CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   CrossPit (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Drills, lifts, etc. for BJJ (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=19959)

Yael Grauer 01-28-2007 12:38 AM

Obviously doing BJJ is the best way to improve your BJJ game... barring that, I was wondering, what are your favorite drills, WODs, lifts, etc. that transfer over the best to BJJ?

Laura Rucker 01-28-2007 11:38 AM

At CrossPit, Jason has us do "shrimping" across the mat, either as part of a warmup - 4 trips across the mat - or racing eachother across the mat. I finally quit scraping up my shoulders.

I went to a BJJ seminar (Thanks, Darby!) and the hip escapes seemed easier to coordinate than before.

Derek Simonds 01-28-2007 01:01 PM

Yael,

I have really been focusing on exactly what you are asking. You might have read my two threads on PM about building strength and not gassing.

Here are the things that I have put together in the last couple of months.

I bought Stephan Kesting's Grappling Drills video. http://www.grapplearts.com/Grappling...-Info.php?sid= Work and Family Safe. There is a lot of really great drills on this video. I travel a lot so I usually am on the mat only 2 or 3 times a week. I bought this video so that I could work some of the solo drills while I am traveling.

I also have put together several exercises that I think have direct carryover to BJJ. Here are the exercises and any thoughts I have about the carryover.

Kipping P/U's. I am working really hard on this and I think that the hip movement has direct carryover to the upa escape.

Weighted P/U's with alternating grips and weighted dips. I do these to build my limit strength. In class last week a guy I was rolling with said that I have the strongest grip in class, not my hands but when I have my arms wrapped around him. He wanted to know what I did for a living to have that tight of a grip and I laughed and told him I sit in front of a computer. I did tell him that I think it is from the P/U's.

I have altered up some of the traditional crossfit workouts. Here are the variations that I am currently working

"Elizabeth"

21-15-9 reps of:
Clean and Press 75 pounds
Ring dips
Adding in the press really changes this exercise for me.

"Diane"

21-15-9 reps of:
185 pound Snatch Grip Deadlift on a 5 inch box (courtesy of the infamous Chico thread)
Handstand push-ups
This works the entire body in ways I wouldn't have imagined. After doing this my entire back and shoulder area is on fire.

"Fight Gone Bad!"

Three rounds of:
Wall-ball, 20 pound ball, 10 ft target (Reps)
Sumo deadlift high-pull, 75 pounds (Reps)
Box Jump, 20" box (Reps)
Push-press, 75 pounds (Reps)
Row (Calories)
Warrior Pushups (Reps)
The idea here is I wanted 6 minute rounds since that is how long we grapple for. You could add in any exercise at the end that you like.

For time:
Row 1000 meters
Body weight Bench press, 30 reps
Row 1000 meters
Body weight Bench squat, 30 reps
Row 1000 meters
Body weight deadlift, 30 reps
I like this one because it takes me right at 4 minutes to row 1000 meters and about 2 - 3 minutes for each of the lifting exercises. I look at each variation as a round and try to get as close to 6 minutes as I can. On the deadlift I can get under 6 minutes but not on the others yet.

Interval rowing. I row 6 minute rounds at the highest intensity I can maintain for 6 minutes at a time with a 1 minute break. My goal each time is at least 1500 meters and I score myself by how many meters over 1500 I get each time.

I have been working several different variations on situps. One I have been doing is I wrap my legs around a muay thai bag so that it is like I have someone in my closed guard and I explode up, twist and plant one of my hands on the ground behind me like I am going to attempt a sweep. I lay back down and repeat to the other side. I really work on doing this explosively.

Sorry for the long reply but I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

Sam Cannons 01-28-2007 05:02 PM

For me it was grip and core strength, i found exercises like heavy swings and OLifts, Kipping Pullups, kettlebell snathces and especially kettlebell flips and juggling. With grip i work towel pullups, COC grippers/super gripper. Overhead squats i find especially good for flexability against figure fours. For gassing i find doing CF as Rx does the trick no worries. I mostly do no-gi.

I havent tried it yet because i dont have one, but having a roll with a weighted vest on might be benificial.

I know Steve Maxwell has a dvd available that is specific for BJJ athletes. Has any one seen it ?

Daniel Foster 01-31-2007 12:48 PM

yeah I have Steve Maxwells dvd . It features 6 time would champion and 2 time adcc champion Saulo Riberio and all you need is a barbell plate to be able to do the exercises