CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Keith Walker 02-02-2009 06:58 PM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;509142][I][B]MONDAY 02022009

[/B]Returned from four days of traveling and "doing" Disneyland. My intention was to work out today, but my stomach is still doing flip-flops from all the food I took in the past days. I ate pretty sensibly......just too much.

No excuses tomorrow, though.

Had a little fun while at Disneyland. The "barrier" bars were just the right height and distance apart inside the "Blue Ribbon Bakery."
[/I][/QUOTE]

sounds like you had a good time! HA! I love the new avatar! very cool! :)

Carter Jee 02-02-2009 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;508774]Thanks, Helen!

I don't think the back was sore due to DOMS. Tried stretching really carefully the other evening and heard/felt the lower left back/hip "pop" as it often does (sometimes I can't get it to, though and it'll hurt for a while). Feels much better now.

As for the cleans, I believe I was working on full squat cleans (from the floor). I'm trying to develop power right from the ground up and well.........just develop [I][B]anything[/B][/I] close to the correct form.[/QUOTE]

hey stephen!!

loving the L-sit at the cafe!!! i do them on stairs at work sometimes!!! =)

you mentioned that there was a spot on your lower left back that you couldn't get to.... try getting a theracane... they're awesome at applying myofascial release to the spots you can't reach.. i got one and it is awesome...

i was also working on my squat cleans yesterday.... one tip my trainer gave me, take off those runners so you can check that you're landing on your heels and driving out of the hole through them.... made a massive difference in my form.... as with any form correction, it all starts at the feet!!

train hard, rest hard!!!

carter

Stephen R. Lampl 02-02-2009 10:05 PM

[quote=Carter Jee;509190]hey stephen!!

loving the L-sit at the cafe!!! i do them on stairs at work sometimes!!! =)

you mentioned that there was a spot on your lower left back that you couldn't get to.... try getting a theracane... they're awesome at applying myofascial release to the spots you can't reach.. i got one and it is awesome...

i was also working on my squat cleans yesterday.... one tip my trainer gave me, take off those runners so you can check that you're landing on your heels and driving out of the hole through them.... made a massive difference in my form.... as with any form correction, it all starts at the feet!!

train hard, rest hard!!!

carter[/quote]

Hey Carter,

Good to hear from you! HA...love the L-sits at work. We never had a place to do them where I worked, but I think I'd have had some serious questions raised about my sanity (not that I had any originally.....).

Thanks for the info on the Theracane. It sounds like a good tool to keep in the "body remedy" arsenal. I am generally able to "pop" my back easily. I believe the problem is with my "SI" joint which has never fused (either side). There are a number of stretches and/or mild exercises I do which almost always work.........[I][B]almost.[/B][/I] The other times.......OUCH!

Great advice on the lifting. I was told the same thing.......gotta be in flats with little or no give in the soles, or take off the shoes and lift in the bare feet. I have a pair of New Balance 600s which are great and have almost no heel counter, plus they've turned out to be great for learning POSE running technique.

Take care!

Stephen R. Lampl 02-03-2009 09:06 PM

[I][B]TUESDAY 090203

[/B]Back in the saddle today. Trying to get my eating and water intake back in line. Didn't sleep well last night.......had to keep getting up to get rid of all the water I drank.....:rofl::rofl: (serves me right!).

[B]Warm-up
Stationary Cycling: [/B]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.6 mi / HR @ 96
[B]CFWU X 3: [/B]Added shoulder dislocates, body circles, trunk rotations, and air squats (30 x 3). [B]
Pulled something - - I think my left hip flexor - - doing GHD situps[/B] (these are pretty easy for me, so I can't understand why this occurred. Getting disappointed with my tendency toward injury...).
[B]Jump Rope singles X 100
Double Under practice: [/B]10:00. Could only get 1 today......

[B]WOD
Back Squats 5, 5, 5, 5, 5. Post loads.
WU: PVC X 15, 45# X 10, 65# X 5.
95# X 5
115# X 5
135# X F. [/B](Felt unstable on the way down, so stopped and lessened weight).
[B]125# X 5
125# X 5
125# X 5
[/B]I did these in socks (no shoes) and really concentrated on form. I feel like I'm still not "getting it" as many of the reps felt as though I was too forward on my feet. Hope to work with a strength coach before the cert...

[B]GTG Pull-ups: Total all = 34.
Dead Hang: 3 UH, 3 OH, 3 OH, 5 OH, 4 UH, 3 UH = 21 total
Kipping PUs: 5, 4, 4 = 13 total.

Thrusters:
45# X 45 reps. Time = 2:34

Seated Cable Rows:
WU: 100# X 15
145# X 5
150# X 5
155# X 5
160# X 5
100# X 15 X 2

[/B]

[/I]

Justin McGinley 02-04-2009 06:41 AM

Watch all of these videos for squat form issues and their critiques:

[URL="http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1334"]http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1334[/URL] (Not exactly wfs because of some foul language) It is advice given by Mark Rippetoe on squatting.

I learned a lot about my own faults from watching these, so I hope they help.

Lee Ann McCall 02-04-2009 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;510323][I][B]TUESDAY 090203

[/B]Back in the saddle today. Trying to get my eating and water intake back in line. Didn't sleep well last night.......had to keep getting up to get rid of all the water I drank.....:rofl::rofl: (serves me right!).

[B]Warm-up
Stationary Cycling: [/B]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.6 mi / HR @ 96
[B]CFWU X 3: [/B]Added shoulder dislocates, body circles, trunk rotations, and air squats (30 x 3). [B]
Pulled something - - I think my left hip flexor - - doing GHD situps[/B] (these are pretty easy for me, so I can't understand why this occurred. Getting disappointed with my tendency toward injury...).
[B]Jump Rope singles X 100
Double Under practice: [/B]10:00. Could only get 1 today......

[B]WOD
Back Squats 5, 5, 5, 5, 5. Post loads.
WU: PVC X 15, 45# X 10, 65# X 5.
95# X 5
115# X 5
135# X F. [/B](Felt unstable on the way down, so stopped and lessened weight).
[B]125# X 5
125# X 5
125# X 5
[/B][B][U]I did these in socks (no shoes) [/U][/B]and really concentrated on form. I feel like I'm still not "getting it" as many of the reps felt as though I was too forward on my feet. Hope to work with a strength coach before the cert...

[B]GTG Pull-ups: Total all = 34.
Dead Hang: 3 UH, 3 OH, 3 OH, 5 OH, 4 UH, 3 UH = 21 total
Kipping PUs: 5, 4, 4 = 13 total.

Thrusters:
45# X 45 reps. Time = 2:34

Seated Cable Rows:
WU: 100# X 15
145# X 5
150# X 5
155# X 5
160# X 5
100# X 15 X 2

[/B]

[/I][/QUOTE]

Wow, Steve! That's a ton of work!!

I saw you are lifting in socks. I used to do that, too. I got a pair of lifting shoes (Dowins) from the CFH for Christmas and it has made a big difference for me in terms of stability. May not work for you but thought I would mention it.

Your workouts are incredible! How long do they take you?

Stephen R. Lampl 02-04-2009 02:06 PM

[quote=Justin McGinley;510511]Watch all of these videos for squat form issues and their critiques:

[URL]http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1334[/URL] (Not exactly wfs because of some foul language) It is advice given by Mark Rippetoe on squatting.

I learned a lot about my own faults from watching these, so I hope they help.[/quote]

Justin,

Thanks, Man! You are always the supportive and encouraging "dude." Looks like just what the Dr. ordered. Felt a lot more stability today doing OHS with a kindo stick. Not that they are the same as BS, but the vertical plane my body's center of mass travels through is the same for OHS/BS.

Stephen R. Lampl 02-04-2009 02:16 PM

[quote=Lee Ann McCall;510560]Wow, Steve! That's a ton of work!!

I saw you are lifting in socks. I used to do that, too. I got a pair of lifting shoes (Dowins) from the CFH for Christmas and it has made a big difference for me in terms of stability. May not work for you but thought I would mention it.

Your workouts are incredible! How long do they take you?[/quote]

Hey Lee Ann,

Thanks! I need to get a pair of lifting shoes, but for now, I want to feel the drive from my heels and ensure my form is spot on (which at this time, it is not.....). I also recently bought a pair of training flats (New Balance 600s) which are wonderful to run in and have almost no heel counter. I feel like my hips still want to come forward just a bit with them however, so I'll probably not do BS or OHS with them on.

As for my workouts, they take, on average, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, including the warm-ups. I try to cover the Main Page WOD (if it is not beyond my capabilities or can be scaled) and then add a little strength work each day. If the metcon involves strength work, I'll play with double under practice or something like that.....One caveat; I tend to like to gab with others, so if I really got down to business and just worked out, you could probably take fifteen minutes to half and hour off my WO time....:D

Stephen R. Lampl 02-04-2009 02:28 PM

[B][I]WEDNESDAY 090204

Warm-up:
Elliptical Trainer: [/I][/B][I]10:00 / L3 / 90 RPM / 2.5 mi / HR = 106
[B]CFWU X 2.[/B] Added leg swings - -front to back / side to side 10 X 2 each, plus shoulder dislocates, trunk rotations, and body circles. Took it [B]very easy[/B] with the GHD sit-ups, did not go for full extension (touching the floor) and did reps [B]slowly[/B]. No problems...
[B]Jump Rope singles: 100 x 3
Double under practice: [/B]10:00. [B]Got 3 in a row, then 2 more. [/B](J,J, DU, J, J, DU). Most were J, J, Trip......Still have not found a way to keep the rope going after each DU.

[B]WOD: "Nicole"
AMRAP in 20 minutes
400m Run
Max Reps Pull-ups

Got 5 full rounds plus 90m run. Pullups were 4, 3, 5, 3, 3, = 18.
[/B]My pull-ups [B]SUCKED[/B]. New pull-up bar at the globo. It's too close to the wall for my "improper" kipping style, so all the pull-ups were kinda "quasi-kipped" / hanging. The runs felt good - - this is the farthest I've run thus far since my injury, so I am still taking it easy....2:24 per 400m.
[/I]

Lee Ann McCall 02-05-2009 05:52 AM

If this is taking it easy, I can't wait to see your full on workouts! This is a lot of work. No wonder you have made so much progress!!!