CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Increasing fat blocks on zone (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39577)

Andrew Kent Johnston 11-22-2008 10:29 AM

Increasing fat blocks on zone

Sorry, I see there have been some questions to this effect, but is there a definitive rule or answer yet as to how much an athlete should increase fat blocks by?

I just stopped doing starting strength and have gotten an olympic lifting coach and am training at a very high volume, three times a week. The zone as prescribed leaves me hungry all the time (and I'm following the low GI carbs).

Should I gear up the fat blocks?

-Drew

Joe Bernard 11-22-2008 12:37 PM

Re: Increasing fat blocks on zone

up the fat if performance suffers, in your case I would. How much you up the fat depends on the person and activity level, there's no definitive rule. 2x,3x,4x,5x....you get the point.

Andrew Kent Johnston 11-22-2008 02:20 PM

Thanks Joe,

I did 1x fat the first day and crashed by dinner time. Now I just kind of go with the flow, usually about 3x fat and I feel great, so it must me okay (?).

Joe Bernard 11-22-2008 03:10 PM

Yep, if you feel great then you're on the right track. Now you get to count more almonds :D

James Compora 11-22-2008 05:10 PM

quick question regarding upping the fat...would that put a halt to fat loss? when i eat my prescribed block amount i get the always tired feeling.

Joe Bernard 11-22-2008 05:57 PM

well if you up it enough to the point where you are in a caloric surplus then yes, it would put a halt to fat loss. You may be feeling tired because of the sources of your carbs. If you only eat fruits and vegetables and still feel tired then I would try upping the fat and see how it goes.

James Compora 11-23-2008 11:13 AM

yes joe, i have been eating only the favorable carbs. Thats why im suprised i feel that way

Joe Bernard 11-23-2008 12:39 PM

yea that's weird, I would definitely up the fat then.

Markian Haluszka 11-23-2008 02:09 PM

The common approach is to black-box it: if you're feeling overly lethargic and/or your performance is suffering at X fat blocks, try 2X. Continue increasing the multiplier as necessary until you feel and perform the way you should; it's all about tweaking (read: fine-tuning) the diet to suit your needs.

Andrew Kent Johnston 11-23-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Compora (Post 453767)
yes joe, i have been eating only the favorable carbs. Thats why im suprised i feel that way

Yeah, I basically felt like I was dying by the end of 7 days, which wasn't at all how being in 'the zone' was described by Barry Sears!