CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Alternative to HSPU's (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=6041)

Aaron Graham 06-14-2006 05:28 AM

Hi all

Tried these the other day using a pullup bar to rest my feet but im not strong enough to do them, is there an alternative to them??one that will make me strong enough to do them.

Thanks

Chris Forbis 06-14-2006 05:34 AM

Standing dumbbell shoulder press. No driving up with the hips. As strength increases, increase the dumbbell weight.

In addition to this, you should practice your static handstand (against a wall or with a spot until proficient).

George Brothers 06-14-2006 06:46 AM

along with db shoulder press and static handstand you can do pike pushups or pushups with feet elevated. just keep elevating the feet higher and higher until you are doing handstands.

Chris Kemp 06-14-2006 06:56 AM

Posted at CrossFitCS.com but copied here for anyone that might benefit.

Aaron, here are a couple of thoughts on what you could do to work up to HSPU's as well as sub's for the WOD.

Firstly, can you kick up into a hand stand against a wall? If not post back and I will fill you in when I have some other stuff to hand.

If so, your sub for HSPU's could be kicking up into a handstand and holding it tight for two or three seconds, come down then repeat for reps. Sounds easy but can be a real cardio smoker!

Next, to work the movement itself. Set up a stack of thin books (about half an inch each) in between your hands below where your head will be. To start with allow about an inch free space below the level of your head. Now kick up into a handstand and ever so slightly bend the elbows and straighten them again. DON'T even go for the stack - just get the confidence to bend and straighten your arms.

IF you are comfortable with that go to the stack (gently!!) then push up. Once you are comfortable with sets of 5 to that depth, remove one book and start again.

IF YOU CAN'T control the movement even a little bit then find something like a table top that you can rest your feet on. Get into an inclined press-up position with your feet on the table. From there walk your hands towards the table until you are bent in an L shape with your body and arms near to vertical. Get comfy then try the elbow bend and straighten process again.. If you are good to go then use the book idea mentioned above.

If not then work on incline press-ups and bench/ bar/ ring dips to further strengthen your arms and shoulders.

Regardless of what level you are at you should also be spending at least a few minutes a day inverted even if it is just static holds or even kick-up practice. Not only will you become for comfortable with this down-under perspective but your shoulders will gain strength and flexibility.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, kempie

Dustin Lebel 06-14-2006 12:42 PM

I've been using pike push ups as a sub while working on handstands and whatever "reps" I can manage after the wod's (along w/other parallette work).

Ben Kaminski 06-14-2006 06:46 PM

Find something about chest height, like a smith machine bar. Press to headstand (not handstand) in front of it and hook your heels over the bar. Now you can use your hamstrings to assist your arms in the HSPU.

Daniel Schmieding 06-21-2006 11:34 AM

I think the easiest, most straight forward way to do this would be to start by doing a normal pushup... then elevate your feet on a block and do a pushup... then something a bit higher... pushup.. higher, pushup, higher, pushup.. until you've found your limit. Eventually you'll be doing it with your feet above a 90 degree angle... and eventually handstand.

Peter Queen 06-22-2006 09:38 AM

The rungs of a ladder can help with the gradual elevation increase.