this: many people here combine and feel great. "Oh I eat meat and an orange every day and I do fine". Good for you. BUT... grains are supossed to irritate EVERYONE's gut, and some people live to old age without knowing or feeling this. So because someone doesn't feel the effects of "wrong combination" doesn't mean it's perfectly fine to do so.

If it were for me I swear I'd eat meat/veggies and just that. But lately I have been convinced of the necessity of some carbs for muscle growth. But adding it together with meat/fish hasn't been too convincing, it just doesn't feel right, the way my stomach sticks out for a while after a food like this. So I've been thinking of eating some starch but a few hours appart from other meals.

Many internet forums and other websites will quickly make you think this is just another "fad diet" but like I said, it's been around for long, and once you try it you really feel a difference. Also, from an evolutionary standpoint it makes sense to me.... Paleo man wasn't eating his animals with starch or fruits, I bet. And when he ate the latter, it was probably because he had no meat around.... Dr. Kurt Harris (paleo proponent) was asked about this and his reply was very Un-convincing to me. He said "imagine paleo man eating his animal and then walking and finding some trees with berries"... this just seems unlikely to me. Most other animals also rest/sleep after a big meal (as you'd have after killing an animal). Then if you ate until you're stuffed and you go walk and find a fruit tree, are you gonna be hungry enough to eat it right there at that moment? I don't know. I'm not saying Paleo man gave any thought to food combining (LOL), but maybe because of his situation, it could very well have been the way he ate.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, but only if you do some research first ;) No rush, take your time.

Luke Seubert 08-31-2011 04:38 PM

• Date: August 28, 2011 (Post delayed due to Hurricane Irene)

BFC Average 2 Weeks Ago: 40.6% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
BFC Average 1 Week Ago: 40.6%
Current BFC Average: 40.3%
Total BFC Average Lost to Date: 4.3%

Comments
I am writing this with hindsight, so I know a bit more than just the data presented here. Suffice to say that this was a good week on the BFC front, and I was back to steadily losing body fat at a decent rate. However, thanks to Hurricane Irene which canceled all my exercise (no showers and I sweat very heavily during workouts) and a diet of canned food and other junk, my BFC began trending up after this data was taken. More on this in the next Monday posting.

Tue, 08/16/11_______40.8%_______40.6%
Wed, 08/17/11_______41.0%_______40.7%
Thu, 08/18/11_______40.7%_______40.7%
Fri, 08/19/11_______40.9%_______40.7%
Sat, 08/20/11_______40.5%_______40.7%
Sun, 08/21/11_______40.3%_______40.7%
Mon, 08/22/11_______40.3%_______40.6%
Tue, 08/23/11_______40.4%_______40.6%
Wed, 08/24/11_______40.0%_______40.4%
Thu, 08/25/11_______40.3%_______40.4%