CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68244)

Luke Seubert 07-25-2011 04:35 AM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 964680)
Hi Luke! Just wanted to weigh in on your exercise progress and planning. Great job!!!

Thanks. I appreciate your support and encouragement. It helps me to keep chugging along with the program.

Quote:

I think you're doing the right thing by taking things as they come. I suspect you'll know when you're ready to go to the next level. Basically, if you start to get bored and need more challenge, I would add something to your mix. My personal suggestion would be to add something short and intense, whichever type of exercise you choose. Intervals or a very brief metcon, but really go hard. I'm not too sure about the whole air squat/back squat debate, but I do both and I'm really not sure how one learns to back squat without doing air squats first. The air squat is a pretty fundamental movement in life and I think it's important on its own.

Yeah, I think I will add the body core conditioning very soon, and then things like Tabata kettlebells, and finally the weightlifting. I agree about short and intense. I don't mind taking a 40 minute walk occasionally, but for now, I prefer shorter workouts where possible. My goal isn't uber-fitness right now, just fat loss and a bit better fitness.

Quote:

I totally understand the difficulty of living in a remote area. I am at least 45 minutes away from my affiliate and 30 minutes away from my globo and sometimes it's really hard to get there. That said, finally stepping through that door was the very best decision I have ever made for my own well being. I had lurked on the Zone and CrossFit forums for a long time before I ever found the courage to actually do something about it. I am thrilled for you that you have the ability to follow the program all on your own. I am not that strong. The people at my affiliate have changed my life for the better in more ways than I can count. I hope that at some point down the road you get to meet some great people who will help you on your journey, whether or not they are at an affiliate.

At some point, I will likely join an affiliate. Hopefully, by then, there will be one closer to where I live. One of the things I most like about CrossFit is the community that it builds up. And joining an affiliate is the best way to directly participate in that community.

Arturo Garcia 07-25-2011 08:58 AM

Luke, did you ever research what I was wondering about the different types of fat-storage? You're so good with this research things that I'm kindof hoping you find something interesting one of these days!:p

Luke Seubert 07-26-2011 07:29 AM

WOD
  • Date: July 26, 2011
  • Name: 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles
  • Time: 18:31
  • Heart Rate: 144 BPM
Conditions
  • Temperature: 81 F
  • Humidity: 85%
  • Heat Index: 87 F
Comments
Wow! A PR by a significant amount, and with a lower heart rate too. Just goes to show you what regular exercise and more moderate weather can do.

And yeah, I know, when you first start out with exercise, you set a lot of PRs at the beginning, and it gets much harder to set new PRs later. I know not to get too enthused about this. Still, I enjoy it all the same.

Luke Seubert 07-26-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 964872)
Luke, did you ever research what I was wondering about the different types of fat-storage? You're so good with this research things that I'm kindof hoping you find something interesting one of these days!:p

No, Arturuo, I did not get around to researching that. If you would, remind me again what you believe to be the different types of fat storage, and I'll look into it. Gary Taubes talks about this issue, indirectly, and so I might be able to get some leads from one of his books, or the sources he lists.

Arturo Garcia 07-26-2011 09:19 AM

A quick google search brought this up:

Quote:

There is a huge difference between the types of fat and it eventually could be a difference between life and death for many people. This is the difference. "Soft" fat is subcutaneous fat or fat that is just below the surface of the skin. If your going to have layer of fat, this is the one you want. For women, this is also considered to cause the dreaded cellulite. This fat, although no fat is really good, is the best kind to have. On the other hand, "hard" fat is referred to as visceral fat and is considered to be an indicator of possble heart disease and stroke later on down the road. This is the kind of fat that men get during their middle age and is often referred to as a beer belly. Ever seen a guy who is skinny until you see his protruding "beer" belly. The best thing you could do is convince him to lose weight because this is putting a huge strain on the heart. You are much better off having "jiggly" fat, then having that rock hard "fat" belly. The good news is that it is relatively easy to lose visceral fat and normally when a person loses a good deal of weight 20-30 pounds, you can almost be certain that they reduced the visceral fat by up to 85 percent (mens health magazine).
Basically I see two different patterns. Some men just growa gigantic belly. These men's belly seems very hard to the touch. It's like the fat is BEHIND their abdominal wall. So their belly buttons are very far out, level with the skin. You can't "pinch" their belly fat. These men tend to not grow big, fat arms, man-boobs, or big-butts.

Then there are men who don't necessarily grow a gigantic, round, protruding belly, but grow "love handles". The fat around their belly is most definitely "pinchable" between your fingers. Their belly buttons stay back and there is a lot of fat "around" it, kindof covering. It's like their belly fat is between the abdominal muscles and the skin, but behind ther abs like the first men. Also these group seems to grow fat arms, man boobs, and fat buttocks.

I was just wondering WTF determines which kind each person is?

Luke Seubert 07-27-2011 04:07 AM

Wednesday Weekly Trend and Bodyweight Update
Date: July 27, 2011
Today is the end of Week 12 of my fat loss regimen.

Last Week's Bodyweight Trend: 381.0 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight Trend: 378.3lbs
Last Week's Bodyweight: 378.0 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight: 374.8 lbs
Beginning Date for Bodyweight Measurements - May 4, 2011 - Bodyweight: 425.6 lbs
Total Bodyweight Trend Lost to Date: 47.3 lbs
Total Bodyweight Lost to Date: 50.8 lbs

Comments
My weight loss rate continued to slow, but seems to have stabilized at 2.7 pounds lost per week. I would actually like it to be slightly higher, 2.8 to 2.9 pounds per week. However, I'll keep things going the way they are now for a while. I want to see a few more total body measurements readings to see if I am still losing fat. If so, I'll accept the low weight loss readings as major losses of fat, with some gain in muscle. If I am gaining muscle, that process will taper off eventually, and my bodyweight loss rate will move back up.

In the meantime, all is going well. I am eating healthy and slightly more than my recipe cards call for, but not much more. I will formalize my new caloric intake with new recipe cards once I get through this adjustment phase. I continue to lose weight, and now at a more healthy rate, unlike in the past month. So I am pleased with my progress, even though it is now slower as it should be.

Bodyweight and Trend for the Past Week
The Trend listed below is an exponential moving average with 10% smoothing. It tends to overstate current bodyweight as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic bodyweight readings and shows the actual bodyweight loss rate over time. An explanation of the "Trend" calculation's utility may be found in my previous post, "Turning Bodyweight Into A Semi-Useful Metric" (WFS).

______Date________Bodyweight_________Trend
Wed, Jul 20, 2011_______378.0 lbs_______381.0 lbs
Thu, Jul 21, 2011_______377.4 lbs_______380.6 lbs
Fri, Jul 22, 2011_______376.8 lbs_______380.2 lbs
Sat, Jul 23, 2011_______376.2 lbs_______379.8 lbs
Sun, Jul 24, 2011_______375.8 lbs_______379.4 lbs
Mon, Jul 25, 2011_______375.0 lbs_______379.0 lbs
Tue, Jul 26, 2011_______375.6 lbs_______378.7 lbs
Wed, Jul 27, 2011_______374.8 lbs_______378.3 lbs

Luke Seubert 07-27-2011 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 965342)
Basically I see two different patterns. Some men just growa gigantic belly. These men's belly seems very hard to the touch. It's like the fat is BEHIND their abdominal wall. So their belly buttons are very far out, level with the skin. You can't "pinch" their belly fat. These men tend to not grow big, fat arms, man-boobs, or big-butts.

Then there are men who don't necessarily grow a gigantic, round, protruding belly, but grow "love handles". The fat around their belly is most definitely "pinchable" between your fingers. Their belly buttons stay back and there is a lot of fat "around" it, kindof covering. It's like their belly fat is between the abdominal muscles and the skin, but behind ther abs like the first men. Also these group seems to grow fat arms, man boobs, and fat buttocks.

Genetics and hormones to a large degree. Environmental factors enter into it to a lesser degree.

I haven't dug into this yet - will work on it later this week. Meanwhile, watch this Gary Taubes video in which he partially addresses these questions:

Mara Rozitis 07-29-2011 09:19 PM

The big, hard belly fat is the omentum, which is an organ unto itself. It acts as a fat storage depot, but it is very active, volatile, dangerous fat. The softer fat is subcutaneous fat, and though it doesn't look pretty is apparently far less dangerous.

I have absolutely no proof or references, but I'll tell you what I think and have seen in my own body. I am certain genetics play a role, but as with so many other "genetic" conditions, you can heavily infuence its expression by changing your diet. I used to have a pretty hard, swollen belly, yet my legs and arms were quite lean. Apple shape. I have always had this shape, even when I wasn't very overweight. I never had a waist, even though I'm female. My doctor told me if I lost some weight my belly fat would be the first to go. I can assure him and you that is not necessarily the case. My weight yo-yo'd over the years but my belly never really changed much. I tried Weight Watchers, starvation, smoking more...And my shape never really changed even though the scale moved a LOT. And I was never really sedentary. I have a very physical job and own my house with a huge yard, so I am constantly moving.

What finally changed my body was understanding the profound impact of hormones on our health and bodyfat. Initially, I tried the Zone and it improved my fibromyalgia and waistline almost immediately. But I still had some crashes when I would eat a bunch of bread or something. And I was never one to WAM, so I'm sure my results were never optimal. But I certainly began to see the dramatic and instant impact poor food choices made on how I felt in the short term, and how that might affect me long term.

Years later, I discovered CrossFit and the gym owner advocates Paleo. I was reluctant to switch from my "Sort of Zone with lots of cheats" because it was doing a pretty good job of controlling my fibromyalgia (even though I was still fat,) but I decided to give Paleo a try. Well, a year later I no longer have a hard belly. And even better, my fibromyalgia is completely gone. I never wake up with a raging headache. It is truly a miracle in my life. Combined with the hormone-influencing intense workouts that are CrossFit, I think I am finally winning the belly fat battle. I will post a testimonial soon about my first year. Just waiting to get my pictures back. No testimonial is complete without the pics!

Luke Seubert 07-30-2011 04:33 AM

Saturday Weekly Body Measurements Update
Date: July 30, 2011

Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 954.5 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 956.0 cm
Beginning Date for Body Measurements - May 14, 2011 - Total Body Measurements: 1009.5
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 53.5 cm

Comments
Well, this shows you what several days of inactivity and furious sitting before a computer does for you. Not much in terms of losing fat! I was scheduled to go walking last Wednesday, but felt very tired that morning, and took it easy that day. And while I could have walked on Thursday, I didn't. I got myself into an indolent cycle. I did get a lot of work done on the computer though, but all the sitting made my legs swell slighltly, which is where a lot of my increase in body measurements comes from. My other measurements mostly stayed the same or declined slightly, so I am OK there.

For the coming week, I will be sure to get in all of my exercise, and follow my diet regimen carefully. We'll see how that turns things around. Meanwhile, I am pleased that my previous big drop in waist measurement held up this week, and dropped a little bit more even

Body Measurements for Last Week and This Week
An explanation about "Total Body Measurements" and how I use body measurements to assess fat loss over time may be found in my previous post, "The Humble Tape Measure: Simple But Oh So Useful" (WFS).

Right Thigh: 68.0 cm, 67.5 cm
Right Calf: 51.5 cm, 52.0 cm
Right Ankle: 28.0 cm, 28.5 cm

Left Thigh: 70.5 cm, 69.5 cm
Left Calf: 51.5 cm, 52.5 cm
Left Ankle: 28.5 cm, 29.0 cm

Right Arm: 38.0 cm, 40.0 cm
Right Forearm: 34.0 cm, 34.0 cm
Right Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Left Arm: 43.5 cm, 43.5 cm
Left Forearm: 34.5 cm, 34.5 cm
Left Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Neck: 45.0 cm, 44.5 cm
Chest: 142.0 cm, 140.0 cm
Waist: 155.5 cm, 155.0 cm
Hips: 124.0 cm, 125.5 cm

Luke Seubert 07-30-2011 06:56 AM

WOD
  • Date: July 30, 2011
  • Name: 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles
  • Time: 21:15
  • Heart Rate: 123 BPM
Conditions
  • Temperature: 84 F
  • Humidity: 76%
  • Heat Index: 92 F
Comments
I am back to exercising again after taking a few days off. Wednesday I felt very tired and didn't exercise. Thursday was better, but I goofed off that day.

Today was a stroll, with a correspondingly low time. About one-third of the way out, my left inner knee came up sore. I gingerly walked along for a while until I shook it out, and resumed walking. Tomorrow I plan to walk a bit farther and faster, getting back into the swing of things.

Luke Seubert 07-31-2011 06:00 AM

WOD
  • Date: July 31, 2011
  • Name: 2.0 Flat and Hilly Miles
  • Time: 37:04
  • Heart Rate: 139 BPM
Conditions
  • Temperature: 83 F
  • Humidity: 77%
  • Heat Index: 91 F
Comments
Wow! The last time I walked this course on July 20, my time was 41:46. This is a very nice improvement indeed. And I wasn't pushing this one really hard either. My split time at the 1.1 mile mark was 19:45, which is OK, but not great. More of a warmup for the hills, which pushed my heart rate into the low 170's. This is a challenging walk which I will do more often.

Luke Seubert 08-01-2011 04:02 AM

Monday Weekly Body Fat Composition Update
Date: August 1, 2011

BFC Average 2 Weeks Ago: 41.5% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
BFC Average 1 Week Ago: 41.5%
Current BFC Average: 41.3%
Beginning Date for BFC - May 4, 2011 - BFC Average Then: 44.6% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
Total BFC Average Lost to Date: 3.3%

Comments
Well, after no progress reported last week, this week, things are improving a bit. BFC Average is starting to move down again, and I expect it to continue doing so as I continue to exercise harder and watch the diet more closely.

Today's reading was especially helpful, coming in at 40.9% Finally! I broke through into the 40's! That took forever, but I finally got a solid reading - one I have long been flirting with. Not surprisingly, this one the day after I drop a lot of bodyweight through a rigorous, sweaty workout. This was most gratifying, as up until today, it was looking like yet another poor week in the BFC front.

Anyway, the most recent happy news is encouraging and I am now off to do my WOD.

BFC Readings and Average For The Past Two Weeks
The BFC Average listed below is a simple 7 day moving average. It tends to overstate current BFC slightly as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic BFC readings and shows the actual BFC rate of change over time. Readers curious to know more about how to effectively use an Omron or any other bioelectrical impedance body fat composition meter should read my previous post, "How to Get Semi-Useful Body Fat Composition Data Out of a Bioelectrical Impedance Analyzer" (WFS).

__Date_______BFC Reading_____BFC Average
Mon, Jul 18, 2011_______41.1%_______41.5%
Tue, Jul 19, 2011_______41.3%_______41.4%
Wed, Jul 20, 2011_______41.7%_______41.4%
Thu, Jul 21, 2011_______41.6%_______41.5%
Fri, Jul 22, 2011_______41.4%_______41.5%
Sat, Jul 23, 2011_______41.5%_______41.5%
Sun, Jul 24, 2011_______41.3%_______41.4%
Mon, Jul 25, 2011_______41.5%_______41.5%
Tue, Jul 26, 2011_______41.5%_______41.5%
Wed, Jul 27, 2011_______41.5%_______41.5%
Thu, Jul 28, 2011_______41.1%_______41.4%
Fri, Jul 29, 2011_______41.2%_______41.4%
Sat, Jul 30, 2011_______41.3%_______41.3%
Sun, Jul 31, 2011_______41.6%_______41.4%
Mon, Aug 1, 2011_______40.9%_______41.3%

Luke Seubert 08-01-2011 04:54 AM

WOD
  • Date: August 1, 2011
  • Name: 2.0 Flat and Hilly Walk
  • Time: 35:40
  • Heart Rate: 147 BPM
Conditions
  • Temperature: 74 F
  • Humidity: 92%
  • Heat Index: 72 F
Comments
I know newbies set lots of PR's when they first begin, but this is still exciting for me. Set a new PR yesterday, and then again today, both by significant margins. I really pushed hard for it today. Glad I did. That said, I am even more glad tomorrow is a rest day :-)

Dustin Standel 08-01-2011 05:20 AM

Luke - Good to see the improvements you are making. Sure Newbies set PRs relatively frequently, but you do well to savor that progress. In the end it is that sense that keeps you pushing and still setting PRs even at elite levels.

Arturo Garcia 08-01-2011 07:50 AM

Still keeping an eye on you Luke. Good stuff.

Luke Seubert 08-01-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 967591)
The big, hard belly fat is the omentum, which is an organ unto itself. It acts as a fat storage depot, but it is very active, volatile, dangerous fat. The softer fat is subcutaneous fat, and though it doesn't look pretty is apparently far less dangerous.

Thanks for posting this, Mara. That information will help me to further research the questions Arturo posed. Don't worry, Arturo, I have forgotten about it - I am just delayed for a while. You know how busy things can get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 967591)
Years later, I discovered CrossFit and the gym owner advocates Paleo. I was reluctant to switch from my "Sort of Zone with lots of cheats" because it was doing a pretty good job of controlling my fibromyalgia (even though I was still fat,) but I decided to give Paleo a try. Well, a year later I no longer have a hard belly. And even better, my fibromyalgia is completely gone. I never wake up with a raging headache. It is truly a miracle in my life. Combined with the hormone-influencing intense workouts that are CrossFit, I think I am finally winning the belly fat battle. I will post a testimonial soon about my first year. Just waiting to get my pictures back. No testimonial is complete without the pics!

Mara, I look forward to your testimonial. Please post a link to it in this thread, so that others following the thread can easily find it. One of these days, I will put together a testimonials post, and I will be sure to include yours.

I too have seen some very positive health benefits from going Paleo. I was reviewing some old exercise logs from a few years back, and I was stunned by how often I was taking ibuprofen for soreness and pain. And this wasn't tough exercise either - most aerobic stuff. But I had to take ibuprofen three, four, sometimes five times a week.

Since I have been going Paleo, I have taken ibuprofen maybe three, four times? In almost 13 weeks! That's a big, big difference. Clearly my body is responding well to the Paleo diet and the fish oil, and I am enjoying good health despite the excess fat. I detailed a lot more of these benefits in an older post, A Lot of Good Little Things (WFS).

You are right, Mara. The Paleo Diet has a lot of benefits aside from just a fat loss diet.

Luke Seubert 08-01-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Standel (Post 968704)
Luke - Good to see the improvements you are making. Sure Newbies set PRs relatively frequently, but you do well to savor that progress. In the end it is that sense that keeps you pushing and still setting PRs even at elite levels.

Thanks, Dustin, I appreciate your continued reading of my workout log and your support.

I have been a bit remiss in not reciprocating, by subscribing to your Workout Log and posting a friendly note from time to time. I will be sure to do this, with your log, as well as all of those who have been kind enough to post in this thread.

Many thanks all!

Luke Seubert 08-01-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 968767)
Still keeping an eye on you Luke. Good stuff.

Thanks, Arturo, I appreciate it.

Got some interesting things coming up in the next cycle of WODs. You'll approve I am sure :)

Meanwhile, I will dedicate some time to researching your question as soon as I am able - am a bit backed up right now, and I got sidetracked into doing a lot of work on a personal project of mine - my Credo.

Luke Seubert 08-01-2011 06:22 PM

A Quick Method of Computing Body Fat Composition

For those who do not have access to one of the various tools used to measure body fat composition, there is a simple and quick alternative - use a tape measure and a formula.

Men need to measure their neck, waist, and height in inches. Using that data, apply the following formula:

BFC = 86.010 x log10(abdomen - neck) - 70.041 x log10(height) + 36.76

Women need to measure their waist, hips, neck, and height in inches. Using that data, apply the following formula:

BFC = 163.205 x log10(waist + hip - neck) - 97.684 x log10(height) - 78.387

For more details about how to take the measurements, along with handy links to charts that don't require you to compute any formulas, see the following webpage: About.com - United States Military Body Fat Standards (WFS).

Looking At My Own Numbers
In case you hadn't noticed from reading this thread, I am a bit of a geek when it comes to data and computations and measuring things. I like lots of information. So, I programmed my spreadsheet to compute my BFC using the above formula based upon my measurements. Below are the results.

What did I find out? Even for people on the far end of the Bell Curve for morbid obesity, such as myself, this formula seems pretty accurate. My Omron tends to understate my BFC by around 4% to 5%. The formula comes very close to correcting for this and nailing my actual BFC. Impressive. Moreover, as I lose fat, the formula tracks the BFC losses fairly closely to the Omron. The delta between the two numbers stays somewhere around 5% pretty consistently as I steadily lose weight.

Conclusion? Taking measurements and using these formulas are a good, simple, inexpensive way to track your body fat composition. Give it a try.

Date__________Waist_________Neck_____BFC Formula__BFC Omron
5/14/11_______168.5 cm_______47.5 cm_______49.9%_______44.4%
5/21/11_______169.0 cm_______47.5 cm_______50.0%_______43.9%
5/28/11_______166.0 cm_______46.5 cm_______49.4%_______43.5%
6/04/11_______164.0 cm_______46.0 cm_______48.9%_______43.2%
6/11/11_______161.5 cm_______46.0 cm_______48.1%_______43.0%
6/18/11_______160.5 cm_______46.0 cm_______47.8%_______42.8%
6/25/11_______161.0 cm_______45.5 cm_______48.1%_______42.5%
7/02/11_______158.0 cm_______45.0 cm_______47.3%_______42.2%
7/09/11_______159.0 cm_______45.5 cm_______47.5%_______42.1%
7/16/11_______158.0 cm_______45.0 cm_______47.3%_______41.8%
7/23/11_______155.5 cm_______45.0 cm_______46.5%_______41.5%
7/30/11_______155.0 cm_______44.5 cm_______46.5%_______41.5%

Mara Rozitis 08-02-2011 04:59 PM

Keep up the awesome work, Luke! And a PR is a PR, no matter how long you've been doing it. I still get them very regularly and every one is a victory!

Since you ask, here's a picture of what one year of CrossFit and mostly Paleo has done for me. I didn't want to take over your log :). I have a friend who did the video thingie for me. I have no idea how. Link is WFS. http://members.shaw.ca/singlemanwpg/front.swf

Luke Seubert 08-03-2011 03:59 AM

Date: August 3, 2011
Today is the end of Week 13 of my fat loss regimen.

Last Week's Bodyweight Trend: 378.3 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight Trend: 375.2 lbs
Last Week's Bodyweight: 374.8 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight: 370.6 lbs
Beginning Date for Bodyweight Measurements - May 4, 2011 - Bodyweight: 425.6 lbs
Total Bodyweight Trend Lost to Date: 50.4 lbs
Total Bodyweight Lost to Date: 55.0 lbs

Comments
All in all, this was a very good week. I stuck to the diet regimen quite well, and got in a decent amount of exercise. As a result, my weight loss rate picked up a little bit this week, and is now roughly where I want it to be. Moreover, my BFC readings are dropping nicely once again, so that confirms my progress as well.

Schedule permitting, over the next week or so, I will formalize my current diet regimen, and post some information about it. I am still PaleoZoning, with highly modified PCF ratios, and weighing and measuring all my foods. I have just added more calories. I will also be adding a bit of moderately low Glycemic Index fruit to my diet, as part of my post workout meals. More on all of that by and by.

Meanwhile, I am making good progress, at just about the rate I want, and things are going well.

The Trend listed below is an exponential moving average with 10% smoothing. It tends to overstate current bodyweight as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic bodyweight readings and shows the actual bodyweight loss rate over time. An explanation of the "Trend" calculation's utility may be found in my previous post, "Turning Bodyweight Into A Semi-Useful Metric" (WFS).

Wed, Jul 27, 2011_______374.8 lbs_______378.3 lbs
Thu, Jul 28, 2011_______373.2 lbs_______377.8 lbs
Fri, Jul 29, 2011_______374.4 lbs_______377.5 lbs
Sat, Jul 30, 2011_______373.8 lbs_______377.1 lbs
Sun, Jul 31, 2011_______373.2 lbs_______376.7 lbs
Mon, Aug 1, 2011_______370.6 lbs_______376.1 lbs
Tue, Aug 2, 2011_______372.0 lbs_______375.7 lbs
Wed, Aug 3, 2011_______370.6 lbs_______375.2 lbs

Luke Seubert 08-03-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 969613)
Keep up the awesome work, Luke! And a PR is a PR, no matter how long you've been doing it. I still get them very regularly and every one is a victory!

Thanks Mara. Yeah, I am still chugging along pretty well. I take it day by day, which you have to do for long term projects like this.

This is one of the reasons why I track my bodyweight daily, and pay such close attention to that Bodyweight Trend moving average. So long as you are doing your job, the Trend moves down a little bit every single day. Some days more, some days less, but it moves down every day, no matter what the bodyweight is doing. Bodyweight Trend provides me with continuous feedback and positive reinforcement, and provides a daily incentive to stick with the program.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 969613)
Since you ask, here's a picture of what one year of CrossFit and mostly Paleo has done for me. I didn't want to take over your log :). I have a friend who did the video thingie for me. I have no idea how. Link is WFS. http://members.shaw.ca/singlemanwpg/front.swf

That is pretty good, steady progress. Well done! Would you say that you have added muscle in your legs and shoulders? It seems that way from the video.

I see what you were talking about in your earlier post, about the waist. Most women store excess fat in the hips, butt, and legs; as compared to most men who store it in the belly. There are exceptions, and you look to be one of them.

Gary Taubes talks about fat storage exceptions like these, along with others, such as lipodystrophy; in a talk he gave about why we get fat, and why the prevailing scientific hypothesis on this topic is deeply flawed. He uses these exceptions as counter-examples to disprove the "energy in = energy out" theory, which explains obesity as a behavorial problem, or "sin" problem - the sins being sloth and gluttony. Turns out, that is a huge pile of bovine scatology, and poor science as well. Anyway, below is the link to the first of 10 videos, should you care to watch this. It is very interesting stuff, from a lecture he gave at UC Berkeley. Taubes does a great job of contradicting the prevailing conventional wisdom in nutrition, and opens up the door to some real science being done in the field. I do have one quibble with Taubes though - he goes too far to the meat and fat, Atkins diet end of the spectrum for my tastes. Humans are omnivores, and we need the nutrients from plants in order to thrive. I prefer a bit more balance between plant and animal sourced foods than he advocates. (And yeah, that is coming from somebody who is on a low but not extremely low, carb diet.) But, that is my only quibble. The vast majority of the material in his two books on nutrition and obesity I find quite compelling. Good stuff.

Luke Seubert 08-03-2011 06:32 AM

WOD

WOD cancelled. Must take care of sick dog.

Mara Rozitis 08-04-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Seubert (Post 969811)
That is pretty good, steady progress. Well done! Would you say that you have added muscle in your legs and shoulders? It seems that way from the video.

I see what you were talking about in your earlier post, about the waist. Most women store excess fat in the hips, butt, and legs; as compared to most men who store it in the belly. There are exceptions, and you look to be one of them.

Thanks, Luke. I just realized that the "before" picture is actually from October, not May, so it's only about 6 months, not one year. The one from May is quite a bit more obvious. I will post them if I can ever get my scanner to work. Yes, I have most definitely put on muscle noticeably in my shoulders, legs and butt. I would say everywhere, including unexpected places like my forearms, but I am most happy with the differences in my shoulders and butt. My legs have always been pretty great but there has been an improvement there too.

Yeah, I am an exception when it comes to fat distribution. I did check out that video, as I check out most of the cool links you post if I have time. Both interesting and a little scary. I am grateful I am on a better track now. One day I will buy Taubes' GCBC. I think it'll be worthwhile. Just bought Robb Wolf's book.

Hope your pooch is feeling better!

Luke Seubert 08-05-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 970736)
Thanks, Luke. I just realized that the "before" picture is actually from October, not May, so it's only about 6 months, not one year. The one from May is quite a bit more obvious. I will post them if I can ever get my scanner to work. Yes, I have most definitely put on muscle noticeably in my shoulders, legs and butt. I would say everywhere, including unexpected places like my forearms, but I am most happy with the differences in my shoulders and butt. My legs have always been pretty great but there has been an improvement there too.

Forearms... interesting. You'll need to get a Popeye tattoo :p

Adding muscle is a good thing though. And it is a very good thing for women, as it leads to all sorts of health benefits. Wolf explains some of this in his book.

By the way, I noticed in one of your other posts that you have tried sharing the health benefits you have enjoyed through Paleo and CrossFit with work colleagues and the like. And that you got a rather disinterested response. In my experience, family does not provide much support. (Of course, that is partly my family, which is a bit screwed up.) But you will also find that acquaintances, casual friends, and colleagues kind of don't care. This is pretty typical.

Most people don't want to hear about your terrific and wonderful diet. And they won't really acknowledge the progress you have already made - why should they listen to you, you're still that "thick chick". I know this is harsh, but this is the way people are. Also, some people react negatively when someone they know undertakes a hard and serious program of self-improvement. There can be reactions of petty jealousy, spite, or meanspiritedness. Most of the time it is indifference and apathy, but sometimes it can be a bit nasty. That is just the way some people are.

Your best choice is the one you have already made. Surround yourself with other people who are actively pursuing similar lifestyle goals - excellent nutrition and fitness. They will be your most reliable support network, because they have experienced the same indifference of others that you have, and they are facing the same challenges and obstacles that you have. And they have also overcome those obstacles, just as you have - so you all have a shared bond, a bond that is deep and strong. That is why the CrossFit community works so well - everybody is struggling to meet similar goals, and their fellow CrossFitters understand their struggles and appreciate them far more than friends, family, and colleagues do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 970736)
Yeah, I am an exception when it comes to fat distribution. I did check out that video, as I check out most of the cool links you post if I have time. Both interesting and a little scary. I am grateful I am on a better track now. One day I will buy Taubes' GCBC. I think it'll be worthwhile. Just bought Robb Wolf's book.

Wolf's book is very good. I am re-reading it now to sift through and pick up little tidbits. One thing I plan to do is consistently work out in a fasted state, early in the morning. Wolf explained that this is very good for fat loss.

That Taubes' lecture is quite and eye opener. He challenges a lot of conventional wisdom, and breaks the standard hypothesis on why obesity happens with a slew of powerful counter-examples. It all really does come down to genetics for most people, which are expressed when they eat the wrong kinds of foods, and a bit too much of those wrong kinds of foods. Going Paleo and reducing the calories enough to lose fat but to not feel hunger, readily solves the problem. Well, at least for me it does.

Luke Seubert 08-05-2011 06:39 AM

WOD
  • Date: August 5, 2011
  • Name: Medicine Ball Day
    • Warmup - 8 minute walk
    • Stretch - Dynamic Stretching Routine (See below)
    • Solo Medicine Ball Medley (WFS) - 8 1/2 pound ball - grassy slope
  • Time: DNF (MBM for about 10 minutes - 1st four exercises)
  • Heart Rate: n/a
Conditions
  • Temperature: 75 F
  • Humidity: 84%
  • Heat Index: 75 F
Comments
This was my first day working with my new, homemade medicine ball. Following DIY instructions found in the CrossFit Equipment Forum, I got a used basketball and filled it up, sealed it, and made myself a fine medicine ball. Since I am scaling my workouts right now, I filled it with flour instead of sand. As a result, it weighs 8 1/2 pounds instead of 20+ pounds like the sand filled balls do. Don't worry, I have plenty more basketballs and plenty of sand to make heavier med balls when the time is right.

I did some searching on the Dynamax medicine ball website, and found a great PDF file with solo medicine ball exercises (WFS). It features a variety of throws and exercises. I do mine on a grassy slope in the front yard, though I may switch to flat areas, or a gravel slope, just to vary things up.

I didn't get too far in my workout though. I wanted to do 10 reps for each of the 14 exercises. I got through the first four exercises, but was pretty gassed by then. Since I would like to do a greater variety of exercises, next time I will start with 6 reps per exercise, and tough it out a bit more. Like the walking, this is an exercise routine that I will scale up and build up as I get more fit.

That said, tossing the medicine ball was fun, and a good change from walking. It definitely worked out some muscles I don't work very hard during walks, even on steep hills. I can already feel some soreness in my upper abs, and I will be taking some ibuprofen just as a precaution to ward off additional muscle soreness. It will be interesting to see if I get any DOMS or not.

Dynamic Stretching Routine
  • Marching Arms with Neck Rolls
  • Arm Hugs
  • Shoulder Rolls
  • Windmills
  • Torso Twists
  • Lateral Torso Stretches
  • Bent Knees Ankle Touches
  • Hip Wangers
  • Leg Swings
  • Leg Side Swipes
  • Knee Pumps
  • Swedish Twists
  • Hurdler's Drill
  • Quadriceps Stretch
  • Calf Stretch
  • Hamstring Stretch
  • Full Body Stretch

Mara Rozitis 08-05-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Seubert (Post 970890)
Forearms... interesting. You'll need to get a Popeye tattoo :p

Adding muscle is a good thing though. And it is a very good thing for women, as it leads to all sorts of health benefits. Wolf explains some of this in his book.

By the way, I noticed in one of your other posts that you have tried sharing the health benefits you have enjoyed through Paleo and CrossFit with work colleagues and the like. And that you got a rather disinterested response. In my experience, family does not provide much support. (Of course, that is partly my family, which is a bit screwed up.) But you will also find that acquaintances, casual friends, and colleagues kind of don't care. This is pretty typical.

Most people don't want to hear about your terrific and wonderful diet. And they won't really acknowledge the progress you have already made - why should they listen to you, you're still that "thick chick". I know this is harsh, but this is the way people are. Also, some people react negatively when someone they know undertakes a hard and serious program of self-improvement. There can be reactions of petty jealousy, spite, or meanspiritedness. Most of the time it is indifference and apathy, but sometimes it can be a bit nasty. That is just the way some people are.

Your best choice is the one you have already made. Surround yourself with other people who are actively pursuing similar lifestyle goals - excellent nutrition and fitness. They will be your most reliable support network, because they have experienced the same indifference of others that you have, and they are facing the same challenges and obstacles that you have. And they have also overcome those obstacles, just as you have - so you all have a shared bond, a bond that is deep and strong. That is why the CrossFit community works so well - everybody is struggling to meet similar goals, and their fellow CrossFitters understand their struggles and appreciate them far more than friends, family, and colleagues do.

Wolf's book is very good. I am re-reading it now to sift through and pick up little tidbits. One thing I plan to do is consistently work out in a fasted state, early in the morning. Wolf explained that this is very good for fat loss.

Just what I needed to hear at the moment. I have been working a crazy number of hours, my house is a mess, I still have 3 more 10-12 hour days before I get a day off, and the last thing I feel like doing is cooking something healthy, but dammit now I am going to because you just made me happy. And I'm NOT going to do the 17 Day Diet because I'm frustated with my current weight. NOT!

I don't ever try to push my lifestyle or beliefs on others. It's just that if they ask what I'm doing differently or if they complain about health problems that I was able to solve through diet, I try to explain just a small portion of the diet. CrossFit would lead them to believe I'm totally nuts, so I save that for my really close friends. They already know I'm nuts. It's pretty amazing how resistant to change people are, even if they are suffering. I am shocked at how many gluten free products my celiac friends and relatives eat. I just want to scream, "Your body is trying to tell you something!!!! Humans were not designed to eat all the processed crap you're eating! Maybe you could try just, you know, NOT EATING muffins and cake and Yorkshire pudding for a while and see how it feels?!?!" But I don't. I feel better for having typed it here, though. Hee hee. End of rant.

Luke Seubert 08-06-2011 04:20 AM

Saturday Weekly Body Measurements Update
Date: August 6, 2011

Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 956.0 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 951.0 cm
Beginning Date for Body Measurements - May 14, 2011 - Total Body Measurements: 1009.5
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 58.5 cm

Comments
I am back to making good progress again. A 5.0 cm loss for the week, while not great, is not bad either. My BFC and Bodyweight Trend are all in accord with the Tape Measure, so it looks like I am back to losing mostly fat, and losing just a little muscle, if any. Exercise and slightly more calories have helped.

The longer I consume Paleo foods, the easier it becomes to stick exclusively with Paleo foods. I don't know exactly why my brain is rewiring itself this way, but I do like the thinking.

Body Measurements for Last Week and This Week
An explanation about "Total Body Measurements" and how I use body measurements to assess fat loss over time may be found in my previous post, "The Humble Tape Measure: Simple But Oh So Useful" (WFS).

Right Thigh: 67.5 cm, 68.0 cm
Right Calf: 52.0 cm, 50.5 cm
Right Ankle: 28.5 cm, 28.0 cm

Left Thigh: 69.5 cm, 70.5 cm
Left Calf: 52.5 cm, 52.5 cm
Left Ankle: 29.0 cm, 29.0 cm

Right Arm: 40.0 cm, 39.5 cm
Right Forearm: 34.0 cm, 34.0 cm
Right Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Left Arm: 43.5 cm, 42.5 cm
Left Forearm: 34.5 cm, 34.0 cm
Left Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Neck: 44.5 cm, 44.5 cm
Chest: 140.0 cm, 140.0 cm
Waist: 155.0 cm, 153.0 cm
Hips: 125.5 cm, 125.0 cm

Luke Seubert 08-06-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 971229)
Just what I needed to hear at the moment. I have been working a crazy number of hours, my house is a mess, I still have 3 more 10-12 hour days before I get a day off, and the last thing I feel like doing is cooking something healthy, but dammit now I am going to because you just made me happy. And I'm NOT going to do the 17 Day Diet because I'm frustated with my current weight. NOT!

I'm glad my words were a positive motivation for you. Just out of curiosity, what is this reference to the 17 Day Diet all about, which I can not exactly tell if you are doing or not doing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 971229)
I don't ever try to push my lifestyle or beliefs on others. It's just that if they ask what I'm doing differently or if they complain about health problems that I was able to solve through diet, I try to explain just a small portion of the diet. CrossFit would lead them to believe I'm totally nuts, so I save that for my really close friends. They already know I'm nuts. It's pretty amazing how resistant to change people are, even if they are suffering. I am shocked at how many gluten free products my celiac friends and relatives eat. I just want to scream, "Your body is trying to tell you something!!!! Humans were not designed to eat all the processed crap you're eating! Maybe you could try just, you know, NOT EATING muffins and cake and Yorkshire pudding for a while and see how it feels?!?!" But I don't. I feel better for having typed it here, though. Hee hee. End of rant.

People are resistant to change because change is scary, and people won't do it until circumstance force them into it. Well, that is usually the case. Most times, somebody has to hit rock bottom in some way, do some deep introspection, and make a hard, quality decision to change. Then, and only then, do people change things. Otherwise, we all just mostly stumble through our day.

Here, this cartoon will give us all a good perspective on all of this - Abstruse Goose: ancestors (WFS).

Luke Seubert 08-07-2011 05:46 AM

WOD - Medicine Ball Fun Day

Date: August 7, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 77 F
  • Humidity: 93%
  • Heat Index: 78 F

Comments
Today was the first day of my new CrossFit 3-On, 1-Off cycle. I have different plans for this cycle, which hopefully I will have enough stamina for. Just like today was, tomorrow and Tuesday will be tougher than just the usual walk. All of my exercise routines will really work out my body core, along with a lot of other muscles. Taken all together, these movements are whole body, functional exercises, with a lot of variety. This keeps it challenging and interesting, and sort of fits in with the CrossFit philosophy. All the body core work will help me prepare for Starting Strength weightlifting which I will begin when the time is right in the coming months.

Speaking of walks, today I did the 0.9 mile hilly walk, but as a warmup this time, not as the main exercise. So I wasn't going for a PR, but I did OK at 18:35. My previous time was 17:45. The hilly walk is an excellent warmup, as it is relatively brief, with some challenging slopes which get the heart pumping hard.

I got more than halfway through my Solo Medicine Ball Medley this time, working all the way through Trunk Rotations. The two that really thumped me included the Ancient Log Throw, which I also catch. This one has a fast repeat cycle, and the speed of that cycle is what got to me. Also, the Trunk Extend and Flex, where you throw the medicine ball uphill between your legs, also hit me pretty hard. That one is really a whole body exercise.

Anyway, my current goal is to complete the entire workout - all 14 exercises. After that, I might start counting repetitions or something like that - I'm not sure yet.

Yo, Arturo!
If I make through tomorrow's workout intact and I'm able to go on Tuesday, check out the Tuesday Workout - I think you'll like it. It is very different :)

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles
  • Time: 18:35
  • Heart Rate: 125 BPM

Stretch - Mostly Dynamic Stretching Routine
  1. Marching Arms with Neck Rolls
  2. Arm Hugs
  3. Shoulder Rolls
  4. Windmills
  5. Torso Twists
  6. Lateral Torso Stretches
  7. Bent Knees Ankle Touches
  8. Hip Wangers
  9. Leg Swings
  10. Leg Side Swipes
  11. Knee Pumps
  12. Swedish Twists
  13. Hurdler's Drill
  14. Quadriceps Stretch
  15. Calf Stretch
  16. Hamstring Stretch
  17. Full Body Stretch

SMBM - Solo Medicine Ball Medley (WFS)
1 minute per exercise - AMRAP. 8 1/2 pound ball. Grassy slope.
  1. Standing Two-Arm Overhead Throw
  2. Two-Arm Overhead Throw with Shoulder Rotation - Alternating
  3. Ancient "Stone" Throw
  4. Ancient "Hammer" Throw
  5. Ancient "Log" Throw
  6. Trunk Twist Throw - Alternating
  7. Trunk Extend & Flex
  8. Trunk Rotations
  9. Lateral Lunges
  10. Medicine Ball Pikes
  11. Soccer Pickup Toss
  12. Overhead Orbits - Alternating
  13. Kneeling Two-Arm Put
  14. Adduction Knee Toss

Mara Rozitis 08-07-2011 05:57 PM

Great job on the exercise and fat loss, Luke! The 17 Day Diet is the latest fad, where you go in cycles of 17 days. Apparently it works fast. I haven't actually bought the book because I'm afraid I might actually do it while my resistance is low because the scale isn't moving. I'm pretty sure sticking with my current plan is much healthier. Also I have lost weight fast before, but never kept it off. So I just need to stick with the program!

How are you feeling with the added activity? Good? Any DOMS? Good to hear staying Paleo is getting easier. Do you cook a bunch of food all at once or each meal separately? I'm always looking for tips to make things a little quicker and easier. Right now I'm a fan of making a big pot of soup every week which is great for one easy, no thought required meal per day.

Arturo Garcia 08-08-2011 09:07 AM

Glad you're so motivated! I'll be looking for those workouts. ;)

Dustin Standel 08-08-2011 12:51 PM

Awesome work - good progress.

Glad to see you are not only motivated and determined, but are having fun with these new exercises. I find that is more than half of the battle and the biggest problem I have experienced in sticking with an exercise program prior to CrossFit.

I found I liked to run and lift weights, but if I wanted to do both it took too much time away from my family, if I did only one, I got bored and started to dislike it. Then I found XFit which allows me to do both, progress, and manage my time to not take too much time from my family or my job.

Keep up the hard work and the keep raising the bar. Have fun with it!

Luke Seubert 08-10-2011 06:48 AM

Monday Weekly Body Fat Composition Update
Date: August 8, 2011

BFC Average 2 Weeks Ago: 41.5% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
BFC Average 1 Week Ago: 41.3%
Current BFC Average: 41.0%
Beginning Date for BFC - May 4, 2011 - BFC Average Then: 44.6% (Approximately 4% understated compared to hydrostatic immersion)
Total BFC Average Lost to Date: 3.6%

Comments
Had some IT difficulties, so these posts are coming in late. But now everything should be all caught up.

This was a good week for BFC average. BFC average went down 0.3%, which is good progress, although I prefer to look at such progress over a longer time span, usually a month. That said, it looks like by BFC is dropping more quickly now, compared to several weeks ago. My other metrics are in line with this, so everything looks to be going well. The diet and exercise are going well.

BFC Readings and Average For The Past Two Weeks
The BFC Average listed below is a simple 7 day moving average. It tends to overstate current BFC slightly as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic BFC readings and shows the actual BFC rate of change over time. Readers curious to know more about how to effectively use an Omron or any other bioelectrical impedance body fat composition meter should read my previous post, "How to Get Semi-Useful Body Fat Composition Data Out of a Bioelectrical Impedance Analyzer" (WFS).

__Date_______BFC Reading_____BFC Average
Mon, Jul 25, 2011_______41.5%_______41.5%
Tue, Jul 26, 2011_______41.5%_______41.5%
Wed, Jul 27, 2011_______41.5%_______41.5%
Thu, Jul 28, 2011_______41.1%_______41.4%
Fri, Jul 29, 2011_______41.2%_______41.4%
Sat, Jul 30, 2011_______41.3%_______41.3%
Sun, Jul 31, 2011_______41.6%_______41.4%
Mon, Aug 1, 2011_______40.9%_______41.3%
Tue, Aug 2, 2011_______41.0%_______41.2%
Wed, Aug 3, 2011_______41.0%_______41.2%
Thu, Aug 4, 2011_______41.2%_______41.2%
Fri, Aug 5, 2011_______40.8%_______41.1%
Sat, Aug 6, 2011_______41.1%_______41.1%
Sun, Aug 7, 2011_______40.9%_______41.0%
Mon, Aug 8, 2011_______40.9%_______41.0%

Luke Seubert 08-10-2011 06:52 AM

WOD - Tabata Kettlebell Hell Day

Date: August 8, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: Low 70's F (Internet connection was down.)
  • Humidity: Somewhere in the 90's %
  • Heat Index: Probably mid 70's F

Comments
The warmup went well, and I set a new PR, beating the old one by 14 seconds. I improved this time, despite not pushing hard on this walk, because it is now a warmup and not the main exercises. This is a solid indicator that I am steadily getting more fit as I continue to exercise, when I set new PRs without trying too hard to do so.

The stretching went very well. I was more limber than yesterday, and there was less soreness and stiffness in my limbs. The short dynamic stretching program is helping me to loosen up a bit.

Not surprisingly, I didn't do too well with the Tabata Kettlebells. I got through about 1/3 of a Tabata round, and then stopped. Part of this failure is my not having done kettlebell swings in quite a while. Some of it is desire to ease into things, and my concern over doing the swing incorrectly and causing an injury. And some of it is that I just need to toughen up a bit and stick through it all.

I shot video of myself doing the swings, which I will analyze for flaws and correct if need be in future sessions. As I do more kettlebells, I should get back into the swing of things, so to speak. As for toughening up, well, that is just something I will have to work on in my head.

Warmup -
  • Time: 17:31 PR!
  • Heart Rate: 131 BPM

Stretch - Mostly Dynamic Stretching Routine
  1. Marching Arms with Neck Rolls
  2. Arm Hugs
  3. Shoulder Rolls
  4. Windmills
  5. Torso Twists
  6. Lateral Torso Stretches
  7. Bent Knees Ankle Touches
  8. Hip Wangers
  9. Leg Swings
  10. Leg Side Swipes
  11. Knee Pumps
  12. Swedish Twists
  13. Hurdler's Drill
  14. Quadriceps Stretch
  15. Calf Stretch
  16. Hamstring Stretch
  17. Full Body Stretch

Tabata Kettlebell Swings
20 seconds on, 10 seconds off. Repeat 8 times. 4 minutes per round.
  • Kettlebell Weight: 17 1/2 pounds
  • Swing: Two-handed Russian
  • Tabata Rounds Completed: 1 partial round - about 1/3
  • Rest Interval Between Rounds: n/a

Luke Seubert 08-10-2011 06:56 AM

WOD - Shovel Glove Fun Day (WFS)

Date: August 9, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: Mid 70's F
  • Humidity: High 80's to Low 90's%
  • Heat Index: Mid to High 70's F

Comments
Yet another PR in the Hilly Walk, and a substantial gain too! I went from 17:45 to 16:46. I think these workouts with medicine balls and kettlebells are definitely spilling over into the walking, and improving my times. I had the energy this morning to walk at a good clip, though I didn't walk at a really hard one. But I felt good throughout, walked quickly, and didn't die quite so much on the hills. This walk is getting noticeably easier and faster, and is doing so surprisingly quickly. One of these days, not a medicine ball or kettlebell day, I will go very hard and see what my PR really is.

I skipped the stretching this time. For some odd reason, I did not feel up to it, and went right to the Shovel Glove work. I will be sure to do it next time.

Welcome to Shovel Glove! If you have never heard of it, click on the Shovel Glove link (WFS) and see what it is all about. Below, in my list of Shovel Glove exercises, I have included a video link to each exercise.

Working out with a sledgehammer is a very cool exercise routine. Although, for now, I am working out with an aluminum baseball bat to learn all the moves. Most are simple, but the Moulinet and Samurai Thrust require a bit more coordination. Once I get those down, I will move on to a proper sledgehammer.

That said, this workout went well. Some of the exercises are isolation movements, but which still stress core muscles. I used these from time to time as breathers, between compound movements using much more of the body. They appear more frequently early on and later in the workout, building in a warmup period and a cooldown period. My two favorite exercises are Moulinet and Reaping the Wheat. Those are fun - I enjoy their rhythm.

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles
  • Time: 16:46 PR!
  • Heart Rate: 134 BPM

Shovel Glove Medley (WFS)
60 seconds per exercise - AMRAP. 10 second rest interval between exercises. 2 pound aluminum baseball bat.
  1. Driving Fence Posts (WFS)
  2. Flip the Lever (WFS)
  3. Stoke the Oven (WFS)
  4. Hoist the Sack (WFS)
  5. Shovel (WFS)
  6. Pull Weeds (WFS)
  7. Chop Wood (WFS)
  8. Churning Butter (WFS)
  9. Chop the Tree (WFS)
  10. Moulinet (WFS)
  11. Tuck Bales (WFS)
  12. Fireman (WFS)
  13. Samurai Thrust (WFS)
  14. Paddle Canoe (WFS)
  15. Reaping the Wheat (WFS)
  16. Pump Water (WFS)

Luke Seubert 08-10-2011 06:58 AM

Date: August 10, 2011
Today is the end of Week 14 of my fat loss regimen.

Last Week's Bodyweight Trend: 375.2 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight Trend: 372.0 lbs
Last Week's Bodyweight: 370.6 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight: 366.4 lbs
Total Bodyweight Trend Lost to Date: 53.6 lbs
Total Bodyweight Lost to Date: 59.2 lbs

Comments
This was a very good week, with my rate of bodyweight loss in the low 3's - pounds per week, that is - 1.4 kg for our metric readers. I am eating mostly the same, so I believe this slight increase in bodyweight loss rate is due to more intense exercise. My BFC readings are starting to really drop quickly now, so all indications are that I am losing plenty of fat, but very little if any muscle. It will be interesting to see what my body measurements are this coming Saturday. I should see a pretty decent decrease.

Meanwhile, the diet is going well. I didn't really have any free meals this past week - I just don't seem interested. I did have two meals which had a bit of corn mixed in with a lot of Paleo vegetables, but that was about it. The longer I stick to a Paleo Diet, the easier it gets. Those wheat-based carbs just don't interest me like they used to. I know that pizza makes my heart race and leaves me feeling sluggish and tired later on. Eh - not interested.

The exercise is going very well too. I just completed my first 3-On, 1-Off cycle of the new, more rigorous exercises, and those went OK, with improvements to come as I get stronger and fitter. I easily set a new PR in hill walking. My recovery rate and abilities are much improved from past years. I am not nearly as sore the next day from exercise as I once was. I feel much better after a vigorous workout. Well, vigorous for me anyway. But this allows me to engage in tougher exercise sooner than I otherwise would, which allows me to lose fat faster while retaining muscle mass. Thank you Paleo Diet and fish oil!

Wed, 08/03/11_______370.6 lbs_______375.2 lbs
Thu, 08/04/11_______370.2 lbs_______374.7 lbs
Fri, 08/05/11_______369.8 lbs_______374.2 lbs
Sat, 08/06/11_______371.6 lbs_______373.9 lbs
Sun, 08/07/11_______370.4 lbs_______373.6 lbs
Mon, 08/08/11_______369.6 lbs_______373.2 lbs
Tue, 08/09/11_______367.0 lbs_______372.6 lbs
Wed, 08/10/11_______366.4 lbs_______372.0 lbs

Luke Seubert 08-10-2011 07:00 AM

WOD - Rest Day
  • Date: August 10, 2011

Comments
In the past 3-On cycle, I began a new set of exercises on each of the three days - Solo Medicine Ball Medley, Tabata Kettlebell, and Shovel Glove. My purpose was to do exercise more challenging than just walking. (Indeed, I now use the 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles walk as my warmup, along with a dynamic stretching routine.) These new exercises are quite varied, and mostly consist of whole body and functional movements.

So, how did I do in this past cycle? OK. I wasn't quite as beat as I thought I would be, and I got through what exercises I did just fine in that respect. Recovery has gone quite well. The results are definitely showing up at the scale and with the body fat composition meter. I am back to dropping lots of fat, while losing very little muscle. That said, I did not complete my exercises on Medicine Ball and Kettlebell.

I like the variety of the new exercise routines. Each day produced a different set of somewhat sore muscles, and I think I have the entire body fairly well covered among the three routines. Certainly my core muscles are getting a very solid workout, which is one of the key overall goals. That said, I am very glad this is a rest day. I am a little bit sore and a bit more tired, and I could use the break. But the way I see it, if I am not appreciating my rest day, my workouts aren't tough enough.

Goals for Next 3-On Cycle
  1. Do all portions of my Rx'd workouts - warmup, stretch, and main exercise.
  2. Push very hard and get all the way through my Medicine Ball workout routine.
  3. Push very hard and complete one round of Tabata Kettlebell Two-handed Russian swings.
    • I will switch to a lighter weight on the Kettlebell.
    • I will go with the easier 1.1 Mostly Flat Miles walk as a warmup, instead of the hills, on Kettlebell Day.
  4. On Shovel Glove day, I will take the hilly walk and push really hard on it, and see if I can set a new PR.

Luke Seubert 08-10-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 971956)
Glad you're so motivated! I'll be looking for those workouts. ;)

I was unable to post for a few days, but I am all caught up now. I kept working out and logging everything though. See my previous posts for all the gory details.

Check out the Shovel Glove Fun Day (WFS), Arturo. It is a very interesting workout, and it nicely complements Medicine Ball and Tabata Kettlebell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Standel (Post 972047)
Awesome work - good progress.

Glad to see you are not only motivated and determined, but are having fun with these new exercises. I find that is more than half of the battle and the biggest problem I have experienced in sticking with an exercise program prior to CrossFit.

I found I liked to run and lift weights, but if I wanted to do both it took too much time away from my family, if I did only one, I got bored and started to dislike it. Then I found XFit which allows me to do both, progress, and manage my time to not take too much time from my family or my job.

Keep up the hard work and the keep raising the bar. Have fun with it!

Yeah, one of the things I like about CrossFit is the variety of exercises. I tend to get bored too easily, and the different challenges keep it interesting. While I am not really doing CrossFit exercises for the time being, I am following a lot of CrossFit principles with my new exercise regimen. Relatively short but more intense workouts. Functional movements. Lots of variety. Somewhat unorthodox exercises. And for now, a big focus on body core exercises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 971781)
Great job on the exercise and fat loss, Luke! The 17 Day Diet is the latest fad, where you go in cycles of 17 days. Apparently it works fast. I haven't actually bought the book because I'm afraid I might actually do it while my resistance is low because the scale isn't moving. I'm pretty sure sticking with my current plan is much healthier. Also I have lost weight fast before, but never kept it off. So I just need to stick with the program!

How are you feeling with the added activity? Good? Any DOMS? Good to hear staying Paleo is getting easier. Do you cook a bunch of food all at once or each meal separately? I'm always looking for tips to make things a little quicker and easier. Right now I'm a fan of making a big pot of soup every week which is great for one easy, no thought required meal per day.

Ah, that is what the 17 Day Diet is. OK. Actually, a few diet's do have an induction phase, that lasts around-about 17 days or so. Atkins does it, and Diane Kress recommends one too. In both cases, it is a no carb or low carb diet for a brief period of time. Without any added salt, this drops a lot of unneeded water weight, and helps to reprogram the liver to burn body fat more readily. I did something similar when I began my diet as well.

The additional activity is going well. I thought I would get hammered a lot harder than I did. My recovery capacity is much improved, thanks to Paleo and fish oil - very big difference. No DOMS, by which I mean serious hardcore DOMS. I had some muscle soreness in my lower abs for two days, but nothing like DOMS.

As for Paleo cooking, I partially cook in batches, and prepare some things meal by meal. For example, I cook all of my meats in batches, usually by slow roasting at 250 F. Slow roasting is a technique used to make really lean game meat more tender and moist. It works well on lean beef, pork, and poultry. I then store this cooked meat in plastic containers, and put it on the coldest shelf in the fridge. With excellent kitchen sanitation protocols in place, this meat keeps well for up to 8 or 9 days. (Use cloves with the pork, and pepper with the beef - they inhibit bacterial activity.)

When I prepare a meal, I almost always dice the meat and do a quick sautee of it, to warm it up and brown it nicely. The vegetables I almost always steam, which doesn't take much time, and ensures maximum nutrient quality. When I need to take meals with me, I cook up in batches and put a whole meal into a plastic container with a lid. The meat gets a small, blue, freezer cold-pack tossed on top of it, to keep it cold.

Arturo Garcia 08-10-2011 09:51 AM

Way to go Luke!! :)
The walks are now a warm-up, I like that. Imgaine the day when your kettlebell circuits, the ones you can't complete now, are your warm-ups..... ;)