CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Pukie's Bucket (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   combining pullups with school (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=80508)

Hamze Abdi 02-18-2013 09:39 PM

combining pullups with school

How do you guys do it? I'm not sure how to do it anymore. I'm stuck in class from 8:30 to 12:30...

When I was doing 60 pullups, I could stay up as long as needed to get all of them. Now, I no longer have this luxury. I'm scared to sacrifice sleep for the sake of pullups...

Eric Montgomery 02-18-2013 09:48 PM

Re: combining pullups with school

Are you still wasting two hours every day on walking?

I'm really having a hard time seeing how school would prevent you from doing a few sets of pullups at some point during the day.

Jeff Enge 02-18-2013 09:57 PM

Especially if its only 4 hours. Do two sets before school, a set between each class, a set before and after lunch, a set when you get out of class, a set before and after dinner, a set before you get in the shower. I mean, it takes all of 15 seconds at most. You are really overthinking this working out thing.

Hamze Abdi 02-18-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 1139335)
Are you still wasting two hours every day on walking?

I'm really having a hard time seeing how school would prevent you from doing a few sets of pullups at some point during the day.

It's not like they let me do pullups in school. I already have a hard time maintaining a normal life doing pullups. Now, I have to add school to the mix.

6 hours. 6 hours I am not allowed to do pullups.

Brad Allen Jones 02-18-2013 09:59 PM

That leaves you 18 hours.

Hamze Abdi 02-18-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones (Post 1139343)
That leaves you 18 hours.

I'll try and make the whole thing work. I've just never had to do it before. Last time in school, I was lazier and unable to do pullups...

Eric Montgomery 02-18-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1139342)
It's not like they let me do pullups in school. I already have a hard time maintaining a normal life doing pullups. Now, I have to add school to the mix.

6 hours. 6 hours I am not allowed to do pullups.

Man, if only there was someone--anyone--in human history who managed to balance school or maybe a job with doing a few sets of pullups per day. He'd be a great person to seek advice from.

How were pullups getting in the way of you maintaining a normal life before? I'm trying real hard to see things from your perspective here but it's not working.

Hamze Abdi 02-18-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 1139347)
Man, if only there was someone--anyone--in human history who managed to balance school or maybe a job with doing a few sets of pullups per day. He'd be a great person to seek advice from.

How were pullups getting in the way of you maintaining a normal life before? I'm trying real hard to see things from your perspective here but it's not working.

I'd stay up 24 hours a day just to get some more pullups done. That kind of relaxed lifestyle(sleep whenever you want) just doesn't work with school. I'd get scared to eat anything because I'm afraid it will ruin my pullups. I don't even watch TV anymore.

I don't know what to tell you. My life is different now.

John Holcombe 02-18-2013 11:49 PM

Honestly there's not much we can tell you man. Nobody could balance a schedule like that with 60 pullups. We're just mortal men, not gods.

Chris Jones 02-19-2013 12:30 AM

afraid to eat for fear it will ruin your pullups? I sure do like eating meat but spam is low on my list...

Pearse Shields 02-19-2013 03:08 AM

You eat, it weighs you down, you can no longer do pull-ups :( It's sad when it happens.

Bill M. Hesse 02-19-2013 04:00 AM

Bro...........I find time to workout and go to school AND work. It is called do it when you have time. How have you made it this far?

Shawn Mullins 02-19-2013 05:14 AM

...Shenanigans...

All of us are going to just list out how was are busier than you are and manage to get the time in. Between class, work, and homework I get it you are busy.

If you go to bed at 10pm and wake up at 6am that's eight hours of sleep. Minus a 4 hour class and 12 hours of your day are still hanging out there free for the taking. Unless you have more you haven't told us.

I always liked that poster "Someone busier than you is running right now"

I guess there's a new one "Someone busier than you is crushing pull-ups"

P.S. If you had time to write this post you had time for pull-ups...

Andrew N. Casey 02-19-2013 05:15 AM

the answer is obviously to quit school. priorities. pullups > school.

Bill M. Hesse 02-19-2013 05:19 AM

Your solution is to watch this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4 wfs

Chris Jones 02-19-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey (Post 1139400)
the answer is obviously to quit school. priorities. pullups > school.

The man speaks the truth.

Brian Lelli 02-19-2013 06:35 AM

Have we been trolled? :super:

Nik Nichols 02-19-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1139402)
Your solution is to watch this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4 wfs

HA, it looks like a pop tart.

Nik Nichols 02-19-2013 06:37 AM

Op Post your day, I would like to see what you do in a day exactly where is your time spent.

Jeff Enge 02-19-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Lelli (Post 1139420)
Have we been trolled? :super:

Unless he is a serial troll, he's had several other threads over time:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...78#post1109378
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...79#post1125679
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...05#post1112105

all wfs.

I think it is somebody just chronically overthinking exercise...

Eric Montgomery 02-19-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1139355)
I'd stay up 24 hours a day just to get some more pullups done. That kind of relaxed lifestyle(sleep whenever you want) just doesn't work with school. I'd get scared to eat anything because I'm afraid it will ruin my pullups. I don't even watch TV anymore.

I don't know what to tell you. My life is different now.

Lucky for me I dropped out of school in 8th grade to pursue my passion of pullups--no more wasting 6-8 hours per day learning about non-pullup-related matters.

I also conditioned myself to survive on only 2 hours of sleep per day so I could have the other 22 to get my pullups in. I can understand others may not be able to afford this kind of lifestyle though, and I pity them.

Chris Diamont 02-19-2013 08:11 AM

Last time I checked, 8:30 to 12:30 was 4 hours. Maybe things are taught different in school now?

Brad Allen Jones 02-19-2013 09:11 AM

Yeah just give up on pull ups man. I mean, sure, you could do a lot of pull ups, but at what cost?

Chris Spealler can do 106 without dropping from the bar, but has he really done with his life. I can guarantee he doesn't have a college degree, or even any basic knowledge of the world we live in aside from pull ups. I can see him walking up and down the aisles at the grocery store with people pointing and laughing at him, snickering under their breath.

Don't even get me started on Navy Seal David Goggins who did like 2,600 in one day, there is no way that guy has done anything with his life.

Andrew N. Casey 02-19-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones (Post 1139494)
Yeah just give up on pull ups man. I mean, sure, you could do a lot of pull ups, but at what cost?

Chris Spealler can do 106 without dropping from the bar, but has he really done with his life. I can guarantee he doesn't have a college degree, or even any basic knowledge of the world we live in aside from pull ups. I can see him walking up and down the aisles at the grocery store with people pointing and laughing at him, snickering under their breath.

Don't even get me started on Navy Seal David Goggins who did like 2,600 in one day, there is no way that guy has done anything with his life.

so what you are saying is that if i drop out of school, do lot of pullups, learn to sleep while walking on a treadmill, and do squats with a 45lb bar that i can become a navy seal and a successful CF athlete?

Brad Allen Jones 02-19-2013 09:32 AM

Don't fall in that trap!

John Holcombe 02-19-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey (Post 1139498)
so what you are saying is that if i drop out of school, do lot of pullups, learn to sleep while walking on a treadmill, and do squats with a 45lb bar that i can become a navy seal and a successful CF athlete?

no, that would be wasting time with too many non pullup exercises

walking = not doing pullups
squats = not pullups

Andrew N. Casey 02-19-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Holcombe (Post 1139529)
no, that would be wasting time with too many non pullup exercises

walking = not doing pullups
squats = not pullups

this explains so much! no wonder i am not where i want to be. i wonder if anyone has told Josh Bridges yet.

Charles Golden 02-19-2013 10:54 AM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned sleeping pullups yet, I mean that's really the answer to this dilemna.

:run:you are getting sleepy

Bill M. Hesse 02-19-2013 04:16 PM

Kill it! Beat these beastly threads back to their source of origin! Klovov commands it!

Clint Harris 02-19-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1139332)
How do you guys do it? I'm not sure how to do it anymore. I'm stuck in class from 8:30 to 12:30...

When I was doing 60 pullups, I could stay up as long as needed to get all of them. Now, I no longer have this luxury. I'm scared to sacrifice sleep for the sake of pullups...

I had this same problem. Had class from 08:30-12:30 at night after work and I didn't have time to do any pull-ups. I didn't even have a chance to watch any TV, it was really hectic. Finally, after a number of hours of quality time spent blogging about this problem on the Internet, someone pointed out to me that I was only going to class on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. These were the exact same days that I had been trying to do pull-ups on. What they suggested was that I try doing pull-ups on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. It has been a big change and is a struggle, but I think it is going to be OK.

Fan Yang 02-19-2013 11:48 PM

yinz gettin' trolled fairly firmly

Chris Jones 02-20-2013 01:39 AM

I dont know, i had a doctors appt awhile back and after everything was finished i was just talking to my doc and mentioned that i was having trouble squeezing in more than 2 or 3 pullups a day because i had class all morning. I felt it serious enough to ask because i felt like it was really keeping me from getting my Fran time into the negative time domain. He actually mentioned that i may have low testosterone levels which blew my mind...since im just now in my mid 20s with an active lifestyle and good diet. So now im taking a bunch of test. boosters and i finally realized im doing it all wrong! Ive just read that i need to be doing squats because it raises your natural test. levels by like 207% or something crazy high. So i figure with higher test. i should be able to do a buttload of pullups! But ill have to wait to test it out because i have school some mornings, oh well ill give it a shot when i graduate in 3 years.

Hamze Abdi 02-20-2013 01:46 AM

So, apparently, class isn't a mandatory 8:30 thing. I can show up between 8:30 and 12:30 or not show up...

I finally got all my 63 pullups done. I fall asleep at 3:30, I can wake up at 10:30 and start class at 11:30.

This makes life a bit easier...

Pearse Shields 02-20-2013 03:33 AM

What the heck

Bill M. Hesse 02-20-2013 06:18 AM

Awesome dude! Now you can make the most of your pullups instead of your schooling! This is going to help you in the professional world more than you know!

Eric Montgomery 02-20-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1139979)
So, apparently, class isn't a mandatory 8:30 thing. I can show up between 8:30 and 12:30 or not show up...

I finally got all my 63 pullups done. I fall asleep at 3:30, I can wake up at 10:30 and start class at 11:30.

This makes life a bit easier...

Why is 63 the magic number? If I remember right, your max set is 7, which means you should be doing 3-4 sets of ~4 reps throughout the day. Total time commitment: no more than 3 minutes unless you have to walk across town to find a pullup bar.

But hey, I'm not one to let an arbitrary number stop me from missing 3/4 of the education I'm paying for.

Jeff Enge 02-20-2013 07:29 AM

... I don't even...

Brad Allen Jones 02-20-2013 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 11709
.. .. ..

Steven Nedorolik 02-20-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones (Post 1140090)

Clearly, Hedgehog has trouble with pullups also.

Hamze Abdi 02-20-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 1140026)
Why is 63 the magic number? If I remember right, your max set is 7, which means you should be doing 3-4 sets of ~4 reps throughout the day. Total time commitment: no more than 3 minutes unless you have to walk across town to find a pullup bar.

But hey, I'm not one to let an arbitrary number stop me from missing 3/4 of the education I'm paying for.

Well, it's one more pullup each day. Obviously, trying to speed up the time between pullups didn't work, so I'm just going to do a lot of volume...

Usually, people that do 100 pullups a day are able to do around 10.

90 minutes. I'm only allowed to hand in *one* assignment a day after 90 minutes of work. You said it yourself. Why should I spend more time than necessary to get the job done?

Why should I spend more time on the treadmill if 2000 seconds of sprinting is enough work?