CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Pukie's Bucket (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   combining pullups with school (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=80508)

Brad Allen Jones 02-22-2013 02:51 PM

Re: combining pullups with school

Guys we've had our fun but from now on I'd appreciate it if you refrain from putting anything but constructive advice on here.

Hamze Abdi 02-22-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1141220)
It's winter here too, Hamze, I feel your pain. Have some patience, you are 20 years old. My training advice still stands: Work on getting stronger everywhere. You will be surprised how much a gain in overall strength can make in you running.

You can test yourself whenever it gets warm enough to run. Or if you can find an indoor track somewhere, they are usually 200m, and you can usually find them in high school or college athletics facilities if you have any around you.

Hmm, I found a track. Costs about 8 dollars to use it. Should I test now, or in the morning tomorrow?

Brad Allen Jones 02-22-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141241)
Hmm, I found a track. Costs about 8 dollars to use it. Should I test now, or in the morning tomorrow?

I know that around here you can usually use a high school gym for free. Maybe look into that, they usually have some kind of indoor track area. As for when you go test it, that's up to you and your convenience.

Nik Nichols 02-22-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Jones (Post 1141122)
I totally agree and I didn't mean anything negative or mean by it. Some of the replies just seemed so far out in the beginning it almost came off as just messing with people.

I know what you mean, but we are not all the same. It has been hard at best to get good info to work with ( no insult Hamze) and it came across that he was messing but still it seemd we were all missing the meaning of each other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141163)
It was never meant to be permanent. The whole point of cardio is to help lose weight and get better at pullups. Once I get good enough, then I can stop training pullups so much and work on something else(maintain pullup ability 3 times a week). I would never spend 3 months doing hours of cardio...

Why is it okay for Harry Aikines-Aryeetey to sprint a lot and do a lot of pullups?

Even Michael Jordan had to skip school for basketball. His father had to make him attend school.

Quote:

Test it tomorrow when you are fully rested and post your time no matter what they are. They are a building point, a place to start. If you can not finish a run , not that, or how many time you had to stop. That is still a starting point to go from.

Just a note, running faster is not going to happen by walking on the tread mill for two hours.

You want to trim down, and look better, eat right. Start small, like give up sodas and sugar drink( I am just saying for instance, I know not what your diet is). Give up sugar drinks, then when you get that under controll, move to other bads in your diet.

Sara Ochsner 02-22-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

I would go through a warm up routine before you test.

Andrew N. Casey 02-22-2013 03:54 PM

i noticed you ignored my post earlier.... i told you what to do... solve all your problems... if you don't have access to weight then do P90x... pick one and do it and stop thinking about what to do... get off this board and go get to work... throw something, pick up something heavy, do pushups or pullups, and sprint - or any combination of those you like - for between 20 minutes to an hour 4 to 6 days a week. completely rest 1 to 3 days a week. eat lean meat and veggies. do this for at least 3 months. report back at that time. either you will take advice or you should stop asking.

oh - and as to the winter thing i would say you need to harden up, buttercup.

Hamze Abdi 02-22-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1141249)
Test it tomorrow when you are fully rested and post your time no matter what they are. They are a building point, a place to start. If you can not finish a run , not that, or how many time you had to stop. That is still a starting point to go from.

Just a note, running faster is not going to happen by walking on the tread mill for two hours.

You want to trim down, and look better, eat right. Start small, like give up sodas and sugar drink( I am just saying for instance, I know not what your diet is). Give up sugar drinks, then when you get that under controll, move to other bads in your diet.

Will try to test it... I just gotta get a stopwatch.

Eric Montgomery 02-22-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141163)
It was never meant to be permanent. The whole point of cardio is to help lose weight and get better at pullups. Once I get good enough, then I can stop training pullups so much and work on something else(maintain pullup ability 3 times a week). I would never spend 3 months doing hours of cardio...

Why is it okay for Harry Aikines-Aryeetey to sprint a lot and do a lot of pullups?

Even Michael Jordan had to skip school for basketball. His father had to make him attend school.

No, the point of cardio is to get better at cardio and possibly lose weight. If you want to get better at pullups you do pullups. And you don't need to train pullups every day to improve on a max of 7-8 pullups.

Harry Aikines-Aryeetey trains a lot because he's a professional athlete and his livelihood depends on it. And I guarantee pullups are only a small part of his training...his squats, deadlifts, Olympic lifts, and track work have a far bigger impact on his speed than pullups do.

What does Michael Jordan skipping school have to do with anything? I'm assuming you mean him leaving UNC after his junior year to go to the NBA...which means he was leaving college early to sign a multimillion dollar contract. You're not getting yourself set for a multimillion dollar contract by prioritizing pullups ahead of school.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141208)
It's winter here. Where do I find a track?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141208)
I don't know. How do I test my 40 yard dash?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141272)
Will try to test it... I just gotta get a stopwatch.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but how do you manage to feed and clothe yourself on a daily basis if you require this much assistance on finding a place to test your speed? I highly recommend taking 10 minutes to read this (WFS) and think about how you could apply it to your current situation.

Andrew N. Casey 02-22-2013 04:55 PM

since you continue to ignore my posts... let me ask you this...

would you like me to make you out a program? then you will know exactly what do.

Hamze Abdi 02-22-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey (Post 1141290)
since you continue to ignore my posts... let me ask you this...

would you like me to make you out a program? then you will know exactly what do.

You called me buttercup. I wasn't aware you were on my side...