CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Stuff and Nonsense (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Yay! I just passed my dissertation defense! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=46042)

Ivan Wolfe 04-30-2009 06:24 PM

Yay! I just passed my dissertation defense!

You may call me "Doctor Wolfe" now, I guess. (No, you don't have to).

Just passed my dissertation defense! Other than some copyediting, no major revisions were requested. Once I turn it into the Graduate office next week, it'll be official and all that! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry - this has controlled the last six years of my life. I just had to celebrate).

[My dissertation, if anyone cares, was on epideicticand deliberative rhetoric in nineteenth centiury America and their relationship to utopian fiction. There - that should put a stop to any questions about that.]

Celebrate with me. I don't drink, so have a drink for me (or whatever).

Okay, I'm calm now.

NOT!

:king:

Frank Dennis 04-30-2009 06:53 PM

Re: Yay! I just passed my dissertation defense!

Congratulations, man!

So, I can't tell from the subject of your dissertation what you're actually a doctor of... anthropology? American history? Political Science?

Anyway, congrats! :highfive:

Ivan Wolfe 04-30-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Dennis (Post 578895)
Congratulations, man!

So, I can't tell from the subject of your dissertation what you're actually a doctor of... anthropology? American history? Political Science?

Anyway, congrats! :highfive:

Thanks. :highfive: back at ya!

It's a Ph.D. in English, technically. My specialty is Rhetoric and Writing, with a side glances at American Literature.

I'm off to bed. I suddenly feel very relaxed - it's like six years worth of stress just left my body or something . . . .

Matt Hitt 04-30-2009 07:31 PM

Congrats to you Ivan! :notworth:

I'll be beginning my PhD in American Politics next fall at Ohio State, so I'm in for the pain you just completed. Well done on getting that sucker defended!

John Casey 04-30-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Wolfe (Post 578909)
Thanks. :highfive: back at ya!

It's a Ph.D. in English, technically. My specialty is Rhetoric and Writing, with a side glances at American Literature.

I'm off to bed. I suddenly feel very relaxed - it's like six years worth of stress just left my body or something . . . .

I'm a high school English teacher (who happens to be in the Navy for quite some time...). I used to drill my students about poor logic and rhetoric in their writing. You seem to be some kind of authority on this. Any suggested reading for me? Start gentle...

PS: Fan-freaking-tastic. CONGRATULATIONS!! :super:

Kurt Armbruster 04-30-2009 09:13 PM

Congrats!

On the other hand:

Me fail inglish? That's unpossible!
--Ralph

Phillip Garrison 04-30-2009 10:48 PM

What was your dissertation on? I plan on starting my PhD in spring of '10

Jason Neal 05-01-2009 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Wolfe (Post 578872)
You may call me "Doctor Wolfe" now, I guess. (No, you don't have to).

Just passed my dissertation defense! Other than some copyediting, no major revisions were requested. Once I turn it into the Graduate office next week, it'll be official and all that! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry - this has controlled the last six years of my life. I just had to celebrate).

[My dissertation, if anyone cares, was on epideicticand deliberative rhetoric in nineteenth centiury America and their relationship to utopian fiction. There - that should put a stop to any questions about that.]

Celebrate with me. I don't drink, so have a drink for me (or whatever).

Okay, I'm calm now.

NOT!

:king:

Congrats! So were you required to get a proficiency in German and French? It seems like every Ph.D. requires that, even in Math! Regardless, are you teaching at the university level and infecting impressionable minds with the joys of CrossFit?

Jason Neal 05-01-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison (Post 579022)
What was your dissertation on? I plan on starting my PhD in spring of '10

On epideicticand deliberative rhetoric in nineteenth centiury America and their relationship to utopian fiction.

Sara Fleming 05-01-2009 03:56 AM

Congratulations Ivan!

When I got my Masters degree I told my husband he had to call me "Master", but he didn't buy it. . . :D