CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 02-07-2009 07:33 PM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

[quote=Keith Walker;513480]WOW STEVE! This is Fantastic! :highfive:

Congrats on your PR! You are so awesome and make me proud! Great job on Friday WOD too! Those shoulder WOD's wear me out![/quote]

Thanks, Keith!

BTW, I think things are going to turn around for me here soon. Talking with the trainer today, he felt I might be overdoing it a little; to push hard during a WOD and then do other stuff in the same day. My eating is also coming back into line and I feel the difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Helen Lawson 02-08-2009 06:44 AM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;511926][I][B]THURSDAY 090205
Training Session with CF trainer! [/B] ... I should have done this a LONG time ago. Lots of stuff to be corrected and learn. Really feels good to work on "fixing" this stuff!
This was a LOT harder than I thought it would be, but easier to push with a trainer eggin' you on! :D
[/QUOTE]
It is great to work on fixing stuff and having someone (one-on-one) to correct you. It is also much easier to push harder when someone is focusing solely on you. It's also a great idea to do this before your level 1 cert. That way when you get there you can focus on becoming a trainer yourself instead of just on correcting your own flaws. Great work! :highfive:

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;512240]Thanks, Terry. Her name is Allison Autrey - - she's a trainer at the globo I work out at. She got into CrossFit and took the L-1 cert and is sharing her knowledge with me. I still want to work with Nick - - I definitely need to work on lifts/strength.[/QUOTE]

You are so lucky to find a Crossfit trainer at globo! Thats amazing!

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;513482]...Talking with the trainer today, he felt I might be overdoing it a little; to push hard during a WOD and then do other stuff in the same day. [/QUOTE]
I totally agree that it can be too much sometimes! Give yourself a break...think about how you felt 2 years ago...if someone had told you to do all of that in one day? :rofl: Don't push too hard too fast! Consider how far you've come to get where you are today! :D

Stephen R. Lampl 02-08-2009 05:10 PM

[quote=Helen Lawson;513608]It is great to work on fixing stuff and having someone (one-on-one) to correct you. It is also much easier to push harder when someone is focusing solely on you. It's also a great idea to do this before your level 1 cert. That way when you get there you can focus on becoming a trainer yourself instead of just on correcting your own flaws. Great work! :highfive:[/quote]

Thanks, Helen. You are so correct. My form on the rudiments is enough of a problem that I felt it important to work on it for the very reasons you suggest.

[quote=Helen Lawson;513608]You are so lucky to find a CrossFit trainer at globo! Thats amazing![/quote]

She's actually the one that got me interested in CF - - She's been a trainer there at the globo for several years and ran across the CF Website. She's been hooked ever since.

[quote=Helen Lawson;513608]I totally agree that it can be too much sometimes! Give yourself a break...think about how you felt 2 years ago...if someone had told you to do all of that in one day? :rofl: Don't push too hard too fast! Consider how far you've come to get where you are today! :D[/quote]

I have difficulty sometimes knowing where to draw the line. I feel good, and I go for it. I feel tired, or perhaps just a little off, I try to do what I can. Never have been good at backing off, but I guess I need to learn :o.

Stephen R. Lampl 02-09-2009 12:16 AM

[I][B]SUNDAY 090208

REST DAY.
[/B]
Took the day off. REALLY needed it.

Know I got my press form down correctly, at least on some of my lifts yesterday. Caught my nose on a push press and hit it so hard, I thought I'd broken it! Sure is swollen today......

Before that, broke my jump rope trying to do double unders......:shrug:
[/I]

Justin McGinley 02-09-2009 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;514058][I][B]SUNDAY 090208

REST DAY.
[/B]
Took the day off. REALLY needed it.

Know I got my press form down correctly, at least on some of my lifts yesterday. Caught my nose on a push press and hit it so hard, I thought I'd broken it! Sure is swollen today......

Before that, broke my jump rope trying to do double unders......:shrug:
[/I][/QUOTE]

Haha wowsers. It sounds like your equipment was TELLING you to take a rest day. How's the nose today? (also, you have a PM)

Stephen R. Lampl 02-09-2009 09:38 PM

[quote=Justin McGinley;514270]Haha wowsers. It sounds like your equipment was TELLING you to take a rest day. How's the nose today? (also, you have a PM)[/quote]

Hey Justin. Nose feels better - - still a bit sore and swollen, but I'll be fine. Repaired the jump rope using vinyl tubing and a thin piece of cable. Much better than before; kinda like a SuperRope for $6 rather than $22.

Stephen R. Lampl 02-09-2009 09:41 PM

[I][B]MONDAY 090209

[/B]Was going to do "Cindy", but a good snowfall dictated "Real" shoveling and snowblowing.

[B]Functional WO:
Removed approx. 800 cubic feet of snow from driveway and another 500 or so from roadway in front of house [/B](so County plow wouldn't stack a two foot high berm in front of my driveway.....).
[B]Took about 1.5 hours.[/B]
[/I]

Elizabeth Terris 02-10-2009 01:55 AM

Nice functional work out! I am so glad snow is not part of my life right now, I have no idea how I would fit shoveling into my day

Erin Davidson 02-10-2009 06:32 AM

[B]YAY SNOW SHOVELING![/B]

And - glad to hear you're working with a CF Trainer - it doesn't take long to learn a few good things that will help you to make LOTS of progress in the long term.

Saw your post in Street's log about all the jobs you have had...you might go down in the books as one of the most useful Crossfitters ever. Goes back to Rip's old saying, "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general." :rolleyes:

Hope the resting and eating will has you feeling better. Keep up the disciplined work! :kicking0:

Stephen R. Lampl 02-10-2009 12:58 PM

[quote=Elizabeth Terris;515030]Nice functional work out! I am so glad snow is not part of my life right now, I have no idea how I would fit shoveling into my day[/quote]

I hear you, ET. Sometimes while I was still working, it was a bit of an inconvenience to say the least, to wake up to having to clear it away before I "hit the road." But I [I][B]love it[/B][/I] so much. I'll never get over snow. Part of being a little "tweaked" in the brain, I guess.....:rofl:

[quote=Erin Davidson;515112][B]YAY SNOW SHOVELING![/B] [/quote](See above)...I think I'm crazy enough that I'd probably enjoy it as a paying job. More fun in a plow, though.....

[quote=Erin Davidson;515112]And - glad to hear you're working with a CF Trainer - it doesn't take long to learn a few good things that will help you to make LOTS of progress in the long term. [/quote]

It's already paying off. Nose is still swollen and sore, though....:D

[quote=Erin Davidson;515112]Saw your post in Street's log about all the jobs you have had...you might go down in the books as one of the most useful CrossFitters ever. Goes back to Rip's old saying, "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general." :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thanks, Erin. I have done a lot, and have had a lot of fun doing these things. I don't completely know about useful, though.....my daughter says I'm full of tons of useless information (we play Trival Pursuit and other games A LOT!).

[quote=Erin Davidson;515112]Hope the resting and eating will has you feeling better. Keep up the disciplined work! :kicking0:[/quote]Thanks; feeling tons better and seeing the strength starting to pick up a little. Crazy how just a tiny bit of "crack" will make me feel like dog poop and really affect my performance!